• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, I've found Aversa's Night, and Kata's bolt (30% base crit is nuts) to be used more often along with brave weapons than any of the 'regalia'. Legendary weapons don't seem to pack enough additional 'oomph' in a lot of instances to overcome uber-forged Brave weapons (save for Nidhogg and the STR+5 ones, which are helpful with Sol for the non-magic users)

Katarina's Bolt is the *best* Thunder-based spell in this game, if not flatout best offensive spells in the game. Although Mjolnir's animation looks awesome.

I stick Mjolnir with the Avatar and forged Katarina's Bolt with Brady and Noire--along with forged Aversa's Night for the latter just for shit and giggles.

I wish they would have told me that before I turned tharja into one. :(

Oh well. Is it lv10 promoted when I can switch to another promoted class with second seal?

At the very least stick with it up to 15 to get Lifetaker, one of the game's best skills.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I wish they would have told me that before I turned tharja into one. :(

Oh well. Is it lv10 promoted when I can switch to another promoted class with second seal?

At least get the Lifetaker skill first. It's one of the best skills in the game.

Einbroch

Banned
Chapter 10. Man, them feels.

The music. The rain. MUSTAFAAAA. I didn't want to kill him. You could tell he was a good man. Damn you, Chrom. You were boring before, now you're just a jerk.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, sorcerers are just too ridiculous in this game.

I mean, the ability to wield dark tomes and stuff like Katarina's Bolt and Mjolnir and Rexcalibur and shit?

It would be better If they can only use dark tomes so at least people have reasons to not turn everybody into Sorcerers, hahaha.

At the very least make their defense low like typical magic units, but noooooooooooo......................

The music. The rain. MUSTAFAAAA. I didn't want to kill him. You could tell he was a good man. Damn you, Chrom. You were boring before, now you're just a jerk.

You know what's the most ridiculous thing about the whole affair?

The fact that the paralogue map to recruit Anna appears before that. "Chrom, we must hurry!!!" "Wait, I want to go at the other side of the map first to recruit someone I barely even know!" Hahaha.

Well, you don't have to do it right away, true. But still, silly.

Einbroch

Banned
You know what's the most ridiculous thing about the whole affair?

The fact that the paralogue map to recruit Anna appears before that. "Chrom, we must hurry!!!" "Wait, I want to go at the other side of the map first to recruit someone I barely even know!" Hahaha.

Well, you don't have to do it right away, true. But still, silly.

Hell yeah! Paralogue > Story. Duh.

My Ricken is tearing things apart. Him (just a Mage so far), Rena (my main character Mercenary), Stahl (Great Knight), and Donnel (still just a Villager, but dem stat gains) are just too strong.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh, alright. Might as well stick with it now that I've done it.

If nothing else, it's a tanky cavalry mage who can still switch to swords when facing other mages with higher Resistances. It's got a lot of options.

And lifetaker is indeed really good.

At least get the Lifetaker skill first. It's one of the best skills in the game.

While true, I think sol is better in the long run (if you have the option, of course).

A guaranteed chance to gain half your life after a fight is awesome, but since it only happens on your turn, when Sol can (I think?) happen on an enemy's turn in 'response' to being damaged, wouldn't that be better for overall survival on any map that isn't Death's Embrace?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
While true, I think sol is better in the long run (if you have the option, of course).

A guaranteed chance to gain half your life after a fight is awesome, but since it only happens on your turn, when Sol can (I think?) happen on an enemy's turn in 'response' to being damaged, wouldn't that be better for overall survival on any map that isn't Death's Embrace?

Well, Sol competes its activation proc with many awesome skills too such as Astra, while Lifetaker is freed from such restriction.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

I prefer Sol as well, but being able to get a full health restore on a unit with Galeforce is nice for the ones the can't get Sol. Also, it doesn't conflict with other skills like Luna and Ignis.

Yeah. ;.; If you want more of those feels, a character will automatically join your army at the start of Chapter 13. Get that character's supports with Ricken as they deal with that same kind of subject.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I prefer Sol as well, but being able to get a full health restore on a unit with Galeforce is nice for the ones the can't get Sol. Also, it doesn't conflict with other skills like Luna and Ignis.

True, I had forgotten about the conflict, since I generally only use one offensive skill.

Armsthrift+Limit Break+(insertweapon)faire+Galeforce(or vantage/a certain breaker skill if not applicable) doesn't tend to leave much room, lol.

Another reason to wish for more built-in class skills to keep things more...balanced and less about which class has access to dark magic (read:Nosferatu) or Galeforce+Armsthrift while being able to snag the most support skills along the way.

Sumia and Gaius's supports summed up in one word:

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Well, Sumia and Chrom's is basically PIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES, so there's that.

Of course, the best thing is not having to choose at all. And just throwing Renewal on top for good measure. Like so (All Stats+2 is just a filler because I stopped caring and got bored at that point and don't have the Limit Breaker DLC (haven't bought it because I've spent more than I planned to on DLC as it is and will probably spend more once the Bonds DLC come out, don't really need it, and can't be bothered to grind my units up more to make use of the higher stat caps anyway), or else that would probably replace it):
fire_emblem_awakeningakkol.png

Redundant? Perhaps. But too tempting not to do on one character, just for the sake of having something different like this (and SpotPass Tiki is the only character I've done this on). xD

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So is anyone having trouble accessing the outrealm DLC shop?

I go to the screen where it says you have to use touchscreen, click ok and it kicks me back.

Gvaz

Banned
Of course, the best thing is not having to choose at all. And just throwing Renewal on top for good measure. Like so (All Stats+2 is just a filler because I stopped caring and got bored at that point and don't have the Limit Breaker DLC (haven't bought it because I've spent more than I planned to on DLC as it is and will probably spend more once the Bonds DLC come out, don't really need it, and can't be bothered to grind my units up more to make use of the higher stat caps anyway), or else that would probably replace it):
fire_emblem_awakeningakkol.png

Redundant? Perhaps. But too tempting not to do on one character, just for the sake of having something different like this (and SpotPass Tiki is the only character I've done this on). xD

Well as long as you're not going to buy the hardest dlc that is more than enough for the game proper.

elsewise all stats +2 is a shitty skill

Turok_TTZ

huehuehuehue I currently have my spotpass tiki with sword and tome breaker, armsthrift, and renewal. limit break is ofc on. gotta get rid of weakness to falchion, wyrmslayers, and book of nagas somehow. good thing there is no stone breaker ahuahuahua!

desverger

I have a weird issue regarding the DLC. I just reached the Outrealm Gate, and when I enter it and try to buy anything, all I get is a message "Use touch controls in the following menus" - I press OK, and it throws me back to the main menu of the Outrealm Gate, and I'm unable to buy any of the maps.

What gives? I'm in Europe, my eShop and 3ds region is set to Finland.

Resilient

I have no idea what anybody is talking about in this thread. I'm up to Chapter 6 and I feel like I'm doing everything wrong because oh god what do all these terms mean. Should I care or just keep playing? I started on Normal, Classic.

Chrom

I have a weird issue regarding the DLC. I just reached the Outrealm Gate, and when I enter it and try to buy anything, all I get is a message "Use touch controls in the following menus" - I press OK, and it throws me back to the main menu of the Outrealm Gate, and I'm unable to buy any of the maps.

What gives? I'm in Europe, my eShop and 3ds region is set to Finland.

It's my understanding that multiple Europeans are experiencing this issue. Don't know why it's happening, though.

I have no idea what anybody is talking about in this thread. I'm up to Chapter 6 and I feel like I'm doing everything wrong because oh god what do all these terms mean. Should I care or just keep playing? I started on Normal, Classic.

Play however you want.

Are you reading the tutorial slides? They should explain everything. Plus, you can click on practically everything with your stylus, and a description will pop up.

But there is no "wrong" way to play this game. Past Fire Emblems could be pretty strict, but this one grants the player unprecedented freedom.

zoukka

Started with hard and permadeath. Already lost one character in the fourth mission... dat critical hit on a full health character...

Loving the game. Amazing production values, incredible performance (zero loading, 60fps map mode) and the story doesn't make me want to murder my eyes like most JRPG do.

Best game on 3DS?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Started with hard and permadeath. Already lost one character in the fourth mission... dat critical hit on a full health character...

Loving the game. Amazing production values, incredible performance (zero loading, 60fps map mode) and the story doesn't make me want to murder my eyes like most JRPG do.

Best game on 3DS?

Yep.

Let's see how Shin Megami Tensei IV tries to wrestle this title later.

Well, Sol competes its activation proc with many awesome skills too such as Astra, while Lifetaker is freed from such restriction.

Not really. Sol is only behind Lethality, Aether, and Astra in priority, and it has a higher chance of activation than any of those, or any other occult/mastery skill that isn't Luna or Vengeance.

Oxx

That's as far as I have gone so far too, I feel like the thread has passed me by.

zoukka

That's as far as I have gone so far too, I feel like the thread has passed me by.

Well you can't expect to know things people who have finished the game and played the previous entries do. Part of the fun is learning through mistakes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not really. Sol is only behind Lethality, Aether, and Astra in priority, and it has a higher chance of activation than any of those, or any other occult/mastery skill that isn't Luna or Vengeance.

Well, it still competes regardless, because if Sol happens in a strike then in that strike Astra cannot happen, just like Lethality or Aether or Ignis or Luna or Vengeance. It's not like when performing Astra Sol can proc.

See, Lifetaker doesn't have to worry about that.

Lach

Perfectly put....We're in the same boat...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Aw, henry and lissa is pretty cute together, though I pretty much got them together because there wasn't any other viable male option for lissa.

Daedardus

What kind of game is this? Grid-based movement? Turn based battles? No QTE's? Items break? Permadeath? Lots of text? No guns? No nukes?
I love every single bit of this game :D.

Top Bottom