• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Kainazzo

Aw, henry and lissa is pretty cute together, though I pretty much got them together because there wasn't any other viable male option for lissa.

I put her together with Ricken, as her War Cleric defense fits well with him. Their supports are pretty awkward; there's no way she'd ever be romantically interested in him without me forcing her to.

Does Ricken really hit it off with anyone? One of the children? He and Henry always seemed the odd ones out. Henry because he's too one dimensional, and Ricken because he just doesn't seem ready for a marriage, let alone a relationship.

Virion with Cordelia's fun too, if only because Severa looks great with blue hair. Inheriting bowfaire makes him completely useless though.

m0t0k1

So anybody bought the harvest dlc yet? Is it any good? I am thinking about buying the golden dlc but i already have a shitload of money like 20k and still some bullions left like 30k in the convey so i am wondering if i really need it. Also have 2 master seals left with all characters i wanted to promote up and like 12 second seals so i dont need to buy those for the moment.

one_kill

How's the scramble pack and harvest pack DLC sets?

So anybody bought the harvest dlc yet? Is it any good? I am thinking about buying the golden dlc but i already have a shitload of money like 20k and still some bullions left like 30k in the convey so i am wondering if i really need it. Also have 2 master seals left with all characters i wanted to promote up and like 12 second seals so i dont need to buy those for the moment.
I'm thinking the EXP and Regalia xenologues would be good for leveling up my weaker characters and getting some rare gear, but not sure if it's at all worth the asking price.

m0t0k1

How's the scramble pack and harvest pack DLC sets?

I'm thinking the EXP and Regalia xenologues would be good for leveling up my weaker characters and getting some rare gear, but not sure if it's at all worth the asking price.

Gold always comes in handy in the harder mode. So you can create forged weapons and easiliy buy the seals. Regelia is a 4 star difficulty map so you can only beat the enemies at the end of the game. at this time you can class your units to have armshift. So the legendary weapons you have will not broke so won't really be needed. And yeah i am intreseted in dialog but i am looking more forward to play future of dispair in that part. And watch the harvest pack on youtube or something.

McNum

Oh, the DLC works again. Got a Spotpass Notification saying Anna has stuff for me, sure enough, there it is. Also got a free Tyrfing and Sacred Stones characters are now getting Spotpassed. Now that there are characters from two different games, does that mean I get two characters per day or just one in a randomly picked game? It'll take a while to get a full set if it's the latter.

Since I don't see any games I want in May, I think my game budget for May is going to be Fire Emblem DLC. Got the Champions, Golden, and Scramble packs now. Fire Emblem Awakening may end up as the first game I get all the DLC for...

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Donnel's a fucking monster, jesus christ. I made him a horse archer class after getting his level up to 30 and he is now unstoppable!

ffdgh

You....actually kept Donnel a villager for all 30 levels? o_O.

Bowknight is a new take but atlease he's owning as usual lol.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You....actually kept Donnel a villager for all 30 levels? o_O.

Hell yeah man, the guy's got like 50+HP from all those lovely stats with it, the boy is now a man full on killing fucking machine! I used the respawn item in one of the towns for a lot of low level conquests then went higher and did some grinding and built up good character relationships. I did that for like 1-2 hours last night, I am getting hooked with all my team, wanting them to be all high class level and getting damn beasts.

I didn't even need to use my main character for a while since he was so OP with his magic and shit :lol: I fucking love this game! I am only on chapter 12!

NeonZ

Oh, the DLC works again. Got a Spotpass Notification saying Anna has stuff for me, sure enough, there it is. Also got a free Tyrfing and Sacred Stones characters are now getting Spotpassed. Now that there are characters from two different games, does that mean I get two characters per day or just one in a randomly picked game? It'll take a while to get a full set if it's the latter.

The Fire Emblem team should be completed automatically (10 characters) now that you're receiving Sacred Stones characters.

McNum

The Fire Emblem team should be completed automatically (10 characters) now that you're receiving Sacred Stone characters.
Oh, you can scroll down... Don't I feel silly now.

So we're getting them in the release order here? After Sacred Stones it would be Path of Radiance? Gotta say, if there's a Black Knight Spotpass character, I am giving my avatar an armorslayer and farming him. Just on principle, really.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So how are the initial 4 skills given to the child characters calculated? Also how do you reissue the skills?

Going through nah's mission right now and all she has is tantivy, odd rhythm and sol. Sol is nice but I wish she has aptitude and underdog.

McNum

So how are the initial 4 skills given to the child characters calculated? Also how do you reissue the skills?

Going through nah's mission right now and all she has is tantivy, odd rhythm and sol. Sol is nice but I wish she has aptitude and underdog.
I believe the children get the 5th skill on the list. So restart the mission with a reordered skill list so Underdog is fifth and Nah will get it. Sol is pretty nice, though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Since they're level 10, they have their own 2 class skills (except for Nah/Yarne, since Manakete/Taguel is a 30 level class), plus whatever 2 skills are present on the parent's list as soon as the chapter starts. (You can back out of a chapter and reselect skills if you need to)

There are a few exception, such as Chrom's female kids always getting Aether, and male kids getting rightful king even if Chrom hasn't learned them yet, as well as potential character spoiler:
Aversa
always giving shadowgift.

IIRC, this means you can have another skill at the bottom, and they will get both skills. Not 100% certain though, that's too far back for me to remember how I did it, lol.

Reissuing skills is a little bit counter-intuitive, you have to 'remove' a skill from the list into the main bank, then put it back in, where it will be last.

Well, she can't get both of those from Donnel, only one from each parent, so in this case, she's getting Sol from Donny and Tantivy from Nowi. You could put one of Donny's skills you mentioned as his 'last' skill to get Nah to inherit it instead of Sol.

Antiwhippy

Huh, alright. Gotcha.

Which do you think I should give her, aptitude or sol? Aptitude seems like it could be really good in the long run.

Jintor

Was poking around with the Harvest DLC. Thought all the monsters were easy - didn't look at their skills.

Oops, suddenly counter. Oops, survive at 1 hp because of 50 luck stat. Oops, killed your training character.

Back to dueling random streetpass teams, I guess

one_kill

Just beat my first playthrough. The game is awesome!

I'm not sure if I'll start a new game any time soon since I really want to get into the mechanics of the game the second time 'round.

McNum

Huh, alright. Gotcha.

Which do you think I should give her, aptitude or sol? Aptitude seems like it could be really good in the long run.
Underdog!

Yes, really! Underdog gives you a boost when your level is lower than the enemy's. Manakete caps at 30, enemies cap at 20/20. You'll be 10 levels less. You can even use a second seal and boot Nah back to Manakete 1 and have Underdog bonuses against everyone.

Because Manakete is a base class with caps like a promoted class. Abuse that.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh, alright. Gotcha.

Depends on how much you wanna grind. Aptitude is really good until you get to end-game, where pretty much anyone can have maxed stats with enough Risen/Streetpass abuse, so theoretically, Donny could have passed something better (like a normally male exclusive skill or one of the high end STR+5 weapon-'faire' skills so that Nah doesn't have to go through a certain promoted class)

Something like Sol is technically 'better' to have in the long run, but Merc->Hero is a great leveling class for Nah as well, so in this case, if you're not planning on using Nah as a rally bot (from Rally Str+4 from a Warrior), Aptitude is fine.

BowieZ

Banned
This game could really do with the Kid Icarus trading card treatment (lack of AR notwithstanding). Real treasure trove of characters, items, stats, chapters/stages, relationships...

Idde

Just bought a 3DS specially for this. Downloading as I type. Played the GBA, GCN and Wii games to death. Skipped the DS remakes because of mediocre word of mouth. Apparently this is "the best Fire Emblem ever", or is that just hyperbole?

Needless to say, I'm stoked!

Error downloading. Fuck.

Draxal

Just bought a 3DS specially for this. Downloading as I type. Played the GBA, GCN and Wii games to death. Skipped the DS remakes because of mediocre word of mouth. Apparently this is "the best Fire Emblem ever", or is that just hyperbole?

Needless to say, I'm stoked!

Error downloading. Fuck.

It's the best to some, worse for others. If you like the gba ones over the gnc/wii ones you'll like this one alot, if you don't you'd probably prefer the gnc/wii ones over this one.

Antiwhippy

Underdog!

Yes, really! Underdog gives you a boost when your level is lower than the enemy's. Manakete caps at 30, enemies cap at 20/20. You'll be 10 levels less. You can even use a second seal and boot Nah back to Manakete 1 and have Underdog bonuses against everyone.

Because Manakete is a base class with caps like a promoted class. Abuse that.

Depends on how much you wanna grind. Aptitude is really good until you get to end-game, where pretty much anyone can have maxed stats with enough Risen/Streetpass abuse, so theoretically, Donny could have passed something better (like a normally male exclusive skill or one of the high end STR+5 weapon-'faire' skills so that Nah doesn't have to go through a certain promoted class)

Something like Sol is technically 'better' to have in the long run, but Merc->Hero is a great leveling class for Nah as well, so in this case, if you're not planning on using Nah as a rally bot (from Rally Str+4 from a Warrior), Aptitude is fine.

Hmm, alright.

I'll have to think more about it. God, child rearing is hard. :p

m0t0k1

Was poking around with the Harvest DLC. Thought all the monsters were easy - didn't look at their skills.

Oops, suddenly counter. Oops, survive at 1 hp because of 50 luck stat. Oops, killed your training character.

Back to dueling random streetpass teams, I guess

How is the dialog in itself? Can you talk to all your characters? Are there special clothes?

Jintor

I didn't finish it, but from a brief look it seems as though certain characters have 'talk' options on the battlefield with other characters (and they're even multi-part! At least one two-parter). Not all characters with all other characters though

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just go underdog, it has a shot at appearing on and endgame Nah; aptitude doesn't. Of course you could always pass counter; but I think counters kinda overrated.

Overrated? I've never seen anyone say counter is good. Unless that's the joke.

Axefaire is probably the best male-exclusive skill, excluding Sol in instances where the father only has the fighter class and not mercenary.

Antiwhippy

Is hit/avoid +15 that good? Then again the only reason why donnel is a goddamn beast now is because he's dodging all the time.

Draxal

Overrated? I've never seen anyone say counter is good. Unless that's the joke.

Axefaire is probably the best male-exclusive skill, excluding Sol in instances where the father only has the fighter class and not mercenary.

People like it for trolling streetpass, but since it's so easy to counter in streetpass. I think its overrated in that regard. Donnel can't pass axefaire.

I like passing rally str on the male avatar, to create perfect cheerleader Morgan.

I actually did pass off counter on my Gaius/Tharja - Noire. Just to try it out on a sniper build with pass.

Jintor

I don't give a shit how "Fire Emblem" it is, if a team of wyverns can suddenly reinforce behind me and in a single turn swarm my defenceless healer with zero indication that was about to happen tactically on the map besides 'Oh shit wyverrns', that's complete fucking bullshit.

SOFT RESET

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't give a shit how "Fire Emblem" it is, if a team of wyverns can suddenly reinforce behind me and in a single turn swarm my defenceless healer with zero indication that was about to happen tactically on the map besides 'Oh shit wyverrns', that's complete fucking bullshit.

SOFT RESET

The only map that doesn't warn about reinforcements (IIRC) is Chapter 13. 24 and 25 might not, I don't remember.

Jintor

Jesus fuck just soft reset because the auto for staff characters is to heal instead of pair up. Ended up still in range, died to a single steel axe hit

damn you muscle memory!

Ultrabum

Is there any reason not to pair all of your characters on the first turn for all maps? Kinda makes the fact that single characters on adjacent tiles can help useless....

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason not to pair all of your characters on the first turn for all maps? Kinda makes the fact that single characters on adjacent tiles can help useless....

Sometimes having more available units is more important than the stat boost from pairing.

Ultrabum

Sometimes having more available units is more important than the stat boost from pairing.

Ya, can you give me an example of a time like that?

Because most maps it seems if I'm in range of 1 guy, then about 3 others are in range. And the single chars are weaker so there's a good chance they will die.

I am new to the series, but familiar with the genre. Just trying to understand.

It seems like most times I don't attack I just wait for them to attack paired characters and die.

Jintor

God I want to throw my 3ds at the wall. Fuck you desert full of wyverns. Fuck you all! I can't manouver for shit and there's fucking wyvernes with axes fucking everywhere! Gotta rush into danger to pick up this goddamn war monk while staying out of the way of this foxy dark mage so I can recruit her? The inability to manouver is frustrating as shit! And then you get ambushed by fucking wyvernes halfway through? FML

Blockers, when it's important to try and funnel enemy units in certain directions

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Because most maps it seems if I'm in range of 1 guy, then about 3 others are in range. And the single chars are weaker so there's a good chance they will die.

It seems like most times I don't attack I just wait for them to attack paired characters and die.

A lot of it just depends on the map and what you're doing. For example, you might want to project a weaker unit you are trying to work up by surrounding them or making a wall in front of them at times. It's easier to manage that with 9 characters than it is with 4 pairs and a straggler unit.

Another example is when you need to split up to cover two parts of a map. Having everyone paired up basically divides your forces by 4 instead of by 2 in that case.

I think it also makes it harder to level up your characters unless you are constantly switching between them. Having your units available to go in and get kills makes it easier to level them up, if they're in a pair only one of those units is going to get significant experience that turn (or any at all).

Playing defensively also isn't always a good strategy since you're giving the enemy pick of the litter in terms of who to attack. You can lure, but as much as enemies tend to rush in this game eventually you're going to have your back against the wall. This means your weaker units are going to be disadvantaged, so a knight is going to be targeted by that hammer or armorslayer, your healer is probably going to get criticaled by that killer lance, etc.

One chapter i found this to be useful is the chapter where u have to recruit
tiki
where having a lot more reliable single units helped make the map a lot easier

Christ I'm so angry at this fucking desert map and these fucking super manouverable WYVERNS

have you tried leaving some of your stronger units in the back to fight em off? also i think mages dont lose mobility in the sand so try to use that as well as peg knights to get around a bit( make sure u watch out for archers though)

zroid

Banned
God I want to throw my 3ds at the wall. Fuck you desert full of wyverns. Fuck you all! I can't manouver for shit and there's fucking wyvernes with axes fucking everywhere! Gotta rush into danger to pick up this goddamn war monk while staying out of the way of this foxy dark mage so I can recruit her? The inability to manouver is frustrating as shit! And then you get ambushed by fucking wyvernes halfway through? FML

ahahahaha

stupid wyverns :[

I had to throw an already overpowered Chrom at them. Didn't want to use him at that point, but anything else would've meant certain doom.

Top Bottom