• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Javier

So much DLC already.

I guess I want more gold and more money?

There isn't much in the way of description in-game (unless I am missing something).
Golden Gaffe is the map to grind for gold. You can also buy the Golden Pack for the Gold grind map, the EXP grind map, and the A-Rank Weapon grind map. Saves $1.50 if you're planning to get all 3 maps.

Today's DLC is out.

Path of Radiance (and Radiant Dawn?) had a fixed growth option, and while it wasn't as "fixed" as the name might make it sound, without abusing the system your units will generally end up as balanced as you would imagine they should be. Nothing ridiculous like your mage having 34 strength and 9 magic. I think that would be a good thing to keep for the series as a whole, but as an option like it was in that game.

Radiant Dawn's version was just their Battle Exp, which always gave you exactly 3 stat ups when you leveled up with it. Not so great when your unit is still new, but pretty awesome once they maxed their regular stats as it would force stat gains in stuff they'll probably never get.

Roster Rescue and Scramble Pack are up!

:eek:

Which one are those?

You really shouldn't have to grind, even on hard mode. Even in my screwed up hard mode run the only grinding I did was to raise some characters to match the rest of my party and I was still able to beat it, despite my units being significantly outmatched by the enemies in the last chapter.

Yeah, the only time there is an actual need to grind is to unlock the paralogues for those characters that you never really use.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Radiant Dawn's version was just their Battle Exp, which always gave you exactly 3 stat ups when you leveled up with it. Not so great when your unit is still new, but pretty awesome once they maxed their regular stats as it would force stat gains in stuff they'll probably never get.

I remember that, but I didn't remember if it had a fixed growth option like PoR did.

I abused the hell out of RD's BEXP though, late-game I'd intentionally get my characters close to levels so I could use BEXP to get a guaranteed 3 stats up instead of ??? from the typical level up.

My Nephenee had capped every single stat as a 20/20/16 Sentinel. But I partially blame that on her unfortunately poor stat caps.

How is the dialog in itself? Can you talk to all your characters? Are there special clothes?

Harvest of Bonds only has conversations, the other two is when you get the CG of some characters in swimsuits and kimono's.

There's actually a list here with all the available conversations in the DLC, including Bonds, for anyone wanting to know who can speak with each other without having to test it out by themselves

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_convo.html

I have issues with that tharja x libra pairing :p

Your not the only one :D

Though for me, it has more to do with the ending of their S support butchering their pairing.

This is my first FE ever btw, any advice or tips so I don't make mistakes early on?

Press A on any enemy to find out their movement space so you can plan ahead. You can do this with single or multiple enemies at once depending on your choice. Or, you can just press X to find out the movements for all of them.

I remember that, but I didn't remember if it had a fixed growth option like PoR did.

I abused the hell out of RD's BEXP though, late-game I'd intentionally get my characters close to levels so I could use BEXP to get a guaranteed 3 stats up instead of ??? from the typical level up.

My Nephenee had capped every single stat as a 20/20/16 Sentinel. But I partially blame that on her unfortunately poor stat caps.

Don't think RD had PoR's convoluted way of gaining stats.

Awesome, I thought we'd have to wait more for the Bonds DLC.

Also, Priam's map should be out now too, right?

SpotPass stuff usually comes out an hour after the DLC.

Draxal

What's the large tactical difference between magic users and bow users?

Bow uses Str and it checks on the enemy def.

Magic us Mag and it checks on the enemy res.

For the most part, most units have lower res then def.

Magic also attacks adjacent and 2 squares away. Bows only attack 2 squares away (unless you have a sniper with a long bow which attacks 3 squares away).

How hard is this game to find? I'm in Canada, btw.

Also, how do people have over 100 hours into this game, when it takes 20ish hours to beat? Is there a lot of replay value? NG+? etc?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How hard is this game to find? I'm in Canada, btw.

Also, how do people have over 100 hours into this game, when it takes 20ish hours to beat? Is there a lot of replay value? NG+? etc?

DLC and collecting/grinding for skills/max stats. It's not a hard game to put a ton of time into if you want to do more than the main story.

TWILT

Banned
New DLC is already bought.

EDIT: Man, why can't the eShop take the exact amount of money? Now I'm left with $5, which I'm sure isn't enough for the next batch of DLC. Sigh...

Okamid3n

New DLC is already bought.

EDIT: Man, why can't the eShop take the exact amount of money? Now I'm left with $5, which I'm sure isn't enough for the next batch of DLC. Sigh...

It can take the exact amount of money when buying games. Are you sure there isn't an "add funds" option in the DLC screen that lets you add exact amount of money?? If so, that's dumb.

I'd check, but I'm too busy playing the new DLC.

TrueBlue

So the Golden Pack and Scramble Pack have become available to me (EU player). Would it be more worthwhile financially to buy these packs or get the content separate?

Furthermore, my Great Lord Chrom has reached lvl 20. I reclassed him very early on (I think he was a lvl 13 Lord). Should I Second Seal him back to Lord?

What's an easy way to make money? I bought a goddess icon and a wyrmslayer from a bonus merchant which left me penniless D:

Golden Gaffe DLC.

If on normal, you can buy reeking boxes and sell off the bullion loot from it. You'll always make a profit.

The game also tosses bullion at you like crazy.

Chrom

What's an easy way to make money? I bought a goddess icon and a wyrmslayer from a bonus merchant which left me penniless D:

The Golden Gaffe. If that's not an option, sell bullions.

So the Golden Pack and Scramble Pack have become available to me (EU player). Would it be more worthwhile financially to buy these packs or get the content separate?

Furthermore, my Great Lord Chrom has reached lvl 20. I reclassed him very early on (I think he was a lvl 13 Lord). Should I Second Seal him back to Lord?

The packs are cheaper than if you buy them all separately.

Don't go back to Lord.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say go to either Cavalier or Paladin. But Cavalier only if: the stats wouldn't be capped, and you still need weapon levels (discipline can come in handy).

And even though the packs are cheaper, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy 1 or 2 maps from a pack if you just want them for the rewards. Golden Pack is worth buying as a whole though.

Think I'll pass on buying the Scramble Pack until next week when Tharja's swimsuit CG becomes available.

Interested in Palla's map (best sister), but I'm waiting for opinions on if its more challenging then the previous two.

*Big Post*

Nice writeup, while I haven't finished the game yet I agree with a number of your points, particularly those related to grinding, pair up mechanic and reinforcements.

As of right now this entry still could end up being my 2nd favourite i've played in the series (that being out of all the localized entries) but it's not going to take the top spot away from Path of Radiance.

Javier

Wow, some of these convos in Harvest Scramble are way beyond "Getting crap past the radar" material. One in particular (
Tharja and Nowi's
) is probably the last thing you'd expect from a Nintendo game.

It's still hilarious, though.

TrueBlue

I'd say go to either Cavalier or Paladin. But Cavalier only if: the stats wouldn't be capped, and you still need weapon levels (discipline can come in handy).

And even though the packs are cheaper, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy 1 or 2 maps from a pack if you just want them for the rewards. Golden Pack is worth buying as a whole though.

I still need Lance leves, so I guess it's Cavalier for me?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So it was Scramble instead of Future of Despair. Oh well.

Looking forward to getting Palla when I get back from work.

This is the case for Rogues and Redeemers, I feel. Only the last one has anything of note (Limit Break) unless you really want Celica or Ephraim.

The other sets of 3 have 2 maps with some class scroll or skill reward save for the first set, but Marth was free, so I guess there's that.

traveler

Not Wario
You really shouldn't have to grind, even on hard mode. Even in my screwed up hard mode run the only grinding I did was to raise some characters to match the rest of my party and I was still able to beat it, despite my units being significantly outmatched by the enemies in the last chapter.

I think this could be an okay casual mode change, but I don't think I'd want it to be mandatory. That probably makes me sound like a masochist though.

While I halfway agree, what should the enemy goal be? Specifically target Chrom/the lord character? The enemy has no victory condition other than to make you lose.

Path of Radiance (and Radiant Dawn?) had a fixed growth option, and while it wasn't as "fixed" as the name might make it sound, without abusing the system your units will generally end up as balanced as you would imagine they should be. Nothing ridiculous like your mage having 34 strength and 9 magic. I think that would be a good thing to keep for the series as a whole, but as an option like it was in that game.

Yeah, my hard mode grinding was definitely on me for trying to utilize too many characters early on and trying to do too many paralogues/get support up to see all the kids. A straight main story run, stopping to grab the paralogues that I could, would have been doable without it. (And when I say grinding, I'm literally talking 3 or 4 challenges over the course of the game- I just didn't want to do any random encounters period so I consider any grinding) I have no idea how someone could beat Lunatic+ without grinding of some sort though.

Re:reinforcements. The highlights sound kind of lame, to be sure, and reinforcements as is are only challenging the first time they appear unexpectedly. I just want there to be some distinction to the preparation notice where you would actually incorporate it into your strategy, (which is, granted, the case for most maps with forts) rather than be prepared for an attack from anywhere, which is how pegasi from random edges of the map acting immediately feel. Only way to account for that is turtle mode.

I think the main change I would make with enemies would be more caution in positioning. I saw singular units dive through my lines to get to one war cleric despite the fact that it would definitely result in their deaths just so they could get a single kill. Instead of branching out and going for the weakest units in their individual range, I would like to see them move more in masse and show some awareness of the player's unit positioning, even the units outside their attack range. (Enemies in this game seem to have two modes- ignore all enemies until within attack range and then consider only those in range or move to attack until you can attack the first unit-
or Tiki, in the case of that fight
) Perhaps even hold off attacking until enough enemies would be in range to attack the front line units for the kill. Trying to bait the player would also be an interesting behavior, but the series would likely need to bring fog of war back for that to function effectively.

I haven't actually played the console FEs, just the handheld ones. I'll have to give both of them a shot sometime. How are they regarded within the series quality wise?

So just more items? No more classic teams? (Is there even a new one today? Seems like "Other" would be an appropriate place to end it.)

Others is the last set of SpotPass teams. We're done with those.

You get Bullions from random Risen maps right? Still haven't got any of those...

They should drop. Check the enemies to see which one has them. The boss of them usually drops something too, expect when you fight the random zombie ones I think.

Chrom

I'm guessing book of naga right? Probably more.

That was the first that came to mind, but I'm remembering that Armads, Double Bow, Forseti, and Gáe Bolg also still aren't out yet.

So just more items? No more classic teams? (Is there even a new one today? Seems like "Other" would be an appropriate place to end it.)

Only items, yes. Other is the last Bonus Team and we already got the last Bonus Challengers a while back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still need Lance leves, so I guess it's Cavalier for me?

Depends on stats. If it shows they will be in the mid-20s as a Cavalier when you check the second seal, just go to Paladin and focus on lances.

If they're still in the upper teens or so, Cavalier would be better.

I haven't actually played the console FEs, just the handheld ones. I'll have to give both of them a shot sometime. How are they regarded within the series quality wise?

The Tellius games are my favorites in the series. Still flawed in various ways though, from the functionality of the Laguz to the effectively unusable exp trap characters in Radiant Dawn.

Also, they have surprisingly solid stories for FE games. Especially Path of Radiance since it's almost entirely based around politics with minimal divine influence.

m0t0k1

Harvest of Bonds only has conversations, the other two is when you get the CG of some characters in swimsuits and kimono's.

There's actually a list here with all the available conversations in the DLC, including Bonds, for anyone wanting to know who can speak with each other without having to test it out by themselves

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_convo.html

Thanks for that will check it out. I Think i will skip out on the bonds pack, although sometimes i love me some fanservice.

Top Bottom