• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Shun

Are you making the OT for Fates?

I did for the the import If, I did for #FE, and I will be doing it for the localization of #FE and Fates.

The past 2 threads had rules and were pretty decent in terms of discussion and staying on track for the most part.

But seeing as how vitriol things have gotten with the slightest mention of the franchise here in the western discussion, I may consider dropping the OT if people aren't willing to compromise and self moderate reasonable discussion. I did what I could for my first 2 OTs but I don't really want to get into the constant reduction of the series. Especially since this was my first RPG and my favorite series on the Super famicom.

I don't know how fesoku and 2ch can be more civilized than some people when it comes to any mention of the series and the stupid stuff that has been introduce, but they arguably are.

kswiston

That... isn't really a concern. Yes, they had the best potential but you could easily crush Awakening with gen 1 units.

They made the harder extra content more doable. Especially if you passed on Galeforce.

EDIT: At the very least Severa and Cynthia make a huge difference. I also used Morgan, Noire, Owain and Inigo pretty frequently (in addition to Lucina).

Draxal

I'll be honest, I'm really surprised that there's so much backlash over this. I thought most people would be for it.

Maybe it's a thing where you only see the complainers on my part.

Who uses Auto Battle (fates video)

skill names:
Mysterious Appeal -
Supportive
Noble Lineage -
Nobility
Absolute Support -
Devoted Partner
Servant's Joy -
Live to Serve
Beautiful Flower -
Lily's Poise
Friendship Oath -
Vow of Friendship
Open Assault -
Elbow Room
Unlucky Soul -
Misfortunate
Super Stregnth -
Puissance
Blood Boiling -
Aching Blood
(now works with a name 12+ characters long)
Nohrian Restraint -
Kidnap.
Healing Voice -
Healing Descant.
Curse Reflection -
Countercurse

kswiston

I'll be honest, I'm really surprised that there's so much backlash over this. I thought most people would be for it.

Maybe it's a thing where you only see the complainers on my part.

Some people are just using Fire Emblem to continue the same ideological battles they have been fighting for the past 2-3 years on these boards. If this was one of your favourite series, I don't see how the removal of a minor feature that was absent for all 13 of the previous games would result in you boycotting the release.

Boycotting is a stupid phrase, almost as dumb as people calling this censorship. I probably won't be buying Fates but I've been vocal in this thread that my real problem is the three versions and the utter lack of supply for the version that combines them all, which I would have shelled out $80 for.

Its also going up against Street Fighter, another one of my favorite series and Im actually liking most of the SF V decisions.

Draxal

Boycotting is a stupid phrase, almost as dumb as people calling this censorship. I probably won't be buying Fates but I've been vocal in this thread that my real problem is the three versions and the utter lack of supply for the version that combines them all, which I would have shelled out $80 for.

Completely valid reason for not buying the game, the distribution model sure needs improvement.

kswiston

Boycotting is just a refusal to buy something out of protest. If you refuse to buy a game you would otherwise be interested in because they cut/change some feature, it's a boycott.

I too wish that the Special Edition wasn't limited to 12 copies. Especially since it seems to be about the same price as buying the base game and other two campaigns via DLC.

I'm also not refusing to buy the game. If they were to eventually restock the special edition I would pick it up. But this is Nintendo, so thats not happening. I'm just passing on it. It's not a personal vendetta and I'm not going to make a huge "MAN FUCK NINTENDO!!!" stink about it, I'm more disappointed then anything. This has made me realize that all the problems people have had with NoA over the years were actually pretty legit.

Seda

I did for the the import If, I did for #FE, and I will be doing it for the localization of #FE and Fates.

The past 2 threads had rules and were pretty decent in terms of discussion and staying on track for the most part.

But seeing as how vitriol things have gotten with the slightest mention of the franchise here in the western discussion, I may consider dropping the OT if people aren't willing to compromise and self moderate reasonable discussion. I did what I could for my first 2 OTs but I don't really want to get into the constant reduction of the series. Especially since this was my first RPG and my favorite series on the Super famicom.

I don't know how fesoku and 2ch can be more civilized than some people when it comes to any mention of the series and the stupid stuff that has been introduce, but they arguably are.

I'm not as active on GAF as I used to be (I'm /hopefully/ finishing a PhD in 5 months so yeah) so I can't really sit in the thread and monitor it when the game releases, especially considering it's probably going to move rapidly. Some other mods are interested in Fire Emblem (SteveYoungblood, Nirolak I think) and might pay some attention to the thread.

That said, I think setting rules will help. Basically, it's fine to express <disappointment/satisfaction> in localization decisions, but shitposting and flinging complaints at strawmen/boogeymen shouldn't fly. [Like, 'Americans are so puritan and sensitive!' or 'lol stay salty you anime nerds']. Discussion should be about the game (or series) first and foremost. If people want to discuss a more general ideology of localization/translation, that's fine here and there, but angrily balking about how IS/NoA/fans/otakus/whatever are ruining games is just going to stir shit and it has.

Whatever 'rules' are set, mods might need help from the OP or thread regulars in trying to keep things civilized. It may not be as bad as some of these current threads if people have the ""outrage"" out of their systems or whatnot.

Draxal

I'm also not refusing to buy the game. If they were to eventually restock the special edition I would pick it up. But this is Nintendo, so thats not happening. I'm just passing on it. It's not a personal vendetta and I'm not going to make a huge "MAN FUCK NINTENDO!!!" stink about it, I'm more disappointed then anything. This has made me realize that all the problems people have had with NoA over the years were actually pretty legit.

To be fair, this was a huge issue in Japan. They had to apologize and offer a second preorder window that sold old almost instantly as well.

Shun

Now that Fire Emblem is finally getting proper budgeting after years of Narihiro, do you think the franchise should expand its property to other genres?

They have opened it up with Cipher and #FE but I am talking more like Shining where they branched off from their original SRPG focus into a more all encompassing franchise that does other kinds of RPGs as well as a
shitty
fighting game.

There are reasons as to why Shining sells and maintains its niche and ability to pump out games. Sega still sees it as profitable. Fire Emblem is arguably hitting that same direction and trajectory post Awakening.

I wouldn't mind it if they were to keep the SRPGs as their focus, I would like to see what they are able to do to expand the IP. I know I might not get another Seisen no Keifu or Thracia 776 or Shin Monshou but I can at the very least do my best to enjoy whatever they have to offer left after 16+ years of investment into the series.

Or do you think they should just keep to the SRPG roots, regardless of their ability to make a good SRPG?

I'm not as active on GAF as I used to be (I'm /hopefully/ finishing a PhD in 5 months so yeah) so I can't really sit in the thread and monitor it when the game releases, especially considering it's probably going to move rapidly. Some other mods are interested in Fire Emblem (SteveYoungblood, Nirolak I think) and might pay some attention to the thread.

That said, I think setting rules will help. Basically, it's fine to express <disappointment/satisfaction> in localization decisions, but shitposting and flinging complaints at strawmen/boogeymen shouldn't fly. [Like, 'Americans are so puritan and sensitive!' or 'lol stay salty you anime nerds']. Discussion should be about the game (or series) first and foremost. If people want to discuss a more general ideology of localization/translation, that's fine here and there, but angrily balking about how IS/NoA/fans/otakus/whatever are ruining games is just going to stir shit and it has.

Whatever 'rules' are set, mods might need help from the OP or thread regulars in trying to keep things civilized. It may not be as bad as some of these current threads if people have the ""outrage"" out of their systems or whatnot.

I am not asking for any complete investment in policing and moderating, just wondering if the rules would be something that is okay for members and mods alike to self enforce. I put rules in the past and they have worked, but for Fates I am a little apprehensive considering how these things have turned out.

But thank you very much, I appreciate it. I will be implementing another rules section and hoping that people abide by it.

Draxal

Now that Fire Emblem is finally getting proper budgeting after years of Narihiro, do you think the franchise should expand its property to other genres?

They have opened it up with Cipher and #FE but I am talking more like Shining where they branched off from their original SRPG focus into a more all encompassing franchise that does other kinds of RPGs as well as a
shitty
fighting game.

There are reasons as to why Shining sells and maintains its niche and ability to pump out games. Sega still sees it as profitable. Fire Emblem is arguably hitting that same direction and trajectory post Awakening.

I wouldn't mind it if they were to keep the SRPGs as their focus, I would like to see what they are able to do to expand the IP. I know I might not get another Seisen no Keifu or Thracia 776 or Shin Monshou but I can at the very least do my best to enjoy whatever they have to offer left after 16+ years of investment into the series.

Or do you think they should just keep to the SRPG roots, regardless of their ability to make a good SRPG?

Really expecting a spinoff mobile title using Cipher assets. Don't know how it will be done.

I think Nintendo is still surprise had a boost in Popularity. I think they felt Awakening was a lucky hit, but shouldve been prepare for Fates launch.

If the Third game is a bigger hit but still has supply issues, somethings wrong.

To be fair, this was a huge issue in Japan. They had to apologize and offer a second preorder window that sold old almost instantly as well.

Yeah, thats Nintendo. I was never fond of the version system when it was announced, but I said to myself that I would get over it if they announced a version with all three together, and they couldn't even do that right. I'm just disappointed.

shitty
fighting game.

Not really sure where they would go with spinoffs other then crossovers with other series like SMT

Zolo

I'm not as active on GAF as I used to be (I'm /hopefully/ finishing a PhD in 5 months so yeah)

Good luck with your PhD!

This is pretty much why I've decided just not to visit those types of threads in at least gaming GAF anymore. It'd be one thing if it was just the occasional poster, but those types of comments at this point seem to dominate discussion on these types of topics on GAF. Not to mention the numerous witty one-liner many posters on GAF feel they need to post especially if it's right after the OP.

shitty
fighting game.

well... people keep on asking for FE musou....
tbh i don't care as long as it is fun to play and it's not terrible that makes me ragequit (i'm talking about you, shining resonance)

Good luck with your PhD!

This is pretty much why I've decided just not to visit those types of threads in at least gaming GAF anymore. It'd be one thing if it was just the occasional poster, but those types of comments at this point seem to dominate discussion on these types of topics on GAF. Not to mention the numerous witty one-liner many posters on GAF feel they need to post especially if it's right after the OP.

I feel the same. I've just stopped going into the controversy Fire Emblem threads, people are WAY more reasonable here. No shitflinging and reasonable discussion is actually happening here, and theres way less posts.

Shun

Shining sales have been declining, not increasing.

I didn't say they were increasing, I said that Sega has found a niche and a compromise where they can keep pumping games out and still make a profit.

They knew that even if Shining Resonance and their fighting game, Blade Arcus, were poorly received, that people will still buy it because Tony art and higher production values compared to what the competition offers.

Shining Hearts, Shining Blade, and the numerous Shining Crossovers in Chain Chronicle, Wonderland Wars, and several other IPs show that Shining is still a strong IP to use.

I'm going to ask this here since I don't want to check the Fates thread for spoilers, but I recall someone saying Japan didn't like the face rubbing minigame. Anyone have some sort of article about this? Preferably one without spoilers.

Draxal

I'm going to ask this here since I don't want to check the Fates thread for spoilers, but I recall someone saying Japan didn't like the face rubbing minigame. Anyone have some sort of article about this? Preferably one without spoilers.

It's in the Famitsu poll, but there's spoilers in the poll results.

General reaction was ... not really negative but not really positive ... lukewarm.

Actually, now looking at the poll results I don't see it there.

Man, I'm getting old.

Seda

I feel the same. I've just stopped going into the controversy Fire Emblem threads, people are WAY more reasonable here. No shitflinging and reasonable discussion is actually happening here, and theres way less posts.

Honestly, the pace of Gaming Side is typically just too fast for me. Yelling at clouds here, but when I joined back in 2009 (which isn't even 'early-days' GAF) it felt simply easier to hold discussions where now I feel there's a lot more chatting into the ether due to a much, much larger number of participants in general.

Don't underestimate how much GAF has grown since 2013, even. It's nuts.

Weebos

Banned
It's in the Famitsu poll, but there's spoilers in the poll results.

General reaction was ... not really negative but not really positive ... lukewarm.

Actually, now looking at the poll results I don't see it there.

Man, I'm getting old.

I vaguely remember seeing something like this as well, but not in enough detail to be helpful.

jzbluz

That prototype RPG-like on the Wii sounded interesting, so I wouldn't mind if they reworked that idea for the NX.

Honestly, the pace of Gaming Side is typically just too fast for me. Yelling at clouds here, but when I joined back in 2009 (which isn't even 'early-days' GAF) it felt simply easier to hold discussions where now I feel there's a lot more chatting into the ether due to a much, much larger number of participants in general.

I also mostly stick to OTs now despite not even having been here this long but I swear we've already had this discussion lol

I think another reason why its more reasonable here besides post count is that most people in this OT are way bigger FE fans.

Weebos

Banned
That's kind of sad to me. The mute option was a fairly large chunk of the game compared to a petting mini-game and a support conversation.

Fire Emblem wasn't as big until Awakening though, maybe it would have been bigger if the audience was bigger.

It was in dire straits in the West after FE12 wasn't localized.

Draxal

That's kind of sad to me. The mute option was a fairly large chunk of the game compared to a petting mini-game and a support conversation.

To be fair, most people didn't know about the mute stuff.

I wouldn't know, I only post in my community dungeons asides from the various FE threads here (CFB gaf LOL CHARLIE STRONG SUCKS/Fuck da Gators) and once a long time user gets permed, we get nobody to ever to replace them.

Wondering if anybody responds to my blatant bait.

pahamrick

Fire Emblem wasn't as big until Awakening though, maybe it would have been bigger if the audience was bigger.

It was in dire straits in the West after FE12 wasn't localized.

Yeah, that's true. My first Fire Emblem was Path of Radiance, but I've gone back and played as many of the earlier ones as possible.

To be fair, most people didn't know about the mute stuff.

Still disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of how things have been changed since Awakening, but if it means more Fire Emblem games I can deal with it. It's just disappointing what aspects of it are causing the largest outcry.

pahamrick

I know people were a lot more angry about the changes to Henry's character at least. IIRC people on Serenes Forest were kinda meh about mute Robin's removal.

I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't really find a reason to get upset / angry about changes to a character that I hadn't experienced originally. Whereas Mute Robin felt like a large omission in comparison.

coopolon

Can someone explain the changes being referred to? The mute robin and Henry change? Just playing through awakening now and it is my first fe game.

I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't really find a reason to get upset / angry about changes to a character that I hadn't experienced originally. Whereas Mute Robin felt like a large omission in comparison.

Most of Henry's support conversations were translated by the time the game came out in NA, so people had enough time to get a feel on Henry's character. Mute Robin IIRC, had no effect on anything. Everything proceeded as normal only Robin was pulling a Mario and saying nothing.

pahamrick

Most of Henry's support conversations were translated by the time the game came out in NA, so people had enough time to get a feel on Henry's character. Mute Robin IIRC, had no effect on anything. Everything proceeded as normal only Robin was pulling a Mario and saying nothing.

Really? I had been under the impression that there were a chunk of dialogue changes where him being mute would be referenced.

Top Bottom