• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

NeonZ

I know at least the witch DLC uses a map from Gaiden ( *v*)

(Specifically, it's one of the maps where you fight one of Sonia's sisters, I wanna say it's Mara but eh)

I meant that you won't get two DLC maps with the same map, just changed positions and units, unlike in Awakening, where the first season always used each map thrice, aside from the grinding DLC ones.

Although I had forgotten that Paradise Scramble and Battle for the Strongest Royal are basically the same thing.

What makes you think the marriage and children features are likely to be scaled back - I can understand why some of the additions that were excised in the US version of Fates drew criticism even in Japan, but I haven't seen anyone outside of a minority of bitter series fans complain about the focus on marriage and the child mechanic. I'd like it if they could finally drop them, but I've seen nothing to suggest that'd be a good decision on their part.

The series has randomly dropped features in the past. But, yes, I agree that it's unlikely they'll do it now, especially since Fates showed that they're willing to keep those features even if they're unrelated to the main plot - while many people expected that they always needed to be tied together.

They could drop them if they could think about some other way to give a satisfying bonus for getting a S ranking, but I don't think there's anything as relatively easily implemented and accessible, for that role, as the child system, since that ties together both gameplay (new unit) and story (follow up to the successful relationship with the child scenario and parent/children supports).

Seda

What makes you think the marriage and children features are likely to be scaled back - I can understand why some of the additions that were excised in the US version of Fates drew criticism even in Japan, but I haven't seen anyone outside of a minority of bitter series fans complain about the focus on marriage and the child mechanic. I'd like it if they could finally drop them, but I've seen nothing to suggest that'd be a good decision on their part.

The children in Awakening are of course deeply tied to the story there and the gameplay, creating a pretty fully cohesive mechanic. They show up in Fates too, likely largely because IS might as well reuse the systems/assets - although it's not quite as sensible the second time around as to why they show up (I believe?)

No doubt the children system is popular, and while they could just magically handwave how children and their parents keep being able to fight alongside each other in the same time (I mean without the parent being actually at proper parent ages), I'd have to imagine they'd tweak systems - even slightly - in some way even if it's just for variety. Maybe do a more regular time-skip instead of time travel, maybe have relationships affect characters in some other ways. Who knows.

Draxal

Lazuli?

Honestly, for the kids they were scaled back in this game compared to Awakening and none of them are that particularly popular (I think Kinu's the closest to the top). Where Inigo, Owain, and Lucina were incredibly popular in Awakening. (Severa wasn't that high in the polll iirc, but she was still the second highest second gen female in the poll). It also helps them avoid the gay kid issue by just not having kids at all.

As for scaling back the marriage, I just don't think they want to have everybody be able to ship with everybody in the cast, they'll limit the scope a bit to make it more manageable.

i dont know if this is off topic or not (but it is fire emblem related)

does anybody have the cipher art books? (Im curious about its contents eg. length and picture size)

Me and a friend really want them but spending a 100 dollars is pretty steep if the book is meh :/

Draxal

does anybody have the cipher art books? (Im curious about its contents eg. length and picture size)

Me and a friend really want them but spending a 100 dollars is pretty steep if the book is meh :/

I don't, I think Dakkamauji does, but I'd kinda recommend against it.

Here's a youtube video of it showing the content length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYCG7_FF9k

Just not enough meat on the bones for that price.

And honestly, this thread was just me posting cipher previews for a couple months, so I wouldn't consider it OT at all.

I'll get them in a week or something lol

my friend bought them for me at comiket, just need to ship them

but uh yeah, 100 bucks is pretty steep, that's too much

might as well go for the smaller guidebooks

Golnei

Honestly, for the kids they were scaled back in this game compared to Awakening and none of them are that particularly popular (I think Kinu's the closest to the top). Where Inigo, Owain, and Lucina were incredibly popular in Awakening. (Severa wasn't that high in the polll iirc, but she was still the second highest second gen female in the poll). It also helps them avoid the gay kid issue by just not having kids at all.

The flagging popularity of Fates' child characters could lead to them reconsidering, but considering Awakening's were so successful and Owain remained one of the more popular characters across games, it's plausible that they'd keep the mechanic and just go for a different approach in terms of the characters' personality and gimmicks. In any case, they definitely won't be making any substantial changes with same-sex relationships in mind.

Nina irks me because of Nyna, but that's just me being silly.

At that point, you might as well take issue with Oliver and Olivia.

tumblr_inline_o1l36shIxx1r6iiay_540.png

I don't, I think Dakkamauji does, but I'd kinda recommend against it.

Here's a youtube video of it showing the content length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYCG7_FF9k

Just not enough meat on the bones for that price.

And honestly, this thread was just me posting cipher previews for a couple months, so I wouldn't consider it OT at all.

its full art so thats a plus but man thats not really that long :/ i guess ill pass and hope i come across some time in the future for a better price

im starting to get into the card game because of the artwork (super tempted to buy set 3)

I'll get them in a week or something lol

my friend bought them for me at comiket, just need to ship them

but uh yeah, 100 bucks is pretty steep, that's too much

might as well go for the smaller guidebooks

are they similar ?

Draxal

its full art so thats a plus but man thats not really that long :/ i guess ill pass and hope i come across some time in the future for a better price

im starting to get into the card game because of the artwork (super tempted to buy set 3)

are they similar ?

Not really. Paper quality is awful, and the pictures are card sized. My problem with the full art, is that it's full art for only 25ish of the 115-133 pieces of art released per set.

Not really. Paper quality is awful, and the pictures are card sized. My problem with the full art, is that it's full art for only 25ish of the 115-133 pieces of art released per set.

:/ thats disappointing

i may just pass and just start building a cipher deck with that money

Draxal

The flagging popularity of Fates' child characters could lead to them reconsidering, but considering Awakening's were so successful and Owain remained one of the more popular characters across games, it's plausible that they'd keep the mechanic and just go for a different approach in terms of the characters' personality and gimmicks. In any case, they definitely won't be making any substantial changes with same-sex relationships in mind.

At that point, you might as well take issue with Oliver and Olivia.

tumblr_inline_o1l36shIxx1r6iiay_540.png

I mean you have to do alot of extra work to get those kids.

The reusage of Lloyd
Portrait_erk_fe07.png
s me though.

Seda, please don't ban me for that awful pun

erk sucks

B0hD2G0IEAEAXgp.jpg

pardon one of my hairs on the screen

Thats nothing, one time Micaiah only got 2 speed level up in 20 levels. and 1 defense. I always that was impossible. chapter 9 was impossible at that point.
She also couldnt max out HP even after using the robe on her.

alvis.exe

I do and yeah 100 bucks (for one?) is definitely not worth it unless you absolutely love the art. Plus not even all the art is full page though most of it is (things like the peg sisters cards are squeezed horizontally onto a single page). Have to echo that the guidebooks aren't that great either. The printing quality is poor, as mentioned already.

Hopefully they'll release a meatier art book down the line but in the meantime it may just be better to check out the card lists online and try to get the ones that appeal to you most.

erk sucks

B0hD2G0IEAEAXgp.jpg

pardon one of my hairs on the screen

Now see, this is why people should use Nino instead. Yeah you're going to have to baby her for a bit (although it isn't that bad once you have a game plan on how to do so) but she's so much better than Erk.

Or I guess you could just use Pent or something. Incidentally his base stats for Defence, Luck skill and Magic are better then Erk final stats shown above.

Xenoflare

I am fully convinced that whoever is localizing the names are doing it for shits and giggles

Laslow

Malig

Caledori

If this keeps up I'll be bummed if NotGaius is Suiga (swag)

GSR

Shamelessly cross-posting this question in case anyone here knows:

Quick question: how does the level scaling work for children chapters in Fates? If I unlock one at chapter 18 and come back and do it at chapter 20, for example, will the enemies/kid scale to chapter 20 levels or stay at chapter 18?

GSR

They continue to scale after unlocking.

Fantastic, thanks!

For all the flak the kid system gets, it does help balance Nohr's difficulty a lot by offering you side missions when you need them, provided you put the work in to get them. Granted, odds are very high that you won't actually get all of them (unless you load up some internet/DLC battles and start grinding supports), but knowing I can use one to buffer my army a bit and recruit a new character when I'm stuck in the story helps things along. (And it feels less dirty than using the DLC EXP map.)

Gestahl

Yeah I recruited Sophie, Ophelia, and Eponine and just slotted them in no problem. Weren't exceptionally above their parents or anything but they generally had a healthier hp pool which matters a good bit. Depends on who their mother is though obviously so you'd probably want to do a bit of eugenics planning if you intend on using the Nohr children on Hard or above. Nothing serious, just complementary pairings. I went Effie, Elize, and Pieri on the ones above respectively.

The child seal stuff can be a little weird though so I don't really know when the best time to get the kids are. Velour was eclipsed by Flannel in just about every way and I thought I had a good pairing there for sure

Gestahl

I'm not calling Nishiki Kaden.

They couldn't just wiki a list of fabric names and pull one out of a hat could they

Like I don't know

*mashes finger down list*

what about Loden????

We have to adhere to this anagram pattern that makes no sense in English for the child clones but the Laguz names? Ehh fuck it

Weebos

Banned
I remember a lot of similar complaints when Awakening's names were changed, but I honestly can't remember anybody's Japanese name.

It's weird because that's how I knew the characters for months.

I remember a lot of similar complaints when Awakening's names were changed, but I honestly can't remember anybody's Japanese name.

It's natural to stop remembering things that you don't see for a long time : P

Don't forget it's been three long years since Awakening arrived in the West, at which point mostly everybody moved over to the English names.

Weebos

Banned
Yeah, these threads are a nightmare. I think I might be done with regular gaming threads for awhile, like many have already said in this thread.

dunno, I still can't get over some of the translations for the legacy characters

Top Bottom