• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

NeonZ

I wonder how many of the complaints about Radiant Dawn's balance are by people who avoid prepromotes like the plague and so disliked how most tier 1 characters had little longterm usefulness. Like, are the people mad about this mad okay with dropping characters they've been using up to a certain point because they've dropped off?

The complaints about Radiant Dawn's balance generally are about the character balance and their availability or lack of, not the classes.

We already did, they really fucked up the special edition, all moderate-hardcore fans will want that instead of the gimp version.

That's not where the majority of the sales are coming from though.

Nintendo does get higher margins from digital sales though, and the special edition actually gives them an even lower margin than a regular retail copy+2 separate route purchases... :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng It's incredible.
CZ2s7NsUcAIYdSb.png:large

Draxal

Here are the super ass expensive cipher cards atm (only gotten from playing at the Cipher Fes).

P03-016PR%20Azura.png
P03-015PR%20Azura.png

Female corrin has the most cards at 10, Azura at 9, male corrin at 8, marth at 7, all the female royals have 6,.

The complaints about Radiant Dawn's balance generally are about the character balance and their availability or lack of, not the classes.
My point was that people who enjoy using shitty low bases/high growths units (or even low bases/low growths like Amelia or something) people are going to be put off by the balancing because the game is much more punishing so using bad units means dealing with more consequences for using them.

In Sacred Stones if I want to put the effort into making Amelia good, I can make it work because the game isn't that hard and so I won't be punished for using someone that bad. In Radiant Dawn though, using Meg means I'm making a choice to make a hard game harder and so it's going to stick out more that Meg sucks. Whereas Sacred Stones just gets way easier when you use Seth, Radiant Dawn is still going to be more challenging even if you're using Haar and Jill. There's a unit that's Meg/Fiona is most of the games, they're just not going to be as obvious if you don't use your Jeigan because they steal experience or whatever.

Compare the number of Gilliam fans to the number of Bors fans. Both are about as awful but a lot of people like Gilliam whereas Bors is mostly chin jokes.

NeonZ

My point was that people who enjoy using shitty low bases/high growths units (or even low bases/low growths like Amelia or something) people are going to be put off by the balancing because the game is much more punishing so using bad units means dealing with more consequences for using them.

The game isn't just more punishing. Many low base units have really bad availability, which makes using them even harder not just due to their stats themselves. And then you suddenly get to Ike's chapters in Part 3 which are fairly easy compared to what came before, which is just weird.

Now middle game being easier isn't really that rare in FE, but it's generally due to the player being able to focus on some great units, without wasting experience with others, while the game leaves some room for error. Meanwhile, in Radiant Dawn, you get pre-built teams with starting stats that lead to that lack of balance without any specific effort from the player.

And then for end-game you get the Laguz royals, which have priority over pretty much any standard units.

Also, I don't agree with comparing Meg and Fiona with a character like Amelia in the first place. Yes, if you compare their growths directly they're kind of similar, but Radiant Dawn has higher caps and they don't get easier initial level ups due to the trainee class, which just amplifies their problems, and then there's their lack of availability. When you add the relative difference between them and the enemies of their own games, it just increases their problems, but it's hardly their only one.

Edit: I don't remember Gilliam being a fan favorite, although its been a while since I looked at Sacred Stones specific forums.

Weebos

Banned
Maybe this is old news, since I am staying out of that thread.

I am listening to IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat and they said that despite face touching being gone in Fates you still can invite people to your room to get the support bonus.

Jose said they asked at a demo event and Nintendo told them this.

Maybe this is old news, since I am staying out of that thread.

I am listening to IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat and they said that despite face touching being gone in Fates you still can invite people to your room to get the support bonus.

Jose said they asked at a demo event and Nintendo told them this.

looking forward to people finding a way to discredit Jose Otero too /s

jwj442

So I recently started replaying Path of Radiance on maniac mode on my Japanese copy (unfortunately this mode was removed from the US release). Following the story with an English transcript.

It's fun. I had gotten to chapter 20 or so before, but lost my old save. Titania (and Shinon and Gatrie to a lesser degree) really carries your early game and none of your low-level units are very good at first, though you get plenty of opportunities to feed kills to Ike and the others. Like Titania, Shinon, and Gatrie have both iron and steel weapons for a reason - to easily give you the option of either killing enemies or weakening them so someone else can get the kill. I'm at chapter 8 and Ike and Boyd have become solid units and are pulling their weight now. My Soren is useful but not amazing, my Rhys will probably be great once he promotes, Oscar has turned out mediocre and might get dropped. The enemies have gotten tough enough that Titania can get overwhelmed if I use her carelessly. Enemy armor knights are total tanks, as they should be.

One annoying thing is that it's a little too easy for some of your low-level characters to get stat screwed in maniac if their first few level ups are unlucky. Like if Ike's offense grows especially poorly, chapter 6 and the next few are just going to be stupid (I usually don't reset on bad level ups, but did a few times in the early chapters). But I guess that's partly because the story just doesn't give you that many units early on to replace RNG-screwed people, and there's always fixed-growth mode if you choose.

Maniac has the obvious changes like more enemies (a lot more!) with better stats. Also much less bonus XP. Later on, enemy stats stay competent and unpromoted enemies get phased out quickly. Good enemy weapons are more common, and lots of long-range sages after you leave Begnion. Another interesting thing with maniac mode is that the game is a lot more aggressive with having enemy thieves show up early on indoor maps. Really forces you to approach things differently if you want all the treasure.

Lunar15

it's so you can dress up as your favorite fe character and take photos of it during the cipher fes

Oh, cool. Didn't realize there was a cipher fes. I'm assuming this is all in japanese on the cipher website.

But they have to have a headband, right? Can't do Ike without a headband, at least.

Props for what? We've never seen these capes used before. Looks to me like a store?

Besides what dakkumauji said, they're usually at Intelligent System's offices I believe.

I can just imagine some of the senior staff randomly sword-fighting with the Falchions when nobody's looking...

Oh, cool. Didn't realize there was a cipher fes. I'm assuming this is all in japanese on the cipher website.

But they have to have a headband, right? Can't do Ike without a headband, at least.

there is a twitter acccount that translates all the cipher news

Besides what dakkumauji said, they're usually at Intelligent System's offices I believe.

I can just imagine some of the senior staff randomly sword-fighting with the Falchions when nobody's looking...

why bother making a new advance wars when you can fight with Falchions X)

Draxal

It's from the cipher twitter account, which does have somebody translating it in another account.

Lunar15

I may or may not have made an Ike "themed" costume to wear to UF football games during our national championship season.

It may or may not have lead us to our longest winning streak in school history.

Draxal

Btw, Chrom.

We probably need to update the op with you know Fates coming out in a month in the states/Hat//and down below.

I'd just point out to http://worldofcipher.com/ as Aubergine does a good job of curating it (he does the translating of the tweets), for the cipher mention and a couple of pics of anybody but Chrom.

Weebos

Banned
Finally got around to starting up Radiant Dawn after picking it up at Gamestop a few weeks back.

The last time I played it was years ago on Dolphin, and I didn't get very far then. It is nice to have a decent controller for it.

I looked over the old save I had (from my Wii back when it released) and I never made it very far. I am in Chapter 6, but apparently I lost Meg at some point. I'm tempted to hop over to it once I catch up, for the import bonuses, but the FE completionist in me won't let me leave Meg behind.

Gestahl

So I recently started replaying Path of Radiance on maniac mode on my Japanese copy (unfortunately this mode was removed from the US release). Following the story with an English transcript.

It's fun. I had gotten to chapter 20 or so before, but lost my old save. Titania (and Shinon and Gatrie to a lesser degree) really carries your early game and none of your low-level units are very good at first, though you get plenty of opportunities to feed kills to Ike and the others. Like Titania, Shinon, and Gatrie have both iron and steel weapons for a reason - to easily give you the option of either killing enemies or weakening them so someone else can get the kill. I'm at chapter 8 and Ike and Boyd have become solid units and are pulling their weight now. My Soren is useful but not amazing, my Rhys will probably be great once he promotes, Oscar has turned out mediocre and might get dropped. The enemies have gotten tough enough that Titania can get overwhelmed if I use her carelessly. Enemy armor knights are total tanks, as they should be.

One annoying thing is that it's a little too easy for some of your low-level characters to get stat screwed in maniac if their first few level ups are unlucky. Like if Ike's offense grows especially poorly, chapter 6 and the next few are just going to be stupid (I usually don't reset on bad level ups, but did a few times in the early chapters). But I guess that's partly because the story just doesn't give you that many units early on to replace RNG-screwed people, and there's always fixed-growth mode if you choose.

Maniac has the obvious changes like more enemies (a lot more!) with better stats. Also much less bonus XP. Later on, enemy stats stay competent and unpromoted enemies get phased out quickly. Good enemy weapons are more common, and lots of long-range sages after you leave Begnion. Another interesting thing with maniac mode is that the game is a lot more aggressive with having enemy thieves show up early on indoor maps. Really forces you to approach things differently if you want all the treasure.

The squad of siege assholes every other map after the halfway point really kills a lot of my enthusiasm for replaying Maniac mode. Shit just winds up playing out too similarly everytime they show up, gets tedious

Top Bottom