• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

but we do!

they usually can only marry the mc though
there's a few but children make it disproportionately favor tier 1's. Maybe there are Fates characters that I forgot about, but Awakening gave us Frederick, Libra, Anna, Say'ri, Basilio, and Flavia. Only two of those are actual late joiners, compare to Blazing Sword giving us Marcus, Isadora, Hawkeye, Pent, Louise, Jaffar, Harken/Karel, Renault, Athos, Vaida, and Geitz.

Seriously though the existence of the kids has pushed the recruitment time of everyone else forward, leaving almost no new units beyond the midway point or so (because presumably the kids are supposed to be the new units you pick up around that point).

Lunar15

I can already imagine that the game was all written but they didn't tell Kibayashi
about children
and had to write in some half-baked explanation.

My understanding is that the kids aren't necessarily the issue with the story. Just another silly element.

Personally, I'm fine with completely detaching the kids from the story even more to just be a bonus "side feature" available in all games. Given that it's clearly part of the series' popularity now, better to make it just some kind of magic bonus macguffin that lets you see the kind of unit a paring would make. That way the team can just keep having it without having to awkwardly shoehorn it into the game.

No one bats an eye that the "outrealm gate" is now just a thing in the series. Do the same thing with the kids.

Seriously though the existence of the kids has pushed the recruitment time of everyone else forward, leaving almost no new units beyond the midway point or so (because presumably the kids are supposed to be the new units you pick up around that point).

Ew, they do this again? All the more reason to make this just a weird bonus feature.

Renewed

My understanding is that the kids aren't necessarily the issue with the story. Just another silly element.

Personally, I'm fine with completely detaching the kids from the story even more to just be a bonus "side feature" available in all games. Given that it's clearly part of the series' popularity now, better to make it just some kind of magic bonus macguffin that lets you see the kind of unit a paring would make. That way the team can just keep having it without having to awkwardly shoehorn it into the game.

No one bats an eye that the "outrealm gate" is now just a thing in the series. Do the same thing with the kids.

Ew, they do this again? All the more reason to make this just a weird bonus feature.

It's more that it hurts to see it'll all be explained away with "lol outrealms"

I guess they really wanted to ride the popularity from the last game? I'll surely look at it and laugh when I'm playing and pay it no mind.

I guess I should ask now before I might be let down or not: Are the units themselves worthwhile? Or do gameplay changes make those units a waste of time when I could focus on my primary units I get earlier?

Lunar15

Look, all I'm saying is: the only way we're getting a Tellius remaster is if they stick some kids in there, so just make it an outrealms thing and add some face petting because I really want a Tellius remaster.

Renewed

Look, all I'm saying is: the only way we're getting a Tellius remaster is if they stick some kids in there, so just make it an outrealms thing and add some face petting because I really want a Tellius remaster.

I'd like that so I could get both games locally for an affordable price. Hell I went to a few stores yesterday looking for Shadow Dragon DS but found nothing. I'm mad at myself for passing by it years ago.

NeonZ

I can already imagine that the game was all written but they didn't tell Kibayashi
about children

I just get the impression that he wrote the story drafts knowing little about the gameplay features in general, aside from some a couple of general points about the series, which also would explain why even the Castle has to be in some other dimension rather than the actual game world, since the story generally doesn't leave space for the party to return to some main base between most of the chapters.

there's a few but children make it disproportionately favor tier 1's. Maybe there are Fates characters that I forgot about, but Awakening gave us Frederick, Libra, Anna, Say'ri, Basilio, and Flavia. Only two of those are actual late joiners, compare to Blazing Sword giving us Marcus, Isadora, Hawkeye, Pent, Louise, Jaffar, Harken/Karel, Renault, Athos, Vaida, and Geitz.

The 6 bonus map characters in Awakening also were pre-promoted.

I guess I should ask now before I might be let down or not: Are the units themselves worthwhile? Or do gameplay changes make those units a waste of time when I could focus on my primary units I get earlier?

After you get them out of their recruitment chapter, thanks to a new seal, they'll basically already be on par with your party, so training them is much easier. However, they inherit less from their parents than they did in Awakening (they have one base class and then inherit the base class from each parent, rather than their entire class sets - although if the base classes match they get their secondary class. There's still the bonus for caps though). They can still be good units, but generally won't surpass the avatar or the male royals with their unique weapons.

Draxal

Good chance that they'll drop the kids for that the next one imho.

Draxal

None of the kids were very high in the popularity polls relative to Awakening, right?

Highest was Eponine/Nina at 10. Compared to Awakening where Lucina was 1. Lucina's counterpart in this game, Shigure (the main love interest's child) is all the way at 26. For the males, Owain was 2 and Foleo is at 11. The 4 returnee (including amiibo Lucina) kids all ranked higher in Awakening than Nina did in Fates.

None of the kids were very high in the popularity polls relative to Awakening, right?

only one child was able to crack the top 10 of either gender

the girl kids were generally more liked than the guys

they aren't completely hated though, they just didn't top the charts like in Awakening

This is where I point out that single-vote popularity polls given that many options is totally bullshit, cause how low do you wanna bet the cutoff for top 5/top 10 is relative to the number of voters.

NeonZ

Highest was Eponine/Nina at 10. Compared to Awakening where Lucina was 1. Lucina's counterpart in this game, Shigure is all the way at 26. Owain was 2 and Foleo is at 11.

Shigure is only her counterpart in the sense of being the only special child aside from the avatar's, but he doesn't have any presence in the main story, unlike Lucina.

This is where I point out that single-vote popularity polls given that many options is totally bullshit, cause how low do you wanna bet the cutoff for top 5/top 10 is relative to the number of voters.

was awakening's poll multi-choice?

then again, there's a whole lot less choices in awakening

Renewed

I just get the impression that he wrote the story drafts knowing little about the gameplay features in general, aside from some a couple of general points about the series, which also would explain why even the Castle has to be in some other dimension rather than the actual game world, since the story generally doesn't leave space for the party to return to some main base between most of the chapters.

After you get them out of their recruitment chapter, thanks to a new seal, they'll basically already be on par with your party, so training them is much easier. However, they inherit less from their parents than they did in Awakening (they have one base class and then inherit the base class from each parent, rather than their entire class sets - although if the base classes match they get their secondary class. There's still the bonus for caps though). They can still be good units, but generally won't surpass the avatar or the male royals with their unique weapons.

Oh yeah the castle is in some astral plane too. I'm sure it'll all be nonsensical but I'll wait until I've played and finished the game before I criticize anything else.

Oh cool I guess I don't have to worry about getting them ASAP (or maybe not, depending on if the map's enemies scale or not). Do skills still pass on? Is secondary class like I'm imagining it where you can use a Second Seal to switch to that other class? (trying to avoid wiki for fear of spoilers)

NeonZ

Oh cool I guess I don't have to worry about getting them ASAP (or maybe not, depending on if the map's enemies scale or not). Do skills still pass on? Is secondary class like I'm imagining it where you can use a Second Seal to switch to that other class? (trying to avoid wiki for fear of spoilers)

The enemies scale, yes, and it gets kind of troublesome in some maps where they're initially npcs far away from your party...

Yes, there's still skill inheritance. The class change system is different here.
The unit's level doesn't reset when using the second seal equivalent (I haven't seen its localized name), but you gain all skills from previous levels at a rate of one per level up. There's also another new seal to increase max level.

Renewed

The enemies scale, yes, and it gets kind of troublesome in some maps where they're initially npcs far away from your party...

Yes, there's still skill inheritance. The class change system is different here.
The unit's level doesn't reset when using the second seal equivalent (I haven't seen its localized name), but you gain all skills from previous levels at a rate of one per level up. There's also another new seal to increase max level.

Ah I see. Thanks! This sounds like something I might enjoy messing around with.

Also that Gamespot stream is going worse than I thought. Down to Takumi and Silas last I checked during Kana's paralogue. Praise Casual mode, they made it out. Those 1HP strats.

Kinsei

Banned
Ah I see. Thanks! This sounds like something I might enjoy messing around with.

Also that Gamespot stream is going worse than I thought. Down to Takumi and Silas last I checked during Kana's paralogue. Praise Casual mode, they made it out. Those 1HP strats.

I think I picked the right time to click on this stream. I'm now imagining Silas and Corrin cuddling while Takumi sits in the middle stone faced while wearing pink fluffy bunny slippers.

I think I was way too harsh on the relationship stuff up until now.

CazTGG

about children

Given that, according to Kibayashi, he wrote a 500-page script and played Fire Emblem: Awakening, I find it hard to believe that he wasn't aware of
the children mechanic
when writing for the game. It's possible that this was one the changes from his original draft since Kibayashi mentioned on Twitter that the initial script and final draft were different, though i've heard that in the pages of "The Making of Fire Emblem", the staff largely left the script as is.

Midoriko - ko = Midori!
Abel = Avel (rip reference)

Weapons Master = Master of Arms (wtf)
Holy Lancer = Spear Master
White Blood = Hoshido Noble
Dark Blood = Nohr Noble
Holy Bowman = Sniper
Shura = Oni Cheiftain
Basara = Basara
Nine Tail Fox = Nine-Tail
Exorcist = Onmyoji

i think female swimsuits got 'curtain'd'

it's so enjoyable seeing what got more japanese and what didn't, lol consistency

Abel = Avel (rip reference)

not so fast my friend

from reddit:

I had this discussion on Twitter with a professional translator a few days back.
The names in Japanese were always intended to be sort of like jokes. Slight misspellings, but still obvious references.
For example, Minerva the wyvern was called ミネルヴァ, while the Archanean character was called ミネルバ.
In this horse's case, it's アヴェル, instead of the cavalier アベル.
A running gag that can't be fully realised in translation. It seems 8-4 and Treehouse opted for different approaches to it.

Renewed

Given that, according to Kibayashi, he wrote a 500-page script and played Fire Emblem: Awakening, I find it hard to believe that he wasn't aware of
the children mechanic
when writing for the game. It's possible that this was one the changes from his original draft since Kibayashi mentioned on Twitter that the initial script and final draft were different, though i've heard that in the pages of "The Making of Fire Emblem", the staff largely left the script as is.

I imagine that would be how it goes with initial and final drafts but I don't know how much changed. Looking back at the Iwata Asks (RIP), he did play a bit too. (thanks daughter, you pushed your father into this). Damn I'd like to read that book now. I imagine the staff would leave the script alone for the most part and make things mesh in terms of gameplay? I would just hope that it wouldn't leave something like that there (I guess I just wanted to be able to take a plot seriously for once all the way through, besides the whole royalty thing and killing evil menace).

Renewed

I feel like she's stretching Deere's name but I heard Dwyer... What. (she said she was married to Jakob before, probably on a different save and on this save she let chat choose who to marry. They went with Silas obviously).

NeonZ

the children mechanic

He could be aware that it was in Awakening, but not know that it was intended to reappear in Fates, at least not when he wrote the story.

Regarding story changes, the whole child system wouldn't really be one though, since the children are never really mentioned in the actual story chapters. Remember, he didn't actually write the "script", but rather very detailed story outlines for the three routes. There was someone else credited for the script of the third route for example. We also know that he didn't write the supports.

Edit:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/1...worked-on-fire-emblem-fates-third-story-path/

Xenoflare

Mhmm... Is it me or the cutscene models and the my room models are a bit different for the same characters? The myroom models have like, more pronounced eye lashes for Azura for example.

PK Gaming

I think I picked the right time to click on this stream. I'm now imagining Silas and Corrin cuddling while Takumi sits in the middle stone faced while wearing pink fluffy bunny slippers.

I think I was way too harsh on the relationship stuff up until now.

I'm glad you decided to give Fates another chance

It's shaping up to be one hell of a game

CazTGG

He could be aware that it was in Awakening, but not know that it was intended to reappear in Fates, at least not when he wrote the story.

Remember, he didn't actually write the "script", but rather very detailed story outlines for the three routes. There was someone else credited for the script of the third route for example. We also know that he didn't write the supports.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/1...worked-on-fire-emblem-fates-third-story-path/

I'm aware of Kitajami's involvement in the third path's narrative, however my point is that it's not clear how much of the game's story can be attributed to Kibayashi's initial draft, what Kitijami penned for the third scenario or the staff at Intelligent Systems.

CSX

Just found out Benoit is now Benny

Feels like that name fits a bit better with his personality for some reason

I feel like she's stretching Deere's name but I heard Dwyer... What. (she said she was married to Jakob before, probably on a different save and on this save she let chat choose who to marry. They went with Silas obviously).

so noa thinks people can't pronounce tsubaki but they can totally pronounce dwyer

Xenoflare

can't be character limitations, Nohr Princess, Shrine Maiden, Hoshido Noble, Master of Arms, among others have the same or more characters

1332730749479s.jpg

Renewed

I need to mention the Hoshido/Nohr Noble thing. That kind of bothers me because isn't this like the grand promoted class for Corrin? Couldn't have had something with a bit more punch? Or is there something reserved for that?

Top Bottom