• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

A friend gave me a copy of Sacred Stones not too long ago after I beat Awakening. Either it or my GBA is a bit buggy, because it glitches and crashes a bit, but for the most part, I've been enjoying it. It's quite a difference from Awakening.

Sacred stones had a Glitch that would break the game involving Wyvern Knights activiting their special skill with a range weapon.

L95

Sacred stones had a Glitch that would break the game involving Wyvern Knights activiting their special skill with a range weapon.

Hmm, even then, it doesn't occur often (the chances to trigger the glitch are fairly lategame unless you promote early). Pariah, you got pics of the cart?

pariah164

Hmm, even then, it doesn't occur often (the chances to trigger the glitch are fairly lategame unless you promote early). Pariah, you got pics of the cart?
Not on me, no. And currently my GBA and the cart are buried as I rearrange my house and such; trying to get some heavy duty cleaning done before FE Fates lands.

Got 4 days to go, might as well do this now: personal ranking of the royals in Fates?

right now it's something like:

Leo
Elise/Takumi
Sakura
------------------ (imagine a gap here)
Camilla
Xander
Ryoma
Hinoka

actually a bit of movement from the last time I did this

Shun

Personal rank or gameplay rank?

Hinoka > Leon > Marx > Elise > Camilla > Ryouma >>> Sakura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Takumi

The biggest draw to Takumi's popularity largely stems from doujin and fan art where he is the beta to Leon or whoever character pairing. Other than that his personality is a piece of shit.

His kid Kisaragi has that annoying you want to punch face too. But Kisaragi personality isn't nearly as shit at Takumi.

Lunar15

This probably already happened in this thread, but of those who've played the game so far, how does it rank for you compared to the rest of the series? Particularly Conquest.

Shun

Hinoka > Leon > Marx > Elise > Camilla > Ryouma >>> Sakura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Takumi

The biggest draw to Takumi's popularity largely stems from doujin and fan art where he is the beta to Leon or whoever character pairing. Other than that his personality is a piece of shit.

His kid Kisaragi has that annoying you want to punch face too. But Kisaragi personality isn't nearly as shit at Takumi.

This probably already happened in this thread, but of those who've played the game so far, how does it rank for you compared to the rest of the series? Particularly Conquest.

Gameplay I would rank it after my holy trinity.

5>12>4>14C

GSR

I haven't played 1-5 or 12, but Conquest is way up there gameplay-wise compared to the rest. It's a great rebalance of Awakening's mechanics coupled with strong map design.

Story-wise though, lol

Draxal

5>12>4>14C

CbF_SX8UAAE2Eov.jpg

Did you watch the time shift of the Cipher Nico Nico stream.

They made Ike's and Midoriko's VA ham it up, and they played remixes of 4's prologue and Chapter 2 theme.

Chapter 2 theme is still my favorite fire emblem song.

Rutger

Banned

5>12>4>14C

I haven't played yet > I haven't played yet > my least favorite FE game aside from Shadow Dragon...

That doesn't help me get an idea of Conquest's quality at all! D:

I really do need to get around to 5 and 12, I have a feeling I'd like them a lot.

GSR

Just gameplay.

Although... just how bad are we talking about with the story? I know people say it's laughable... but worse than Awakening?

The thing about Fates Conquest is that it's kind of predicated on a flawed premise - that Corrin goes and sides with the total jerkbag invading Nohrians. They say it's to stop the war from the inside, but circumstances stop them from actually getting much done, so they just kind of flit around angsting while the campaign repeats the same few beats over and over. And then about halfway through it drops one of the dumbest twist + plot devices I've ever seen to justify the back half of the campaign.

It very much feels like it was written as "okay and then in chapter X we need thing Y to happen" and worked backwards from there.

Shun

CbF_SX8UAAE2Eov.jpg

Did you watch the time shift of the Cipher Nico Nico stream.

They made Ike's and Midoriko's VA ham it up, and they played remixes of 4's prologue and Chapter 2 theme.

Chapter 2 theme is still my favorite fire emblem song.

I saw 10 minutes then fall asleep.
I haven't played yet > I haven't played yet > my least favorite FE game aside from Shadow Dragon...

That doesn't help me get an idea of Conquest's quality at all! D:

I really do need to get around to 5 and 12, I have a feeling I'd like them a lot.
It's subjective but the game is relatively good. There is variety and Lunatic Conquest is actually really fun, hard but fun. Breaking the game is easy tho but not as easy as Awakening. 4 is a lot of nostalgia and I enjoyed it, but you could replace 4 with one of the Tellius games.
Just gameplay.

Although... just how bad are we talking about with the story? I know people say it's laughable... but worse than Awakening?

The story is better than Awakening because it is so bad it is hilarious being laughable makes it better than Awakening. I enjoyed it more than Awakening story. A lot of Conquest was like a Tatsunoko anime from the 70s and 80s in terms of how it is done. I would compare it to Pokemon anime and Rocket-dan antics, but this game tries to take itself seriously whereas rocket dan is a joke.

If you go in not expecting much you will enjoy it more.

Rutger

Banned
It's subjective but the game is relatively good. There is variety and Lunatic Conquest is actually really fun, hard but fun. Breaking the game is easy tho but not as easy as Awakening. 4 is a lot of nostalgia and I enjoyed it, but you could replace 4 with one of the Tellius games.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking 4, hell, I really should wait before judging it since I haven't finished it. Still, I've been struggling to stay interested in it for years, the gameplay just isn't that strong imo. I can understand why many like it though.

I'm expecting good things with Conquest, I've heard a lot of people call it good and I like what I've seen about the gameplay changes so far.

So I'm not actually worried about the quality of Conquest, I guess I just find it funny that I have a very different opinion on one popular game and haven't been able to play two other popular games yet. I really do need to get around to playing several of the unlocalized games.

Gestahl

I'll rank the characters I thought were most disappointing (first gen) on each route on Hard and above. This means more or less that they didn't seem nearly worth the effort:

Nohr:
Arthur (infinitely terrible luck and speed issues)
Nyx (can't hit shit with that skill and can't get up close due to poor defenses)
Benny (joins late with 6 spd, good luck getting pavise before he's paste)
Charlotte (joins the same time as Benny but 5 levels lower, you do the math)

Hoshido:

Rinkah (mediocre bases, mediocre strength growth, one of the lowest hp growths in the game, nonexistent res and a skill that requires to not be at full health)
Orochi (terribad spd which is death for a mage)
Hayato (comes in at level 1, get out of here kid)
Subaki (The most bizarre growths on a pegasus rider I've ever seen, don't count on getting speed any time soon)

CSX

I'll rank the characters I thought were most disappointing (first gen) on each route on Hard and above. This means more or less that they didn't seem nearly worth the effort:

Nohr:
Arthur (infinitely terrible luck and speed issues)
Nyx (can't hit shit with that skill and can't get up close due to poor defenses)
Benny (joins late with 6 spd, good luck getting pavise before he's paste)
Charlotte (joins the same time as Benny but 5 levels lower, you do the math)

Hoshido:

Rinkah (mediocre bases, mediocre strength growth, one of the lowest hp growths in the game, nonexistent res and a skill that requires to not be at full health)
Orochi (terribad spd which is death for a mage)
Hayato (comes in at level 1, get out of here kid)
Subaki (The most bizarre growths on a pegasus rider I've ever seen, don't count on getting speed any time soon)

My god i had to google Hayato to figure out who you're talking about lol
Big change from tsukuyomi lol

CSX

Subaki is fine, it's a good thing everyone gives speed in Birthright and enemies kind of lack it (and he's also surprisingly bulky).

I find him as a unit i have to baby around way too much which for an early game flyer unit is not good.

Can't double. Doesnt get enough strength to compensate it. Super low MAG so he cant even be a decent flying healer. The only reason why i used him is to get his superior daughter :p

Gestahl

In relation to other characters, a 35% speed growth is dire and can cripple his long term usability. But he does make up for it with his flyer-based utility for the first half of the campaign, that's true. Especially since Hinoka wants to be lancering it up.

Xenoflare

5>12>4>14C

To be fair, Takumi's reaction towards Corrin at first is completely warranted and even more so if you chose Conquest

Edit: I love how every single Nohrian sibling look out for you,
Elise rushes to Corrin right after his been dispatched alone

Xander arranging his retainers to help out

Chapter 10 is a bit Meta when you think about Camilla's value and her care towards Corrin

Leo saves your ass every time Corn is about to screw up in front of Garon

and for Hoshido it's mostly joys of reunion (sans Takumi)

GSR

Setsuna is okay but Tsubaki is not. Charlotte is superior to Harold. She is pretty decent unit in my opinion. Tho I like Beruka as a Berserker.

That's the real truth right there. I reclassed her just to pick up some skills but I don't think I'm ever going back from a 65% crit rate with a Killer Axe.

Maybe it depends on fast you go (as in he's better when you go faster), but Subaki is fine for long enough (as in prior to the endgame stretch), give him a +speed pairup, and you can apparently even run Bolt Naginata for offense.

You can even have him use the Rescue staff if you really want to!

Gestahl

That's the real truth right there. I reclassed her just to pick up some skills but I don't think I'm ever going back from a 65% crit rate with a Killer Axe.

Honestly, Beruka is probably one of the best non-royals in terms of pure combat if you can get her there. That crit damage, that skill and Sol acting in tandem, she can be unkillable in the right situation. Good availability too, on both routes she's on. But she can eat random crits as a zerker, which is something to consider.

CSX

Setsuna is okay but Tsubaki is not. Charlotte is superior to Harold. She is pretty decent unit in my opinion. Tho I like Beruka as a Berserker.

Charlotte fits the berserker archetype perfectly.

Super high HP with high str and speed.

Lower-middle skill...

and SUPER LOW DEF and RES

you can level her 20/20 and she still has 2 resistance lol... All these endgame mages doing 30-35 dmg on her

Xenoflare

Charlotte fits the berserker archetype perfectly.

Super high HP with high str and speed.

Lower-middle skill...

and SUPER LOW DEF and RES

you can level her 20/20 and she still has 2 resistance lol... All these endgame mages doing 30-35 dmg on her

2 RESISTENCE?

Damn

CSX

she actually does average just 2.45 resistance at 20/20 as a Berserker

then again she's better as Xander's personal pairup bot so whatever

where are you getting these stat averages btw?

And are these averages based on staying in the same class? I think growths change based on the class.

where are you getting these stat averages btw?

And are these averages based on staying in the same class? I think growths change based on the class.

character averages

too bad link bonus classes aren't included

In relation to other characters, a 35% speed growth is dire and can cripple his long term usability. But he does make up for it with his flyer-based utility for the first half of the campaign, that's true. Especially since Hinoka wants to be lancering it up.

ok, what

we're clearly coming at this from different perspectives, Hinoka is easily top 5 in Birthright staying in Sky Knight

Gestahl

Nah, better growths, better skills, loses beast and bow weakness, Lancer's the way to go. Movement hardly matters on Hoshido since there are barely any side objectives or obstacles to deal with.

Just because there aren't side objectives doesn't make move pointless, it mattered just as much in Awakening after all and it still matters here.

Gestahl

Just because there aren't side objectives doesn't make move pointless, it mattered just as much in Awakening after all and it still matters here.

Then pair her up with someone who has move? *shrugs* It really doesn't matter much and you can always reclass her back that one time you might need a flyer maybe, if you squint really hard

Sorry to disrupt, but I just missed a attack with 95% (FE7), I didn't think it was possible even if wasn't 100%

Few turn later
Then I missed at 98%...

Not gonna lie, Anything higher then 95 I considered a guarantee hit because they never miss. Of course this only applies to the Western games.

The Snes games...yeah they felt like Pokemon attacks, Tackle often missed more then it should've you know

Then pair her up with someone who has move? *shrugs* It really doesn't matter much and you can always reclass her back that one time you might need a flyer maybe, if you squint really hard
Flying has way more applications then you're giving it credit for, if you want to slowplay everything fine but Hinoka's combat is perfectly fine without reclassing.

Gestahl

Sorry to disrupt, but I just missed a attack with 95% (FE7), I didn't think it was possible even if wasn't 100%

Few turn later
Then I missed at 98%...

Not gonna lie, Anything higher then 95 I considered a guarantee hit because they never miss. Of course this only applies to the Western games.

The Snes games...yeah they felt like Pokemon attacks, Tackle often missed more then it should've you know

I've seen more 99% staff misses in Thracia than I'd care to count

Top Bottom