• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Draxal

They referred to past titles in Awakening (Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn).

Ophelia avatar had me so confused for a second.

Out of curiosity Shun, without giving any sort of spoilers, could you us give Japan's views on several other characters? For example, who's amongst the least popular characters? Which characters have overall better impressions here than in Japan? And (my own personal question) how do Rinkah and Azura stack up in popularity?

yami4ct

Amazon sent my SE via USPS. Oh Joy. The chances of me actually getting release date delivery as promised feel like they are slipping away. USPS is almost never on time IME.

Shun

They referred to past titles in Awakening (Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn).

Ophelia avatar had me so confused for a second.

New game OT, new avatar. RIP iM@S Makoto, RIP #FE Kiria.

Out of curiosity Shun, without giving any sort of spoilers, could you us give Japan's views on several other characters? For example, who's amongst the least popular characters? Which characters have overall better impressions here than in Japan? And (my own personal question) how do Rinkah and Azura stack up in popularity?

If you didn't see the character poll, there is a list that they survey in October.

I can't speak for the entire fandom for the rest of the unit members outside of the most popular characters, but the most popular characters are mostly consensus from the fandom and their wild fantasies. Support conversations play a pretty big role as well as overall design and quirks in how popular a character is.

I laid out why the top 3 male characters are what they are, the top female characters are pretty much similar with the exception of Oboro having pretty decent character development despite her ugly face trope.

Aqua is liked cause her seiyuu can sing. Other than that she's a pretty serious character for the most part. Rinkah is rough around the edges and she isn;t a particularly good unit. Her supports just show off her sort of "rude" and rough personality. She is a pretty good cook in her support with Tsukuyomi but she doesn't really stand out.

After the top 5 to top 8 it gets difficult because you don't really have a character that is well regarded throughout a majority of fans anymore it is all just personal preference. It is a lot more difficult in a game with a gigantic cast.

In terms of unpopular, Orochi is the least popular female character. She isn't really a good unit because her speed growths are trash and her supports are pretty boring too.

If I can find some stuff in my bookmarks for Seisen and Thracia I will post some time later down the line. There was some unofficial stuff done a while back by people who were with pegasusknight and other blogs but I can't find it right now. Official poll is a fairly recent thing from 2012 since it was put more emphasis. If you wanted to find more popular characters for previous titles, you would have to look through the art archives and through past blogs. The BL and fujoshi fanbase is pretty vocal as doujin and BL has been with this series since the SFC days.

Draxal

I liked Oboro's voice, which is weird because I hated Felicia's voice (done by the same person).

I love Oboro's english voice too, easily the best one I've heard so far.

I remember seeing a recent poll where Finn ranked top 10 of all fav time Fire Emblem chars.

Kinsei

Banned

Renewed

The localization actually makes her seem like a bisexual with a preference for women, that's good. It'd be even better if you could y'know actually put her into a relationship with another woman.

Depends on the other supports. They could make it seem like she just picked it up from her dad and play it off as her liking cute things to a fault.

Shun

ysv5x5D.jpg

Would this picture of Aqua suffice. Would just need to color the hair blue and clothes white. what is xandra.
The localization actually makes her seem like a bisexual with a preference for women, that's good. It'd be even better if you could y'know actually put her into a relationship with another woman.

Ophelia and Soleil is a fairly popular character pairing.

Me too I like this localization and Soleil, and yeah having her bisexual would be better

Gestahl

Depends on the other supports. They could make it seem like she just picked it up from her dad and play it off as her liking cute things to a fault.

She
hits on her mother
almost instantly in their support tree. Being bisexual might just make things even worse

Gestahl

Azura's popular and useful obviously as a dancer, but her popularity might be due to her immense presence in the story.

Rinkah, ehhhh she's not that great as a unit (low hp and str, e in axes, Hoshido clubs deal less damage in general, better off as a support bot in the chapters she's required) and almost all of her supports I've seen has her going on about "muh clan" and "muh aloofness/solitude." If I remember right, she was pretty middling in the polls

Golnei

Speaking of Jojo, I can't not bring this up again.

Actually letting non-avatar characters have same-sex relationships is the next major hurdle for the series in that regard, even if the child system as it is now would mandate that no first-generation character would be able to have solely same-sex romantic supports. The subtext between pairings like Lissa and Maribelle and Tiki and Say'ri was bad enough in Awakening, having something similar in a game which does have an (incredibly limited) implementation of same-sex relationships seems a lot more frustrating.

jnWake

Continuing my stupidly late Awakening run, I just beat
Gangrel. Surprisingly easy to be honest
and Chrom married
Sumia. I guess the game chooses whoever has the highest Support with him? I was aiming for that couple anyway haha
. I kinda wish I didn't know who Lucina was, seems it'd be cool to find out by yourself. Damn Smash and spoilers!

Shun

I'm sorry I do not conform to your expectations (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。) orz

Continuing my stupidly late Awakening run, I just beat
Gangrel. Surprisingly easy to be honest
and Chrom married
Sumia. I guess the game chooses whoever has the highest Support with him? I was aiming for that couple anyway haha
. I kinda wish I didn't know who Lucina was, seems it'd be cool to find out by yourself. Damn Smash and spoilers!
Well that pairing is in your face till after ch 13 where she becomes irrelevant.

Golnei

... So why is genderbent Ike so popular

I think that might just be a result of being a common subject for that one artist. Along with it being part of their regular output, they're also behind that 'Unripe' doujin and all of the resulting pregnancy fetish art.

CazTGG

The Soleil support at least fixed the lack of consent in the original...but it kind of made the allusions to conversion therapy more overt and arguably the entire conversation all the worse, not that a magical drug to explain how a gay woman falls in love with a man was ever a good idea to begin with (and yes I know that's not the only way she falls in love with her potential romantic supports). I'm holding out until I play the game to confirm if this is real/to see if they added in a support conversion between Soleil and any of the playable women characters in the game, FeCorrin included of course but if this is the case, sad to say but I think the localization team made a bit of a mistake.

Xenoflare

Someone posted a brave version of Azura's song in English this morning and it's taken off.

GOD SOMEONE PLEASE THE AUDIO FILE DUMP

If you didn't see the character poll, there is a list that they survey in October.

I can't speak for the entire fandom for the rest of the unit members outside of the most popular characters, but the most popular characters are mostly consensus from the fandom and their wild fantasies. Support conversations play a pretty big role as well as overall design and quirks in how popular a character is.

I laid out why the top 3 male characters are what they are, the top female characters are pretty much similar with the exception of Oboro having pretty decent character development despite her ugly face trope.

Aqua is liked cause her seiyuu can sing. Other than that she's a pretty serious character for the most part. Rinkah is rough around the edges and she isn;t a particularly good unit. Her supports just show off her sort of "rude" and rough personality. She is a pretty good cook in her support with Tsukuyomi but she doesn't really stand out.

After the top 5 to top 8 it gets difficult because you don't really have a character that is well regarded throughout a majority of fans anymore it is all just personal preference. It is a lot more difficult in a game with a gigantic cast.

In terms of unpopular, Orochi is the least popular female character. She isn't really a good unit because her speed growths are trash and her supports are pretty boring too.

Interesting read, Shun. A shame about Rinkah though. She instantly caught my attention with her design. Maybe the western release will boost her popularity somewhat.

Gestahl

Azura has better str growth than her.

A lot of good it does her when a stiff breeze can bring her down to 0hp

She also has a better personal HP growth than Rinkah, Rinkah's 20% is absolutely miserable

And her full 40% growth goes down to 30% if she promotes to Shura

Top Bottom