• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

got to c10 conquest on my us copy... and i forgot how i beat that map in jp version.. derp
So there's multiple signed R's are in this set, as there's a Nanjo Signed Kiria as well.

Lucina's SR confirmed to have a signed version. Pray for Neko.

Reflet/Robin

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
time to lurk around yja

Draxal

Stolen from SF.

Tsubasa, Toma, Marth, Minerva, Nyna and Hardin (The latter was flashed really fast, he's definitely level 6)

Itsuki, Lucina, Robin, Severa, Lonqu and Cordelia

Sign SR: Itsuki, Tsubasa, Toma, Lucina, Robin, Marth
Additional sign R+ for: Kiria, Mamori, Yashiro, Eleanora (So 10 signs in total, 6 SR 4 R)

Hardin's card looked pretty bad ass.

Looks like Cordelia/Tiamo might be signed as well.

Meg looks comically out of place.
Like Eleonora the most of the #FE bunch.
Alvis looks cool.
Hans sketch makes me think "Where's Lago?"
MAID ELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE

random: guess the top 5 units most likely to get a perfect level up in their base class in Fates

(excluding Corrin)

#5: Odin, if only by virtue of having more Str than Mag in a Mag-oriented class See guys, Odin's good! He can get perfect levels!

I'm really not good at FE. I really just kept dying to super dumb things in 11. Like, I went to attack Azama who had no weapons left, not realizing that he could counter even with no weapons. Then, The next time I went, I thought I had enough life to take the counter hit, but it's like he used one of my own team members to do a double attack. I had animations turned off so I really don't even remember what happened.

Unless I'm mistaken, Azama has Miracle. Likely survived what was supposed to be killing blow only to kill you.

He looks like the generic enemy Maid if you cut their bangs off:

latest

Edit: Okay, Maid Leo doesn't look that much like the generic Maids, but still reminded me of them.

1wSztrS.png

No it wasn't necessary to make this, but I regret nothing

Draxal

when your 'pro' touch picks the correct packs with SRs

And it's all he does on these streams, takes five packs at a time and cuts them open while the others are so slow at opening them and talk the entire time.

edit. I'm pretty sure the stream announced an Fe LL 3DS Corrin/Kamui promo by Sachiko Wada; sigh.

Draxal

Her bounteous, radiant hillocks watch over and protect us all.

...How well did that figure do, anyway? Have they announced anything for Camilla yet besides the keychain?

Sold out pretty much instantly, they made a Cordelia figure which was in production for like three 3 years that is coming out in April I think.

L95

Her bounteous, radiant hillocks watch over and protect us all.

...How well did that figure do, anyway? Have they announced anything for Camilla yet besides the keychain?

Dunno about Camilla, but a scale Cordelia (allegedly) comes out next month.

Where is Revelation's Mii integration and motion controls?

Actually so far I've found it pretty gimmick free other than the godawful chapter 10. Well, 9 too but I don't think that counts since Conquest already had it.

Where is Revelation's Mii integration and motion controls?

Actually so far I've found it pretty gimmick free other than the godawful chapter 10. Well, 9 too but I don't think that counts since Conquest already had it.

I mean map gimmicks, Valla proper has way too many moving platforms and even before that it's generally pretty lame (10 being the standout, but 7 is dumb too, not to mention so many repeated maps in this section).

Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride 2.0 feat. Corrin and friends doesn't help either of course

7 wasn't bad so much as "why is this a map" since it's basically just having Corrin kill each room and then heal him in between.

10 was especially frustrating because of all the excellent droppable items, meaning you had to scour the entire map.

7 wasn't bad so much as "why is this a map" since it's basically just having Corrin kill each room and then heal him in between.

10 was especially frustrating because of all the excellent droppable items, meaning you had to scour the entire map.

7 is bad for actually the exact same reason as 10, it's just tediously checking the entire map for all the items

So, if I do a non-royal run of Revelation which units should I use to minimize the amount of teeth pulled?

units that I'm probably going to use due to still being decent and/or favoritism, in order of jointime:

Hayato
Oboro
Reina
Kagero
Selena
Silas
Shura

yami4ct

Ok. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright is finally a wrap. Thought I'd come in and throw in some final thoughts before moving onto Conquest.

-My 3DS record says my playtime was 92 hours, and I kind of don't believe that. At least half my time was spent messing around and grinding supports in Castle battles. I would say the actual game took me ~60 hours to beat on hard, which I'm kind of embarrassed by, but it did take me way too long to get my FE feet back under me.
-The download battles are super fun and that's why I spent so much time in them. It was great having a place to grind supports that didn't make my team OP EXP wise and just the battles themselves were fun ways to mess around and try new strategy.
-Story was OK. Not great, but not awful. It feels complete enough that if this were it, I'd be satisfied. I would say Azura's story and the Nohr people were undeveloped, but those aren't huge complaints to me as a singular tale.
-Supports were great overall and a ton of fun. Had way more fun here than in the normal story. Kids were all especially fun, and often more interesting than their parents. Shame they get the shaft in the main narrative.
-I liked how the epilogues fleshed out the kids' stories, but the wives seemed to get a bit shafted. Sucks because the women were by far my favorite characters. Men in Birthright were all kind of lame outside of Kage, Ryoma and maybe Silas.
-Class wise, Swordmaster played exactly how I liked and showed why it was still my favorite FE class. Sniper felt actually playable for once, but a lot of that was Takumi's special weapon. Kinshi knight felt woefully underpowered outside of the chapter it was introduced. Axe users shafted in general. Base Class wise, Buttler/Maid and High Ninja were the only two that felt inherently OP. Buttler was so powerful that it just negated any use of other staff users, especially since pure magic in this game is pretty lame.
-Character wise, Ryoma, Takumi, Hana, Kaza and Sophie were my MVPs. Kids in general seem like they could be super duper OP with a little planning, but Sophie is the only one that stood out in my playthrough. Ryoma felt like the only truly inherently OP unit, but I could see an argument for Kaze as well. Corrin didn't feel near as overpowered as Robin. She was very good, but not amazing. I didn't see why I would use her dragon attack at all when Yato just felt stronger with fewer weaknesses.
-Game was very much a victim to the reverse difficulty curve. Once I started promoting in the mid teen chapters, I just walked over everybody. Did the Paralagoues after Chapter 18 and those were semi tricky at times. Everything after that was a breeze besides maybe Chapter 25 and 27. 25 was only tricky until I figured out it was meant to be an offensive chapter where I went to the enemy and hunted them down instead of playing defense and having them come to me like most of the rest of the game.
-Most of the map design was pretty cool and fun. Not amazing, but acceptable. Dragon Vein added some cool ideas.

I think that covers my basic thoughts. I absolutely loved it and it left me even more excited to play Conquest. Felt like a great upgrade from the step back that was Awakening, even if I did enjoy that game as well despite its problems. I'd post all my marriage pairings, but I've already wrote way, way too much so I'll end here.

yami4ct

Maybe it's just everything else being better but I feel like Birthright's map design was way more interesting than most of Awakening's.

Enemy Layout might have been better in Awakening (I honestly don't remember), but I remember most of Awakenings maps being very square and bland. Birthright has a ton of neat ideas that maybe don't fully pan out, but at least they try. I feel like reinforcement zones make a lot more sense as well.

There are a lot of maps from Birthright I'll remember. The Opera House where you run along the pathways or freeze the water, the map where Reina is introduced with the boat, The map where you fight Xander in the locked central arena while your army skirmishes outside, Shigure's Paralogue with the two boats constantly broadsiding your's. the ninja village early on, the map where you come out of a hidden passage in the middle of a huge Nohrian army, and the mountain path where you split your army along two separate paths of staircases are all super memorable to me. Even if they aren't all fully successful at what they try, they were interesting.

King Fost

Neo Member
Having finished all three routes, I can confidently say that Conquest is the only good one, with Birthright and Revelation being complete pieces of shit. Even then, Conquest still has some sizable problems.

They totally should've gotten Matsuno to write the story, he could do plots like this in his sleep and he'd be the type to actively keep up with the game design to accommodate it into his scripts. If he did, Conquest would've been one of the best FEs of all time and Birthright and Revelation would've at least have had something going for them.

CazTGG

Having recently played through Awakening for the footage needed for a review of Fates...yeah it's hard to go back to it when Fates is such a massive improvement in every area save for the story, especially with the lack of map variety in comparison to even Birthright. Conquest is without a doubt the finest of the three Fates titles but Birthright is no slouch.

Having said that, am I the only one who misses when we had a ton of boss conversations that didn't involve the main character that boiled down to:
Corrin: I am sad we must fight. Please don't make us fight.
Boss: Repeat thing I said during the opening of the chapter.
Corrin: Reaffirm I don't want to fight you.

This seems to be a trend in the post-Shadow Dragon era and I don't quite like it.

Enemy Layout might have been better in Awakening (I honestly don't remember), but I remember most of Awakenings maps being very square and bland. Birthright has a ton of neat ideas that maybe don't fully pan out, but at least they try. I feel like reinforcement zones make a lot more sense as well.

There are a lot of maps from Birthright I'll remember. The Opera House where you run along the pathways or freeze the water, the map where Reina is introduced with the boat, The map where you fight Xander in the locked central arena while your army skirmishes outside, Shigure's Paralogue with the two boats constantly broadsiding your's. the ninja village early on, the map where you come out of a hidden passage in the middle of a huge Nohrian army, and the mountain path where you split your army along two separate paths of staircases are all super memorable to me. Even if they aren't all fully successful at what they try, they were interesting.
I award no points for effort, and open maps with good enemy placement are better than "interesting" layouts that are jokes in practice-Revelation of course takes the idea of map gimmicks to the extreme.

I mean let's look at the maps you mentioned:

chapter 12-mediocre map, extremely cheesable
chapter 11-this one's ok
Paralogue 3(?)-like every Birthright paralogue, an utter joke of a map
chapter 10-ehhh, hey at least there's an "enemy" recruitment here?
chapter 24 (?)-this map isn't anything special
chapter 19-Jank Tower was certainly memorable...but not actually a well-designed map

yami4ct

Having recently played through Awakening for the footage needed for a review of Fates...yeah it's hard to go back to it when Fates is such a massive improvement in every area save for the story, especially with the lack of map variety in comparison to even Birthright. Conquest is without a doubt the finest of the three Fates titles but Birthright is no slouch.

Having said that, am I the only one who misses when we had a ton of boss conversations that didn't involve the main character that boiled down to:
Corrin: I am sad we must fight. Please don't make us fight.
Boss: Repeat thing I said during the opening of the chapter.
Corrin: Reaffirm I don't want to fight you.

This seems to be a trend in the post-Shadow Dragon era and I don't quite like it.

Xander's
boss fight in Birthright was the absolute worst about this. That was the only part of Birthright's story that really actively bothered me.
Whoops. I accidentally stabbed my kid sister and she begged me not to fight my other Sister. I'm just gonna disregard that and do it anyway. I know my father is a horrible monster, but I have some vague idea of 'royalty' to uphold.
They could have at least tried with his motivation.

I award no points for effort, and open maps with good enemy placement are better than "interesting" layouts that are jokes in practice-Revelation of course takes the idea of map gimmicks to the extreme.

I had fun and interesting tactical encounters on some of those maps and I honestly don't remember having very many, if none at all, of those in Awakening. There are no maps that stand out at all in Awakening to me. I'm not going to stand here and say Birthright has some of the best maps in FE, it doesn't, but they were acceptable to me and much better than Awakening's blandness.

I had fun and interesting tactical encounters on some of those maps and I honestly don't remember having very many, if none at all, of those in Awakening. There are no maps that stand out at all in Awakening to me. I'm not going to stand here and say Birthright has some of the best maps in FE, it doesn't, but they were acceptable to me and much better than Awakening's blandness.

quick glance: mechanically good (and not just by Awakening standards) maps in Awakening: chapter 5, 10 (yes, even completely separate from Don't Speak Her Name and the plot here this is good map), 17 (better than any map in Birthright), 18, 21 (see 17)

not to mention child paralogues in Awakening are WAY better than Birthright child paralogues and it's not even close, and it's not like Awakening's paralogues were even that good! it's just that Birthright's suck, like the least bad one would probably be I dunno...Sophie's

(even Awakening's villager paralogue is better lol)

chapter 10-ehhh, hey at least there's an "enemy" recruitment here?
Whoa now I actually think 10 is one of the best Birthright maps, it's not really gimmicky but I thought it did a good job of interesting enemy placements, threatening enemies, and making good use of Azura and Takumi for the whole map.

Awakening does have some real standouts like 5 and 21 but I think as a whole I enjoyed Birthright much, much more.

CazTGG

Xander's
boss fight in Birthright was the absolute worst about this. That was the only part of Birthright's story that really actively bothered me.
Whoops. I accidentally stabbed my kid sister and she begged me not to fight my other Sister. I'm just gonna disregard that and do it anyway. I know my father is a horrible monster, but I have some vague idea of 'royalty' to uphold.
They could have at least tried with his motivation.

Compared to
Ryoma's equivalent chapter in Conquest, which is one of the few legitimately good parts of Conquest as Ryoma's anger in that moment stems from being told that Corrin killed his sister, Hinoka, and Corrin having to hold back the truth that she was spared so as not to lose Garon's trust due to Iago being present, Xander's
motivation was incredibly ridiculous given the events that precede that chapter in Birthright.
Oh no, my little sister died so we'd stop this pointless fight. Well, back to fighting because we need to justify some reason to have a map for this chapter. Also let's not take the super powerful sword with zero drawbacks after he dies, no room for it in the convoy.

yami4ct

Compared to
Ryoma's equivalent chapter in Conquest, which is one of the few legitimately good parts of Conquest as Ryoma's anger in that moment stems from being told that Corrin killed his sister, Hinoka, and Corrin having to hold back the truth that she was spared so as not to lose Garon's trust due to Iago being present, Xander's
motivation was incredibly ridiculous given the events that precede that chapter in Birthright.
Oh no, my little sister died so we'd stop this pointless fight. Well, back to fighting because we need to justify some reason to have a map for this chapter. Also let's not take the super powerful sword with zero drawbacks after he dies, no room for it in the convoy.

I think they could have had something with it. The idea that
nobility has to stand for the country, even if it means doing rotten shit for distasteful people
could be compelling, but none of that is conveyed at all and it just feels cheap and random. I think the game wanted me to feel awful in that moment, but I felt nothing because he just came off like a stupid asshole.

jnWake

Being the resident Awakening scrub of this thread, maps are definitely not a high point. A huge part of the maps are just flat, maybe with some woods or sand to mix up traversal. Even important chapters like when you fight
Validar
or
Aversa
are entirely flat.

Going from FE7 or FE8 to Awakening feels like definite step down in terms of maps. There are a few cool maps though like the obligatory ship map (which is inferior to the obscenely hard one in FE8), the tree map and some of the castle ones. Paralogues are also a lot better.

Being the resident Awakening scrub of this thread, maps are definitely not a high point. A huge part of the maps are just flat, maybe with some woods or sand to mix up traversal. Even important chapters like when you fight
Validar
or
Aversa
are entirely flat.

Going from FE7 or FE8 to Awakening feels like definite step down in terms of maps. There are a few cool maps though like the obligatory ship map (which is inferior to the obscenely hard one in FE8), the tree map and some of the castle ones. Paralogues are also a lot better.

...chapter 14 in Awakening is a weak map lol, 16 is ok but nothing special (and also features the only actually bullshit same turn reinforcements in the game with the fliers)

Top Bottom