• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

jnWake

...chapter 14 in Awakening is a weak map lol, 16 is ok but nothing special (and also features the only actually bullshit same turn reinforcements in the game with the fliers)

I mean, they feel cool in context haha. After playing like a hundred flat maps in a row, having corridors is like a revelation.

Shun

This is one of the chapters I cheesed in the past cause it pissed me off but shit...

I am going to take a break for a couple days. 20 tries on Lunatic Chapter 25 on a no cheesing/grind run and I hate life.

Fuck your 3 range bow/kunai + Inevitable End/Lunge bullshit.

I have a save file to go back to before this chapter in case I decide to level scum Kamui and say fuck it and try killing Ryouma instead.

Might have to reload a save and test different experience and level ups for different characters. Maybe not efficient enough.

Gaiden had that. (Group EXP, as the fan translation calls it)

We could also perhaps count Path of Radiance's and Radiant Dawn's bonus EXP.

eh, Gaiden's bonus exp at the end of the map is hardly anything, even a level 1 Villager only gets 20 EXP at the end of a map

BEXP, well let's just say it's extremely broken

Draxal

Cordelia/Caeldori/Tiamo/Matoi

CdjoU97VIAATZd9.png:large

Draxal

Cordelia, Lucina, Marth, Azura, Corrin (male) and (female) are the only cards with two SRs so far. Tis a weird mix.

Owain, Gaius and Inigo are also getting new Rares in this set. That popularity poll really helps in giving characters cards.

yami4ct

Conquest lets you know right off the bat it's not pulling punches. Definite difficulty upswing from Birthright and I'm just through the first 3 chapters. Part of that is the reverse difficulty curve of Birthright, but it's a definite upswing even still. Was going to knock it down to Normal after playing Birthright hard, but I'm having a lot of fun so I'll stick with Hard for now.

Chapter 8 was confounding me for a while. It seemed nearly impossible to get visit 3 houses on time, but then I remembered I had the Freeze staff. 1 charge of that gave me enough wiggle room to fit the third in. I pretty much only used the special effect staves once in Birthright. Have a feeling I'm going to have to get to know them here. Also, for some reason Corrin's dragon form is proving infinitely more useful. Not sure if it's just due to base Yato not being as amazing as it is later, but I'm definitely leaning int that transformation way more in 3 chapters than I ever did in Birthright.

Renewed

I haven't had much time to play so I'm only up to chapter 11 on lunatic but I haven't used the Freeze staff that much. I sent someone to capture the western houses in ch8 by killing Flora immediately then grabbing the first house the unit goes for. Between EXP and gold, I think I should have let a house go because I haven't used my gold that much yet.

I think I used a freeze staff on Oboro to stall her debuff for a turn so Effie could keep being my wall in the final turns of ch10. As for now, Corrin and Jakob are married but I've stopped there while I wrap up some things this week and wait till the weekend.

CazTGG

Conquest lets you know right off the bat it's not pulling punches. Definite difficulty upswing from Birthright and I'm just through the first 3 chapters. Part of that is the reverse difficulty curve of Birthright, but it's a definite upswing even still. Was going to knock it down to Normal after playing Birthright hard, but I'm having a lot of fun so I'll stick with Hard for now.

The difference in difficulty (which I feel is a bit exaggerated though this may come from the lack of grinding when I first played Birthright) comes from three main factors:
1. Lack of Hoshidan weaponry and rods so healers are more in danger than they would be in Birthright and mages are even less useful than they were in Birthright. What can be considered the classic Fire Emblem weaponry is hard to go back to after the more helpful ones featured in Birthright, ease of being able to purchase Beast Killer, Armorslayer and other special weaponry aside.

2. Conquest is more consistently challenging in terms of a difficulty curve. Birthright's difficulty fluctuated from chapter to chapter: You could go from three relatively fair maps to one "oh wow this is tough, reset, reset, reset" map while Conquest goes from a challenging map to a slightly more challenging map.

3. Limited ability to grind gold and experience points. Invasions and paralogues do allow for additional experience to be earned, but it's not as forgiving nor as plentiful as Birthright.

yami4ct

The difference in difficulty (which I feel is a bit exaggerated though this may come from the lack of grinding when I first played Birthright) comes from three main factors:
1. Lack of Hoshidan weaponry and rods so healers are more in danger than they would be in Birthright and mages are even less useful than they were in Birthright. What can be considered the classic Fire Emblem weaponry is hard to go back to after the more helpful ones featured in Birthright, ease of being able to purchase Beast Killer, Armorslayer and other special weaponry aside.

2. Conquest is more consistently challenging in terms of a difficulty curve. Birthright's difficulty fluctuated from chapter to chapter: You could go from three relatively fair maps to one "oh wow this is tough, reset, reset, reset" map while Conquest goes from a challenging map to a slightly more challenging map.

3. Limited ability to grind gold and experience points. Invasions and paralogues do allow for additional experience to be earned, but it's not as forgiving nor as plentiful as Birthright.

The healer thing definitely got me. Pretty early into Chapter 7 I had a 'Oh shit, Nohr Rods are 1 Range' moment. It's going to be such a big adjustment coming from Birthrights default 2 range heals.

What units should I avoid in Conquest? I know both Orochi and Hayto were pretty worthless in Birthright and Rinkah was just generally not great. I don't want to invest EXP in a unit I can't make good use of if I have a better option.

The healer thing definitely got me. Pretty early into Chapter 7 I had a 'Oh shit, Nohr Rods are 1 Range' moment. It's going to be such a big adjustment coming from Birthrights default 2 range heals.

What units should I avoid in Conquest? I know both Orochi and Hayto were pretty worthless in Birthright and Rinkah was just generally not great. I don't want to invest EXP in a unit I can't make good use of if I have a better option.

bench Benny, if you're not using an Ebon Wing on Nyx bench her too, Odin isn't really worth it either

For real though, what would a top 10 units list in Fire Emblem look like?

obviously Sigurd/Seth/Robin are grabbing #1-#3 free but then sorting the #1s of the other games is rather difficult

Top 10 by popularity, character wise, or usefulness?

Also I find the Seth praise amusing, I never used him because I though he was boring and so was his design. To tell the truth, I didn't like most of Sacred Stones squad.

CSX

Also I find the Seth praise amusing, I never used him because I though he was boring and so was his design. To tell the truth, I didn't like most of Sacred Stones squad.

The video was both as a story character and usefulness as a unit.

For real though, what would a top 10 units list in Fire Emblem look like?

obviously Sigurd/Seth/Robin are grabbing #1-#3 free but then sorting the #1s of the other games is rather difficult
Milady, Asvel and Safy, Caeda, Kris and Palla, and maybe Seliph? Some of these are hearsay (I've never played FE12) but this is my best guess. Oh, and Haar or Jill probably.

CazTGG

Benny is pretty much outclassed by Effie, as are the dark mages you get by Odin's daughter, Ophelia. Also, between Arthur and Charlotte, Charlotte is a much heavier hitter with lasting power if you give her Sol so if you're looking for an axe-wielder that isn't mounted she's recommended.

L95

Something interesting about Seth is that he's apparently younger than Kyle. (This can be figured by some math shenanigans if you read a couple supports. I don't recall which supports, but I remember reading a topic on it on SF...)

EDIT: Seth mentions being a lil squire 10 years ago in Franz/Seth, and Kyle/Syrene mentions Kyle being a knight for over ten years, I guess this technically doesn't imply their ages, but at the least Kyle has been in full knighthood longer than Seth, but Seth is still higher ranking.

PK Gaming

WatchMojo just did Top 10 FE Units.

Puts roy @ 2nd lol.....

List was whatever, but it was the justification on some of the characters that really bugged me (Lyn is essential...?).

Also, Ike's English VA is truly, truly awful. Like, it's embarrassingly bad. I think I actually would have liked the character more if he had a better voice actor.

Should have been voiced by Kyle Herbert

Lyn is essential for killing Batta, the strongest boss in the series.

you literally can't beat the game without using Lyn

best unit in the series, tied with all the other characters you can't beat the game without like every lord needed to seize+Laura+Lucia+Geoffrey+Ranulf and a few others /s

Chrom

main.png
main.png

New 3DS themes coming out next week in Japan. They're of the top four most popular male and female characters from the popularity poll.

PK Gaming

:lol

In other news the FE:Fates poll winners get to be featured in the next 2 FE:Fates 3DS themes

CdodvC3WIAAIQhY.png
Cdodv1uWIAAs4qx.png

Xander & Camilla

worthy.gif

Leo & Takumi

worthy.gif
worthy.gif

Corrin & Oboro

worthy.gif
worthy.gif
worthy.gif

EDIT: DAMN YOU CHROM

1000 CURSES FOR YOU AND YOUR FUTURE CHILDREN

L95

TBH, Jakob looks more off to me than Oboro. Maybe I just don't like the backlighting. I think there's something about his cheek that's making me read him as being older.

wonder how they are choosing who gets one

it's not top 3 cause shiro and fox girl got skipped over unless they are being rude

is it one from each faction, cause that's just silly

/salty shiro's getting skipped over

Top Bottom