• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Draxal

Stolen from reddit with garbage formatting (go click their link for the proper formatting).

Game Number of Male Characters Number of Female Characters MU/Child % Female
7 31 13 0 29.55
8 22 12 0 35.29
9 30 13 0 30.23
10 46 26 0 36.11
11 41 10 0 19.61
13 23 23 2 50
14 34 34 2 50

Now only if they fixed the boob armor/booty windows. 4 also had great gender balance as well iirc.

And looking at the art again, I honestly really like Sachiko Wada's art, Sacred Stones is so underrated.

PK Gaming

CfA0T7bVIAAdQF-.jpg

I'm glad that F!Corrin is still getting repped but...

Where is Robin?!

Draxal

I'm glad that F!Corrin is still getting repped but...

Where is Robin?!

Red (Shadow Dragon/Moe/Achanea) Rep is Marth
Blue (Awakening/Ylisse) Rep is Chrom Lucina
White (Fates/Hoshido) Rep is Male Corrin
Black (Fates/Nohr) Rep is Female Corrin
Green (Tellius/Por/RD) Rep is Ike
# Red/Blue subfaction (JAPAN/#FE) rep is Itsuki
Purple (Elibe/Binding Blade/Blazing Sword) rep is Roy.

Each of those factions have starter decks.

Yes.

YES.

yes.

I've been saying this forever, my favorite artist!

I'm pretty sure she's drawing the Corrin/Kamui for the If 3DS LL promo, I can't wait to see it.

Once they get to the Sacred Stones set, I'm pretty sure she'll be the lead artist for that set (I think the manga artist is the lead artist for Roy's set, and Rika Suzuki is the lead artist for the Seisen set).

Renewed

How in the flying fuck did Camilla win against Leo in that poll... oh right.

Hoshido Winners: Ryoma and Selkie

Nohr Winners: Camilla and Soleil

There was a hilarious surge of stuffed votes in both matches, Camilla probably would've won anyway but it did inflate the margin by a few %.

anyway nothing is gonna from this besides some poorly cropped image you know it

PK Gaming

The character selection was really weak.

No Xander, but Ryoma, Shigure, Selkie and Rhajat? I mean, no disrespect to any of those characters, but with a bracket like that they're going to get steamrolled by Camilla. Feels like the twitter account owner went with their own whims, which is whatever but definitely not accurate.

(Really, no Xander?)

Nothing, I absolutely love her and all of the characters I mentioned. But there's no way they're top 8 in terms of popularity. Ryoma, maybe, but the rest? There's no way...

well yeah that's what happens when you divide it the way they did, we all know Xander is at least top 8 and probably top 5 (#3?)

Neol

Think for them to be on the bracket twitter people needed to nominate them so in a way those are the most popular characters according to twitter.

Surprised to see no Xander as well as Shigure and Rhajat being there.

PK Gaming

Think for them to be on the bracket twitter people needed to nominate them so in a way those are the most popular characters according to twitter.

Surprised to see no Xander and Shigure and Rhajat there though.

They ended up deleting that original tweet, yeah? Because things got too hectic?

I figure they just went YOLO after that point.

Neol

They ended up deleting that original tweet, yeah? Because things got too hectic?

I figure they just went YOLO after that point.

Ahh didn't notice they deleted the original tweet. It doesn't seem that off but I can see it being super questionable.

For comparison here is the popularity poll that famitsu did awhile ago and I find it pretty accurate to what I think would be the most popular.

spiritfox

The poll does seem to mirror the Japanese results. It's just how the categories are set. Xander would be tying with Camilla for 2nd, but maybe Camilla got more overall votes.

So...Nyx!Rhajat and Orochi!Ophelia or vice versa? I'm not really going to be using either so gameplay isn't particularly important (although Nyx!Rhajat does have crazy offensive parameters...)

Draxal

The poll does seem to mirror the Japanese results. It's just how the categories are set. Xander would be tying with Camilla for 2nd, but maybe Camilla got more overall votes.

Nah, kids are off except for Selkie. I mean how is Shigure even a Nohrian? And the three most popular kids were left off (nina, ophelia, and forrest).

Azuran

Banned
Ahh didn't notice they deleted the original tweet. It doesn't seem that off but I can see it being super questionable.

For comparison here is the popularity poll that famitsu did awhile ago and I find it pretty accurate to what I think would be the most popular.

I'm sure Arthur and maybe Silas would be in the male top 10 for sure if they held that poll in NA. Saizo also seems to be pretty popular over here too. Jakob and Takumi would be a bit lower just because they're a lot more divisive.

Females would probably the same except for Nina would probably one of the least popular female kids. Selkie, Midori, and Velouria just seem to be way more popular than her in this side of the world.

Moonlight

Banned
I firmly believe a legit NA poll would see Hana and Peri move up at least eight slots, and probably like... ten. Flora would tank as well, dunno why she's that high up in the first place. She's got a killer design and she had potential story-wise, but uh... yeah. Don't think anyone on this side of the Pacific would say she's top five material.

I think we wouldn't see major deviations when it comes to dudes, though. Xander might outpace Leo (undeserved), but excluding Corrin that top five seems pretty in line with what I'm seeing. I think Keaton, Silas, and Arthur would rise, but not like, meaningfully.

yami4ct

Maybe it's because my Sophie was a goddess of the battlefield in Birthright, but man I like Sophie and she'd be way, way higher on my personal list.

Azuran

Banned
I firmly believe a legit NA poll would see Hana and Peri move up at least eight slots, and probably like... ten. Flora would tank as well, dunno why she's that high up in the first place. She's got a killer design and she had potential story-wise, but uh... yeah. Don't think anyone on this side of the Pacific would say she's top five material.

I think we wouldn't see major deviations when it comes to dudes, though. Xander might outpace Leo (undeserved), but excluding Corrin that top five seems pretty in line with what I'm seeing. I think Keaton, Silas, and Arthur would rise, but not like, meaningfully.

I agree with Hana but Peri would never crack the top 10 over here. I personally like her but her personality is a huge turn off for a lot of people. There's a reason why the sweet and kind characters tend to be the most popular ones.

Moonlight

Banned
...that's not exactly true, though. Tharja's arguably the most popular non-Lord in the western FEA fandom, and while Peri's not exactly as dour, she definitely belongs in a similar realm of darker, more morbid characters. And it's not like her archetype is alien, either. Bubbly yet homicidal describes a ton of comic book characters (and one in particular), for instance. Honestly, it's an area that I think western popular culture has explored even more of. So like, sure, Peri's personality type is extreme, but as much as it might be a huge turn off for some people, all that affects is how strong those people feel about it. I think Peri goes over well with people, for the most part.

I never said Peri would absolutely make top ten in a consolidated list, either. At the very least, however, she'd be close to it, and much higher than where she wound up on the Japanese list. And anecdotally, she's far better represented among non-royal Nohrian characters in the areas I frequent.

...that's not exactly true, though. Tharja's arguably the most popular non-Lord in the western FEA fandom, and while Peri's not exactly as dour, she definitely belongs in a similar realm of darker, more morbid characters. And it's not like her archetype is alien, either. Bubbly yet homicidal describes a ton of comic book characters (and one in particular), for instance. Honestly, it's an area that I think western popular culture has explored even more of. So like, sure, Peri's personality type is extreme, but as much as it might be a huge turn off for some people, all that affects is how strong those people feel about it. I think Peri goes over well with people, for the most part.

I never said Peri would absolutely make top ten in a consolidated list, either. At the very least, however, she'd be close to it, and much higher than where she wound up on the Japanese list. And anecdotally, she's far better represented among non-royal Nohrian characters in the areas I frequent.

nah I don't buy this at all

Tharja? super high up in Japan as well, Peri, absolutely nowhere, especially cause we all know if it weren't for Tharja's outfit she wouldn't have gone far anyway

Moonlight

Banned
...yeah, but like, my point specifically had to do with the fact that Japanese rankings don't matter for this argument. I specified the western FE fanbase because the conversation is about how different a list might (and should) look from the Japanese one. Popular characters don't need to be 'sweet and kind', and they don't always need to be characters you'd love to know and meet in real life. I think Peri appeals a lot more strictly to western tastes than she does in Japan, thus I'm suggesting a disparity.

Azuran

Banned

The big difference is that Peri straight up tells you that she kills innocent people for fun without joking about it. There's also her support with Felicia that leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth. There's just a big difference when she does that stuff to characters that are nice and on your side.

Tharja is a stalker type but she's not straight up ax crazy like Peri. The comic book comparison doesn't really work in this context because you're not meant to interact with those characters the way you do with the ones in this game.

...yeah, but like, my point specifically had to do with the fact that Japanese rankings don't matter for this argument. I specified the western FE fanbase because the conversation is about how different a list might (and should) look from the Japanese one. Popular characters don't need to be 'sweet and kind', and they don't always need to be characters you'd love to know and meet in real life. I think Peri appeals a lot more strictly to western tastes than she does in Japan, thus I'm suggesting a disparity.

except I disagree that there is a fundamental difference between regions when it comes to those types to begin with, the greatest disparities would be characters like Arthur and Jakob instead

Moonlight

Banned
Tharja is a stalker type but she's not straight up ax crazy like Peri. The comic book comparison doesn't really work in this context because you're not meant to interact with those characters the way you do with the ones in this game.
I don't really see a meaningful difference between reading a support and reading a page of a comic or a scene in a movie. I think interaction would have more weight as a counterpoint if that was anything you seriously did with these characters when your input's mostly just relegated to your interest in seeing more of it.

except I disagree that there is a fundamental difference when it comes to those types to begin with, the greatest disparities would be characters like Arthur and Jakob instead
This conversation probably isn't going to get anywhere if we're just going keep going 'no' at each other, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that western culture is more geared (demonstrably so) to accept violent (but entertaining) characters like Peri than a culture far stricter in their tolerance of gore and that Peri would benefit from that difference in tolerance.

And with the understanding that I'm pulling for the same poll that deems Walmart the second most popular character in Awakening, Henry (a far more reasonable comparison and a 'darker' character than his Japanese version) ended that poll at #3 and while we can't use that poll for anything definitive for obvious reasons, I don't think people had a vested interest in a 'for the lulz' vote for Henry like the agenda behind Walmart. Henry's probably not #3 if you got an honest and straightforward vote from the fandom, but he's definitely a popular character.

Azuran

Banned
I don't really see a meaningful difference between reading a support and reading a page of a comic or a scene in a movie. I think interaction would have more weight as a counterpoint if that was anything you seriously did with these characters when your input's mostly just relegated to your interest in seeing more of it.

By more interaction I meant that the game expects you to fall in love and "marry" these characters, which is something a comic book will never ask from you.

The other thing is that those bubbly but homicidal characters tend to be villains or very dark anti heroes at best so people are more accepting of their morbid personality traits because that's exactly what we expect from them. I'm not saying all playable characters have to be goody two shoes, but they also shouldn't be killing people for fun, especially if they're allies, if you want the majority of people to fall in love with them

This conversation probably isn't going to get anywhere if we're just going keep going 'no' at each other, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that western culture is more geared (demonstrably so) to accept violent (but entertaining) characters like Peri than a culture far stricter in their tolerance of gore and that Peri would benefit from that difference in tolerance.

And with the understanding that I'm pulling for the same poll that deems Walmart the second most popular character in Awakening, Henry (a far more reasonable comparison) ended that poll at #3 and while we can't use that poll for anything definitive for obvious reasons, I don't think people had a vested interest in a 'for the lulz' vote for Henry like the agenda behind Walmart.

Henry makes puns (which you know, didn't really exist in the Japanese version, likely the real difference here) and generally is portrayed as more of a jokester in the localization, Peri uh....whoops

and I'd like to know what corners of the internet you're looking at, cause from what I see the non-royal Nohr favorites are the Awakening trio, Niles, Arthur

edit: 1st gen only, or we could throw in Ophelia/Soleil/Velouria/etc.

PK Gaming

I definitely get where Moonlight is coming from. Peri's archetype is clearly unappealing in Japan, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to the Western fandom. She's definitely regarded as "funny" and "entertaining" (partly due to her snappier dialogue and partly tweaked supports), and the fan reaction I've seen (Gamefaqs, tumblr, GAF, twitter, reddit, etc) backs that up. Moonlight isn't saying that she's super popular here, but instead, is trying to say that she definitely has her fair of share of fans in the West (as opposed to in Japan where her fanbase is downright anemic)

tumblr_o3v9h80LNX1tqo43io1_400.jpg

I mean come on, she got a bunch of fans from that immensenly memorable introduction alone. Localized Peri >>> OG Peri

Moonlight

Banned
The other thing is that those bubbly but homicidal characters tend to be villains or very dark anti heroes at best so people are more accepting of their morbid personality traits because that's exactly what we expect from them. I'm not saying all playable characters have to be goody two shoes, but they also shouldn't be killing people for fun, especially if they're allies, if you want the majority of people to fall in love with them
Peri's not exactly an exception when it comes to Nohrian characters, though. Beruka spends like half her supports talking about how she has no emotions and how sick it was when she killed this one guy and literally every support she has with a royal is her going I COULD TOTALLY KILL YOU IF I WANTED YOU KNOW. Camilla is a similarly gruesome character that manifests that in a slightly different way, Niles is an A-grade shitlord to most people he meets, etc.

Henry makes puns (which you know, didn't really exist in the Japanese version, likely the real difference here) and isn't actually nearly as crazy, Peri uh....whoops

and I'd like to know what corners of the internet you're looking at, cause from what I see the non-royal Nohr favorites are the Awakening trio, Niles, Arthur
Henry's definitely a more sadistic character in his localized variant, and I think how much 'crazier' she is outside of that point doesn't really matter, since I think it's already clear that that's all besides the point, really. No one cares if a character is 'crazy' as long as they're funny/interesting/etc.

As for what corners, same as they've always been. Twitter and Tumblr. I never said Peri was a clear favourite, either. She still comes up in these kinds of discussions, I've found, more than most other Nohrians.

Azuran

Banned
I definitely get where Moonlight is coming from. Peri's archetype is clearly unappealing in Japan, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to the Western fandom. She's definitely regarded as "funny" and "entertaining" (partly due to her snappier dialogue and partly tweaked supports), and the fan reaction I've seen (Gamefaqs, tumblr, GAF, twitter, reddit, etc) backs that up. Moonlight isn't saying that she's super popular here, but instead, is trying to say that she definitely has her fair of share of fans in the West (as opposed to in Japan where her fanbase is downright anemic)

tumblr_o3v9h80LNX1tqo43io1_400.jpg

I mean come on, she got a bunch of fans from that immensenly memorable introduction alone. Localized Peri >>> OG Peri

I agree that Peri is hilarious. I probably love the character just as much as Moonlight does. But I also don't see her cracking up the top 15 if they were to hold the poll because she also seems to have a large part of the fanbase that dislikes her and it makes a huge difference when she's not exactly the most popular character in the game.

Just by looking at the Japanese poll, I can see a lot of characters near her rank that would climb the ladder lot more than her in North America.

Peri's not exactly an exception when it comes to Nohrian characters, though. Beruka spends like half her supports talking about how she has no emotions and how sick it was when she killed this one guy and literally every support she has with a royal is her going I COULD TOTALLY KILL YOU IF I WANTED YOU KNOW. Camilla is a similarly gruesome character that manifests that in a slightly different way, Niles is an A-grade shitlord to most people he meets, etc.

Henry's definitely a more sadistic character in his localized variant, and I think how much 'crazier' she is outside of that point doesn't really matter, since I think it's already clear that that's all besides the point, really. No one cares if a character is 'crazy' as long as they're funny/interesting/etc.

As for what corners, same as they've always been. Twitter and Tumblr. I never said Peri was a clear favourite, either. She still comes up in these kinds of discussions, I've found, more than most other Nohrians.

Beruka doesn't seem to be a pretty popular character over here from what I've personally seen and this is coming from someone that spends a lot of time in places like Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and Gamefaqs. Niles on the other hand is popular because even he personally admits he's a shitlord, which is why people love him. But he also display a nice side from time to time which is why he doesn't have a lot of detractors.

As for Camilla, I guess that power of breast is pretty strong because I personally don't see why people love her beyond that.
Also being a complete ass to Hinoka on Conquest didn't help her case with me either >.>

She still comes up in these kinds of discussions, I've found, more than most other Nohrians.
There are 17 first gen Nohr-exclusive characters.

ones I'd take without a second thought over Peri in a popularity contest, by ingame join time:

Elise
Arthur
Odin
Niles
Camilla
Selena
Laslow
Leo
Xander

oops that's over half

(and I'm probably not giving characters like Charlotte enough consideration, just going for the slam dunks)

tell me, which characters in the Japanese poll do you see Peri jumping over? because I also see Hana and maybe a few others jumping her in a western poll (who knows, maybe memes can carry Midori)

Moonlight

Banned
There are 17 first gen Nohr-exclusive characters.

ones I'd take without a second thought over Peri in a popularity contest, by ingame join time:

Elise
Arthur
Odin
Niles
Camilla
Selena
Laslow
Leo
Xander

oops that's over half

(and I'm probably not giving characters like Charlotte enough consideration, just going for the slam dunks)
I've always been thinking about this along the same terms of the Japanese poll, though - the male/female split, and among the first-generations, she's just behind the royals sisters and Selena (and I'm just a bit iffy here), by my estimation. I don't think Charlotte clicked for western fans like she obviously did for Japanese ones.

As for the second part of your question, I don't follow what you're asking for exactly. If we're following the consolidated gender split format like the poll image and assuming you just mean the characters currently ahead of her, then I'd say she would beat out Setsuna, Effie, Beruka, Charlotte, Velouria, maybe Felicia, and obviously Flora. And when you cut out the Hoshidans, and like I was saying, I think Peri compares favourably to her direct 'competition'.

Though really the worst part about thinking about an American list is thinking about how Oboro probably wouldn't place as high as she did in the Japanese poll.

As for the second part of your question, I don't follow what you're asking for exactly. If we're following the consolidated gender split format like the poll image and assuming you just mean the characters currently ahead of her, then I'd say she would beat out Setsuna, Effie, Beruka, Charlotte, Velouria, maybe Felicia, and obviously Flora. And when you cut out the Hoshidans, and like I was saying, I think Peri compares favourably to her direct 'competition'.

Though really the worst part about thinking about an American list is thinking about how Oboro probably wouldn't place as high as she did in the Japanese poll.

I firmly believe a legit NA poll would see Hana and Peri move up at least eight slots, and probably like... ten.

you listed 7 characters, I don't even think all of them would get passed by Peri to begin with and that doesn't include characters that pass her too

Moonlight

Banned
Then sure, my estimate was a little too optimistic. I'll admit I wasn't thinking about the specifics of it. Still see her going way up due to the difference in audience, and I definitely can't see her losing to almost any of the characters I mentioned. The only characters below her I see beating her are Hana and maybe Mozu. I think for the most part, the top 20 are still going to be made of the same characters (well, not sold on Beruka and definitely not on Flora), just in a pretty different order once you get past the inevitability of the royals owning both brackets.

Xbro

Does Thracia 776's story ever really pick up? Not that it's been bad so far, I just feel like there are a lot of chapters where nothing happens, which is a stark contrast to FE4 where every chapter a lot of stuff happens.

L95

Does Thracia 776's story ever really pick up? Not that it's been bad so far, I just feel like there are a lot of chapters where nothing happens, which is a stark contrast to FE4 where every chapter a lot of stuff happens.

That's mainly because of the huge scale difference, doesn't the entirety of Thracia take place at the same time as one/two chapters of Genealogy?

On a tangent I wish we had a final boss that wasn't a dragon/god or powered by one, the only game that fits this description is Thracia and even then the guy is just part of a group whose leader is possessed by a dragon thing anyway.

FE9 kinda?

I actually really like that FE7's final boss is just a regular dragon. Making the super powerful final boss something that used to be a common enemy gave a lot of context to why the Scouring was a big deal in a way the weaker manaketes from FE6 didn't.

FE9 kinda?

I actually really like that FE7's final boss is just a regular dragon. Making the super powerful final boss something that used to be a common enemy gave a lot of context to why the Scouring was a big deal in a way the weaker manaketes from FE6 didn't.

Ashnard is powered by the medallion, containing the power of a goddess

although it says something that FE9 is the second closest

CazTGG

On a tangent I wish we had a final boss that wasn't a dragon/god or powered by one, the only game that fits this description is Thracia and even then the guy is just part of a group whose leader is possessed by a dragon thing anyway.

Hey, Lyon was possessed by the Demon King, get your facts straight!

In all seriousness, while I do find the series tendency to rely on dragons as the final boss and dark mage manipulating the scene a bit tiring, i'll take a single dragon that showcases their power and the potential devastation a war against them would be in Elibe a la Fire Emblem 7 over the pretentious SMT-wannabe garbage that was Ashera in Radiant Dawn or King Laughs Evilly in Fire Emblem Fates
who technically fits this in Birthright because he changes into a dragon...but is a blob in Conquest...
. As long as they do it right and has some variation to it, the archetype's appearance is fine, if frequent.

Top Bottom