• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Moonlight

Banned
I think Fate/GO's kind of a bad game, but that's a game that has a continuous narrative while still retaining pretty much every classic mobage thing.

As far as map design goes, eh, I think you don't need that much effort. Just a couple templates and subscribe to Awakening map theory for the filler content. Complicate the strategy with enemy compositions and resource nodes and such.

mobage FE game

NC2XAtd.png

praise Anna

EDIT: Wait, it's fake?

2AY4X1Y.jpg
i was sold too, don't worry

yami4ct

check the tags dude

could unit balance actually be worse than Revelation anyway though

Well, imagine a FE had to balance hundreds of units (Normal fare for a mobage), and couldn't require you had any certain power level to beat a map, while at the same time had to make rarer units more powerful to keep people rolling. FE units have enough balance trouble as is. This disregards the fact they'd likely have to power creep new units over time to keep people interested and constantly add new ideas and classes in.

I think Fate/GO's kind of a bad game, but that's a game that has a continuous narrative while still retaining pretty much every classic mobage thing.

Does that game add in content all that quickly? Terra Battle is the only big narrative Mobage I've played, and while the content there was really cool, Mistwalker just can't put out content fast enough.

Moonlight

Banned
Does that game add in content all that quickly? Terra Battle is the only big narrative Mobage I've played, and while the content there was really cool, Mistwalker just can't put out content fast enough.
Story content wise, eh, it's like a bi-monthly (tr-monthly?) thing that tosses in an entire 'region' of story as far as I'm aware, but they hold other events frequently, so there's rarely lulls in terms of content to play through. If nothing else, it proves you don't need to offer complete stories off the bat or tie content directly to story to keep players invested as long as they can still get stuff.

yami4ct

Story content wise, eh, it's like a bi-monthly (tr-monthly?) thing that tosses in an entire 'region' of story as far as I'm aware, but they hold other events frequently, so there's rarely lulls in terms of content to play through. If nothing else, it proves you don't need to offer complete stories off the bat or tie content directly to story to keep players invested as long as they can still get stuff.

I do think, long term, you need content at a good clip to survive. You can keep players going with a drip feed of content for a while, but as soon as a good number of people get endgame teams, they are going to want new content every other week or once a month at the least. It's what makes games with intricately balanced levels or story that needs to be written hard to do in a F2P form.

I don't think it's an impossible idea, or necessarily a bad model, but it's a hard way to go.

Shun

FGO is popular and has events on a near biweekly basis.

It helps that Type Moon is likely repurposing a lot of their cancelled visual novel and works to use for FGO events too.

iDOLM@STER, while being a rhythm game, has an event almost every 10 days with some rest in between days and new songs each and every event.

Most of the other iDOLM@STER games are just your standard fare battle RPGs where you collect cards and battle users to see which stats win out. Not really an RPG in the GranBlue/TerraBattle sense but there are frequent events and stories for those games too.

GranBlue, despite not having events as fast as the other two games, benefit from having huge collaborations with Street Fighter and iDOLMASTER events that last longer than usual. GranBlue has been doing this for 2 years now and has one of the biggest presence at TGS. It's a really big game.

Contrary to what some members think, mobage have been pretty generous and they've been full of content as of recent years. Easy to stay a free player, but easy to make money too. Not every game does it right, but for the most popular games they do it well and give you more and that's really only possible because of the backing they get from companies like Kadokawa and GungHo and SEGA and Bandai Namco. Nintendo can take the formula and hit pretty big if they care enough. There are a lot of assets and enough assets to reuse.

It's especially easy when you reprint events if the events and cards are limited. You can get away by recycling events for hard to get stuff.

yami4ct

I don't think we'll see Nintendo get into the Gacha game for in game characters as a part of their Mobage model. At least not for a while. They seem to be pretty against pay models they consider exploitative.

I also agree with you on Mobages. PAD is legit one of my Top 10 games of all time and that's because GungHo can constantly update and rebalance the game.

Moonlight

Banned
I think if Nintendo ever wanted to take mobage seriously as an angle for Fire Emblem, they shouldn't have a problem cranking out a consistent stream of content, and it helps that the character-centric gacha model is itself somewhat self-sustaining. Something like FGO (or IM@S) want you to keep building new, alternative teams with brand new characters they've introduced and grind with your old teams and pay into the gacha to acquire them, and heavily promote the all-new additions they make, which keeps reused content 'fresher', sort of, because a lot of the content will still be usable for building teams or acquiring resources for evolutions even when you've already built a powerful team.

yami4ct

I think they'd absolutely be able to crank out character content quickly enough. You could easily offer tons of old and new heroes and offer hero variants that offer new class sets if need be.

I think the problem is the map content. For a game like PAD, Brave Frontier or Monster Strike, it's easy to design a new dungeon. It's just a matter of making sure encounters are balanced stat wise. When you have to design a whole map which gives a more puzzle aspect to the equation, it takes a lot more time to hone things and make sure it's up to quality. This trouble becomes a lot higher if you add multiple difficulty options.

Golnei

GranBlue and iDOLM@STER both have pretty big support because of the financial backing of their sponsors and Nintendo has the assets to do something similar as well as reuse assets from past Fire Emblem games and Cipher.

There's definitely a lot of potential for reusing assets - the 3DS games' models, animations, maps and art gives them a solid base to build on which already includes the most popular characters in the series, and keeping any new content at that level of detail would also reduce the cost of asset creation further. If one of the central issues is the ability to reliably churn out content at a consistent rate, the buffer of existing material could help enormously.

I think the problem is the map content. For a game like PAD, Brave Frontier or Monster Strike, it's easy to design a new dungeon. It's just a matter of making sure encounters are balanced stat wise. When you have to design a whole map which gives a more puzzle aspect to the equation, it takes a lot more time to hone things and make sure it's up to quality. This trouble becomes a lot higher if you add multiple difficulty options.

It wouldn't be impossible to have it function within that model, but it'd probably have to go with a much looser approach to map design. The layouts themselves would probably benefit from the buffer of potentially being able to reuse assets from the 3DS games, as well as remaking maps from previous entries in the series; but it'd be very difficult to keep careful, puzzle-like design with the kind of unit distribution and stat growth scheme a game like that would have.

I don't think we'll see Nintendo get into the Gacha game for in game characters as a part of their Mobage model. At least not for a while. They seem to be pretty against pay models they consider exploitative.

I'm not sure that's a conviction they'll hold when it comes to mobile - their free-to-play experiments thus far have all been fairly standard in that regard; they'll definitely at least consider gacha systems while planning mobile games. If it were possible for them to use NFC on Apple devices, incorporating amiibo as an additional method of acquiring characters might also work in tandem with such a system as an alternative to the RNG.

yami4ct

I'm not sure that's a conviction they'll hold when it comes to mobile - their free-to-play experiments thus far have all been fairly standard in that regard; they'll definitely at least consider gacha systems while planning mobile games. If it were possible for them to use NFC on Apple devices, incorporating amiibo as an additional method of acquiring characters might also work in tandem with such a system as an alternative to the RNG.

I think we'll likely see them stick to aethstetic items in Gachas for the foreseeable future. They might eventually get to traditional gameplay gachas eventually, but I think it'll take a while.

Draxal

Did you make a new thread about this? I want to see all the salty people, but yeah a gacha game would be great even thought it was fake.

Draxal

Now we just need somebody to mock up some screenshots or fake magazine pictures.

Huh, sounds like account suicide to me XD

Yeah, probably would have been. I gotta retract that.

And Shun you're wrong Fire Emblem x Touken Ranbu is the dream game, gotta have complete control over the fujoshis.

L95

Oh, April fools, I was wondering why this thread is actually active.

Early April Fools, too. That's just cheating.

yami4ct

Sure glad that's a joke, because those character designs are awful. Chrom doesn't even look like Chrom aside from the blue hair.

CazTGG

I'd say i'm surprised by the creativity of these pranks, but frankly I remember an April Fools joke in 2012/13 that said Noctus was a woman and Versus XIII was coming out in October. This seems pretty tame, especially when considering Fire Emblem already had an anime in the late 90s.

So, uh, as gaf noob what's going to happen to the OT? Does it eventually get locked and Fates talk gets moved here or what?

it will only be locked when there's a new OT, which is usually after 20k posts. even when the OT is moved to community subforum (should be soon i guess?), people will still talk about it there and rarely move on to general community thread... then there'll be LTTP/RTTP thread etc.

Draxal

it will only be locked when there's a new OT, which is usually after 20k posts. even when the OT is moved to community subforum (should be soon i guess?), people will still talk about it there and rarely move on to general community thread... then there'll be LTTP/RTTP thread etc.

They'll keep it there until a month after the Euro release, staggered dates throw OT's off.

L95

I'd say i'm surprised by the creativity of these pranks, but frankly I remember an April Fools joke in 2012/13 that said Noctus was a woman and Versus XIII was coming out in October. This seems pretty tame, especially when considering Fire Emblem already had an anime in the late 90s.

I wouldn't find FE getting another anime strange at all.

Top Bottom