• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Draxal

Happy bday Gintoki

The Ema/Shade Cipher caravan discussion also posted a picture of the Chrom marker card.

http://fecipher.jp/special/col/column01_18.html

04.png

And cleaner pics of art as well.

10.png

Whew, it only took a decade to get (official) cards for Elibe.

Nice to see a modern take on Genealogy's artwork as well. Hopefully Kozaki pops in again with some more Jugdral art : P

Draxal

Putzing around with FE8 on on Ambassador Edition GBA.

Real talk time = GBA battle sprites are really overrated by the western fanbase.

Give me the Snes sprites, or better yet Shining Force 2 battle scenes any day of the week. I also like the Tellius saga's better (the style was great, just wish they had way more polish).

I really don't like the monster stuff either.

Real talk time = GBA battle sprites are really overrated by the western fanbase.

Give me the Snes sprites, or better yet Shining Force 2 battle scenes any day of the week. I also like the Tellius saga's better (the style was great, just wish they had way more polish).

Booooooooooooo

I will remain forever sad that FE probably peaked visually on the GBA, the SNES sprites are so much less fun!

CazTGG

The Tellius titles are anything but stylish. The movements look far more simplistic and lack the fluid animation that the GBA entries possessed, not to mention being ugly as all heck on the same systems that gave us Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC) and Super Mario Galaxy (Wii). Whatever else can be said about the less flashy animation for criticals in Awakening and Fates, it's a heck of a lot easier on the eyes. The SNES games had some neat consecutive animations for when skills like Astra activate but the lack of attention to facial features is a sore spot.

Also, how can you not love this?
latest

Xbro

Is the moral of Fates' story not to trust anyone? The amount of blatant traps Corrin falls in to puts Chrom's
"This is very obviously a trap but we are going into it anyway"
to shame.

CazTGG

Is the moral of Fates' story not to trust anyone? The amount of blatant traps Corrin falls in to puts Chrom's
"This is very obviously a trap but we are going into it anyway"
to shame.

I'm currently in the middle of my review for Revelation, but I have a short bit where I talk about what exactly Fates seems to be trying to do:
What Fates is trying to do across all three of its paths, bucking the status quo and deconstruct the series design philosophy, is intriguing on the surface, but a quick glance underneath serves to highlight how bad a shape the gears, the writing across all three of Fates' games, happens to be rather than bring to light any potential flaws in the previous Fire Emblem games. One of the prevalent themes throughout all of Fates is that of trust. Specifically, the player's tendency to place their faith in absolute strangers to do the right thing with little regard for any treachery or attempt by them to take their life. A commentary on the series tendency for the main character to accept so many of the enemy into their ranks, many of whom wear the same armor as the enemy while in said ranks, who may have potentially dubious definitions on alliance or have the intent of assassinating them if they look away at the wrong moment? That's an intriguing, dare I say, inspired concept! However, each path, either by telegraphing who the traitor will be to the point where a newborn with no knowledge of story structure or tropes could figure out who it's meant to be or making said treachery inconsequential, fails to deliver on that prospect...

L95

For some reason, this conversation about shady enemy units joining you reminds me of one character in Tearring saga that joins you earlygame and betrays you lategame. Was pretty cool to actually have that happen.

Lynx_7

Chapter 2 of Geneology made my Finn a beast. Brave Lance (thanks, Quan) + Shield Ring + item that boosts exp made him go from level 11 to 20 really fast. He's up there with Sigurd right now, possibly even better at killing stuff, so way to go horse Marth dude. Meanwhile Alec still can't kill for shit and Noish is just as useless as ever, so at least one of the non-promoted mounted units from the Prologue paid off (Lex is alright). Brave Lance (Brave Weapons in general I'm assuming) seems kinda broken in this game, very high durability and it's not even expensive to fix. Can't wait to see just how broken the fabled holy weapons I've heard of are. Balance really doesn't seem to be this game's strongest point. lol

I both like and dislike how long it takes to get your units where they need to be. It gives a nice sense of scale and the "calm before the storm" when you're moving your units and the enemy is moving theirs before the inevitable clash is actually kinda cool. Having to rush back to the castle to defend it (or using Warp/Return Ring I guess) also adds a nice layer of urgency.
Green haired woman's flying squadron are dumb as bricks though, I had Lewyn get pretty close to them and they just went off on him. You know, the one they were supposed to be saving. He killed all but one of them before recruiting the chick he was supposed to. Oops.
On the other hand, it takes too long to get where you're supposed to be sometimes and non-mounted units are at a reaaaally big disadvantage. I know people have a hard-on for horses regardless of the game, but this is legit the only FE where I feel like your mounted units are just leagues and bounds above everyone else, they have absolutely no disadvantages, it's ridiculous. I have all these cool units like Ayra and Holyn and I barely get to use them because they just can't keep up with the rest of the team. This game would have really benefited from a shelter/rescue mechanic, even if that still doesn't make up for the disadvantage of not being able to move after attacking. Oh, and also, an option to skip enemy turn would do wonders in this game.

Still, regardless of the flaws, this is a great game and I can definetely see why some consider it the best in the franchise. As far as world-building goes I'd definetely say it is. Shame I barely have any time to play it and chapters take a loooong time to finish so I really gotta commit whenever I pick it up.

Unrelated question: Is Mystery of the Emblem still worth playing or are Shadow Dragon and New Mystery just better on all fronts? (besides self-insert bs on the latter)

Xbro

Chapter 2 of Geneology made my Finn a beast. Brave Lance (thanks, Quan) + Shield Ring + item that boosts exp made him go from level 11 to 20 really fast. He's up there with Sigurd right now, possibly even better at killing stuff, so way to go horse Marth dude. Meanwhile Alec still can't kill for shit and Noish is just as useless as ever, so at least one of the non-promoted mounted units from the Prologue paid off (Lex is alright). Brave Lance (Brave Weapons in general I'm assuming) seems kinda broken in this game, very high durability and it's not even expensive to fix. Can't wait to see just how broken the fabled holy weapons I've heard of are. Balance really doesn't seem to be this game's strongest point. lol

I both like and dislike how long it takes to get your units where they need to be. It gives a nice sense of scale and the "calm before the storm" when you're moving your units and the enemy is moving theirs before the inevitable clash is actually kinda cool. Having to rush back to the castle to defend it (or using Warp/Return Ring I guess) also adds a nice layer of urgency.
Green haired woman's flying squadron are dumb as bricks though, I had Lewyn get pretty close to them and they just went off on him. You know, the one they were supposed to be saving. He killed all but one of them before recruiting the chick he was supposed to. Oops.
On the other hand, it takes too long to get where you're supposed to be sometimes and non-mounted units are at a reaaaally big disadvantage. I know people have a hard-on for horses regardless of the game, but this is legit the only FE where I feel like your mounted units are just leagues and bounds above everyone else, they have absolutely no disadvantages, it's ridiculous. I have all these cool units like Ayra and Holyn and I barely get to use them because they just can't keep up with the rest of the team. This game would have really benefited from a shelter/rescue mechanic, even if that still doesn't make up for the disadvantage of not being able to move after attacking. Oh, and also, an option to skip enemy turn would do wonders in this game.

Still, regardless of the flaws, this is a great game and I can definetely see why some consider it the best in the franchise. As far as world-building goes I'd definetely say it is. Shame I barely have any time to play it and chapters take a loooong time to finish so I really gotta commit whenever I pick it up.

Unrelated question: Is Mystery of the Emblem still worth playing or are Shadow Dragon and New Mystery just better on all fronts? (besides self-insert bs on the latter)
It's good that your Finn is a beast. Now marry him to Raquesis. There's a small scene in chapter one that can net Lex a Brave Axe, I'm assuming you missed it, because it's very easy to miss.

In chapter 3 killing one of the bosses gets you a Leg ring which can give a non-mounted unit the same movement as a mounted unit. I'd recommend giving that to Ethylin. There's also a Knight's Band(or something of the sort) that Raquesis gets that lets her move after attacking.

I'm actually compiling a list of tips as I go along if you're interested in what I have so far.

Also, chapter 3 is where you get your first Holy Weapons. These weapons are not only strong on their own, but they significantly boost your stats.

Just make sure you talk to everyone who can be talked to and you should be able to get all of them.

Lynx_7

It's good that your Finn is a beast. Now marry him to Raquesis. There's a small scene in chapter one that can net Lex a Brave Axe, I'm assuming you missed it, because it's very easy to miss.

In chapter 3 killing one of the bosses gets you a Leg ring which can give a non-mounted unit the same movement as a mounted unit. I'd recommend giving that to Ethylin. There's also a Knight's Band(or something of the sort) that Raquesis gets that lets her move after attacking.

I'm actually compiling a list of tips as I go along if you're interested in what I have so far.

Also, chapter 3 is where you get your first Holy Weapons. These weapons are not only strong on their own, but they significantly boost your stats.

Just make sure you talk to everyone who can be talked to and you should be able to get all of them.

Yeah, I read about that earlier today. I was like "oh, a Brave Axe for Lex? Sweet, wonder when he gets it" and then I discovered I was apparently supposed to
have him stand on a random location in chapter 1 to trigger the event
. What.

I always try to pay attention to context clues in the story and on wheter or not one of my units has the option to talk to somebody so at least the holy weapons shouldn't be a problem.

Xbro

The four you get in the first generation are the Gae Bolg, Yewfelle, Forseti and Tyfring. I think you get like three more in the second generation. Not sure if there's more, it's been a while.

I wish I'd used Finn more in Genealogy. I was kind of whatever on him at first ("oh okay it's another shitty cavalier whatevs I have Sigurd, Cuan, and Lex"), was mildly interested when he got the Brave Lance but ignored him, then was impressed at how many dudes he killed when he returned in chapter 7.

Then I played Thracia and got to see him as the gigantic badass he really is. I think only Sety had a bigger jump in how much I liked the character after playing Thracia.

Xbro

I think Leif had the biggest jump for me. I thought he was alright in Genealogy, but then boom, maxed stats in Thracia.

PK Gaming

Fire Emblem 6: Binding Blade

Finally got around to playing this again. This time, I aimed to play more efficiently and tried to avoid excessive turtling because I ain't about that life anymore.

I'll be going over what FE6 gets right, what it gets wrong, and Rutger.

1) The tone

There is nothing special about FE6's tone in and of itself, but when FE7 is taken into account, it becomes fantastic. FE7 is your classic fantasy tale about a hero and his friends triumphing over evil, no matter what the odds. FE6 is similar, but with a crueler twist. The heroes you've followed from the previous game have succumbed to various circumstances. Some are sick. Some are dead. Some have mysteriously vanished, some don't exist and so on. The world of Elibe feels a lot harsher than it used to, and it's better for it. There's this inherit sadness when playing FE6 that really adds to the experience. "Why did this have to happen to Hector and Eliwood? Where's Lyn? What happened to Pent and Louise?" This is even (unintentionally) reflected in the gameplay. FE6 (on hard) is significantly more difficult and restrictive than FE7. Your army is largely comprised of incompetent units inexperienced youth or old people who are tasked with fighting off against enemies with ludicrous stats the mighty bern empire. Even the enemy counterattack theme sounds imposing and anxiety inducing. It's rare for a sequel and a prequel to flow so well in both directions, but FE6 is incredibly good about this.

2) Roy

Roy is a...divisive character, but if i'm being honest, he gets more way hate than he deserves. Unlike many of the other FE lords, Roy is an expert tactician. While other lords lead their army, Roy is explicitly shown devising strategies. He's smart enough to make important decisions without being told to do so, can trick his adversaries all the while being ridiculously young at that. Unfortunately, Roy is very bland. The wiki describes him as such

"Roy is an upstanding, thoughtful, and idealistic young man who repeatedly shows a desire to help and support others"

Which more or less describes nearly every single FE lord (and JRPG protagonist for that matter). There is nothing about Roy that makes him stand out. Eliwood was similarly bland, but at least his relationship with his father and Hector made me feel something towards him. I don't really feel anything with Roy. Even his supports are incredibly dry (with the exception of Lilina's support with Cecilia, which reveals a surprisingly sad aspect of Roy's character) But the most damning thing about Roy is that the game barely references his age. Sure, it's brought up a few times but it just feels like lip service. Roy doesn't feel like a kid with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He feels like another FE lord. I think if FE6 were to be remade, they should really try to make this point more prominent because I think it's the key to making Roy a compelling character. Gameplay wise, he suffers from some obviously bad decisions. The lord class is incredibly underwhelming due to its sword lock, and Roy's got awful bases as well. He's pretty much contributing for 4-5 chapters tops while waiting on the sidelines until he promotes. I personally think the late promotion concept was extremely flawed, since it's predicated on the assumption that the promoted Lord class ends up being an asskicker (they usually don't) and i'm glad they got rid of it. Still, Roy has his appeal as a unit due to seizing (more on that later)

3) Hard Mode

Oh boy. I used to think this mode was complete garbage, but now I realize that it does have its appeal. I cheesed my way through it the first time by hard turtling, but it's so much more challenging when you move at a faster pace. You have to get pretty creative if you want to clear it at a reasonable time, since the majority of your team is complete garbage. There's almost a unity to your team, since everyone has to contribute (even if it's just a little). Even Roy serves a purpose, as your King, he can seize and end maps instantly with the right strategy. Unfortunately, as the game progresses it encourages low manning since it's pretty much impossible for your lesser units to contribute. The devs tried their hardest to make the enemies super powerful, but didn't compensate by making the playable characters better. Most of them were pretty underwhelming even on Normal (Bors is an armor knight but he starts out in a map filled with axe users...?), but it's borderline ridiculous just how outclassed they are on Hard. You're forced rely on characters like Marcus, Rutger, Shin and Milady, the later 3 of were originally (surprise, surprise) enemy units. Still, I definitely underrated Hard Mode. It has its faults, but it's completely unique from the other Hard Modes found in other FE games and definitely appealing in its own way.

4) Rutger

Is a God, best Myrmidon, best guy, best design, best personality, best "makes the class look godlike", etc

NeonZ

He feels like another FE lord. I think if FE6 were to be remade, they should really try to make this point more prominent because I think it's the key to making Roy a compelling character.

The Awakening DLC out of nowhere threw to him a personal interest in traveling and visiting new locations, using the fact that he studied in Ostia, rather than his own kingdom, as an excuse. It's something pretty unique and could work in a FE campaign, considering how usually the army is traveling around many different kingdoms, although it has little basis in FE6 itself.

Draxal

Good ole 33% crit bonus swordmaster.

FE6 is such an obvious intentional homage to 1/3 book 1, but I like that it has it own twists.

The one thing I like about 7 compared to 6, is that they seemed to age the cast up a bit more (Eliwood looks alot older than Roy).

alvis.exe

Good ole 33% crit bonus swordmaster.

FE6 is such an obvious intentional homage to 1/3 book 1, but I like that it has it own twists.

The one thing I like about 7 compared to 6, is that they seemed to age the cast up a bit more (Eliwood looks alot older than Roy).

I always forget that Eliwood and Hector are supposed to be 17. They look older than that IMO, especially Hector lol. Hell isn't Lyn supposed to be 15 in the Japanese version? She does not look 15 haha.

On the other hand, I can kind of see Roy being 15.

PK Gaming

The Awakening DLC out of nowhere threw to him a personal interest in traveling and visiting new locations, using the fact that he studied in Ostia, rather than his own kingdom, as an excuse. It's something pretty unique and could work in a FE campaign, considering how usually the army is traveling around many different kingdoms, although it has little basis in FE6 itself.

That's a good angle. Roy seems bookish in general, so they could lean on that and maybe
delve deeper into the "not being able to use magic" aspect of his character.

Sölf

I always forget that Eliwood and Hector are supposed to be 17. They look older than that IMO, especially Hector lol. Hell isn't Lyn supposed to be 15 in the Japanese version? She does not look 15 haha.

On the other hand, I can kind of see Roy being 15.

Wait, what? They are supposed to be this young? They all look like they are in their mid twenties.

Draxal

Sölf;205150593 said:
Wait, what? They are supposed to be this young? They all look like they are in their mid twenties.

I think they are 17 in Japan 18-19 in the States (lyn's 15 initially but 16 during the main story iirc).

Some artwork, found on SF.

Bastian

Cecilia

Narcian

Dieck

Oboro

Elincia

Ike

Ike's Head.

Soren

Figured some of you might use them for an avatar.

PK Gaming

klWrj3u.png

Rutger chilling with a defense stat that he is statistically likely to never reach, even at level 20/20

I didn't savestate abuse or feed him draco shields. I actually got that lucky. lol

Top Bottom