• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Katsuragi

It is kinda weird how Nintendo doesn't seem to be capitalizing on FE's newfound popularity by releasing PoR/RD on VC.
How is it weird? There are no GameCube games on Wii U Virtual Console. It's not a supported platform. You could make the case for Radiant Dawn, but I guess it being a sequel to Path of Radiance makes it a hard sell. I'm sure both games will pop up on NX.

Just finished chapter 10

EDIT: this song is too good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5ylyhTgUY

Really shows how tragic the characters are in this game, doesn't it?

I'm multi-tasking between that and Sacred Stones. I need video footage for that game.

So I'm just catching up with the series, currently at chapter 12 of Awakening, but coming from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (the only two FE games I've beaten), I find myself not enjoying a couple of things about Awakening.

The Tellius games were really well made. Even the class balance feels really good in this game. The 3D models look fine, but the animation is a little stiff. It's more so in POR. In RD, they almost seems over animated. Only thing stiff are the capes on the mages. You know what's the biggest downgrade visually besides what you said?

JPuIfUb.png

Look at that water. It's simple by modern standards, but it's still such a pretty looking effect. The 3DS is capable of it, but why didn't they do it? It's such a shame.

I'm really liking FFT but I find the fact that you have to commit to your Move before actually being able to see the battle forecast a really annoying design choice, specially considering the damage formula in that game seems to be obscure as hell, which really hurts my ability to plan things out in advance. Devil Survivor is better in this regard since battles are just standard SMT fare, which I'm very comfortable with at this point.
I've been enjoying Genealogy the most out of the three, since I personally feel like it has the better balance between engaging story and gameplay. It's also the one I have the least time to put into, unfortunately. I'm considering trying out an Android SNES emulator and praying to god the saves are compatible, that would speed things up considerably.

Also, while I do like isometric SRPGs, and they seem to be the more popular kind from what I can see, I wish there were more Fire Emblem inspired games out there. I find the top-down perspective, simplified approach to battles and tighter focus on map and mission design to offer more interesting strategies and just more engaging gameplay scenarios. If anyone got any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles quite a bit as a fan of Fire Emblem-style SRPGs. I feel like VC also had some influence on Awakening.

Lynx_7

How is it weird? There are no GameCube games on Wii U Virtual Console. It's not a supported platform. You could make the case for Radiant Dawn, but I guess it being a sequel to Path of Radiance makes it a hard sell. I'm sure both games will pop up on NX.
Right, sometimes I forget about Nintendo's lack of competence in regards to their GC catalogue :p
Not releasing RD on the grounds of it being a sequel is still a weak excuse though, as I'm willing to bet a lot of people would still like to buy it regardless of PoR being unavailable. It certainly beats paying for an overpriced used copy and at the very least Nintendo wouldn't be losing any money.

Xbro

Right, sometimes I forget about Nintendo's lack of competence in regards to their GC catalogue :p
Not releasing RD on the grounds of it being a sequel is still a weak excuse though, as I'm willing to bet a lot of people would still like to buy it regardless of PoR being unavailable. It certainly beats paying for an overpriced used copy and at the very least Nintendo wouldn't be losing any money.

There's a lot of content that transfers over from PoR to RD. It's likely they are waiting for a chance to get both on the same system.

There's a lot of content that transfers over from PoR to RD. It's likely they are waiting for a chance to get both on the same system.

"a lot"? not really, transfers and the Ike/Soren endgame convo are basically it

although yeah chances are they'd show up together rather than separately

Xbro

"a lot"? not really, transfers and the Ike/Soren endgame convo are basically it

although yeah chances are they'd show up together rather than separately
That convo was so good tho.

I was mostly referring to the Jill support stuff, the character strength etc. It's not necessary for playing the game, but it would be a shame if it wasn't an option.

The real reason it's not available is because IS doesn't want people to play the only games that are a gameplay downgrade from Awakening mirite?

This opinion might change for RD if HM is an incredible revelation but PoR is definitely the worst game (post FE3) for actually playing the game. The story *is* good though.

Xbro

The real reason it's not available is because IS doesn't want people to play the only games that are a gameplay downgrade from Awakening mirite?

This opinion might change for RD if HM is an incredible revelation but PoR is definitely the worst game (post FE3) for actually playing the game. The story *is* good though.

EDIT: May have misunderstood what you said.

CazTGG

JPuIfUb.png

Look at that water. It's simple by modern standards, but it's still such a pretty looking effect. The 3DS is capable of it, but why didn't they do it? It's such a shame.

That looks more like liquid mercury than water. The Tellius games are many things but pretty is not one of them. Mind, I find Radiant Dawn to be terrible from both a story and gameplay perspective (the butchering of the support system, Heather, the often lackluster map design that wastes some interesting design choices like higher/lower terrain advantages/disadvantages, Heather, the awful use of fog of war, a literal deus ex machina [medallion?] etc.) but I seem to be in the minority on disliking that game while liking Shadow Dragon.

Watching dondon's 0% growths playthrough of Shadow Dragon was pretty eye-opening to see how good the design of it is. It's not my favorite but I can respect it a lot.

Radiant Dawn otoh has some pretty cool stuff like ledges but also has so many boring routfests I thought I was playing Awakening *rimshot*.

PK Gaming

The Heirs of Fate plot set up is actually good?

Like, it's incredibly contrived but the reveal that
they're all from seperate worlds and Shigure is from a doomed timeline was p. great.

Sölf;206042629 said:
The hell.

Liking Shadow Dragon is whatever, the funny part is of the two biggest Shadow Dragon defenders I can think of, one of them likes Micaiah as a character and the other thinks FE7 brings absolutely nothing to the table gameplay wise.

PK Gaming

FE "It was a good idea to give enemies killer weapons" 6

I ain't even mad at this point. I just want to finish off FE6 because it drops off after Murdock's chapter.

Liking Shadow Dragon is whatever, the funny part is of the two biggest Shadow Dragon defenders I can think of, one of them likes Micaiah as a character and the other thinks FE7 brings absolutely nothing to the table gameplay wise.

Disgusting.

Shadow Dragon is fine. Just disappointing

but i don't really like shadow dragon though

Lynx_7

Shadow Dragon was actually my first Fire Emblem game and I liked it quite a lot back then but never got to finish it, similarly to 7 which was my second. Maybe now that I have more experience under my belt I'll think less of it and realise why people look down on it whenever I inevitably revisit Shadow Dragon in order to beat it. Until then, I think it's a fine game.

Since no one answered last time I might as well ask it again while we're on the subject: is Mystery of the Emblem still worth playing or are the DS remakes superior on all fronts,thus effectively replacing it as the definitive way to experience Marth's saga?

Shadow Dragon was actually my first Fire Emblem game and I liked it quite a lot back then but never got to finish it, similarly to 7 which was my second. Maybe now that I have more experience under my belt I'll think less of it and realise why people look down on it whenever I inevitably revisit Shadow Dragon in order to beat it. Until then, I think it's a fine game.

Since no one answered last time I might as well ask it again while we're on the subject: is Mystery of the Emblem still worth playing or are the DS remakes superior on all fronts,thus effectively replacing it as the definitive way to experience Marth's saga?

The DS remake is what you want. Its a pretty damn good game in my opinion

New Mystery is better in basically everything...except Kris.

Wat did FE7 bring to the table gameplay wise? I'm not even joking, I'm drawing a huge blank.

New Mystery is better in basically everything...except Kris.

Kris, Robin, and Corrin are hands down THE WORST characters in Fire Emblem.

Draxal

Robin and Corrin (although Corrin is pretty bad) aren't the worst characters in their own games.

Nowi and Soleil easily win those spots for me

FE7 did bring a dedicated prologue (6 had one but 7's was much more substantial). But the two gba games were pretty much enhancements over FE6, and they really didn't try to shake things up too much.

One thing I did like about Por -> RD is how they really tried to shake things up.

CSX

Wat did FE7 bring to the table gameplay wise? I'm not even joking, I'm drawing a huge blank.

I thought the GBA games were criticized in Japan for not bringing anything new to the table and actually simplifying the gameplay too much. It was still liked but that was the main criticism from the lifelong fans

7 added weather (RIP), reintroduced diverse victory conditions (and also introduced a couple, Rout and Survive) and introduced dancer rings.

That said, I don't think FE6 introduced anything either and I appreciate both games for just being really strong takes on Thracia style gameplay. I think 5-7 is the best FE ever got, and probably ever will get (unless 12 is as good as I hear and I'm good enough to appreciate it).

PK Gaming

Simplicity can be a great thing and FE6 & 7 excel at it

7 also made characters relevant past their join chapter which is something most FEs rarely do

Draxal

7 added weather (RIP), reintroduced diverse victory conditions (and also introduced a couple, Rout and Survive) and introduced dancer rings.

That said, I don't think FE6 introduced anything either and I appreciate both games for just being really strong takes on Thracia style gameplay. I think 5-7 is the best FE ever got, and probably ever will get (unless 12 is as good as I hear and I'm good enough to appreciate it).

Fe6 introduced the modern support system.

It's kinda weird to me that you're not including 8 in that.

Also, kinda forgot FE7 introduced the avatar to the series.

CkejVHcUkAAQXzf.png

CazTGG

Sölf;206042629 said:
The hell.

I can understand people being disappointed in the game due to it being very simplistic (and, frankly, very ugly looking) in terms of mechanics and map design as well as lacking features in later games like visible supports, however the localization team did a fantastic job with what they had to work with (the scene where Marth realizes there are innocents on both sides is one of the most striking moments in series history) and while it is simplistic compared to Radiant Dawn when it comes to mission variety, it works a whole lot better than that cold mess on the whole.

Also: The soundtrack is superb.

Draxal

So what Fire Emblem announcements are we expecting at E3?

I'm expecting announcements for the Scrambles and that it.

CazTGG

More Fates DLC/release dates for DLC is all I imagine we'll see, if at all. I think it's too early to expect any details for the Fire Emblem mobile title and while I do think it may be possible, i'm doubtful we'll see a "Fire Emblem Awakening GOTY Edition" with all the DLC included in it.

Top Bottom