• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Draxal

CkBehVNUoAAH6JT.png

L95

Yeah, I got my Marmar in the mail too. Hmm, these "Super Posaeble" Nendos are kinda a pain to get together without them falling apart, though I may just need more practice.

Sölf

I don't know what I did, but it seems Anna suddenly hates me. I have no other explanation for my Conquest Chapter 22 which took over 4 hours and Leo's kid recruitment which also took 2-3 hours. God. All those enemy crits. Please someone do something! ;__;

Dark_castle

So I'm just catching up with the series, currently at chapter 12 of Awakening, but coming from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (the only two FE games I've beaten), I find myself not enjoying a couple of things about Awakening.

1) Mission variety, or rather the lack thereof, and I heard it isn't going to get much better. Rout, rout, rout.

2) Art style is meh, and while it makes for a good gameplay mechanics, I find the dialogue and the marriage aspects kinda shallow and pandering.

3) May not be a popular opinion, but I also dislike that the graphics went from 3D to sprites. I know many people don't like the 3D graphics in the Tellius FE, but I liked them. Everyone looks distinct in the field, not just during battle scenes, whereas now it's all small, generic looking sprites. I know they had to do that since characters can change classes and it would be too difficult to make unique models for all characters in different classes, but damn.

4) Most importantly, infinite exp/grinding. I much, much prefer the way Tellius FE did things with bonus exp, while not only sometimes add challenge or new ways to beat the maps, but also lets you level up characters that are lacking behind. At the same time, no grinding is possible, except for very brief opportunities to abuse boss/healing. Now in Awakening, it's like you're almost expected to grind in random skirmishes, paralogues, reeking box challenges, dlc. I know people are going to tell me, well you could just ignore them and don't grind. Sure I could, but I find it hard to ignore the opportunities when they're quickly available to make my characters stronger.

All that said, I'm buying Fates Conquest as I heard about the no grinding thing (outside of dlc), and some decent variety in mission designs. I love defend/survive types, and knowing there is a Elincia's Gambit map as dlc solidified my purchase of it. But otherwise, I'm going backwards to check out the older FE instalments.

NeonZ

So I'm just catching up with the series, currently at chapter 12 of Awakening, but coming from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (the only two FE games I've beaten), I find myself not enjoying a couple of things about Awakening.

1) Mission variety, or rather the lack thereof, and I heard it isn't going to get much better. Rout, rout, rout.

The later paralogues are better at least, since you need to do specific stuff to recruit the characters in each one, and they sometimes have map gimmicks, but the main game's map design actually gets worse.

I know they had to do that since characters can change classes and it would be too difficult to make unique models for all characters in different classes, but damn.
They could just use the same thing they do with battle models. Keep the head, change the body. Still, in Awakening most characters do have unique map sprites at least for their main classes. Besides most people not liking Tellius' 3d map models, this is a 3ds game, so they'd look even worse. Fates keeps the map sprites, but uses the same structure that's used for the battle models, so every sprite has a personalized head.

4) Most importantly, infinite exp/grinding. I much, much prefer the way Tellius FE did things with bonus exp, while not only sometimes add challenge or new ways to beat the maps, but also lets you level up characters that are lacking behind. At the same time, no grinding is possible, except for very brief opportunities to abuse boss/healing. Now in Awakening, it's like you're almost expected to grind in random skirmishes, paralogues, reeking box challenges, dlc. I know people are going to tell me, well you could just ignore them and don't grind. Sure I could, but I find it hard to ignore the opportunities when they're quickly available to make my characters stronger.

Paralogues aren't grinding in the first place...

Sölf;205645049 said:
I don't know what I did, but it seems Anna suddenly hates me. I have no other explanation for my Conquest Chapter 22 which took over 4 hours and Leo's kid recruitment which also took 2-3 hours. God. All those enemy crits. Please someone do something! ;__;

You're obviously doing something wrong if Xander is getting doubled in chapter 23 :p

Sölf;205704153 said:
39 HP at level 12 don't help... xD

That's god awful HP, but even then Takumi has 28 speed, so Xander only needs 24 to avoid getting doubled (Defender+Charlotte S support+speed tonic is 23 even if he gained 0 points of speed).

Renewed

#FE cast. Clockwise from top left: Itsuki, Tsubasa, Toma, Kiria, Yashiro, Mamori and Eleonora.

Also this just reminded me to cancel my Fortissimo edition. Ain't got the dough to pony up.

jnWake

Chrom is great. I got a lot of respect for him after playing Awakening.

The jokes in the Robin/Lucina reveal trailer are still incredible though.

Draxal

Viridi was spot on about him in the secret convo though.

Edit. As far as I am concerned the only ship that matters in Fates is femcorrin with malecorrin.

CkPGjsJVAAE2Im9.png

Lilina forblazing it up.

NeonZ

Usually Sugita is able to give tons of personality to his characters, but Chrom is just forgettable somehow. They wanted to make a new Ike, but the only way they found to differentiate him from the original was to tone down his characteristics. So, he's usually outgoing and informal, but not as much as Ike and can get formal when needed, since he's a noble. At the same time he's supposed to be the no nonsense leader, but not that much so he often becomes a joke in Awakening's conversations themselves. And then he gets overshadowed in the climax of the story too. He ends up just in this awkward middle point to me.

He usually still was Awakening's number 1 male character in popularity polls though (unlike male Corrin), so his treatment is kind of surprising.

Draxal

Usually Sugita is able to give tons of personality to his characters, but Chrom is just forgettable somehow. They wanted to make a new Ike, but the only way they found to differentiate him from the original was to tone down his characteristics. So, he's usually outgoing and informal, but not as much as Ike and can get formal when needed, since he's a noble. At the same time he's supposed to be the no nonsense leader, but not that much so he often becomes a joke in Awakening's conversations themselves. And then he gets overshadowed in the climax of the story too. He ends up just in this awkward middle point to me.

He usually still was Awakening's number 1 male character in popularity polls though (unlike male Corrin), so his treatment is kind of surprising.

Eh, I think Chrom's pretty memorable and carried by his voice acting in both Japan and the states.

It is just that Lucina has a really classic design (in the era of stripper emblem) that works incredibly well and also is carried by strong voice acting.

edit. As for male corrin ... he doesn't exist in a world where fem corrin exists, the top 4 vote males are all husbando characters so that leads me to believe that the poll was driven by female players.

Eh, I think Chrom's pretty memorable and carried by his voice acting in both Japan and the states.

It is just that Lucina has a really classic design (in the era of stripper emblem) that works incredibly well and also is carried by strong voice acting.

edit. As for male corrin ... he doesn't exist in a world where fem corrin exists, the top 4 vote males are all husbando characters so that leads me to believe that the poll was driven by female players.

That's a pretty weak excuse when male Robin also did better than 5th back in Awakening.

Draxal

That's a pretty weak excuse when male Robin also did better than 5th back in Awakening.

Female avatars had more choices in this game compared to Awakening, pretty much everybody choose Chrom for one of two reasons (two kids/didn't like anybody else).

Only take away I get from this is with how much they pushed Azura, she was nowhere near as popular Chrom (and Shigure is lol compared to Lucina).

Just finished chapter 10

EDIT: this song is too good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5ylyhTgUY
On the one hand it's really touching, but while this might have just been the translation I thought it was really weird how Sigurd's conversation with Seliph was basically "don't get too cocky yet kid", I found it kind of jarring. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Also man that music is so good. Juggdral come back pls

Draxal

On the one hand it's really touching, but while this might have just been the translation I thought it was really weird how Sigurd's conversation with Seliph was basically "don't get too cocky yet kid", I found it kind of jarring. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Go listen to the anniv concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_5g_hEePjc

SO GOOD, has the best soundtrack in the series.

Xbro

I always thought it was a way of him saying that the victory wasn't his own and there were other factors at play. The getting to know the people's suffering was a lot like Leif's conversation with August in Thracia.

Though the new translation is more direct in that.

Lynx_7

Man, Fates (mostly Conquest tbh) really threw me into a SRPG ride. Got in the mood after finishing Conquest/Birthright and now I have Genealogy, Devil Survivor and Final Fantasy Tactics playthroughs going on at the same time, Sacred Stones on the backburner just waiting for me to finish Genealogy (and then Revelations right after that I guess), and Tactics Ogre for whenever DeSu or FFT are done. I'm also curious about TearRing Saga and may or may not give it priority over Sacred Stones and/or Revelations, even though the translation is apparently iffy.

I'm really liking FFT but I find the fact that you have to commit to your Move before actually being able to see the battle forecast a really annoying design choice, specially considering the damage formula in that game seems to be obscure as hell, which really hurts my ability to plan things out in advance. Devil Survivor is better in this regard since battles are just standard SMT fare, which I'm very comfortable with at this point.
I've been enjoying Genealogy the most out of the three, since I personally feel like it has the better balance between engaging story and gameplay. It's also the one I have the least time to put into, unfortunately. I'm considering trying out an Android SNES emulator and praying to god the saves are compatible, that would speed things up considerably.

Also, while I do like isometric SRPGs, and they seem to be the more popular kind from what I can see, I wish there were more Fire Emblem inspired games out there. I find the top-down perspective, simplified approach to battles and tighter focus on map and mission design to offer more interesting strategies and just more engaging gameplay scenarios. If anyone got any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Draxal

You could also add Langrisser (Warsong) and Shining Force to the list of games to try. FFT inspired alot of clones, but there are some others with the top down view.

Lynx_7

It is kinda weird how Nintendo doesn't seem to be capitalizing on FE's newfound popularity by releasing PoR/RD on VC. Specially considering how popular Ike is now and how proportionately unpopular his games were back then lol
though I guess PoR sold decently outside of Japan?
PoR would really benefit from not costing a fortune.

You could also add Langrisser (Warsong) and Shining Force to the list of games to try. FFT inspired alot of clones, but there are some others with the top down view.

Oh yeah, Langrisser. I read about it a long time ago and then completely forgot. Definitely adding that to the list.

I think I'll also check out the two Super Robot Wars we got on GBA. Shame we didn't get the other games nor any fanslations of any kind.Being a Gundam/Eva/Mecha fan in the west is suffering.

Top Bottom