• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

CazTGG

NX handheld of course.

It's called GPD XD. It's a handheld android tablet by a Chinese manufacturer built into a 3DS XL shell. It has a 5 inch screen with 1280 x 720 res. Comes with a quad core CPU and a pretty decent GPU. benchmarked Epic Citadel at Ultra with 56 fps. Tons of emulators for classic games on the go.

mAQPZ6O.jpg

JRw33uK.jpg

AVFJO6R.jpg

N7MXGF0.jpg

But does it play the Fire Emblem GameBoy bootleg?

I thought so.

Lucia looks more tan in this art. Not that I'm complaining.

Is the Eliwood card done by the original artist for FE7? Looks very close to it.

Draxal

Sachiko Wada the Sacred Stones Artist, who is probably the most adaptable of all the Cipher artists they have.

Eiji Kaneda (6/7's artist) has done some cipher art, but they've all been Roy.

68.jpg
B01-005.png
Roy1.png

Sachiko Wada also did the portrait design (and possibly in-game artwork) for Blazing Sword, so that's why the Eliwood card art looks familiar.

I just realised Eiji Kaneda isn't credited for Blazing Sword's artwork, unless I typo'd or went past him. Actually, I always wondered if he did Elibe's official artwork or not.

Gotta dig out the FE6/7 Character Book for clues...

Draxal

Next Chrom is going to be from Kozaki. It's the exalt Chrom with Fred art in the background.

Wada is Inigo's #1 fangirl (or not, she just gets assigned him as her awakening character).

Sachiko Wada also did the portrait design (and possibly in-game artwork) for Blazing Sword, so that's why the Eliwood card art looks familiar.

I just realised Eiji Kaneda isn't credited for Blazing Sword's artwork, unless I typo'd or went past him. Actually, I always wondered if he did Elibe's official artwork or not.

Gotta dig out the FE6/7 Character Book for clues...

TBH, all the artists stuff is confusing, as the PoR/RD/Shadow Dragon/NMOE is just as confusing. You can explain the shadow dragon art situation for the fifth time to me, and I'll forget in 10 minutes.

Next Chrom is going to be from Kozaki. It's the exalt Chrom with Fred art in the background.

Wada is Inigo's #1 fangirl (or not, she just gets assigned him as her awakening character).

TBH, all the artists stuff is confusing, as the PoR/RD/Shadow Dragon/NMOE is just as confusing. You can explain the shadow dragon art situation for the fifth time to me, and I'll forget in 10 minutes.

You can make fun of the English national team next time instead :p

edit: oh my the bottom half is stacked lol

I love the alternate arts, but poor collectors. They have to get the pegasus sisters twice and they need at least 3 boxes (or extra dosh) for the R+ panorama.

Draxal

I love the alternate arts, but poor collectors. They have to get the pegasus sisters twice and they need at least 3 boxes (or extra dosh) for the R+ panorama.

R+ cards are pretty cheap now, probably the reason why they're doing this.

EDIT.

#FE is getting pretty good reviews, suprised the gaming press didn't look down on the game. Wonder how the sales will be in the states/canada compared to Japan.

R+ cards are pretty cheap now, probably the reason why they're doing this.

EDIT.

#FE is getting pretty good reviews, suprised the gaming press didn't look down on the game. Wonder how the sales will be in the states/canada compared to Japan.

How rude, don't forget about Europe!
whoa an Atlus game not releasing in Europe late

I know, I mean iOS/Android emulators....

...are there not any?

They have them. Mine runs android. I didn't like using my phone because Megaman X is impossible to play. You can't jump and hold your X buster at the same time. That's why I bought the GPD. For any fast action games, touch screen buttons just don't cut it. I think it'll be fine with Fire Emblem though. Hell, I have FE4 in my 7 inch tablet because I don't want to lose my save file and start over.

I'm at the end of Hoshido and I think it might actually be my least favorite Fire Emblem game aside from Shadow Dragon. The ending is just a lame cherry on top of a generally lame campaign. There's nothing interesting about anything in Hoshido design wise. Use Ryoma, Takumi, Corrin and Saizo to win while everyone else hugs them with pair up. Dragon Veins are conceptually cool but hardly ever implemented well.

You kill Xander in 2 turns and the mission ends. Whats the point of that mission? Then you fight Garon in a hallway...and then again when he animes.

Plz tell me Nohr is better and not for babies. The writing in Hoshido is so god awful I ended up skipping most of it.

I'm at the end of Hoshido and I think it might actually be my least favorite Fire Emblem game aside from Shadow Dragon. The ending is just a lame cherry on top of a generally lame campaign. There's nothing interesting about anything in Hoshido design wise. Use Ryoma, Takumi, Corrin and Saizo to win while everyone else hugs them with pair up. Dragon Veins are conceptually cool but hardly ever implemented well.

You kill Xander in 2 turns and the mission ends. Whats the point of that mission? Then you fight Garon in a hallway...and then again when he animes.

Plz tell me Nohr is better and not for babies. The writing in Hoshido is so god awful I ended up skipping most of it.

uh...the gameplay is a lot better

the plot is...not

uh...the gameplay is a lot better

the plot is...not

I dont know how thats even possible. Hoshido feels like it fell straight out of the 80s NES JRPG era with how generic and bad its writing is. If I tried to count how many shonen anime cliches there were in every chapter I'd need a calculator. Fire Emblem has never been good at writing but fuck was it ALWAYS this bad? I really hope not.

NeonZ

Yeah, level design-wise Conquest is on a completely different level. It actually makes me fear for a future release that isn't split into versions though, since Hoshido was clearly intended to be the main version...

I dont know how thats even possible. Hoshido feels like it fell straight out of the 80s NES JRPG era with how generic and bad its writing is. If I tried to count how many shonen anime cliches there were in every chapter I'd need a calculator. Fire Emblem has never been good at writing but fuck was it ALWAYS this bad? I really hope not.

Conquest's plot isn't cliche, but it loves using plot devices over actual character motivation in some critical moments.

Xbro

Birthright is currently my least favorite game in the series(I haven't played all of Shadow Dragon so I won't count that).

Conquest is a lot better gameplay wise, but story isn't any better, you could even say it's worse.

Bad writing aside, I really think the main problem with the story was that there was way too much focus on Corrin instead of the world around him/her.

I also still don't understand the decision to make weapons not break. I thought Killing Edges and Brave weapons would be the problem but nope - Fujin Yumi, Raijinto and Yato never break and you have essentially zero reason to ever use anything else. I never had Takumi and Ryoma use anything other then their weapons, and even with Corrin's ability to use Dragonstones I never switched off Yato. Whats the point of ultra powerful weapons when you just use them all the time? You don't even get them late game. You use them the entire game. They don't require S rank either.

Draxal

A lot of it is the narrative style that goes along with FE13/14, turning characters into exposition bots hurts the narrative.

Mayo's one of my favorite Cipher artists. Each piece they do looks really good in my opinion.

Kozaki/Kita/Wada/Izuka are all great. Kaneda did a great job with Roy but he only has done two pieces. Mayo's good, but has had some clunkers. The Cipher artists that I'm high on are NnNekoR and HACCAN.

A lot of it is the narrative style that goes along with FE13/14, turning characters into exposition bots hurts the narrative.

Not even the relationship conversations are very good, and thats usually the one saving grace.

Yeah I get it - there's like 30 characters plus the kids and its a lot of stuff to write but even the S ranks are lame shit.

Character A - "I remember that flower you gave me once. I loved you since the first time I saw you!"

Character B - "Oh thats so sweet"

A - "So youre saying you dont feel the same?"

B - "No I ALSO loved you from the first time we met! Lets get married!"

every single time. The kids are also just carbon copies of Awakening characters and they aren't even trying to hide it.

Also highly disappointed there are still characters like Izuna, Scarlet and Shura who can only have conversations with the MU - making them essentially useless. Why would I ever use these 2nd tier characters that can't have any relationships?

Draxal

I consider most S ranks to be bonus conversations that are meaningless romantic comedy epilogues from their A-B-C conversations. I won't let a bad S get away from a good A-B-C conversation.

Scarlet and Shura are considered to be very good characters.

As for the kids, three of them are carbon copies; as those three (along with Chrom) won the popularity poll for Awakening so they're a nod to them.

I'm not really trying to defend the narrative (well I think it's better in Birthright compared to Conquest and Rev.

As for the kids, three of them are carbon copies; as those three (along with Chrom) won the popularity poll for Awakening so they're a nod to them.

Oh? I didn't get them all but I did get Asugi, Caeldori and Rhajat so it colored my expectations. I also just realized the names are Gaius, Cordelia and Tharja with the letters re arranged.

I also still don't understand the decision to make weapons not break. I thought Killing Edges and Brave weapons would be the problem but nope - Fujin Yumi, Raijinto and Yato never break and you have essentially zero reason to ever use anything else. I never had Takumi and Ryoma use anything other then their weapons, and even with Corrin's ability to use Dragonstones I never switched off Yato. Whats the point of ultra powerful weapons when you just use them all the time? You don't even get them late game. You use them the entire game. They don't require S rank either.
Fujin Yumi and Yato? please, the real OP stuff are the 1-2 range weapons (what was the point of nerfing hand axes and javelins again?)
Also highly disappointed there are still characters like Izuna, Scarlet and Shura who can only have conversations with the MU - making them essentially useless. Why would I ever use these 2nd tier characters that can't have any relationships?
You use them cause they're pretty good (well, Scarlet and Reina are in Birthright) :p

Top Bottom