• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Fujin Yumi and Yato? please, the real OP stuff are the 1-2 range weapons (what was the point of nerfing hand axes and javelins again?)
How else could they make the family members even more OP than just giving them great stats and classes?

It is kind of irritating to me that they made the family members so much better than everyone else, though I guess balance is pretty good to make up for it. Still, I kind of like that a lot of the best units in previous games are relatively minor characters.

Draxal

How else could they make the family members even more OP than just giving them great stats and classes?

It is kind of irritating to me that they made the family members so much better than everyone else, though I guess balance is pretty good to make up for it. Still, I kind of like that a lot of the best units in previous games are relatively minor characters.

Are you saying Sniper is a great class?

Anyhoo got my Nintendo Dreams and Dengeki Nintendo's in. The Cipher Guidebook that came with Dengeki was a great free bonus.

Xbro

image.php

Anyhoo got my Nintendo Dreams and Dengeki Nintendo's in. The Cipher Guidebook that came with Dengeki was a great free bonus.

it's a cool looking class

which month of dengeki is that? i think it sold out on amazon.jp cause i was lazy >>

Okay of course it isn't but still every Nohr family member has a mount and 3/4ths of them have 1-2 range and Ryoma having Astra is a big part of why he's so unkillable and Hinoka is a Pegasus knight which is historically one of the best classes.

Moonlight

Banned
Hoshido isn't my least favourite FE (I like it quite a bit, actually) but in the end I can't deny it feels pretty uninteresting from a design standpoint. It's a step up from FEA from a systems perspective but the novelty of the unique classes really only takes the game so far until it hits that ceiling in terms of how much it actually diversifies what you do mission to mission.

Maybe thats just me. I tend to not use the tier 2 characters with no relationships, and I didn't in Awakening either. It sucks because I like them.
I think it's that way with most people. The game rewards relationship building so much that it feels like a waste if you aren't maximizing that whenever possible. Which sucks for characters like Scarlett and Flora.

Still couldn't resist including Anna and Tiki in my FEA rotation, but at least there was a handful of supports they had.

Maybe because I've never been interested in min/maxing and doing lunatic or brutal runs but they've always been strong for me.
Snipers are limited by the fact that they can only kill one unit per turn, even if they have reliably strong offense. Being locked to bows is bad almost all of the time and a unit that is bowlocked has to be pretty exceptional to make up for that (see: Shin)

Swordmasters are better because swords > bows but still have questionable durability most of the time, may have unreliable offense/bad starts (see: Guy, Joshua, most female myrms) and because they're swordlocked they can't have reliable 1-2 range in most games. There's still some standouts (Rutger, FE10 Mia) but they're on the weaker side of the class spectrum.

Both do have the fact that they aren't Generals going for them, though.

Erheller

Snipers are limited by the fact that they can only kill one unit per turn, even if they have reliably strong offense. Being locked to bows is bad almost all of the time and a unit that is bowlocked has to be pretty exceptional to make up for that (see: Shin)

Swordmasters are better because swords > bows but still have questionable durability most of the time, may have unreliable offense/bad starts (see: Guy, Joshua, most female myrms) and because they're swordlocked they can't have reliable 1-2 range in most games. There's still some standouts (Rutger, FE10 Mia) but they're on the weaker side of the class spectrum.

I've heard that lances are strong in the GBA games and axes are strong in the Tellius games (if I remember correctly, anyways). Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm guessing part of it is due to the javelin/hand axe deal where you can do a lot of damage during the enemy phase.

I've heard that lances are strong in the GBA games and axes are strong in the Tellius games (if I remember correctly, anyways). Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm guessing part of it is due to the javelin/hand axe deal where you can do a lot of damage during the enemy phase.

Javelins and hand axes serve the same purpose: kill everything on enemy phase with 1-2 range, which one's better in which game really comes down to availability on the best units more than anything.

The reason why 1-2 range is so dominant in FE7-10, Awakening, and even most of Fates (so in other words every localized game except Shadow Dragon and like 20% of Conquest) is that you can just overpower the enemy through higher stats, because ranged weapons are supposed to be balanced via weaker attack (or for magic users, low durability*) but if you have enough strength it just doesn't matter.

(as a side note, also why magic is OP in 3DS Fire Emblem and rumors of its demise in Fates have been greatly exaggerated: you have more ways than ever to patch up magic and even defense, but enemies still have garbage resistance; now in Fates you can even block every other attack in pairup as long as you double, further increasing durability!)

*which is why Oni Chieftain Rinkah/Basara Oboro/etc. are hilarious, also Horse Spirit

Draxal

There's a pretty cool Senri Kita interview in this issue of Nintendo Dream which shows in progress pictures of her Chrom/Starter Ike/ and Azura cards. Also has some new stuff for the PoR art book.

Aveyn, did you get a copy of it yet?

Xbro

Shinon with a crossbow, granted I think Shinon promoted from a Sniper at one point.

Chrom

Hope to see Kozaki post a sketch on his Twitter again to commemorate the first year anniversary since Fates released in Japan.

Draxal

Series 5 has the most. I posted a good amount of Series 4 but saw some broken links when I was going through my older posts.

Did you see my earlier post about getting this month's Nintendo Dream for the Senri Kita cipher interview with in progress work of some of her Cipher art?

Series 5 has the most. I posted a good amount of Series 4 but saw some broken links when I was going through my older posts.

Did you see my earlier post about getting this month's Nintendo Dream for the Senri Kita cipher interview with in progress work of some of her Cipher art?

I see. I just saw Narcian's arts posted as well. I think we've got nearly half the cards in the set being put online (if my Cipher resource folder is any indication).

I assume they're trying to ramp up the hype since it is the 1st anniversary today.

Oh dear, that happens, but I guess I can try and work backwards. I hate trawling through Twitter though, especially the further back in time you go >___<

Yup, I saw, but it was too late for me to reply. I don't really import much, unless I have to. Being the UK kind of sucks for importing because of our custom taxes.
Nevermind after yesterday.

I'm hoping some kind individual will post some pics online. Otherwise, I could always order the digital copy if absolutely necessary.

Draxal

Two set 5 boxes came in today. Second pack was a signed Roy sr, i've been much better luck with SR+'s recently.

edit ... Second booster box also had signed roy ...

Chrom

Oh, we're still posting more S5 art? I found this Lilina by Yamada this morning but it's all I have.

Related, I asked Mayo a long time ago if they could share the full illustration of one of the S3 Mia arts on the behalf of a friend who really wanted to see it. They haven't gotten around to it, but when I messaged just recently they seemed to have remembered about it and still seem intent to do so. I figure they may upload a batch of their remaining illustrations on their Pixiv sooner or later since that's what they did previously.

Edit: Have some Narcian too!

Draxal

Oh, we're still posting more S5 art? I found this Lilina by Yamada this morning but it's all I have.

Related, I asked Mayo a long time ago if they could share the full illustration of one of the S3 Mia arts on the behalf of a friend who really wanted to see it. They haven't gotten around to it, but when I messaged just recently they seemed to have remembered about it and still seem intent to do so. I figure they may upload a batch of their remaining illustrations on their Pixiv sooner or later since that's what they did previously.

Edit: Have some Narcian too!

Oh that's cool that the cipher artists have been talking to you guys. Have you considered doing an interview with one for your site?

Chrom

Oh that's cool that the cipher artists have been talking to you guys. Have you considered doing an interview with one for your site?

I had never considered it before but now that you've brought it up I think conducting an interview with a Cipher artist would be a fun idea worth looking into. Thankfully it's easy to communicate with Mayo since they're very good with English. Not sure if my own site would be the best venue for an interview but I personally think a Reddit AMA would have the best potential for interest. I'll shoot them an email tonight and will see what happens.

If things go through with an interview (Reddit AMA or otherwise), what kinds of questions would you guys like to see asked?

Draxal

Honestly, if Aveyn could set it up, SF would be perfect for it, as they have the most mature Cipher community.

For Mayo.

1. He's now associated with the Fates Older Sisters, did Izuka pick him out for it, or did he volunteer for it or is it a little of both.

2. His personal favorite Cipher piece (I like his Promo Lilina's the most).

3. Gotta put questions about his other works, but I'm not too familiar with them, so probably alot of background questions.

Honestly, if Aveyn could set it up, SF would be perfect for it, as they have the most mature Cipher community.

For Mayo.

1. He's now associated with the Fates Older Sisters, did Izuka pick him out for it, or did he volunteer for it or is it a little of both.

2. His personal favorite Cipher piece (I like his Promo Lilina's the most).

3. Gotta put questions about his other works, but I'm not too familiar with them, so probably alot of background questions.

is that because it's 5 people

Chrom

Serenes Forest doesn't sound too bad either, I think that could also be appropriate. I can agree that the forums may have the most ideal community to make it work. I mention Reddit mainly because Kozaki had done an AMA a few years back to talk about Awakening and it went by very well in my opinion. But if there's preferred interest in conducting an interview through Serenes Forest then I have no issue with leaving that to Aveyn or whoever else if they would like.

Serenes Forest doesn't sound too bad either, I think that could also be appropriate. I can agree that the forums may have the most ideal community to make it work. I mention Reddit mainly because Kozaki had done an AMA a few years back to talk about Awakening and it went by very well in my opinion. But if there's preferred interest in conducting an interview through Serenes Forest then I have no issue with leaving that to Aveyn or whoever else if they would like.

Favorite design was Lucina eh?

insert Chrom joke here

Hehe, I remember the Kozaki AMA. Although I was kind of late to the party so I don't think my question got asked XD

I do think there's a sizable FE/Cipher audience on Reddit, so having an AMA over there isn't a bad idea at all.

Our Cipher editor on SF actually frequents the FE sub and posts Cipher stuff there, so I could ask for her opinion as well.

Hehe, I remember the Kozaki AMA. Although I was kind of late to the party so I don't think my question got asked XD

I do think there's a sizable FE/Cipher audience on Reddit, so having an AMA over there isn't a bad idea at all.

Our Cipher editor on SF actually frequents the FE sub and posts Cipher stuff there, so I could ask for her opinion as well.
You mean your question didn't get answered?

Top Bottom