• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Codeblue

It probably would have been better if the avatar wasn't such a focal point of the plot in FE13.

I certainly agree with this.

Also, I think people hate on the romance feature, not because of the feature itself, but because "Waifu" talk hijacked a lot of the discussion around the game. Maybe next time we need two OTs or something.

McNum

I certainly agree with this.

Also, I think people hate on the romance feature, not because of the feature itself, but because "Waifu" talk hijacked a lot of the discussion around the game. Maybe next time we need two OTs or something.
Yeah, I get why they wanted to push the Avatar since this was the first non-remake featuring one, so of course this feature had to be played up. But he just became a show-stealer. Chrom was supposed to be the Lord, but he doesn't really do much.

Ideally, I do want the Avatar system to return, but keep him at about the same level as Soren in Path of Radiance. The invaluable second in command, the one asking the uncomfortable questions that need to be asked, but not the main hero. Just the guy the main Lord would never had made it without. Maybe not as grumpy as Soren, but you get the idea of a what role I'm thinking of.

As for the romance thing, I kind of like it. It gives a fun incentive to replay the game. The waifu talk can get a bit over the top, but if people like the game and are talking enthusiastically about one of their favorite features, then it's alright with me. Many new fans means more Fire Emblem. And more Fire Emblem is a good thing.

ec0ec0

:O... o_O!!! OMG the world is really a bad place... I just saw path of radiance prices...

I have had than game (and radiant dawn, of course) since release and, because of that, i never looked for prices online. I thought that gamecube games were like 20-30 eur... (im in spain) wow, had no idea than things were this bad (i just looked for other gamecube games prices...).

I am sorry for anyone who wants to play path of radiance, because i thought that it was as easy as going to the internet and buying it... and the better part is that nintendo is not helping with the virtual console, maybe in 10 years... sorry :(

DO SOMETHING NINTENDO!!

CSX

been dabbing a little into FE6 for a bit whenever i had some free time.

All my level ups have been shitastic lol...

Really? I guess my first playthrough was very lucky then. Godly roy, godly lucina, godly Thana, etc

Roy usually ends up extremely average, worse than Eliwood.

Lillina gets lots of magic and luck.

Thany has trouble gaining strength.

They are still pretty good units, just not as well rounded as other units become in later games.

:O... o_O!!! OMG the world is really a bad place... I just saw path of radiance prices...

I have had than game (and radiant dawn, of course) since release and, because of that, i never looked for prices online. I thought that gamecube games were like 20-30 eur... (im in spain) wow, had no idea than things were this bad (i just looked for other gamecube games prices...).

I am sorry for anyone who wants to play path of radiance, because i thought that it was as easy as going to the internet and buying it... and the better part is that nintendo is not helping with the virtual console, maybe in 10 years... sorry :(

DO SOMETHING NINTENDO!!

That's the price of perfection being really really good.

Man, that sucks. I got lucky with FE: Path of Radiance, I got it on sale around the time GC started to disappear off shelves. Walked into a Gamestop, left with a brand spanking new copy of FE:path of Radiance for $20. I don't even want to see how much they are going for these days. Nintendo really needs to release their older GC titles digitally somehow. While they are at it release the GBA games on 3DS dammit.

Really? I guess my first playthrough was very lucky then. Godly roy, godly lucina, godly Thana, etc

based Lucina, even helping Roy! /s
yeah in FE6, growths generally suck, starting from FE7 they boosted player growths across the board
then again with Rutger at the start and Miledy/Perceval later, haha what are growths

also I paid $40 for Radiant Dawn, 5 years after release :(

Gambit

So what are the chances of SMTXFE (or is it FExSMT, it's been too long!) tomorrow?

Slim or none?

slim, obviously. Never none.

Last night I finished chapter 24 of Path of Radiance. I am in love with that game. Although I still really like Awakening, I can now understand those that found the story to be lacking. The continent of Tellius is just amazing.

Not sure how many of my characters will make it to level 20 with maxed skills. Currently on the way, Boyd, Oscar, Ike, Rhys, Soren, Titania, Shinon, Jill. Is that enough? I hope so.

EDIT: I forgot about Volke. Love that guy.

onionfrog

I wish path of radiance and radiant dawn werent a fortune
As do we all.

I bought Path of radiance for $20 near the end of the gamecube's lifespan, but I'm really kicking myself for not picking up Radiant Dawn before the prices jumped up significantly above MSRP.

:(

So what are the chances of SMTXFE (or is it FExSMT, it's been too long!) tomorrow?

Slim or none?
I hope we hear something. That's a game that'll get me to buy a wii u.

Replaying Path of Radiance after beating FE7 and FE8. Forgot how shitty and annoying the 3D battles are. First time I played, I turned it off. Much prefer the 2D ones. PoR has some shitty chracters not named Volke and Nephenee.

MogCakes

Replaying Path of Radiance after beating FE7 and FE8. Forgot how shitty and annoying the 3D battles are. First time I played, I turned it off. Much prefer the 2D ones. PoR has some shitty chracters not named Volke and Nephenee.

Welcome to the glorious 2D FE master race!

I'm kidding, but I do prefer 2D as well

It's only because you haven't played Radiant Dawn yet.

I typically turn off animations after a while.

Usually when I first have to retry a map.

Same here, It's fun watching the first time you play a map, but If I'm constantly losing units, I'll turn it off on subsequent retries.

With the exception of Awakening, the entire series has had relatively shitty graphics tbh

True, but those GBA sprites were slick. Critical hit animations are soooo good.

Lyn_lord_sword_critical.gif

Gambit

I turned off the animations very quickly. I usually just watch every new character once and switch them back off.

Yesterdsay I beat the Black Knight on the first try.
Actually in the first round! Ike activated his special, so did the Black Knight. I thought I was a goner, but survived. Mist healed me, before the Black Knight attacked the next round. He activated his special again and left me with only 7 HP, but apparently Ike was enraged and Aethered the Black Knight to death in retaliation.

Now I'm in the last chapter and made a very annoying discovery. 100 Bonus EXP do not correspond with 100 EXP! I had no idea and all of a sudden my hopes for transferring all those stats are diminished. I earned a lot of Bonus EXP and kept most till the end. Now I hink I would have been better off giving them a couple levels right away instead of waiting till they are high-levelled.

I feel especially bad for Volke and Nephenee, as they both maxed some of their stats already but are only level 12.

It seems the only ones who'll make it now are Ike, Soren, Rhys and Boys. Maybe Oscar & Tanith.

I haven't seen the last map yet, but I will try my best to have Volke and Nephenee get all the kills. Maybe it'll be enough.

Yesterdsay I beat the Black Knight on the first try.
Actually in the first round! Ike activated his special, so did the Black Knight. I thought I was a goner, but survived. Mist healed me, before the Black Knight attacked the next round. He activated his special again and left me with only 7 HP, but apparently Ike was enraged and Aethered the Black Knight to death in retaliation.

Congrats, that battle sounds like a real nail biter. Ike's Occult skill is so useful when it activates.

Gambit

Congrats, that battle sounds like a real nail biter. Ike's Occult skill is so useful when it activates.

It was a nail biter. The stakes were especially high because my groupd had very good level ups in the previous battle and you can't save till after the clash with the Black Knight.

Ike's occult skill is a life saver! But now, being level 20 already, Ike is relegated to the back seat. Gotta get those other people to level up.

It was a nail biter. The stakes were especially high because my groupd had very good level ups in the previous battle and you can't save till after the clash with the Black Knight.

Ike's occult skill is a life saver! But now, being level 20 already, Ike is relegated to the back seat. Gotta get those other people to level up.

So your group's awesome level ups were riding on Ike's victory. Must have been satisfying when you were able to save.

I remember having a similar experience as yours when I fought him. I don't think I would have won without Aether and Mist. Ever since Path of Radiance, Aether has been my favorite Fire Emblem skill. If I could, I would teach it to my FE:A Avatar just because. Though Ignis is pretty satisfying as well.

Gambit

So your group's awesome level ups were riding on Ike's victory. Must have been satisfying when you were able to save.

I remember having a similar experience as yours when I fought him. I don't think I would have won without Aether and Mist. Ever since Path of Radiance, Aether has been my favorite Fire Emblem skill. If I could, I would teach it to my FE:A Avatar just because. Though Ignis is pretty satisfying as well.

Yes, it all depended on Ike. The game design really made me see Ike as the deciding factor.

Aether was great in Awakening, as well, but I think my favourite skill was the insanely useful Galeforce.

I think I will finish Path of Radiance today and already can't wait to play Radiant Dawn. But I will force myself to take a break for a while. Fire Emblem games are just too addicting and mess with my regular life.

Yes, it all depended on Ike. The game design really made me see Ike as the deciding factor.

Aether was great in Awakening, as well, but I think my favourite skill was the insanely useful Galeforce.

I think I will finish Path of Radiance today and already can't wait to play Radiant Dawn. But I will force myself to take a break for a while. Fire Emblem games are just too addicting and mess with my regular life.

Galeforce is incredible, really wish every single one of my units could learn it. Oh well, I guess it would have made the game way too easy. I'm on a bit of a FE break right now. I still have not played Radiant Dawn and probably won't for a while, gonna check out some other games.

Have fun beating Path of Radiance!

Codeblue

Take a two year break for best results.

Gambit

Galeforce is incredible, really wish every single one of my units could learn it. Oh well, I guess it would have made the game way too easy. I'm on a bit of a FE break right now. I still have not played Radiant Dawn and probably won't for a while, gonna check out some other games.

Have fun beating Path of Radiance!

Thanks. Last night, I finally beat it. It was oh so satisfying. The last chapter wasn't all that difficult actually. The reason was simple. As usual for me, I save all my important items/weapons for the endgame. So I've finally used the laguzweapons etc and they were so strong!

Too strong, in fact. It meant that Oscar and Volke were stuc at level 19 and I was really bothered by it. That's why I replayed it again tonight to have a good transfer file.
Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Titania, Tanith, Volke, Rhys and Soren now all made it to level 20. Jill and Nephenee didn't quite, but I don't want to replay it again. This will be my transfer file now.

PS: Knowing what I do now, I wasted so much bonus exp on the wrong characters. For example, with better heal staffs Rhys levels up very quickly, no need for Bonus EXP.

Take a two year break for best results.

Not sure I can wait that long. I already watched the Radiant Dawn opening last night, lol. But I will force myself to wait for a while.

Just bought this! Can't wait to try it, should be here by Tuesday

Have fun. It really is great and combines many very intricate systems into an entertaining whole.

Levyne

Banned
Bumping this thread since I don't want to see it unvisited :(

When do you guys think the earliest we will see any tiny news of a second 3DS fire emblem? You'd imagine the system would see two entries.

spiritfox

When do you guys think the earliest we will see any tiny news of a second 3DS fire emblem? You'd imagine the system would see two entries.

I want them to work on an Advance Wars first, but that seems highly unlikely. Hopefully something by TGS this year, if not the next.

Lunar15

I'm still debating whether Awakening will get a direct sequel or not. I think that if it does, the game will come out within the next two years. If it's not, there's a higher chance it could be a longer wait. The best bet is 2015, if you ask me.

I don't think Awakening will get a direct sequel, but IS really likes doing direct FE sequels.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about SMTxFE. Depending on when that comes out, it could keep a mainline FE from coming for a while.

octopiggy

I'm playing through Fire Emblem GBA for the first time at the moment.

Does weapon efficiency rank make you do more damage or does it just let you use more powerful weapons?

Draxal

I'm still debating whether Awakening will get a direct sequel or not. I think that if it does, the game will come out within the next two years. If it's not, there's a higher chance it could be a longer wait. The best bet is 2015, if you ask me.

I don't think Awakening will get a direct sequel, but IS really likes doing direct FE sequels.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about SMTxFE. Depending on when that comes out, it could keep a mainline FE from coming for a while.

I still think they're going to go into future Tellius like they did with future Achanea as a sorta sidequel.

And I still think SMTXFE will be mostly developed by Atlus's Devil Survivor team.

Lunar15

I still think they're going to go into future Tellius like they did with future Achanea as a sorta sidequel.

And I still think SMTXFE will be mostly developed by Atlus's Devil Survivor team.

It was the FE director who wanted to make it, Atlus merely suggested they use the SMT branding.

Levyne

Banned
Would you guy's like to see the return of "either-or" options like Karel-Harken and Geitz-Wallace?

I started thinking about that when I was doing laundry, of all things >_>

mihon

Would you guy's like to see the return of "either-or" options like Karel-Harken and Geitz-Wallace?

Sure, it adds replayability. Even better if they are recruited in different routes, a la Thracia 776.

I hope that for the next game they don't do a direct sequel to Awakening, but considering its sales.... :(

GamerSoul

Yea I'd like to see something like that return. I can't remember how we got to choose though lol. Was it through side missions?

mihon

Yea I'd like to see something like that return. I can't remember how we got to choose though lol. Was it through side missions?

In the case of FE 7, it was through hidden conditions. Like if certain characters were at a given level, you would get different, but obrigatory, chapters.

Karen-Harken involved something like killing a certain number of enemies / opening a certain number of doors before X turns in a specific chapter (that was different based in another hidden condition). Yeah, very cumbersome.

In Thracia 776 you could choose one of two routes, and in each one you could recruit different characters.

RiggyRob

In the case of FE 7, it was through hidden conditions. Like if certain characters were at a given level, you would get different, but obrigatory, chapters.

Karen-Harken involved something like killing a certain number of enemies / opening a certain number of doors before X turns in a specific chapter (that was different based in another hidden condition). Yeah, very cumbersome.

In Thracia 776 you could choose one of two routes, and in each one you could recruit different characters.

I hated that so much, I never got to recruit Karel when I first started playing Fire Emblem. Then again, I never recruited Karla because I didn't like Bartre either (
seriously with Dart and Hector, you don't need anyone else xD
)

I like the idea of chapters that branch off so you can recruit different characters, something similar to Sacred Stones would be great (
I never played Thracia 776
), but the way it was done in FE7 just felt like it was punishing you for not following the strict requirements e.g. all Lords must be above level 15, all magic users' levels combined must be higher than all physical units' levels combined etc.

mihon

I hated that so much, I never got to recruit Karel when I first started playing Fire Emblem. Then again, I never recruited Karla because I didn't like Bartre either (
seriously with Dart and Hector, you don't need anyone else xD
)

I like the idea of chapters that branch off so you can recruit different characters, something similar to Sacred Stones would be great (
I never played Thracia 776
), but the way it was done in FE7 just felt like it was punishing you for not following the strict requirements e.g. all Lords must be above level 15, all magic users' levels combined must be higher than all physical units' levels combined etc.

Yeah, I didn't like the way FE 7 did it. First, because the requirements were completely hidden. Secondly, because even if you knew them, you were forced to use some characters / play a certain way. It didn't help that Karel was arguably a weaker character and much harder to get. IS can't balance games even if their life depended on it... or most likely, they don't just care.

GamerSoul

I would be for that again but with all the class changing and overall system in Awakening it kind of makes it seem unnecessary. Unless they would have special classes that can be unlocked depending on what path you chose. that would be cool.

Top Bottom