• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

RiggyRob

yeah, but for FE10 it would have been nice to have:
1) the extra dialogue that for some reason was cut from the harder modes
2) Master Crown requirement for 3rd tier promotions (makes it more limited)
3) the forging point system so you can't spam forges lategame

however, the remaining changes were for the better (seriously, Japanese version Edward sucks)

also, all changes here:
http://www.serenesforest.net/general/local3.html#fe10

(note to self: www.[I]serene[/I]forest.net is not the site you are looking for)

Literally the only changes I don't like on that list is the Data Transfer freeze and the dialogue removal, everything else makes the game much better IMO.

In fact, I hope the automatic promotions without items return in the next Fire Emblem game.

Aizo

Banned
I met a friend of a friend at lunch last week who is really into FE, and she told me the general consensus is that Radiant Dawn is crap... I immediately thought that I'd want to hear what you all think.

RiggyRob

I met a friend of a friend at lunch last week who is really into FE, and she told me the general consensus is that Radiant Dawn is crap... I immediately thought that I'd want to hear what you all think.

Your friend is wrong.
/s

IMO Radiant Dawn is the best, there's a variety of maps and objectives, the base, forge and library system is great, the bonus EXP and skill system were improved and the story has the feel of an 'epic' saga. That's not to say it doesn't have flaws, but I'd be interested in knowing why your friend thinks it's crap.

Levyne

Banned
Radiant Dawn is too bloated for its own good, too put it shortly. I don't have time to talk about it now at length, but I'm also repeating myself at this point. It has a cast of over 70 characters, yet it seems like no matter what you do, at the end of it you end up with largely the same ~12 guys unless you force yourself to go against the grain and use one of the many many units with poor or awkward availability. Even something like Fire Emblem (GBA) with a smaller cast, it feel more organic to simply use who you like with either minor trade offs (the inate differences between Wil and Rebecca, Dorcas or Bartre, Erk or Pent, Matthew or Legault) or a short wait (grabbing a pre-promote a few chapters down the line.) And not always within the same class too, you can freely make your team all mages, or all sword guys, or all pre-promotes...the game is just very fun to tackle in different ways. You have a lot of freedom to play how you like.

Try doing that with Radiant Dawn and you end up frustrated with units being unavailable for large swaths of the game, or simply being very underleveled compared to a clearly superior alternative (think, Rolf against Shinon or any Dawn Brigade member against any one of Ike's troops). And it's not just specifically talking about manipulating the game like that (using a specific set of characters), I just mention the lack of freedom to do such a thing and that is something that results from it.

The loss of detailed support conversations is another thing. Figuring out which groups to support which based on characters natural affinity for each other (people with similar class or background typically can support) and how to best work those out within a small list of minor limitations I found enjoyable. It was like a puzzle to solve. When anyone can support anyone, it just feels more throwaway. You find two units that you're using anyway and slap on a support. The fact that these supports are significantly less interesting, content-wise, is another loss.

Being so large, it also just seems to lack balance. By the end of the game you're forging stuff every map because you have the money and why not. You can promote everyone. It almost feels like everyone maxes at least 3 stats when they top off. Bonus exp is easily abusable. Snipers...

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, it's just I don't care for it as much as any other Fire Emblem without a world map with random battles. At least it doesn't have one of those.

Codeblue

Unless you're talking Shadow Dragon (and even then it's debatable), you'll never get a consensus that any Fire Emblem game is bad, because there really haven't been any truly bad ones. Each game has it's fans and detractors though, looks like you ran into the latter.

Lunar15

Here's how I always put it: Radiant Dawn is an awesome conclusion + fanservice for fans of Path of Radiance. However, gameplay-wise, it's a mess. Levyne puts it well: It's bloated. You go from having no money to having gobs of it at the end so you just end up forging everything and getting super overpowered weapons. You never have one group for the whole game, supports are terrible, and it's just impossible to balance.

God, I had a hell of a lot of fun with it though. It does have good maps and some interesting objectives. But if you're interested in leisurely figuring out which team you like, it's pretty much hell. The game is basically fan service: It sacrifices gameplay for plot. If Path of Radiance took a micro, ground-level view of Ike and his comrades, Radiant Dawn takes the macro, bird's eye view of the world as a whole. If you enjoyed the world of Path of Radiance and you crave more, I don't think you can go wrong with Radiant Dawn. If you're new to the series, Radiant Dawn is probably the worst game to start with.

There's plenty to like about it, though. For example, you get Haar as part of Ike's troops early on and you get to experience all of his badass glory for a large portion of the game.

Radiant Dawn is broken in a lot of ways, but I loved it. (I actually don't know many fans at all that consider it crap. It seemed like most FE fans liked it, despite its issues.)

I enjoyed it a lot more than Awakening.

Path of Radiance is still my favorite, though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I alternate between thinking Seisen no Kaifu and Thracia 776 are the best in the series. I just wish they'd get remakes and thus translations. I mean, "Genealogy of the Holy War" is just such a clumsy way of translating the title in and of itself. Could have been something amazing like "The Crusade's Bloodline" or some such.

Radiant Dawn is too big and complex for it's own good and while the level design is great, the flow of the game and the imbalance in characters kind of ruin the single player for some.

The lore is amazing and the final chapters are the best of any Fire Emblem, (That Rebirth 3 yo) just that getting there takes way too long and the politics are somewhat poorly explained. The whole Dawn Brigade vs Greil Mercenaries could have been handled a LOT better. I'd love to see a remake/remaster that fixes some of these problems.

Also they got rid of the "smoothness" of animations during crits and special strikes. Really slowed down the battles. I liked Ike's fast Aether animation and the Astras. In RD they feel so slow.

Let's play a game!
A new Fire Emblem fighting game has been announced, and it has a 30 character roster. Each poster is only allowed to add one character, I'll start.

1. Nephenee

(I bet this version is going to take 20 hours not 20 minutes lol)

Levyne

Banned
That's an interesting discussion. If a 30 - man fighter was made, what /would/ it look like?

2.) Hector.

I plan on playing Seisen no Keifu for the first time soonish (after Dark Souls 2 ) and maybe I'll post updates of a blind run playthrough here or something.

spiritfox

That's an interesting discussion. If a 30 - man fighter was made, what /would/ it look like?

2.) Hector.

I plan on playing Seisen no Keifu for the first time soonish (after Dark Souls 2 ) and maybe I'll post updates of a blind run playthrough here or something.

You can only play each character once. If you lose, they die forever.

3. Marth, of course.

guys try to keep the whole list in your post
so right now:
1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Marth

talk about wasting a generic pick man

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Marth
4. Fin

And I loved Radiant Dawn. I loved how well it tied into Path of Radiance. Did they plan to do a two-part game series from the beginning? PoR had some cliffhangers, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they left it off the way it was. Then Radiant Dawn came along and fit PoR like a puzzle piece, similar to Golden Sun -> Lost Age.

RiggyRob

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Marth
4. Fin

And I loved Radiant Dawn. I loved how well it tied into Path of Radiance. Did they plan to do a two-part game series from the beginning? PoR had some cliffhangers, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they left it off the way it was. Then Radiant Dawn came along and fit PoR like a puzzle piece, similar to Golden Sun -> Lost Age.

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Marth
4. Fin
5. Stefan (aww yeah, Lion-Blooded Swordsman with his own S ranked weapon)

Oh right.

I haven't sent up my monthly prayers for fire emblem 9&10 HD Edition lately.

/pray

I should probably just find a used copy of both games already. Never gonna happen.

RiggyRob

Oh right.

I haven't sent up my monthly prayers for fire emblem 9&10 HD Edition lately.

/pray

I should probably just find a used copy of both games already. Never gonna happen.

You should read that 'Writing an email to Intelligent Systems every month thread', we always need more people to recognise the greatness of IS.

NeonZ

Considering FE12 even had them I figured that was the case at this point, but I guess Fire Emblem Madlibs: Awakening had a different idea in mind. The little strategy convos with Jeigan may have been unnecessary or redundant in some cases but they really fleshed out a game that needed it.

I guess the open world design might have been one of the reasons for the lack of base convos.

By making the paralogue chapters accessible at any point, there was a large number of characters with no set "chapter" for joining the player's team. That seems like something that would be problematic for the Base Convo system, since the conversations require certain character in a certain chapter to be activated. They'd likely need a new system to make it work without making things completely arbitrary regarding the Children characters at least.

Aside from that, there's how Awakening seems to have less story scenes than the other modern original Fire Emblem games. They cut the narration segments which had been around since FE3, and, after the first few chapters, the story scenes in general seem fairly small too. Base conversations were basically optional story scenes for each chapter, so cutting them might have been part of that too.

Lunar15

I feel like we should just assume all Lords are already in. Because I want to say Ike, but man, that's too obvious. I'll go with Haar instead.

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Cordelia
4. Fin
5. Stefan
6. Soren
7. Ephraim
8. Mia
9. Tharja
10. Haar

A better and more interesting poll would be: "If there were to be a Fire Emblem fighter with every class represented, but only one character could represent each one, which characters would you choose?"

RiggyRob

I feel like we should just assume all Lords are already in. Because I want to say Ike, but man, that's too obvious. I'll go with Haar instead.

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Cordelia
4. Fin
5. Stefan
6. Soren
7. Ephraim
8. Mia
9. Tharja
10. Haar

A better and more interesting poll would be: "If there were to be a Fire Emblem fighter with every class represented, but only one character could represent each one, which characters would you choose?"

Depends on what you mean by class - if you mean I can have a Myrmidon, Swordmaster and Trueblade, I'll say Guy, Joshua and Stefan. Otherwise, I'll have to pick Lyn for 'Swordmaster' class.

SoldnerKei

let arcsys do this and I would have no problem with that... Nintendo has ever made an actual fighting game? because you know, smash isn't a fighter is a party game blah blah

other than that I think picking Lord class would be tricky... thou you have a lot of different lord's weapons...

McNum

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Cordelia
4. Fin
5. Stefan
6. Soren
7. Ephraim
8. Mia
9. Tharja
10. Haar
11. The Black Knight

Because every fighting game needs a big bruiser type. Also his battle music needs to be in.

Codeblue

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Cordelia
4. Fin
5. Stefan
6. Soren
7. Ephraim
8. Mia
9. Tharja
10. Haar
11. The Black Knight
12. Dozla

Lunar15

Intellegent Systems tends to be extraordinarily tight lipped compared to other studios. They don't really have a highly visible spokesperson like Miyamoto, Aonuma, or Sakurai.

Heck, Nintendo mentioning SMTxFE that early was pretty unprecedented outside of smash bros.

RiggyRob

Intellegent Systems tends to be extraordinarily tight lipped compared to other studios. They don't really have a highly visible spokesperson like Miyamoto, Aonuma, or Sakurai.

Heck, Nintendo mentioning SMTxFE that early was pretty unprecedented outside of smash bros.

I think that's why Intelligent Systems games are so good - they're the result of a team effort rather than any one person taking the credit or doing the majority of the work. Hell, when Miyamoto got involved they produced arguably the worst game they've ever made (Paper Mario: Sticker Star).

I think they showed SMT x FE as a teaser at the right time considering it was just before Awakening released in the US/EU.

Draxal

The roster doesn't have enough 1/3 characters and has too many 8-9 characters so far. Can't see a guy like Stefan getting over Navarre.

Lunar15

I could be wrong here, but wasn't Intelligent Systems responsible for working on a lot of the hardware for a lot of older systems (particularly handhelds), and that's why they were usually the first to put a lot of software support on new systems? I think with the Wii/3DS hardware development moved elsewhere in the company or was divided up.

I could be talking out of my ass though.

Codeblue

The roster doesn't have enough 1/3 characters and has too many 8-9 characters so far. Can't see a guy like Stefan getting over Navarre.

Not surprising considering the later games did a way better job at character development, and the stronger entry in Marth's story never got released here.

RiggyRob

Not surprising considering the later games did a way better job at character development, and the stronger entry in Marth's story never got released here.

I feel like character development doesn't have a lot to do with it, more the fact that FE 2-6 haven't officially released in English tbh.

Lunar15

Ok, another question FEGAF:

What's a visible, iconic location for an FE stage in smash bros? I'm excited to see Arena Ferox in the new smash, but Castle Siege was way too generic. That said, it is a bit of a struggle to think of really iconic locales from the series without going way obscure.

The ones I can think of are:

Serenes Forest (POR) - Starts out as a swamp but turns into a forest after the Herons perform their ritual.

Tower of Guidance (RD) - Moving staircases and a butt load of dragons!

Dragon's Gate (FE7) - The dragon appears through the portal and acts as a stage boss

Begnion vs. Laguz Alliance Battlefield (RD) - A fly over stage where you see the two armies fighting below. RD Spoilers:
Ashera's Wrath happens and everyone turns to stone.

Codeblue

I feel like character development doesn't have a lot to do with it, more the fact that FE 2-6 haven't officially released in English tbh.

Speaking personally, it was hard for me to really like any characters in Shadow Dragon because they had absolutely no personality, which is to be expected from an NES game. It was way better in 3 though but no one who didn't import and download the translation patch would know that.

But, yes, people actually knowing that characters from 2-6 exist would certainly help their case.

RiggyRob

Ok, another question FEGAF:

What's a visible, iconic location for an FE stage in smash bros? I'm excited to see Arena Ferox in the new smash, but Castle Siege was way too generic. That said, it is a bit of a struggle to think of really iconic locales from the series without going way obscure.

The ones I can think of are:

Serenes Forest (POR) - Starts out as a swamp but turns into a forest after the Herons perform their ritual.

Tower of Guidance (RD) - Moving staircases and a butt load of dragons!

Dragon's Gate (FE7) - The dragon appears through the portal and acts as a stage boss

Begnion vs. Laguz Alliance Battlefield (RD) - A fly over stage where you see the two armies fighting below. RD Spoilers:
Ashera's Wrath happens and everyone turns to stone.

Awakening spoilers:
On the back of Grima would be the obvious choice.

Top Bottom