• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

MogCakes

I want the series' difficulty to ramp up with the next iteration. Keeping casual mode is fine if they use it to their advantage; they could add more enemies in key locations and all but guarantee at least a couple or more characters will get offed per battle and denied exp, for example >:)

Also I want the attack animations to look amazing. Those two are my most hoped for improvements.

Still praying for the day when wii and gc games go up for direct download on wiiu or its successor so I can easily acquire a copy of radiant dawn to play for the first time, and also to replay path of radiance.

mihon

The next game needs, before anything else, good / great level design. I'm still baffled by how terrible the level design is in Awakening.

GamerSoul

I hope re-classing is pulled back a bit in the next game.

True but I like playing with my favorite units with no worries :p

Maybe if we had a specific amount of re-classing options per unit it would make things interesting. Sort of like in Sacred Stones.

I think they did a decent job with the first gen characters minus the avatar. Then once you start considering the kids, your avatar kids and the bonus characters, all sense of balance gets thrown out the window.

At least it was an improvement from FE11/12's system.

kswiston

I think they did a decent job with the first gen characters minus the avatar. Then once you start considering the kids, your avatar kids and the bonus characters, all sense of balance gets thrown out the window.

At least it was an improvement from FE11/12's system.

You mean, you shouldn't be allowed to have Galeforce on your entire team (minus Chrom)?

Lunar15

Personally, I'd rather have it removed, but I think with Awakening's popularity they'll leave it in. I'm fine if they just refine it a bit. It got too ridiculous in Awakening.

The next game needs, before anything else, good / great level design. I'm still baffled by how terrible the level design is in Awakening.

This. So much this. The maps were really terrible.

They should just have Second Seals move you laterally across classes, so that you can't continually reset your levels.
That's enough to balance it, really, and maybe postgame gives you the old level-resetting version of Second Seals?

Radiant Dawn had the best maps overall #truthfact

mihon

They should just have Second Seals move you laterally across classes, so that you can't continually reset your levels.
That's enough to balance it, really, and maybe postgame gives you the old level-resetting version of Second Seals?

Radiant Dawn had the best maps overall #truthfact

While Radiant Dawn had good level design, Thracia 776 maps are on another level. That game is so far ahead in level design in the whole FE series and SRPG genre that is not even funny. The only other game that comes somewhat close is Berwick Saga, which incidentally, was also designed by Shozou Kaga.

a direct gameplay copy of Awakening with better maps and a "no grinding mode" option as a difficulty setting would be enough to make the next fe my game of the year.

I don't remember Path of Radiance's chapter 11 being so hard....(Granted it is hardmode)

Zihark gets killed too often.

Nephenne with a forged Iron Lance showing why she's OP though.

Finishing PoR and starting RD, it would have been so much better if supports could have been unlocked more freely in PoR as to fill out more of the lore, flesh out characters and build anticipation for a sequel. Maybe not limit support convo numbers.

Instead I was confused 1st time through Radiant Dawn and only began appreciating it much later after reading wikis, which was after I sold it. If I had known all that stuff about Branded beforehand man.

Such a shame.

EDIT:By the way, what made them just totally gut how supports worked in Radiant Dawn?

Lunar15

Finishing PoR and starting RD, it would have been so much better if supports could have been unlocked more freely in PoR as to fill out more of the lore, flesh out characters and build anticipation for a sequel. Maybe not limit support convo numbers.

Instead I was confused 1st time through Radiant Dawn and only began appreciating it much later after reading wikis, which was after I sold it. If I had known all that stuff about Branded beforehand man.

Such a shame.

EDIT:By the way, what made them just totally gut how supports worked in Radiant Dawn?

Not sure, but I think they probably did it due to how splintered that game is. You get a serious number of units in that game, some of which you don't even have for nearly half of the game. RD is a totally nonsensical game with great level design and is a pretty stellar follow up to the story in PoR. However... in terms of gameplay it's just all over the place due to everything that's going on.

RiggyRob

Such a shame.

Path of Radiance had pretty much the ideal support conversation setup for me - you don't have to put units adjacent like in the previous games, you only have to bring them into battle with each other. Having unlimited supports in Awakening was great though.

Like the guy above me said, it's because you teleport to using different units across the game and they're not all in one place and usable until Part 4.

Levyne

Banned
I actually kind of like having limited supports, gives you a reason to replay stuff, and doesn't allow you to just grind out supporting everybody with eveybody

Lunar15

Plus PoR had base convos and base convos are something that should be standard in the series by now.

PoR was really open and expansive with its lore, and that's why I'll always love the Tellius series the most. It's set a high standard for me. I just never got as into the worlds of the other games.

Gestahl

Plus PoR had base convos and base convos are something that should be standard in the series by now.

Considering FE12 even had them I figured that was the case at this point, but I guess Fire Emblem Madlibs: Awakening had a different idea in mind. The little strategy convos with Jeigan may have been unnecessary or redundant in some cases but they really fleshed out a game that needed it.

Lunar15

So if you could get one FE character into smash as an assist trophy, who would you want? Not playable character mind you, just an AT. I think that's our best shot to get more obscure characters in there.

Personally, I think Soren would be a fantastic AT, but any Manakete would work pretty well too.

RiggyRob

So if you could get one FE character into smash as an assist trophy, who would you want? Not playable character mind you, just an AT. I think that's our best shot to get more obscure characters in there.

Personally, I think Soren would be a fantastic AT, but any Manakete would work pretty well too.

ME
I think stage hazard might be more likely though

kswiston

Sure, it adds replayability. Even better if they are recruited in different routes, a la Thracia 776.

I hope that for the next game they don't do a direct sequel to Awakening, but considering its sales.... :(

I know this comment is a bit old now, but Sacred Stones was the only game in a new setting that didn't receive a sequel/prequel. I think it would be odd if they didn't follow-up their most popular entry with a direct sequel/prequel after pretty much every new setting received one.

Why did they decide to not have Ike on the cover of Radiant dawn I will not know.

I mean he had the Smash appearance. Instead we get one of the worst Fire Emblem boxarts. Was he like supposed to be a surprise or something? And they didn't want to spoil it by having Ike mentioned in reviews and all that? Cause that must have backfired a bit.

As for classes, I loved the 3rd tier names. Sounded epic. Awakening's freely reclassing gave the characters less of an identity somehow.

I want RD's 3-tier system and a combination of FE11/12/13 reclassing, where each character has a set number of classes and can't reset levels
and branching promotions, I wanna see how creative IS can get with 3rd tier class names

Codeblue

Why did they decide to not have Ike on the cover of Radiant dawn I will not know.

I mean he had the Smash appearance. Instead we get one of the worst Fire Emblem boxarts. Was he like supposed to be a surprise or something? And they didn't want to spoil it by having Ike mentioned in reviews and all that? Cause that must have backfired a bit.

As for classes, I loved the 3rd tier names. Sounded epic. Awakening's freely reclassing gave the characters less of an identity somehow.

Smash came out well after RD, and Ike was on the Club Nintendo insert in the box so I don't think he was supposed to be a surprise.

No clue why he didn't make it to the front of the box though.

Code_Link

Wow, I just beat Fire Emblem: Awakening and the content keeps coming and coming. More bonus maps and I haven't even touched the downloadable content.

Such a great game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Jolly God I bought all the DLC contents for FE:A and I haven't even touched some of the last ones yet............................................

Seriously though, if they release a FE game for WiiU and confirming it to come to the west, I will buy WiiU IMMEDIATELY.

Path of Radiance's epilogue does a really bad job at teasing for Radiant Dawn. Just saying.

At least they should have showed the Black Knight Alive and saying stuff like "Hmph, the child from back then has grown. I shall see the true Gawain's swordmanship yet, yadda yadda"

Sephiran's ramblings at the end do absolutely nothing.

The credits music is pretty damn good though.

What are the chances of seeing an HD Tellius collection?

If hd editions of any kind are shown at e3, I'm going to continue holding out for it. If no mention of further hd editions is made, I'm saying screw it and ordering a copy of radiant dawn.

And I guess por too because IDK where my disk is and never beat it.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn both sold poorly, so I'd be really surprised if we saw a HD collection anytime soon...which is an absolute crime.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn both sold poorly, so I'd be really surprised if we saw a HD collection anytime soon...which is an absolute crime.

Hmmm...... maybe if they throw in a permadeath toggle option in the remake they can get some of the new fire emblem awakening fans who would find permadeath needlessly stressful.

RiggyRob

Hmmm...... maybe if they throw in a permadeath toggle option in the remake they can get some of the new fire emblem awakening fans who would find permadeath needlessly stressful.

They'd also need to tone down the difficulty anyway, didn't the EU/US have the JP Normal, Hard and Lunatic modes as Easy, Normal and Hard?

That said, a HD collection of the Tellius series would be fantastic.

Lunar15

They'd also need to tone down the difficulty anyway, didn't the EU/US have the JP Normal, Hard and Lunatic modes as Easy, Normal and Hard?

Nah, I'd much prefer a 3DS port of the two games. The problem with the Tellius series is that FE really lends itself more to portable gaming.

Too hard?
Fuck that, give me a Lunatic Mode.
(also PoR had the opposite, it took out Maniac Mode)

FE9 removed Mania and added Easy. There's no Mania in the US version.

FE10 renamed the difficulties but didn't remove or add any, with some slight tweaks to make it easier overall.

FE9 removed Mania and added Easy. There's no Mania in the US version.

FE10 renamed the difficulties but didn't remove or add any, with some slight tweaks to make it easier overall.

yeah, but for FE10 it would have been nice to have:
1) the extra dialogue that for some reason was cut from the harder modes
2) Master Crown requirement for 3rd tier promotions (makes it more limited)
3) the forging point system so you can't spam forges lategame

however, the remaining changes were for the better (seriously, Japanese version Edward sucks)

also, all changes here:
http://www.serenesforest.net/general/local3.html#fe10

(note to self: www.[I]serene[/I]forest.net is not the site you are looking for)

Top Bottom