• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Awakening spoilers:
On the back of Grima would be the obvious choice.

but that's for the Ridley stage :p

edit:

1. Nephenee
2. Hector
3. Cordelia
4. Fin
5. Stefan
6. Soren
7. Ephraim
8. Mia
9. Tharja
10. Haar
11. The Black Knight
12. Dozla

I know several of you that posted from the last time haven't submitted their own characters

RELAYER

Banned
Fire Emblem 6 chapter 21 is utter bullshit.

There are literally over 100 enemy units. The entire premise relies upon your units being dodgy as fuck while waves upon waves of wyvern lords with silver lances come swarming from the heavens.

Fuck Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem 6 chapter 21 is utter bullshit.

There are literally over 100 enemy units. The entire premise relies upon your units being dodgy as fuck while waves upon waves of wyvern lords with silver lances come swarming from the heavens.

Fuck Fire Emblem.

ah, my favorite chapter!

RELAYER

Banned
The shit thing is that my units ARE dodgy as fuck.
Lilina with top level support with Roy, with Air Calibur, level 14 sage?

BEAST.

But it inevitably happens. 40 minutes into the goddamn mission someone is gonna bite the dust. Every fucking time.

I've been on this chapter for weeks.
It's starting to make me think the entire "strategy" element is a farce and it's turning me off Fire Emblem for good.

Fire Emblem has hurt me and now I wish to hurt it back.

Lunar15

The shit thing is that my units ARE dodgy as fuck.
Lilina with top level support with Roy, with Air Calibur, level 14 sage?

BEAST.

But it inevitably happens. 40 minutes into the goddamn mission someone is gonna bite the dust. Every fucking time.

I've been on this chapter for weeks.
I'm starting to make me thing the entire "strategy" element is a farce and it's turning me off Fire Emblem for good.

Fire Emblem has hurt me and now I wish to hurt it back.

Wait, is this the first Fire Emblem you've ever played?

RELAYER

Banned
No I'm just mad at Clarine for taking a lance to the face when in the past 50 tries she sat in the woods and dodged an entire army of wyvern guys for like 15 turns.
In fact she killed so many that I loaded up her inventory with fire spells this time specifically because she always used to run out.

Clarine, the Goddess of Dodging Everyfrickingthing getting hit? on a Forest space? You must have angered the Random Number Goddess somehow.

Levyne

Banned
So guys. I'm finally going to play Genealogy of the Holy War. I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and I decided that the game sees too much praise to simply go ignored. Especially when we are between releases anyways and are waiting for any sort of FE news!

I playing blind. I know very little about the game. I may miss items or gaiden chapters or characters or whatever, but no fun looking it all up! I thought I'd share my adventure here, because why not? I will tell my tale of visiting this game, giving a post per map. Now, the maps are pretty big, so...so will the posts. I hope they are interesting enough to read, though.

This is an old game so I'm not going to be too mindful of spoilers....I hope that is all right.

2JDkH5bl.jpg

I assume that says "Fire Emblem" or "Holy War" or something along those lines!

Episode 1: An Unexpected Abduction

So. Politics! Grandbell seems somewhat like the Lycian League, a collection of city-states of sorts. They are a country in the middle of an unnamed (I think) continent, which was founded by an old hero whose name was mentioned but now I forget. The game went through some history of the various countries but I'm not really taking notes to see who's in charge of it all. I'm expecting that important history will be repeated as it becomes relevant. However, the neighboring state of Verdane is not playing nice! Some doofus son of King Batou is attacking the fringe castle of Jungby and has abducted lady Aideen! Sigurd is NOT going to stand for that! Coming from castle Chalpy, Sigurd and a tiny group of knights goes to Jungby's aid.

So I start out with lord Sigurd, two cavaliers names Noish and Alec, and a armor sword knight guy named Ardan. I find myself surprised that neither cavalier comes with a lance. Ardan decides to stay behind to protect the castle while the three knights decide to take on the invading Verdane force all by themselves! Apparently attacking twice is also a skill now instead of being based on speed? Well anyways, most everything else seems familiar. Sigurd does not fuck around either, ignores the weapon triangle and stabs the first brigand he sees in his heart. No fucks! Unfortunately, Ardan staying behind ends up finding no foes to fight, and later learns that he should have left the castle unattended because it was seemingly not in any danger. No exp for him, drats.

Luckily, Sigurd seems like a popular guy! Immediately, he is joined by the Fire Mage Azel and his keeper Lex, an axe knight. On the other side of the battlefield comes the Duke Knight (what) Cuan and his lover/wife Ethlin, the Troubadour. There is also a Lance knight named Fin, who we really aren't given a lot of information about. Seems like he's kind of come to the wrong battle, surrounded by axes and all. Ethlin seems to be Sigurd's sister, so clearly she doesn't want to see him get hurt. We learn Azel is the half brother of Alvis, who is a general of some sort for Grandbell. Azel has snuck out to help Sigurd, with the support of Lex. Midir, the mounted archer, ]falls in battle trying to protect the castle against Dimaggio.

Seriously, what is a duke knight?

I love mage characters! Seeing Azel on the map was a little weird, surrounded by so many various mounted units. I tried to give him some action despite not having the movement of any of the units on horseback. So obviously, he's the first to get a level up. Brigands are destroying nearby villages too! I'm happy to see that they don't die in one hit because so many start being attacked very early on, and on the other side of the map. Luckily, mounted units can get to their aid in a hurry. It seems that the gold reward from each depends of the health of the village by the time you get to them and save them. I didn't really receive many other rewards to my memory, which is kind of lame.

So, brigand after brigand throw themselves at Sigurd army, often missing and not being much of a challenge. One almost gets a surprise killing blow on Azel, but he manages to dodge and kill the attacker in retaliation. Based RNG gods. It isn't long before Jungby is surrounded by Sigurd's units. Of course, I allow Azel to get the final blow on the invader. Dimaggio didn't stand a chance. We learn that Midir is actually okay, and joins up ready to help. Another mounted unit! Happy to have another unit with some ranged abilities, too. I also get a Speed ring from the nearby village, which I don't know how to equip. I keep it on Sigurd.

To my knowledge, Lex and Sigurd are not related, despite appearances. Midir is back on her feet, and of course I let Ethlin heal everyone even if they only need 1 hp. I hope I can buy more heal staves soon! I also learn that she has a slim sword but I never used her in battle. I start moving my units to the only other castle on the map, using the nearby churches to help speed along the healing of my units, making sure to keep soft units like the magic users in back or protected by the cover of the various defense boosting terrain.

Wow. Alvis is here! He comes with the mighty FFlame spell and some badass stats! I bet it's twice as powerful as the lowly Flame spell, with one 'F'. He is already level 25, and is also a Sage (which I presume is a promoted Mage). For some reason or another, I doubt I can recruit him here and now. Over at Evans castle on the Verdane border, Gerral (? I forget the actual name, doesn't really matter) is pissed and sends out a wave of troops to meet Sigurd's forces. Luckily, they are somewhat corralled by a river with a single bridge (which they took out and later rebuilt, dumbasses) which neatly funneled them into the pointy objects that awaited in the hands on my army on the other side.

The warriors of Evans are not the smartest ever. When I expected they would focus on a single unit or at least attack those not in cover of terrain, they instead seems to behave rather randomly. They never ganged up on my mage or troubadour, and the bow guy attacked my bow knight instead of finding someone unable to retaliate. Dummy. They deserved to lose this fight. Meanwhile, Sigurd greets Alvis (he was too high a level and left his units to get some exp), and the crimson haired sage gives him a Silver Sword, which is conveniant. Meanwhile, I learn Ethlin is able to "Give" something to Cuan. I'm not actually sure what that did.

Upon taking the castle, Oifaye, a young page of sorts that I forget was tailing Sigurd, somewhere and somehow, tells Sigurd that Aideen is nowhere to be found. Sigurd also receives of promotion to Holy Knight. Woah! But now Sigurd finds himself squatting in a Verdane castle, where King Batou and his three sons have become aggressive to the people of Grandbell. I assume that all of these guys are all going to stand in Sigurd's way as he searches for the lady Aideen. But in true Fire Emblem fashion, I also assume some higher power is actually pulling the strings..

Next Episode: Into the Verdane Forests

RiggyRob

So guys. I'm finally going to play Genealogy of the Holy War. I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and I decided that the game sees too much praise to simply go ignored. Especially when we are between releases anyways and are waiting for any sort of FE news!

I playing blind. I know very little about the game. I may miss items or gaiden chapters or characters or whatever, but no fun looking it all up! I thought I'd share my adventure here, because why not? I will tell my tale of visiting this game, giving a post per map. Now, the maps are pretty big, so...so will the posts. I hope they are interesting enough to read, though.

This is an old game so I'm not going to be too mindful of spoilers....I hope that is all right.

This is cool, keep it up! I never played Genealogy of the Holy War (and I probably never will unless there's an official English release). Also, Sword Knights, Axe Knights and Duke Knights?

Levyne

Banned
This is cool, keep it up! I never played Genealogy of the Holy War (and I probably never will unless there's an official English release). Also, Sword Knights, Axe Knights and Duke Knights?

Ha thanks. I'm happy to do it even if only one person cares.

Anyways, I was planning on doing one "episode" a chapter but NOPE. Chapter 1 is incredibly long! I found a good stopping point and will split the chapter into two entries (or more?) Putting the post together now...

Lunar15

Ha thanks. I'm happy to do it even if only one person cares.

Anyways, I was planning on doing one "episode" a chapter but NOPE. Chapter 1 is incredibly long! I found a good stopping point and will split the chapter into two entries (or more?) Putting the post together now...

Do you know anything about this game's story? Because if not... hooo boy.

Levyne

Banned
So Gandolf, Jamka, and Kinbois, the three sons of Verdane's King Batou, are attacking Sigurd's units on multiple fronts. The previously peaceful King seems to have given up the ruse that his nation is anything more than a bunch of bloodthirsty barbarians. These great looking guys are up to no good. Will Sigurd find the missing lady Aideen and learn why she was kidnapped in the first place?

While deep into Verdane territory, Sigurd seems to be close friends of Eltshan, who seems to be some other noble or knight from the nearby castle of Nodion. He doesn't join up, but it's good to know someone seems to have Sigurd's back. Meanwhile, Kinbois seems to be blackmailing the Myrmidon Aira for her services by holding her brother Shanan hostage within Genoa castle. However, she also seems to have some personal grudges against the people of Grandbell as well. She's an enemy unit with a portrait, and the first (and only) Myrmidon faced so far. This seems super familiar, can you say "recruitable character"?! So many names and allegiances, it's a little hard to keep track of it all, to be honest. I'm taking some notes but there's a lot of specifics that I'm not really keeping track of, such as many character's who have been mentioned but have not made an appearance.

So, my first foray into the castle gameplay. Some neat things here. The way the arena works is so different compared to what I am used to. There seems to be a set list of competitors that each unit faces. I was able to get Sigurd to clear the arena (thanks to Alvis' Silver Sword) but people like Azel couldn't get past the first or second round. I see Anna is in charge of storing items in this one, but I'm not really in need of those services at the moment. The item shop only has a handful of things and I clear them out pretty easily. I give a javelin to Sigurd, a Steel Axe to Lex, and a few other things that I'm forgetting at the moment. I also learn through the arena use here that every unit has their own personal gold amount. Weird! Anyways, outside of getting a Heal repaired for Ethlin, none of the other units really found themselves short on gold or needing much in the way of services provided.

So, back to the map. The next castle seems to be Genoa. Aira stands outside while Kinbois sends more brigands up to meet my army. The castle itself is run by a nameless captain, with Aira's brother Shanan presumably inside. Meanwhile, Alec goes west to learn from one of Eltshan's men that they have things under control on that front. So he ends up having to turn around anyways. Meanwhile, a talk between Cuan and Fin (remember, they joined up together in the previous chapter) shows that Fin is loyal to his lord and he actually got a few stat ups from the conversation. This is actually pretty cool. The flavor of the random extra dialogue is neat enough, but the small boost to his stats actually may have played a crucial role later into the battle. At least the game menus make it easy to see who can talk to who so I can at least see most such conversations.

Over at the NEXT NEXT castle (Marpha) we learn that the youngest, nicest looking son of King Batou, the prince Jamka is actually not a bad person and is letting Aideen escape. She is also joined by the thief Dew, who we don't seemingly know anything about. It doesn't seem like Aideen really knows him but I'm not entirely sure. They are being chased by a bunch of brigands, and neither is very useful in a fight. I have to let the nearby village go unguarded for now; I don't have time to have someone stop by. The duo begin to rush over to Sigurd's location.

Literally "Us" against "Them". A lot of factions at play here. Meanwhile, my units carefully begin to dispatch Kinbois' men while Aira insists she's ready to kill any Grandbellian invader that approaches her. I move Sigurd towards her and the castle, ready to recruit. He has a silver sword and is a pretty good level so I'm not too worried about his safety. I'm worried about the safety of his foes. I'm able to easily rescue the nearby village for some gold and use the combined efforts of my troops to safely dispatch the enemies one by one. I quickly learn that Cuan is one of my favorite units at this point. Even though he uses lances, his high strength makes him incredibly useful since he he able to take out enemies so that they aren't able to focus down any of the squishier units. I learn that Noish is one of my least favorites since he doesn't get to attack twice, and doesn't seem to excel anywhere. Ardan stays at the castle, I feel like I'm not going to be able to use him much. Midir has a few close calls but manages to make it out alive. Surprisingly, the troubador Ethlin seems to be able to hold her own when it comes to staying alive. Being able to hold the weapon triangle advantage against the axe-wielding foes certainly helps.

Whhhaaat. Sigurd doesn't have a Talk option for Aira D:. I must have to save Shanan from the castle first. These darn recruitable enemies always have to make things so difficult. At least she's not sporting a killing edge. So Sigurd moves past to take on the castle keeper while I move Fin into position to hopefully survive an encounter against Aira. I figure having the weapon triangle advantage will certainly help, no? Remember, Fin is a Lance Knight. Well holy moly. Aira already knows Astra and isn't afraid to use it. On top of that she attacks Fin twice. She Astra's twice. GEEZ. Fin is able to dodge four on the five Astra swings in each occurrence and manages to survive with 2 health. Things not looking so good though, as he still has the angry Myrmidon and her friends sitting right in front of him. Will Sigurd be able to calm her down in time? Fin hasn't been a great character so far, but he got lucky here.

Sigurd easily dispatches the castle keeper (some nameless guy) and Oifaye (does he right on the same horse or something?) finds the imprisoned Shanan, Shanan informs them that the crazy lady outside is his aunt (not his sister, oops). She's having her way with Fin, and things generally don't look good. Luckily, and to my surprise, taking the castle makes her help disappear, which makes things more manageable. The exp from killing them would have been nice, but in this situation I think the best outcome occured. Sigurd goes out and convinces her that fighting them is not in her best interest. She joins up and becomes an ally. Fin retreats to go get healed, and the new comrades find themselves staring down a bunch of new foes, the ones that were initially chasing Dew and Aideen. They seem to have lost track of the runaways and have their eyes set on the pair outside of Genoa castle now. Uh oh. Things are not looking great!

Meanwhile, Kinbois doesn't seem to have his head on straight, confusing what is clearly a lance for a sword. Cuan dispatches him easily with a little help. Told you he was becoming a favorite unit. Things get dicey down south, a few close calls for Aira and Sigurd, but luckily none of the attackers had a great chance to ever hit them. Kinbois dropped a Hand Axe, which I would love to give from Cuan to Lex, but I seem to only be able to do that at a castle. Dew and Aideen manage to meet up with the rest of my units up north, Aideen gets a Warp staff and Ethlin receives a Return from Aideen. A few other conversations take place. Genoa ends up destroyed by one of the brigands as Sigurd and Aira barely survive the initial assault. Hopefully Shanan is okay, but I don't really know.

As if things weren't bad enough, it seems that some Heirhein (??) knight named Elliot is going to try to sneak in the back door and take back Evans. No honor, and no shame. Ardan, the forgotten armor sword, seems like a capable guy but I feel like he's not going to be able to defend the place on his own. I being to split my forces and send some back to defend the keep. Eltshan decides to go out to help, and we are also introduced to his sister (?) Lachesis. A bunch of green npc Crossknights fill the screen to take on the new enemy Lanceknights. Eltshan leads the charge. What a bro!

Well, that was uneventful. The units that I sent up to help Eltshan don't even make it in time as he wipes the floor with the sneak attackers. I'm not sure they even had a casualty. They (well, really only Elliot, I'm unsure who he is talking to since h'es the only one left) promptly retreat. The units that I sent turn around again to head south to help Aira and Sigurd and company, where I should have sent them all along. I learn that I could have used the Warp staff to move some units to Genoa, and maybe could have prevented its destruction. Oh well.

Aira and Sigurd wipe up the rest of the remaining Marpha attackers, and I start moving my forces west. The village that I ignored so long ago with Dew and Aideen wasn't going to last much longer and I wanted to save it! I play out some of the conversations, including Aideen and Sigurd talking about the missing Brigid and we learn a little more about the assassinated Prince Maricle, Shanan's father, as well. I finally get a chance to get people to heal up and group units together. I'm able to "Give" a few times between a couple units and I'm still not 100% sure what that does. I make sure to give Aideen as many uses of the Mend as she can, since it seems to be her only way to get exp at the moment. Units like Aira and Fin and also Midir get back to full strength after suffering some damage in the last encounter.

Sigurd manages to make it to the nearly destroyed village near Marpha castle in time. We get a small amount of gold but even more important than that, we learn about the mysterious Sandima who seems to be behind King Batou's recent unexplained acts of aggression. Surprise! My refreshed units duke it out near the village, putting Aira in some forest cover really befuddled the attacking troops who could barely hit her. Even the Thief Dew got in on the action. It's interesting that he can steal gold from the encounters. The fact that he also seems to get a discount at shops seems to be incentive for having him do this sometimes: build up some gold, have him buy shop items, and then trade to people who actually need them. However, I am near certain he cannot promote, and I assume his battle usefulness will be limited. I didn't see any swipeable items from the enemy units either.

Gandalf Gandolf, of course, isn't too happy about how things have gone. I try to attack him with Alec and Aira but his high defense means he is able to survive those attacks. So naturally, I try to get a hit in with my only offensive magic user, and see an Azel specific dialogue. Kind of neat. Azel, of course, gets the final blow. Only one brother (the nice one, Jamka) remains. I learn that I can enter this castle and that the shop and Arena status seems to be consistent from castle to castle within a chapter? I don't feel so bad about losing Genoa, now. I actually thought that taking this castle would be the end of the level. NOPE. More shit goes down! Gandolf dropped a Skill ring for me, by the way!

Inside the castle, we meet some Shaman lady of sorts names Deirdre. Sigurd seems a bit infatuated with her from the get go, but she runs off before speaking to him for very long. We learn that she is religiously forbidden from interacting with many people so of course that will turn Sigurd away. Why does the old man gotta crush our dreams.

Story begins to get a bit heavy. Jamka reluctantly goes out to defend the last remaining castle on the map (I hope) at the order of his father. However, Ephidel the sorceror Sandima decides that Batou has outlived his usefulness and decides it's time he gives up the ghost. We are then introduced to Nergal Archbishop Manfloy, who is the real big bad. We learn that he and Sandima are searching for the daughter of Sigyn, who is needed to awaken the Dark Lord. Dun Dun duuun. The last remaining troops head out of the castle led by Jamka and Sandima sits on the keep itself. Sigurd and company don't have time to rest up and chase after mysterious pretty ladies and must make their way north in order to nip this whole problem in the bud.

RELAYER

Banned
It's funny that you say that because I reset for Clarine a bunch because she was one of my best and favorite units. Then she died on my last attempt and I was just like "fuck it".

Then a few turns later that prince guy died and I was like "fuck it"

Chapter 21 complete.

2 of my guys for like 200 of theirs. Not a bad attrition rate.

That chapter is so stupid. When I seized the throne, Sue was by herself up north stuck in a forest with like 12 Wyvern guys around her.

Clarine was dumb anyways. I was raising her to be my light magic user, and then I promote her and she can't even use it!

Iron Man runs of Fire Emblem are really fun, in a masochistic sort of way. Units become even more beloved if their death is really REALLY permanent, instead of "Oopsies, reset time" permanent.

Having said that, I'll be sure to have a moment of silence for the death of Clarine, the most badass dodge-tank to have ever lived.

Concerning Levyne's blind playthrough of Fire Emblem 4, aka my favorite game in the series...

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

I'll be subscribing to this thread and watching this. Considering my avatar, I'm pretty much obligated to.

Levyne, I know you want to keep the story and scenarios blind, but do you want any of the gameplay stuff explained out, or will you figure it out as you go along?

RELAYER

Banned
Um..

I just beat Chapter 22, saved, and it went straight to the Epilogue.
I did every gaiden chapter and got the weapons.
Sue used up the special bow in the last chapter though is the only thing I can think of.

So now I can't get the extra chapters and the game tricked me into saving so there is no way to go back.

I'm out.

No wonder this shit never got localized. Fuck this game.

That would be why relayer. IIRC, you have to have every Divine Weapon in your possession by that point, aka you can't have used them up completely. Personally I never beat FE6, I stalled out in Sacae. I really should do that one of these days.

Levyne

Banned
I

Levyne, I know you want to keep the story and scenarios blind, but do you want any of the gameplay stuff explained out, or will you figure it out as you go along?

Um. Maybe you can drop a little bit here or there but don't go too far. For instance, I know this game has a bloodline mechanic and I see that some of the characters have glowing symbols near some of the heroes/weapons on their information screens but I haven't payed much attention to them.

I was going to ask about that "give" command, but now that I think about it, it's probably gold shifting hands, right? I seem to be able to do it between the Cuan/Ethlin pair so far but I've seen it a couple other times.

Which reminds me, I should probably start thinking about supports. I would guess that they work like the gba games (immediate proximity) but I don't really know.

Um..

I just beat Chapter 22, saved, and it went straight to the Epilogue.
I did every gaiden chapter and got the weapons.
Sue used up the special bow in the last chapter though is the only thing I can think of.

So now I can't get the extra chapters and the game tricked me into saving so there is no way to go back.

I'm out.

No wonder this shit never got localized. Fuck this game.

If you have cheat codes you can remedy the problem. Just add in the bow again.

Funny thing, it took me about 7 playthroughs before I even figured out there were extra chapters. My Japanese sucked and I always took ages in chapters so never got the extra legendary weapons.

Um. Maybe you can drop a little bit here or there but don't go too far. For instance, I know this game has a bloodline mechanic and I see that some of the characters have glowing symbols near some of the heroes/weapons on their information screens but I haven't played much attention to them.

I was going to ask about that "give" command, but now that I think about it, it's probably gold shifting hands, right? I seem to be able to do it between the Cuan/Ethlin pair so far but I've seen it a couple other times.

Which reminds me, I should probably start thinking about supports. I would guess that they work like the gba games (immediate proximity) but I don't really know.

1. Concerning the symbols on the stat screen, that does indeed have to do with the characters bloodlines and their relations to the heroes of the backstory in the game. If you keep an eye on the plot, you'll notice a correlation between the characters and their bloodlines. For instance, Sigurd and his sister Ethlin are both descendants of the hero Baldo, which is why the circle next to Baldo's name and weapon is lit for them.

74-Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu__J__00068.png

Some descendants are considered to have "Major" blood, which basically means they inherited more of that hero of yore's power. Sigurd is an example of this, and that's why his lit circle shines brighter than Ethlin's (kind of hard to see in a still image, but notice the halo around his circle.)

4-Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu__J__00030.png

2. Concerning the 'Give' command, you're correct about it a mechanic for giving money. As I'm sure you noticed by now, characters in this game have their own individual purses of money (unlike most FE games where all money is in a collective pot). 'Give' lets you give all of your cash to the recipient. In order to Give money, you have to be married to the recipient, (like Cuan/Ethlin), or a thief (like Dew). Thieves get +10 exp for giving their cash up and can give to anyone. There's a third way to give money, but you aren't at that point of the game yet.

3. This game actually doesn't have a traditional support system, but characters standing next to each other does have other benefits...

Levyne

Banned
Ah neat, thanks for the clarifications.

. In order to Give money, you have to be married to the recipient, (like Cuan/Ethlin), or a thief (like Dew). Thieves get +10 exp for giving their cash up and can give to anyone. There's a third way to give money, but you aren't at that point of the game yet....

Ah, makes sense. I was wondering why Dew could seemingly give more often.

No prob. One more thing, since you mentioned it earlier.

I miss being able to trade and rescue :(

You actually CAN trade items, kinda. When you sell items to the Pawn Shop, they stay there and you can buy them again with another character. This carry's over from shop to shop, so feel free to do it whenever you feel that someone's holding a weapon or ring or whatever that would better benefit someone else.

No rescuing though :( That mechanic didn't come until the next game, Thracia 776.

Levyne

Banned
All right. Finished up Chapter 1 (finally). Obviously since I'm just topping off the chapter this post will be (a little) shorter and more story heavy. Hopefully that's not too boring for people that already know what happens :( I'll try to keep things interesting, but no guarantees.

So, as we left off, Jamka, the last of King Batou's sons, and Sandima, the evil sorcerer sqautting in Verdane castle, both have a regime of troops awaiting Sigurd's arrival. Both seem to appreciate symmetry with their troop layout, which is always appreciated. Jamka's brigands squeeze themselves through the narrow forest path towards my troops. I try to keep a good number of my sword users in front for obvious reasons. Everyone's movement speeds are highly limited which means this takes a while as I let them all come to me. Jamka has a Killer Bow, and I learn that he has the potential to attack 3 times with 2 skills (!!!). Because of this, I plan to try to get a quick unit like Aira out in front to limit the chance of a triple attack or critical.

Meanwhile, we learn about the history of these woods by visiting the village nearby. Sigyn had a child of sort in these woods, presumably the same needed to revive the Dark Lord. Probably Deirdre the Shaman. I slowly whittle down the axe wielding units, Jamka attacks Alec a couple times (oops) but he manages to survive. I'm learning that I kind of find Alec, Noish, and Fin to be useless, though it could just be that I'm hating fighting in the woods. Getting to have a lot of units and need to start paring down at some point. And Fin did have the epic showdown (...barely survived) against Aira earlier. Well anyways, none of those people played much of a role in the back half of this chapter.

I manage to pin Jamka in a corner, dumbass. I anticipate that he is also recruitable, seeing that he was reluctant to fight and let Aideen and Dew escape. However, Sigurd doesn't have a talk option! Luckily, pinned in a corner, he's not able to do anything so I'm able to clear the rest of the units without having to worry about him using his killer bow. I'm then able to systematically place units near him to see if anyone can Talk, but of course the person I try is Aideen. I mean, no one else (Dew?) would really make sense.

So yep, Aideen is able to recruit him! There are two brigands sitting in the thicket that slowly approach me, but I'm not too concerned since they can't double attack nor are they strong enough to one hit anyone nor are they in a position to gang up on anyone. I slowly (very slowly) move my units through the choke point toward Sandima and his archers. During the process I heal up my units and try to get ranged units in front, such as the Javelin users Sigurd and Cuan, as well and my archers Jamka and Midir. Aira too, because why not.

I slowly start to place units just outside the range of the archers while moving the units up. When Sigurd passes through the choke, however, Deirdre shows herself! Sigurd seems as infatuated with her as ever. She mentions being able to silence Sandima, and also comes with the Aura spell as well as a ring that seems to heal her every turn. Very nice. Lots of new recruits, and finally nice to diversify the army a little bit from so many mounted units. And having another offensive magic user is always nice.

I immediately check Sandima's range and I'm glad I did, didn't realize he had a long range spell! Silence is able to neutralize him for 4 turns, so of course I do that an then work on taking out the archers. Aura seems really powerful! And it helps that many of these units do not have much in the way of magic defense, so Azel has some fun around here as well.

Again, the units seem a little unorganized. Very little "ganging up" is done, and a lot of the archers just take pot shots at some of my units at random, either missing or merely scratching my units. I was worried that Azel or Deirdre might be in trouble, but I don't believe anyone went below half health. It could be that I kind of stretched the archers out and they could only select the one or two units within each of their ranges. On my turn, I'm able to carefully take them out one by one, abusing the fact that they aren't able to retaliate up close. The fact that Sandima is silenced kind of just makes him free exp, but I'm not complaining. Might as well allow Jamka to have his revenge for his father's death, right? He is able to attack 3 times and takes out the sorceror easily. Sandima drops a Magic ring, which I will probably trade to Azel when I get a chance.

We learn that Batou is not quite dead, yet. He informs Sigurd of the plan to revive the Dark Lord from a group of people called the Dark Sect, presumably led by Manfloy, who is no longer around the castle. I'm surprised Sandima didn't say anything to Deirdre when she engaged him to silence him. Is that also why they kidnapped Aideen? They seemingly don't know who they need, or who Sigyn's daughter is. I hope I didn't miss anything.

So just like that, Sigurd now controls Verdane. He also weds Deirdre, that was fast. The lords of Agustria to the north do not seemingly take this news very well, and Sigurd finds himself with new enemies. We learn that the King of Agustria, Imuka, was assassinated and his son, Shagaal, now reigns as king. One of the lords is a familiar face, the King (!) Eltshan, who isn't like the others. I assume King more means "lord" in this case.

Eltshan and his sister Lachesis discuss the assassinated of King Imuka at the hands of Shagaal. Eltshan decides to head to Agusty to confront the new King. DUN DUN DUN. I'm not sure what he plans to accomplish, and he ends up getting locked up. Well, at least he isn't dead. We learn that Shagaal is (probably) being strung along by Manfloy, and we confirm that he did kill his father in order to please the Archbishop.

Meanwhile, from castle Heirhein, Prince Elliot is up to no good again, and seems to want to get back at Eltshan and Lachesis for foiling his earlier plans. He has new troops and beings to approach Nodion. Luckily, Eltshan left his 3 most loyal knights. Eve, Eva, and Alva. to protect the castle, though we only meet Eve to start out. I haven't learned their classes yet. Sigurd, who is back at Evans castle (the border town) learns of this danger and rushes off to Lachesis' aid, who he says is like a sister to him. Will he be able to get there before Elliot does and free the imprisoned Eltshan?

Chapter 1 complete!

How are you taking to the large map sizes and other unique aspects of Geneology so far?

Oh, and the music? How's the music going for you so far? Any noteworthy songs? (You can really tell that this is my favorite in the series by now, can't you, heh)

One thing to keep in mind is that, partially due to the hugeness of the map and armies you fight, you can sortie all of your units with no limitations. So don't feel like you need to focus on a main group unless you personally want to.

Levyne

Banned
Chapter 1 complete!

How are you taking to the large map sizes and other unique aspects of Genealogy so far?

It's actually kind of neat. Even though you spend so much more time on one map, it also feels like the plot advances a lot faster in a way. It seems like I'm immediately introduced to a villain and then they die. I expected sandima to stick around longer, for instance.

Oh, and the music? How's the music going for you so far? Any noteworthy songs? (You can really tell that this is my favorite in the series by now, can't you, heh)

The music is largely what I expected so far (which is enjoyable). The recruitment theme isn't as energizing as Together We Ride or With Us, though. I'm liking the map themes so far, especially chapter 1 (not that I have a lot to choose from at the moment, haha). The battle theme for blue units is okay.

(And, yes :p)

One thing to keep in mind is that, partially due to the hugeness of the map and armies you fight, you can sortie all of your units with no limitations. So don't feel like you need to focus on a main group unless you personally want to.

Ah, that's good to hear. When I was first getting into the series (GBA games) I would always find myself stickig to a core of ~12 units. Even if the map's allotment allowed for more, I would cap myself arbitrarily. As soon as I recruited a new unit I didn't care for I would basically immediately unequip them, move them to the back, and forget about them. I didn't want them earning any exp; it would mean that I haven't "maxed" the ones I wanted to use to the greatest extent. My big fear was to "waste" exp. Starting with my second RD playthrough though, I finally found myself being less anal about min-maxing exp in such a way. The divided armies as well as having a relatively high number of "required" units for each map made such a playstyle simply not worth it. I find that I enjoy myself much more now if I use every unit available to me, cap out the map's unit allotment, and even if I recruit a character that I don't intend to "main", I figure I might as well use him for the map I get him in, right? I've stuck to this mentality when revisiting the other FE games since.

Anyways, to get to the point, it's good to hear that I'm not capped in such a way here. I will hopefully find a good use for every unit then. Except maybe Ardan since he's fallen...a bit behind, haha.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, so I'm about to start chapter 2. I have a magic ring on Jamka that I want to give to my mages. So I have to sell it too the pawn shop for 10k and buy it back out for 20k? And I guess I can't give it to Azel because he doesn't have 20k but I suppose I can give it to Deirdre since Sigurd has enough and can give the money to her. But I'm still paying a 10k tax for not killing with someone who could use the ring right away, and that's ignoring the fact that Jamka now has 10k he doesn't need and Sigurd loses 20k so it's a 10k loss plus some weird limitations on who has gold where.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental. Feels like I'm tripping over myself here.

Just be glad that having attack less than or equal to the enemies defense ==doing 1 hp damage. It helps a few units get some needed arena wins.

Levyne

Banned
Alright. First part of Chapter 2 done. I struggled a little bit here. Not on the usual enemies but the boss type characters mostly. Silver weapons hurt, man.

Oifaye does not fuck around. Rude little shit, even if he does say 'please'. While doing the usual arena fighting and item shuffling I end up running into Holyn, another Myrmidon! I was able to get Jamka to clear the arena this go round, the Killer Bow certainly helps, but did not run into Holyn, presumably because the archers see a slightly different set of units. Luckily, I was able to also get Aira through the arena and run into him. I was really surprised, I wasn't expecting the arena to be tied to recruitment at all, even though I had sort of see it before with Karla. Anyways, the first thing I notice is a bunch of villages that will likely need to be rescued. Because of this, I race a bunch of my mounted units out quickly, meaning that a lot of the units stuck on foot didn't see a ton of action in the first part of this level.

I notice the Eltshan's three knights all look pretty much the same, so there goes hope of recruiting them I think, unless they are triplets and are all recruitable, but I doubt it. I still plan to try to keep them alive, just in case it rewards me at the end. I start moving all my units west, hoping to beat Elliot to the castle. He clearly is up to no good, thinking impure thoughts and all.

We are introduced to a few other minor characters. Fatso residing in Anphony (later learned to be Macbeth) decides to send axemen out to loot the villages; of course he does! We also learn that the lord of Mackily decides to stay neutral for the while. As of writing this, his faction has not played a role yet this chapter. We also see a general with Heirhein's troops named Philip, who seems to be the last last of defense protecting Heirhein castle, where Elliot's father Baldo resides. Lots of enemies! To be honest, the types of people whose names I would not remember at all if I was not typing these summaries up. Deirdre meanwhile gives Ethlin a Light sword, which is neat. These types of interactions seem a lot more common in this game compared to the GBA ones, to my memory anyways. Always easy to check the unit window and see who should talk to whom.

I actually have to restart this little skirmish a few times. At first I tried sending in my units really quick to save the three Paladins, but Elliot's Silver Lance always ended up finding one victim or another. I learn that Eve, Eva, and Alva are all tanky enough to sustain the first wave of attacks so I eventually learn to keep my units back and let the enemy units come to me. I place one of my favorite units, Cuan within the nearby treetops to bait an attack, let's say Elliot is surprised to see us. Eventually I survive the initial wave with no casualties.

The light sword animation is pretty neat, and is able to take advantage of the lower magic resistance of many of the units. Elliot ends up being one of these units, awesome enough. But I let Cuan get the final blow on Elliot so that he can swipe his Silver Lance. No awkward pawn shop swap for that item! Meanwhile, Lachesis talks to Sigurd and joins up. She is a Princess class and can seemingly use both staves and swords. Neato.

Holyn and the others wipe up the remaining units. I end up leaving the castle unoccupied, as I don't feel it's in any danger anymore. However, I don't really have time to heal up entirely since bandits are still approaching all of the villages. At this point, my three healers Ethlin, Aideen, and now Lachesis are all on full heal duty trying to top off my units before they head out.

I notice in the unit menu that Dew can talk to Lachesis to give her a Thief sword. While I don't believe it was explicitly stated, I wouldn't be surprised if he was related to them? Otherwise the conversation seems a bit random. I have not yet been able to use the Thief sword, but I imagine that it steals gold as if she was a Thief. Unfortunately, as mentioned, she ends up spending more of her turns healing rather than fighting. I notice that the three green npcs end up staying near and protecting her, which is kind of neat. Up north, a bunch of armor knights protect Heirhein castle. I quickly step in to wipe out Philip using Ethlin and Cuan, again. Boss slayers, the couple is. However, what ends up following is pretty hectic..

You see, I wasn't expecting (nor paying attention to) the ballistae in the back, oops. Luckily, some of the foot soldiers such as Azel had finally caught up to the rest of the group and I was able to survive by the skin of my teeth, including Ethlin having 1 HP left. I end up a little saddened that I can't set Jamka on them GBA style. The armored soldiers have high health but weren't too tough in a fight, and I was able to gang up on them and limit the damage.

I learn that I cannot seemingly Talk to any of the neutral units (despite one of the factions running amok amongst the villages, lame.) Dew wasn't doing anything else anyway. Meanwhile, I learn that Jamka seems to be a good matchup with Baldo, and nearly takes him out in one turn, but not quite. He takes him out in the second go round, and Sigurd takes Castle Heirhein.

So yeah, Baldo bites the dust, but Sigurd and Oifaye decide that they have to move on to protect the villages up north.

The new Agustrian King does not take the news kindly, and chews out Macbeth for being selfish. Macbeth then calls on some mercenary (?) units led by Voltz and Beowulf. From appearances, my guess is that Beowulf is recruitable but Voltz is not; the former is more handsome, you see. Not to mention that he seems to not care much for working under Macbeth.

Meanwhile, we are introduced to the Dancer and Bard Sylvia and Levin. We learn that Sylvin likes it rough. I wasn't paying attention to see if they were a couple, friends, or siblings, or a little of this and a little of that...it is Fire Emblem..

Anyways, now I've got two units on the other side of the map. Interesting to note that they both seem to have some combat ability, which is kind of neat, even if it is limited in scope. The left path previously blocked by Anphony troops ends up becoming unblocked as the units there end up falling back towards their castle. I hope Sigurd can end up saving all of the villages in time. And what will the quiet Mackily faction end up doing ??

Chapter 2 of Geneology has one of the more popular map themes of the game. Its not my personal favorite, but it's up there.

Glad you got Holyn without much issue. He's not really difficult to get, but he is one of the more hidden characters that can join you.

Damn, the dancer in this one refreshes all adjacent units. Awesome.

Yup, Dancing manages to be even more useful than usual in this game. Kinda nice that she can defend herself too, although I'm sure you'll be giving your opinions on how proficient she is at that.

Top Bottom