• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Levyne

Banned

wtzgU.gif

Levyne

Banned
Man, after finishing Chapter 8. I've promoted Fin, Scalkaghdkjasbuasd, Lakche, and Aless as well, with Femina pretty darn close. I should probably get Serlis and Leif caught up, if they can promote. I'm assuming they can since Jr Lord is named like that and Princess (class) Lachesis could so why not Prince (class) Leif.

And I found this humorous, some guy complaining about redesigns, wondering why Nintendo (or Sakurai, whoever) didn't consult the fans before radically changing Marth's design for Smash U

Okay, so he's not familiar with the series, fair. I just found it a bit funny.

Edit: Actually I notice he linked an image of Brawl so I'm not sure where he was going with that.

Leaf's critical, for your enjoyment (this video is of Thracia, but I'm pretty certain it's the same in Geneology). Also, whatever "Defense piercing" you saw with the Light sword was likely a ranged Lightning attack. Being a magical sword, it uses your magic stat and the enemies resistance stat if used from afar.

I love all of the recolored/reused mugshots that this game has. I know it can be tedious to make pictures of every generic enemy commander, but you'd at least think Chagall or Gandolf (who are pretty important antagonists and leaders in the 1st generation) would be given the honor of unique sprites. As we can see with Muhammed, that's not so.

Levyne

Banned
Subscribed for Levyne ramblings about FE4.

\o/

Leaf's critical, for your enjoyment (this video is of Thracia, but I'm pretty certain it's the same in Geneology). Also, whatever "Defense piercing" you saw with the Light sword was likely a ranged Lightning attack. Being a magical sword, it uses your magic stat and the enemies resistance stat if used from afar.

I love all of the recolored/reused mugshots that this game has. I know it can be tedious to make pictures of every generic enemy commander, but you'd at least think Chagall or Gandolf (who are pretty important antagonists and leaders in the 1st generation) would be given the honor unique sprites. As we can see with Muhammed, that's not so.

Yeah, I stopped bothering to highlight all their names. Lots of reskins. I think what I saw was a second hit critical, sometimes I fast forward and miss stuff. I was able to recreate it.

http://i.minus.com/idARWrWi5SpeQ.gif

Edit: Oh dear at the shadows. Try to ignore that. Bit of an eyesore.

Levyne

Banned
Altenna is a beast. Not quite Jill level, though.

I've somehow turned Femina into some sort of mini flying tank :eek:, well not sky high stats but she's been surprisingly durable, and happened to run into those two rings.

dM3NTi0l.jpg

And I just now realize that people stand next to their siblings in the 2nd gen...

36BOiQMl.jpg

So.. who is Aless's sister? And Leen's brother? And Lana's bro...oh. :/

Unlike his father, Serlis can marry almost any girl in the game.

Concerning the replacement units, they aren't bad in a vacuum, especially since FE4 is a fairly easy game in the series. Femina and Hawk in particular get a pretty nice deal (Femina fills your flying niche for most of the 2nd half, and Hawk is a prepromoted Sage with awesome bases). The main thing is that units that are even somewhat paired well will almost always be better, since their growths are 100% of one parents+ 50% of another parents growths + any holy blood ties that the parents may have. For instance:

Levin!Sety growths (after the Holy bonus has been applied):
HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res
115% 20% 35% 50% 105% 30% 35% 15%

Hawk's growths:
HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res
60% 10% 20% 20% 50% 20% 20% 10%

Plus Levin!Sety learns Critical and can inherit the Holsety tome from his father.
Plus it's canon if you care about that sort of thing.

Of course, some kids can turn out pretty poorly, as we saw with Azel!Lester. Generally, since the sons get most of their growth and their weapons from their father (except Leaf and Faval who get it from their moms), they tend to be the most vulnerable from an incompatible match. Meanwhile the daughters usually have similar classes to their moms, so the worst they can turn out is as a carbon copy of their mother (although they certainly can be improved).

Levyne

Banned
Ha, I was about to make the next post. Truly holding the thread hostage.

Yeah, I had a friend tell me "the replacement units SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK" but they've been useful. I'm unsurprised that they have worse growths. Lester was really bad, yeah. And definitely see what you mean with the sons being more susceptible to being screwed up. At least the game throws some idiot (or chance)-proof units like Faval and Altenna at you with their weapons. (Edit: I guess the Ichival requires one conversation between Aideen and Brigid, iirc, next to nothing. ) Beowulf doesn't seem to have done Delmud any favors. Claude to Arthur seems average. I haven't paid a lot of attention to who inherited what, to be honest.

Except

Dew apparently had Sol, which has been awesome for Lakche and whatever her brother's name is. Seems that was a good pairing to luck into. At least relative to how some of the others turned out.

Beowulf gave the kids Pursuit (aka the most important skill in the game to be a good fighter), and Delmud got whatever swords you gave him. It's considered to be one of the best pairings for Delmud. Nanna's Magic sucks with this pairing, but honestly her magic sucks with any non-magical father.

Overall, it's a good pairing.
And again, it gets bonus points for being kindasorta canon.

Claude+Tiltyu is ok in terms of stats, but Claude has absolutely know skills, so the kids will only get Wrath. Better pairings there are with Azel (somewhat better stats, Pursuit), and Levin (somewhat better stats, but more importantly Arthur inherits the Holsety, which you can use from the very first 2nd gen chapter AND he gets a horse on promotion. Lolsety+Horse=ridiculous.

Ayra+Dew is a tough pairing to make, but not a bad one. Dew actually has really good growth rates despite the lack of holy blood, and the Sol Sword skill and Bargain doesn't hurt. Lex and Holyn are more common fathers because they're easier to make, but Dew is considered to be solid. And it's really hard to screw up Ayra's kids anyways.

Levyne

Banned
What does Lana's magic cap at? It seems fine to me, but she does out level everyone. Highest unit not counting the dancer. (No wonder Serlis fell for her.) A couple other interesting pairings have cropped up as well.

Thanks for being a good sport and giving me some ideas / hints / whatever to bounce off of. I hope it's enjoyable to some extent.

And it's really hard to screw up Ayra's kids anyways.

Rain on my parade, why don'tcha

Hi Priests apparently have a Magic cap of 27. Annoyingly, Geneology of the Holy War has Caps that are hard to be 100% sure about without looking up. The caps depend on the unit class, like FE6 and beyond (unlike FE1-5 besides Geneology, which have universal caps), yet unlike FE6 and beyond, the game doesn't have a helpful gauge or glowing number to let you know that you hit the cap.

And no problem. FE4 is one of my favorite SNES era games, so it's always nice to see other people take a crack at it.

If you wanted to know about Nanna's growth and caps, her cap for Magic is 20. Her Magic starts at 3, she gets +2 at promotion, and with Beowulf as the father she gets 5% Magic Growth (because Lachesis's Magic Growth is also 5%, and she gets 0% from her father).

one thing to note in FE4 is that the cap for a class is its base stat+15 for everything except HP, which is 80 across the board

this means if you hit your caps prior to promotion, you'll be at your cap already post-promotion
almost like Mia promoting to a Trueblade in Radiant Dawn after promoting with max defense
inb4 Levyne comments on my use of spoiler tags

But without a guide, it can still be difficult to translate that into a practical ingame number since characters will pretty much always have stats that are higher than their classes base stats.

He's right, the existence of Tiki in Awakening proves they're connected.

Then again, it is Kotaku, can't expect it to be 100% accurate. Plus, Fire Emblem BB? Surely it'd be SoS (Sword of Seals).

Binding Blade is apparently the name that Nintendo is sticking with for the game. Both Awakening and Brawl refer to the game as Binding Blade, and sites like Serenes Forest have also changed their names over to Binding Blade. I'm neutral about the name personally, but I do find myself calling it Sword of Seals sometimes because that's what the old common name was for it among fans, and that's what the patch I played called it.

Sword of Seals is a better name for the sword, Binding Blade is a better name for the game.

Also bets on who ends up with Marth at the Smash invitational?

Honestly the only reason you'd want to Dismount in FE4 is if you want to look at Serlis's more flashy crits since the horse criticals are kind of dull. Otherwise, like dakkumauji said, getting off of your horse in FE4 is silly and pointless. You get more movement AND Canto/Hit-and-run. I honestly never understood why they put that in FE4, because horses, (which are already pretty awesome perks in FE) are even more ridiculous in FE4 with its Canto, roads that lower your movement penalty, and large maps that make higher movement all the more important in determining the usefulness of a unit. It actually makes a decent counter-argument to the somewhat unpopular dismounting features in FE3 and 5 because unmounted units get a better chance to shine when indoors in those games.

Long story short, Serlis earned that horse, let him ride on.

raigeki11

Neo Member
So I'm playing Awakening and in Tiki and the avatar's B support convo, Tiki mentions how Chrom reminds her not of Marth but another ancestor who lived 1000 years before him. Any thoughts on who this might be? I'm thinking it could be Ike but there's also a chance its someone completely new that maybe we could find out about in a future game

RiggyRob

So I'm playing Awakening and in Tiki and the avatar's B support convo, Tiki mentions how Chrom reminds her not of Marth but another ancestor who lived 1000 years before him. Any thoughts on who this might be? I'm thinking it could be Ike but there's also a chance its someone completely new that maybe we could find out about in a future game

I don't think it'd be Ike, because the end-game paralogue character
Priam mentions he is the descendant of the Radiant Hero and has Ragnell (so he's pretty much Ike's descendant).

The way the support conversation reads looks like it's suggesting there's more than one Marth, specifically 'the Marth of my time' part.

Lunar15

I don't think she's referring to anyone in particular. Just saying that Chrom doesn't resemble Marth. Unless there's something in the lore of FE1/2/3 that I don't know about.

raigeki11

Neo Member
The way the support conversation reads looks like it's suggesting there's more than one Marth, specifically 'the Marth of my time' part.

What does this mean? She specifically says that the man in question is not Marth. I think the "Marth of my time" is just a figure of speech

I don't think she's referring to anyone in particular. Just saying that Chrom doesn't resemble Marth. Unless there's something in the lore of FE1/2/3 that I don't know about.

I think it is someone in particular because she says "a different ancestor, from the age I was born in. Another great man in their line, from 1000 years before Marth" and that Chrom is not like Marth because he is more direct, and Ike was known as being blunt.

RiggyRob

What does this mean? She specifically says that the man in question is not Marth. I think the "Marth of my time" is just a figure of speech

I think it is someone in particular because she says "a different ancestor, from the age I was born in. Another great man in their line, from 1000 years before Marth" and that Chrom is not like Marth because he is more direct, and Ike was known as being blunt.

Sorry, I'm being stupid - Tiki's referring to Anri, the hero that Marth is descended from, who defeated Medeus.

Edit: Here's the sentence from the support conversation you're referring to:

Tiki said:
Perhaps because Chrom is not like Marth. He is much more direct, and committed to what he believes is right. Chrom might more resemble a different ancestor, from the age I was born in. Another great man in their line, from 1000 years before Marth... But the Marth of my time was wise and fair, and won hearts with his kindness.

She's suggesting Chrom is more similar to Anri than he is to Marth. This makes sense, because Tiki is asleep at this time and is watched over by Gotoh, who helped Anri get the Falcion.

Sorry, I'm being stupid - Tiki's referring to Anri, the hero that Marth is descended from, who defeated Medeus..

That would make the most sense, but Anri existed some 100 years before Marth, not 1000 years as Tiki mentioned.

I think it'd be cool if it was Ike, Sigurd or Seliph. Too bad there isn't much to go off.

That or IS goofed up and actually meant Anri but got the timeline wrong.

RiggyRob

That would make the most sense, but Anri existed some 100 years before Marth, not 1000 years as Tiki mentioned.

I think it'd be cool if it was Ike, Sigurd or Seliph. Too bad there isn't much to go off.

That or IS goofed up and actually meant Anri but got the timeline wrong.

Where does Anri being only 100 years before Marth come from? This is what the wiki says about Marth/FE1:
Hundreds of years had passed since Medeus was slain in Akaneia. Once Medeus is resurrected, he rebuilds his land of Doluna, ready to invade Akaneia once again. After an attack from Doluna, Marth is forced into exile in the island nation of Talys and home of his childhood friend, the princess Shiida. His father, Cornelius, is killed due to a betrayal by his ally Jiol, the King of Gra and Gharnef, an evil Pontifex and a devout follower of Medeus; the sword Falchion is taken by Gharnef, and Marth's elder sister Elice is taken hostage.

With the help of the Altean knight Jagen, Shiida, Aurelian commander Hardin, Red Dragon Princess Minerva, and others, Marth embarks on a quest to defeat Medeus, reclaim the kingdom of Altea, and rescue his sister. Marth meets Nyna, the princess of Akaneia — the most prominent kingdom — who gives him her country's national treasure, the Fire Emblem. After Gharnef is defeated by one of Marth's allies, Marth obtains Falchion which he uses to defeat Medeus. Afterwards, he proposes to Shiida.

'Hundreds' at the start of the paragraph implies more than just 100 years, and indeed could go up to 1000 years. Of course it could be a typo, 100 and 1000 aren't hard to mess up, but I still think Anri is what Tiki's referring to.

raigeki11

Neo Member
Where does Anri being only 100 years before Marth come from? This is what the wiki says about Marth/FE1:

'Hundreds' at the start of the paragraph implies more than just 100 years, and indeed could go up to 1000 years. Of course it could be a typo, 100 and 1000 aren't hard to mess up, but I still think Anri is what Tiki's referring to.

during the intro to Shadow Dragon it said "100 years" explicitly, of course if its a typo it could change everything lol but I'm going under the assumption it wasn't

This is what I was thinking. And that hair has to be recurring for a reason, lol. I was thinking it was Ike because his story takes place the farthest in the past, evidenced by dragons/laguz transforming without using stones and having characters who were present for the actual genesis of the world

RiggyRob

during the intro to Shadow Dragon it said "100 years" explicitly, of course if its a typo it could change everything lol but I'm going under the assumption it wasn't

Was that in the remake or the original? If it was the remake then it might have been their attempt to retcon the story.

Edit: Looks like it was in the remake. That's really weird - either they tried to retcon the origins with Shadow Dragon and messed up with Tiki's Awakening support conversation, or Tiki's support conversation is correct and the intro to Shadow Dragon is wrong.

raigeki11

Neo Member
Was that in the remake or the original? If it was the remake then it might have been their attempt to retcon the story.

The remake. I've only played the ones that were released in NA in an official capacity, unfortunately this means I don't really know shit about the Judgral games, or anything that came out of Marth's second game

To be fair, it could always be Tiki messing up with the years.

Considering how long she lived and how long she's been asleep of it, what's a 100 or a 1000 years to her. :p

NeonZ

There was a translation problem with a Wind Waker interview where Aonuma said that it took place hundreds of years after OoT, but many translations ended up with just "a hundred years", due to the wording in Japanese being ambiguous without context. Couldn't something similar be happening there?

RiggyRob

Considering how long she lived and how long she's been asleep of it, what's a 100 or a 1000 years to her. :p

There was a translation problem with a Wind Waker interview where Aonuma said that it took place hundreds of years after OoT, but many translations ended up with just "a hundred years", due to the wording in Japanese being ambiguous without context. Couldn't something similar be happening there?

Both valid points. So yeah, I'm sticking to my guns, I think Tiki's referring to Anri in her support conversation.

raigeki11

Neo Member

I don't like this because if we assume important information we learn could just be a mistake on the character's part, we can't be sure of anything

Both valid points. So yeah, I'm sticking to my guns, I think Tiki's referring to Anri in her support conversation.

You said earlier Tiki was asleep during Anri's day. Isn't this different from being born? She says this man was from the age she was born in. I'm thinking she might be Ena's child, having the blood of all three dragon tribes and being born as a divine dragon. Or something

I think if she meant Anri, why not just say so? It seems unnecessary to be so mysterious if it turns out she just meant the person who we already know for a fact is an ancestor of Marth, and who is unlikely to be of any further significance

Top Bottom