• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

More related to the new IP that was mentioned before, Codename S.T.E.A.M. but the Art Director that was mentioned in the round table stuff, Takako Sakai, did work in quite a few Fire Emblems. Most notably, he was the Art Director of FE12: New Mystery of the Emblem.

Arthos

Alright, I'll take a shot at the game. I actually don't remember the GC games all that much since it's been a while.

Didn't Nintendo say SMTxFE is going "according to plan"? I'm with y'all - I just want to see some footage and play the game already! Hope they show off some footage later this year.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, I'll take a shot at the game. I actually don't remember the GC games all that much since it's been a while.

Didn't Nintendo say SMTxFE is going "according to plan"? I'm with y'all - I just want to see some footage and play the game already! Hope they show off some footage later this year.

Yeah during the Q aand A, Hitoshi Yamagami, the producer, said it was on schedule.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=836099

Hope its absence is just a symptom of being announced way too early. I'm looking forward to seeing more of STEAM on Treehouse, too.

LQX

I have spent nearly 50 fucking hours on this games because I've been agonizing about who to marry and looking at recommend parings. So much wasted time on that shit I cant even remember the main story. Fuck me.

NeonZ

You really don't need perfect pairings for a first playthrough, they basically break the main story chapters anyway just due to all the grinding you'd need for skills and such.

Lunar15

Not like the main story matters much in awakening anyway. It's pretty frivolous. Pairing isn't a huge deal either since most of the kids are op.

In other news, Arena ferox in smash has Id~purpose as the default music. Cross another off my list.

I'm a little bit confused with reclassing and promoting in Awakening. I've read some topics but everyone says different things. Is it better to promote at lv 20 or should I reclass?

NeonZ

I'm a little bit confused with reclassing and promoting in Awakening. I've read some topics but everyone says different things. Is it better to promote at lv 20 or should I reclass?

If you're starting, then generally lvl 20 for promotions, lvl 10 for reclass. That's for first tier classes though. Keep in mind that you need to get to lvl 15 to get the 2nd skill of the promoted classes, so reclassing there can wait longer if you want that skill. There are special classes that lvl up to lvl 30, and those also get their second skill at lvl 15.

Some people recommend promoting at lvl 10 because there's infinite experience in Awakening and that way you can get skills sooner, but that's only worthy it if you don't want to raise your stats anymore and are only after skills. After promotion, your experience gains will be smaller, and, both a character promoted at lvl 10 and at lvl 20 will have the same reduced experience gain afterwards.

Class changing though uses a different formula where your original level before class changing does still count as far as reducing the experience you gain afterwards goes, (half of it anyway), so it's better to class change as soon as possible.

If you're starting, then generally lvl 20 for promotions, lvl 10 for reclass. That's for first tier classes though. Keep in mind that you need to get to lvl 15 to get the 2nd skill of the promoted classes, so reclassing there can wait longer if you want that skill. There are special classes that lvl up to lvl 30, and those also get their second skill at lvl 15.

Some people recommend promoting at lvl 10 because there's infinite experience in Awakening and that way you can get skills sooner, but that's only worthy it if you don't want to raise your stats anymore and are only after skills. After promotion, your experience gains will be smaller, and, both a character promoted at lvl 10 and at lvl 20 will have the same reduced experience gain afterwards.

Class changing though uses a different formula where your original level before class changing does still count as far as reducing the experience you gain afterwards goes, (half of it anyway), so it's better to class change as soon as possible.

Thanks. So lvl 10 for class changes and lvl 20 for promotions?

Rigalo

Started playing POR last week. This is probably my 4th or 5th time playing through it but my first time on Hard mode. Also the first time EVER in the series that I am letting my characters actually die if they die :(

It's really difficult to let them go! I'm on chapter 10 and I lost Soren in the last chapter but he's it so far. I'm so stuck in my ways of restarting after characters die that it's irritating to not do it, lol. But hopefully I won't lose too many more characters.

RiggyRob

Started playing POR last week. This is probably my 4th or 5th time playing through it but my first time on Hard mode. Also the first time EVER in the series that I am letting my characters actually die if they die :(

It's really difficult to let them go! I'm on chapter 10 and I lost Soren in the last chapter but he's it so far. I'm so stuck in my ways of restarting after characters die that it's irritating to not do it, lol. But hopefully I won't lose too many more characters.

Ironman runs are rough, yo. I can barely manage it in Nuzlockes, I've never done it in a Fire Emblem game yet.

Then again, if I was doing an Ironman run of Fire Emblem, I might be able to switch off my 'have to recruit all characters' mentality in favour of the 'worthless characters are getting sacrificed' mentality instead.

Rigalo

Ironman runs are rough, yo. I can barely manage it in Nuzlockes, I've never done it in a Fire Emblem game yet.

Then again, if I was doing an Ironman run of Fire Emblem, I might be able to switch off my 'have to recruit all characters' mentality in favour of the 'worthless characters are getting sacrificed' mentality instead.

It's pretty rough. Just lost Boyd in chapter 11. I don't think I'll be able to do another run like this, my OCD is starting to kick in

RELAYER

Banned
I wish there was some more Fire Emblems I could play.

I've played 6, 7, 8, Path of Radiance, and Shadow Dragon.

I like the GBA Fire Emblems the best. The interface and gameplay are just so smooth and quick. I wish there were more games like that.
PoR and Shadow Dragon were good too.

I would give Radiant Dawn a shot but I don't have a Wii and am not buying one just for that game.

I tried 4 and 5, but those games feel so sluggish and crappy compared to the GBA ones, and half the time it's difficult to even tell what is going on.

Sux

Rigalo

If someone dies, just be reckless with Ike and if he dies you get to restart :p

Haha trust me I already had that idea!

I've only lost one character recently (Brom) and I'm on chapter 17 part 2 now. I kinda like losing characters in a way because it makes me resort to using other characters that I would never have used in a regular run. I've been thinking about seeing how Tormod is and I've been using Zihark more but he kinda sucks for me so far. We'll see

Levyne

Banned
I wish there was some more Fire Emblems I could play.

I've played 6, 7, 8, Path of Radiance, and Shadow Dragon.

I like the GBA Fire Emblems the best. The interface and gameplay are just so smooth and quick. I wish there were more games like that.
PoR and Shadow Dragon were good too.

I would give Radiant Dawn a shot but I don't have a Wii and am not buying one just for that game.

I tried 4 and 5, but those games feel so sluggish and crappy compared to the GBA ones, and half the time it's difficult to even tell what is going on.

Sux

I thought I saw earlier that you'd played Awakening. No 3DS?

RiggyRob

Haha trust me I already had that idea!

I've only lost one character recently (Brom) and I'm on chapter 17 part 2 now. I kinda like losing characters in a way because it makes me resort to using other characters that I would never have used in a regular run. I've been thinking about seeing how Tormod is and I've been using Zihark more but he kinda sucks for me so far. We'll see

Zihark is supposed to be pretty good in Path of Radiance but my bias for Mia made sure I never really used him. And then my choice was justified in Radiant Dawn!

Tripon

I was hoping for an Awakening 2 sequel announcement at E3. Now that that didn't happen, I think I'm going for a RD run.

QP3

Considering picking up FE:A as my first FE game. I quickly watched a gameplay video yesterday. It was literally 20 minutes of text, the only on screen images being the two character portraits.

My question is, how much of the gametime is spent actively doing things (battles, equipment, etc.) vs. conversational screens? THanks for any help!

NeonZ

Awakening's story sequences are generally pretty small. The ones in the first few chapters are a bit longer, but also throw in cg and 3d animations.

There's the support system though, which is a fan favorite feature and that is pretty much just two character pictures and text. Maybe you were looking at support conversation footage?

QP3

Awakening's story sequences are generally pretty small. The ones in the first few chapters are a bit longer, but also throw in cg and 3d animations.

There's the support system though, which is a fan favorite feature and that is pretty much just two character pictures and text. Maybe you were looking at support conversation footage?

Yes, I didn't think anything of it as I have not heard of it prior but this was in the title.

What exactly is the "support system"? Is it just extra story/background? Is it necessary or like side content? Thanks for your help!

NeonZ

Yes, I didn't think anything of it as I have not heard of it prior but this was in the title.

What exactly is the "support system"? Is it just extra story/background? Is it necessary or like side content? Thanks for your help!

The Fire Emblem games have casts of unique characters. You can't just hire multiple copies of a generic faceless mercenary. Each one is gotten through the story and has unique stats and class combination. However, there's also permanent death (which can be turned off in Awakening). So, most characters can't actually have big roles in the story after joining the players' party because most of them can potentially die, and yet that can't significantly change the story.

That's generally solved by writing the game in such a way that only a few characters, like the ones that aren't playable and the ones that give Game Over upon death, actually play big roles in the story after joining the players' party. One of the answers to that problem are some characters that are just wounded and unable to fight afterwards, but still alive to appear in the story scenes. The other one, which was actually tied to gameplay, was the support system, which was introduced in the first Fire Emblem game for the GBA.

Before that game, there were already bonuses for certain units fighting next to each other, and FE4 had a love system where two characters of the opposite gender could fall in love according to the player's control, rather than by default, if fighting alongside each other for long enough. That didn't necessarily lead to story scenes (although there were some for some pairs), just gameplay boosts. The support system basically systematized those elements in a way that also tie them to story presentation. By making certain pairs of characters fight together, they gain bonds. Those bonds mean stat bonuses when they fight next to each other in the actual gameplay and also an unique scene showing them interacting each time their bond is raised. Besides a single exception, there's always only two characters in each support conversation.

The support conversations not only showcase characters' personalities though, they're often used to give more information about the setting or even other characters not involved in the conversation itself. Awakening also ties the supports to a marriage system, which ties into another element of the game... Anyway, each conversation individually, isn't really long, and they only involve two characters, the pair that had its bond grown through battles. The video you watched was likely a compilation of many conversations with different characters (each pair has up to 3 conversations, 4 in Awakening in the case of marriage). You wouldn't see all that once while playing the game, but slowly unlock them for the characters you're using while advancing through the battles.

Rigalo

Am I missing something or is Gamble in POR completely broke? I put it on Swordmaster Mia who has a killing edge. I engaged her in a fight and activated Gamble, which gave her a 94% chance of a critical. Not only did she not crit both attacks, but she also missed both (due to gamble). Are critical attacks based on hit percentage? That's the only thing I can think of. If so I feel dumb for not knowing that since I've been playing this series for some amount of years now. Lol

Levyne

Banned
Am I missing something or is Gamble in POR completely broke? I put it on Swordmaster Mia who has a killing edge. I engaged her in a fight and activated Gamble, which gave her a 94% chance of a critical. Not only did she not crit both attacks, but she also missed both (due to gamble). Are critical attacks based on hit percentage? That's the only thing I can think of. If so I feel dumb for not knowing that since I've been playing this series for some amount of years now. Lol

You have to hit first. You roll for hit, and then for crit.

RiggyRob

Haha ok. So she had a 33% chance to hit. So basically she had a 33% chance to crit. Merp -_-

Should have given her Wrath, it's much better for her, and it amounts to the same effect really - +50% critical rate when under half health and equipped with a Killing Edge + Vantage = almost unkillable.

So in that Project M update for All-Star Verses Mode, they also revealed new costumes for the characters. In the case of Marth, it looks like he'll be finally giving another Blue-Haired Swordsman some Smash love.

marthrender.png

So in that Project M update for All-Star Verses Mode, they also revealed new costumes for the characters. In the case of Marth, it looks like he'll be finally giving another Blue-Haired Swordsman some Smash love.

That is pretty awesome.

Also doubly fitting as the Tyrfing and Falchion look nigh identical.

Levyne

Banned
That's pretty awesome. I was never much into the Brawl modding scene, but before I moved out, I had a little brother into all that stuff. Back when "Brawl+" was the scene before the evolution of Project M. Things look so polished now compared to back then.

Rigalo

On chapter 27, cleared the first part no problem and then Ike gets his ass kicked by the Black Knight like nothing. Aether didn't activate once and TBK's special skill activated every time besides the first time. So pissed

RiggyRob

It's been a while since I had to rage at FE's RNG bullshit.

So I decided to try out Harvest Scramble as a break from my Lunatic Awakening playthrough, and everything's going ok - people are dying but I'm on Casual mode, since I'm saving Classic mode for my Lunatic+ playthrough. I get to the golden Risen boss and the situation is like so:

Chrom, full health at 60HP, vs Risen Boss at 26HP. Chrom's Falchion can do 29HP of damage at 87% accuracy, and although the boss has Counter, Chrom's going to kill the boss and could easily survive the hit anyway, plus all of my other characters have already moved, so I figure it should be fine using Chrom to finish him off. Enter the battle.

First of all, the Risen boss activates Vantage, which I had overlooked, but it's still fine, it doesn't affect how the battle should play out. The boss then activates Vengeance, which causes 36HP of damage and brings Chrom down to 24HP, which is still ok, Chrom's going to kill the boss. Chrom hits the boss, who activates MIRACLE, leaving him with 1HP, and THEN Counter activates, causing 25HP of damage to Chrom and kills him. And just to rub the injustice in even more, Chrom's death is featured in ultra slow-mo as he spins and falls to the ground.

Unfuckingbelievable.

Levyne

Banned
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Somewhere else I saw people talking about starting Fire Emblem GBA again and now I'm itching to play it. I don't know where my copy is though :<

Lunar15

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Somewhere else I saw people talking about starting Fire Emblem GBA again and now I'm itching to play it. I don't know where my copy is though :<

It's been forever since I've played FE GBA. Honestly, I wasn't too into it when I first played it. It wasn't until PoR that I really really got into FE.

I wonder if I'd like it more now that I'm more comfortable with the series. I should check it out again.

Levyne

Banned
It's been forever since I've played FE GBA. Honestly, I wasn't too into it when I first played it. It wasn't until PoR that I really really got into FE.

I wonder if I'd like it more now that I'm more comfortable with the series. I should check it out again.

I like FE GBA a lot, but it might be because it was my first.

So dem FE reveals, eh?

I'm a little surprised that we now have FOUR (five if you count Female Robin alt) characters from FE now. I'm happy that they choose Robin with a magic emphasis and backup sword, because with all of the FE diversity, having only Swordspeople seems like a waste.

Codeblue

I don't think Awakening needed 2 reps, but eh, it's unsurprising..

I think Lucina was surprising. I was expecting Chrom.

Probably could have pulled Hector or Sigurd, but Robin type characters look like they're going to be a staple of the series going forward, so it might be a more general Fire Emblem rep than a specific 13 rep as more games get released.

Tripon

I think Lucina was surprising. I was expecting Chrom.

Probably could have pulled Hector or Sigurd, but Robin type characters look like they're going to be a staple of the series going forward, so it might be a more general Fire Emblem rep than a specific 13 rep as more games get released.

The Robin/MyUnit Smash is using is directly based on Awakening's version.

FE12 also had MyUnit (and they didn't call him/her Robin) and it looked nothing like Awakening's.

Markun

Happy birthday to the bestest son in the FE world!

Sorry, I just felt like celebrating somewhere. Don't mind me.
I'm secretly hoping Owain will be in Smash as a trophy or, even better, part of Lucina's final smash.

Top Bottom