• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

flohen95

In fairness, they introduce it very early on - you can't progress past the first chapter(?) unless you send someone to be a decoy and die. I assume it was in the very first game, and Shadow Dragon just recreates it faithfully.

Still nonsense mind, although I guess it sort of makes Ironman runs a little less tougher (since characters you lose can be replaced).

As dakkumauji already said, it isn't. The first game omits the entire prologue and starts Marth off at Talys. I think the story leading up to that is explained in the manual (as it was with so many games back then) and was incorporated into the remake as the prologue, with a few additions here and there (such as the whole decoy thing). Also, the canon decoy, Frey, doesn't appear in the first game but was added in the remake specifically to be the decoy. Interestingly, in my first playthrough, I chose him as the decoy, unknowingly making the "correct" decision. Though I can't remember if the game gives you a hint on that, it just might do.

Edit: Ah, just remembered: The game let's you skip the prologue and Frey will not be there in that case. Though that wasn't what I did back then, so I guess I still had luck making that choice.

Edit: Ah, just remembered: The game let's you skip the prologue and Frey will not be there in that case. Though that wasn't what I did back then, so I guess I still had luck making that choice.

Yeah, I'm guessing 'canonically' Frey is supposed to have died in the prologue.

And then he comes back to life in the sequel, so go figure.

Yeah, I'm guessing 'canonically' Frey is supposed to have died in the prologue.

And then he comes back to life in the sequel, so go figure.

nah, Frey (or whoever you sacrifice, but he's the canon one) doesn't actually die, there's a reason why you can't revive the character you sacrifice with the Aum stuff

spiritfox

What happened after?

image.php

Lunar15

It's gone, couldn't find it.

I must have lent it to someone back when I was in college. That was over three years ago now, no way I'm getting that back.

Managed to score a copy of Path of Radiance on Gamecube for $10 from my local pawn shop.

Gonna give it a whirl tonight (only ever played Awakening) :D

Whoa, awesome deal!

Hopefully you enjoy it. It's my favorite Fire Emblem, by far. (And there are a fair number of people that agree with me, too.)

Levyne

Banned
The thread died again :<

I'm thinking of starting a new Sacred Stones re-play. It's probably the FE I've gone the longest without re-playing it.

Lunar15

With FE:A being a success, I wonder how long it will take them to make another? It seems like they have a bit on their plate with Codename STEAM and SMTxFE, although we don't know which teams are working on what.

I'd like to imagine we'd hear about one as soon as next year.

RiggyRob

The thread died again :<

I'm thinking of starting a new Sacred Stones re-play. It's probably the FE I've gone the longest without re-playing it.

The Awakening thread's been a lot more active though, which is nice to see.

With FE:A being a success, I wonder how long it will take them to make another? It seems like they have a bit on their plate with Codename STEAM and SMTxFE, although we don't know which teams are working on what.

I'd like to imagine we'd hear about one as soon as next year.

I'd hope so, still can't wait to see anything of SMT x FE.

Levyne

Banned
Played through the first three chapters of Sacred Stones and the pacing is just so rapid. It almost feels like a fan game. Each country is immediately detailed at the start (each of course being a different style of Kingdom or whatever) and the immediate first chapters just write themselves, very bland. Or maybe my familiarity is just making me bored of super early game stuff. I'd have played further but have to sleep at some point. Obviously the Chapters themselves are exceedingly basic at this point.

Man, I miss this GBA look.

NeonZ

Sacred Stones does that with the countries since they wanted to quickly introduce a continent-wide conflict (and the continent doesn't have only four countries, unlike in Path of Radiance). You'll get more about them throughout the game though. The main conflict in the end isn't even really political though, so they seem to get kind of sloppy with the political side.

Sacred Stones does that with the countries since they wanted to quickly introduce a continent-wide conflict (and the continent doesn't have only four countries, unlike in Path of Radiance). You'll get more about them throughout the game though. The main conflict in the end isn't even really political though, so they seem to get kind of sloppy with the political side.

Daein, Crimea, Begnion, Gallia, Goldoa (though they don't really fight), Phoenicis, Kilvas? that's a lot more than four

.....though this reminds me, there is not a single map in Radiant Dawn that takes place in a laguz country for whatever reason

Lunar15

Daein, Crimea, Begnion, Gallia, Goldoa (though they don't really fight), Phoenicis, Kilvas? that's a lot more than four

.....though this reminds me, there is not a single map in Radiant Dawn that takes place in a laguz country for whatever reason

Is there even one in PoR? I guess there is that boat one on the shores of Goldoa. Serenes Forest too, but I always assumed that was part of Begnion.

As far as I can remember, there were no Gallian maps in either game.

Is there even one in PoR? I guess there is that boat one on the shores of Goldoa. Serenes Forest too, but I always assumed that was part of Begnion.

As far as I can remember, there were no Gallian maps in either game.

hmm

Serenes says chapters 6-10 are in Gallia, but for most of them that doesn't really make much sense......but even than chapter 12 is obviously in laguz territory

why didn't we have a chapter in Hatari in Radiant Dawn to introduce Nailah and Volug, could have even brought along MORE units!

Lunar15

Compared to 7 and 8, I felt like the countries in Tellius were just way more relevant. In the GBA games it felt like there were at least a few countries that were relatively unimportant, and it was usually two or three countries doing all the fighting.

By the time Radiant Dawn has finished, every country has participated significantly and has a major impact on the plot.

I'm just fanboying at this point, and it's certainly been a while since I've played 7 and 8, but I just found Tellius to be the most cohesive world in the series. Perhaps I'd feel better about 7's world had I played 6 as well.

Hell, to be honest, I don't even remember what 7's continent was called. I'm a pretty poor judge of this stuff, I guess.

Compared to 7 and 8, I felt like the countries in Tellius were just way more relevant. In the GBA games it felt like there were at least a few countries that were relatively unimportant, and it was usually two or three countries doing all the fighting.

By the time Radiant Dawn has finished, every country has participated significantly and has a major impact on the plot.

I'm just fanboying at this point, and it's certainly been a while since I've played 7 and 8, but I just found Tellius to be the most cohesive world in the series. Perhaps I'd feel better about 7's world had I played 6 as well.

Hell, to be honest, I don't even remember what 7's continent was called. I'm a pretty poor judge of this stuff, I guess.

I promise you that wouldn't happen

Seda

I'm replaying FE7 right now (for like the 20th time). There's definitely a world-building aspect present where certain nations and histories are only briefly mentioned but never an immediate part of the happenings of the game. I don't mean this as a criticism though, sometimes narratives are written where 'other places' exist for a purpose other than direct involvement. It's clear that nations like Etruria and Ilia aren't meant to be a focus. Just kinda places the actual setting within a larger picture, you know?

Not that I have anything against the Tellius games or how those nations were structured either. As long as participation doesn't feel pro forma.

FE6 does have a section of the game take place in the Western Isles, but otherwise it doesn't really expand on other nations as I can remember. EDIT: Wait, Etruria becomes significant too.

Just due to the plot, most of the countries get a good amount of focus in FE6.

It's nothing grand, especially for Ilia or Sacae, but better than nothing.

flohen95

I promise you that wouldn't happen

Well, to be fair, I think the countries (or at least Biran/Bern and Etruria) do play a bigger role in 6 than in 7 due to the war going on. And it was kinda satisfying visiting some places in Elibe that you never got to see in 7. Do you ever go to Etruria in 7? I honestly can't remember right now.

Lunar15

I'm replaying FE7 right now (for like the 20th time). There's definitely a world-building aspect present where certain nations and histories are only briefly mentioned but never an immediate part of the happenings of the game. I don't mean this as a criticism though, sometimes narratives are written where 'other places' exist for a purpose other than direct involvement. It's clear that nations like Etruria and Ilia aren't meant to be a focus. Just kinda places the actual setting within a larger picture, you know?

Not that I have anything against the Tellius games or how those nations were structured either. As long as participation doesn't feel pro forma.

FE6 does have a section of the game take place in the Western Isles, but otherwise it doesn't really expand on other nations as I can remember. EDIT: Wait, Etruria becomes significant too.

It's not really a criticism of 7. The games all just have different focuses. 7 and 8 are more fantasy-quest type stories, whereas PoR is more like a weird re-telling of WWII. Neither is objectively better than the other.

I was just pointing out that more nations =/= a better story, it's more about how they're utilized within that game's story. The countries in 7 and 8 are there to build mythology and set the stage for the plot.

Also it has to have been nearly 10 years since I've played either 7 or 8, so like I said, I'm really not the best judge of this. I'll have to remedy that soon.

on this note lol at Awakening and all 4 of its countries, 3 of which are on one continent while the other takes over the other continent offscreen

great world building there guys

and back to Radiant Dawn there should have been a Branded unit from Hatari that joined up with Volug for the DB chapters

Seda

Well, to be fair, I think the countries (or at least Biran/Bern and Etruria) do play a bigger role in 6 than in 7 due to the war going on. And it was kinda satisfying visiting some places in Elibe that you never got to see in 7. Do you ever go to Etruria in 7? I honestly can't remember right now.

Nope. You mostly only hear about it from Pent, Erk, and Priscilla, etc.

Lunar15

What it really comes down to are the characters. The countries in PoR/RD are more or less symbolized by a handful of characters. Those characters basically define their country. While this is a basic form of world building, it's pretty satisfying because you're curious to see how different characters react to different types of crisis and it makes you emotionally attached to the different countries.

The GBA games on the other hand (and Awakening) use the characters in a broader sense. They're less representative of the countries they come from, and more just characters that come in to enhance the quest. They both work, they're just different.

Plus, 7 has HECTOR'S COUNTRY, which delivered us HECTOR, and that's kind of all you need in terms of world building.

Levyne

Banned
Little further into my Sacred Stones replay.

The writing is just so...juvenile and simple. The fan game analogy is still holding in my head. Everything is so nice and neat and predictable. Like a show for children. Obviously you could say the games are for children but coming off of Holy War, I dunno, the difference in the narrative delivery seem to stand out.

I'd forgotten how tricky doing chapter 5 on the hard mode can be. And I wish there were more secret chapters. Most of the maps are still very small.

I do like the character designs in this game a lot.

The writing is just so...juvenile and simple. The fan game analogy is still holding in my head. Everything is so nice and neat and predictable. Like a show for children. Obviously you could say the games are for children but coming off of Holy War, I dunno, the difference in the narrative delivery seem to stand out.

I'd forgotten how tricky doing chapter 5 on the hard mode can be. And I wish there were more secret chapters. Most of the maps are still very small.

hey guys let's talk about how Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn have the best character designs in the series

:p

Lunar15

I think comparing any of the other games to 4 would cause this reaction. I mean, even PoR and RD aren't lighting the world on fire with their writing. I did really enjoy the pre-chapter descriptions in those games though, particularly PoR.

Actually there's a part in PoR that is really dumb, and has bothered me for a while: (Spoilers)
Why in the world do they march on Daein after getting reinforcements from Begnion? Why wouldn't you try to liberate Crimea first? Then they get to Ashnard's Castle and, surprise! He's not there. It just felt like a waste of time and resources to march on Daein. I would think you'd want to liberate Crimea, rally the remaining crimean troops, and then march on Daein afterwards if necessary. Not to mention, they end up marching on Daein, the northernmost country, in the middle of winter.

NeonZ

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was thinking about the map that pretty much only shows Gallia out of the Laguz nations, even though the others obviously are their own countries too, since they have their own leadership and such.

Lunar15

cat people

instantly disqualified

Titania

instantly re-qualified.

Fun fact, I was reading an interview with IS about PoR and they said that Titania came about because the team was tired of making "old grandpas" as mentor characters. They decided they wanted to do an "older sister" instead.

RiggyRob

Titania

instantly re-qualified.

Fun fact, I was reading an interview with IS about PoR and they said that Titania came about because the team was tired of making "old grandpas" as mentor characters. They decided they wanted to do an "older sister" instead.

That's pretty neat - seems like they got tired of the old grandpa mentor trend round about FE6, so they made young Marcus, Seth, Titania and Frederick in the following games.

That's pretty neat - seems like they got tired of the old grandpa mentor trend round about FE6, so they made young Marcus, Seth, Titania and Frederick in the following games.

Well they already did it with FE5. :p

Hell, FE4's was more like anime old than old grandpa mentor.

Top Bottom