• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

BsoD_9GCEAAh8IS.jpg

I was trying to get a birthday event but my FE game hates me so I guess here's just Owain showing who's boss over the 3DS.

So Happy Birthday, best character!

donny2112

Somewhere else I saw people talking about starting Fire Emblem GBA again and now I'm itching to play it. I don't know where my copy is though :<

I put like 250 hours into that playing all paths on both normal and hard. Tons of that was in Arenas, I think. Would love to play it again on Wii U VC with save states to remove the risk of death from arenas (wouldn't use it on regular levels, since that's the fun part is working out how to make it through optimally and alive!), but wouldn't want to put myself through that again on GBA, as I would make myself do the arena thing again to raise secondary characters.

you already know Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are better, Lunar15 :p

FE GBA Hard mode actually changed some of the levels. The desert ones adding sandstorms meaning you couldn't see far around stands out the most to me. Don't think any of the other FEs in the U.S. have changed around entire strategies for a level in Hard mode like that since.

Lunar15

I just like that FE has gone from almost having no reps in melee due to it not being translated in America to having four total reps.

The series is sure to continue, we can thank Awakening for that. (Just do a better job with the story next time, guys)

Then again, it's not like number of reps equals a healthy franchise. Look at Star Fox.

FE GBA Hard mode actually changed some of the levels. The desert ones adding sandstorms meaning you couldn't see far around stands out the most to me. Don't think any of the other FEs in the U.S. have changed around entire strategies for a level in Hard mode like that since.

who cares

Radiant Dawn still has better map variety, also fog of war is bullshit anyway

Lunar15

who cares

Radiant Dawn still has better map variety, also fog of war is bullshit anyway

When you get to the endgame tower in Radiant Dawn, it's like the creators just threw up their hands and said "Well, let's just throw fucking everything at the player."

I love it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
When you get to the endgame tower in Radiant Dawn, it's like the creators just threw up their hands and said "Well, let's just throw fucking everything at the player."

I love it.
When you got op units, it's nice to see them wrecking stuff.

flohen95

I'm super glad that a lot of people like FE in this thread. However, this is a smash bros thread, so I would like to take this opportunity to remind people that there is actually a Fire Emblem Community Thread.

IT DOESN'T GET ENOUGH LOVE ;_;

Well then...

Hi FireEmblemGAF! Since I've only recently been approved for membership, I haven't had time to post here. I suppose I'll tell you how I discovered Fire Emblem or something, since I really don't know what else I could say.

I was introduced to the series via Nintendo's 3DS ambassador programme. So around late 2011/early 2012, I first started Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I didn't know what to expect, but I had heard of the series through Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At first, I was a bit reluctant to it, since I didn't like the whole "medieval fantasy" setting at the time, but after playing for a while, it clicked with me. I think that was around March 2012.
It was magical. The only times before where I had the same feeling after finishin a game was with what I'd call my first real gaming experience with Pokémon Sapphire and soon after with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. All those were back in 2005, and Sacred Stones was the first game that gave me back that feeling. I was amazed.
Soon after that, I made the decision to buy every Fire Emblem game released in the west. Luckily, I already owned every system needed for that and started buying. The first game I got after Sacred Stones was Shadow Dragon, which I found in a GameStop in Berlin while on a class trip. After that, I bought Radiant Dawn (again from GameStop) and then, shortly before a trip to Scottland in the autumn of 2012, I got Fire Emblem for the GBA off of eBay.
By then, I realized that you could get boxed copies of the Super Famicom and Famicom games (except Thracia 776, of course) for around 10 - 20€ each, and I bought a Famicom and a Super Famicom. Around that time, I decided that I wanted to own every Fire Emblem game released physically, and I gradually bought all the remaining games. I am especially proud of the deluxe box of Thracia 776, which I managed to snag off of eBay for 150€ incl. shipping and import taxes. The last game that I got was actually a cartridge of Sacred Stones, to complete the collection. I also have the Awakening OST and Artbook, which a friend of mine bought while he was studying in Japan.

Anyway, I don't just want to write a wall of text here, so here's a pic of my stuff which I took right after completing the collection around one year ago. Some of you might have already seen it in the Smash thread.

Moving on... I always struggle to name my favourite game in the series because I love every one of them. Of course, Sacred Stones will always be special to me, since it introduced me to the series and heavily influenced my taste in gaming (and basically got me to collect not only games but gaming systems, too), so most of the time I'd probably say it's my favourite. But I really like Awakening, too, and Radiant Dawn I really liked as well. But then again, I really liked Fire Emblem (GBA) and Thracia 776... Ah, whatever, I like them all.

So, that should be it about me for now. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to shoot them at me. I really hope to actively participate here, but I struggle to do so everywhere, so I really only can hope. Maybe we'll get some more info about FE x SMT in the future (looking forward to that, too) so we have some things to discuss. I'd certainly hope so.

Levyne

Banned
Welcome! This thread is a little slow at times....sometimes there's just not a lot of FE news to talke about. At the least the Smash presence gives it some life.

Your favorite FE games are some of my least favorite, but similar to you I like pretty much all of them so I can deal. And that's a really nice collection. I wish I had the means/willingness to collect stuff.

Welcome! This thread is a little slow at times....sometimes there's just not a lot of FE news to talke about. At the least the Smash presence gives it some life.

Your favorite FE games are some of my least favorite, but similar to you I like pretty much all of them so I can deal. And that's a really nice collection. I wish I had the means/willingness to collect stuff.

you don't really like FE8, 10, 13, 7, or 5...?

or am I reading this wrong

Lunar15

Well then...

Hi FireEmblemGAF! Since I've only recently been approved for membership, I haven't had time to post here. I suppose I'll tell you how I discovered Fire Emblem or something, since I really don't know what else I could say.

*awesome description of FE fandom*

Dude, awesome stash there. I haven't really played any of the non-localized titles myself, but after Levyne's rundown of FE4, I'm strongly tempted to go pick that up. My personal favorites are 9 and 10, with 7 coming in close. 8's alright, but it felt a little funny coming off of 7. I played it late, so I think it just resonated less than if I had played it first. Truth be told, I've never played Shadow Dragon. I had only played 7 by the time SD came out, and the series didn't really get its hooks in me until I played PoR.

As for this thread, it'll pick up when a new FE is announced or we hear more news about SMTxFE. Given all the attention it's received from Awakening and Smash, this is pretty much guaranteed.

Bonus: Micaiah was pretty cool.

my personal top 4 is Radiant Dawn, FE12 (I'm not typing that whole title out), Awakening, and Path of Radiance, probably in that order

FE7 for most overrated game :p

Lunar15

my personal top 4 is Radiant Dawn, FE12 (I'm not typing that whole title out), Awakening, and Path of Radiance, probably in that order

FE7 for most overrated game :p

You might have said it before, but why RD? Map variety? Crazy challenges? OP Third Tier? I'm purely curious since not many pick it to be their favorite. (It deserves more love, though)

As I said in the smash thread, PoR and RD are just one giant game for me since I played them back to back. That combo is hard to beat. I need to go find the FE12 translation and give that a shot too, though.

FE7 was cool, but it just never grabbed me. I was a big AW nut at the time, so I just kept comparing it to that even though they're wildly different games.

Shun

Any hope in bringing back the complex system in Thracia 776 and Genealogy of War?

Those two are my favorite Fire Emblem games, especially with the unique gameplay and difficulty that came with it.

I'd love to have a remake akin to the DS remakes of Marth's games since the Jugdral games deserve it.

Regardless I hope we get a more complex Fire Emblem after this past one.

Lunar15

Any hope in bringing back the complex system in Thracia 776 and Genealogy of War?

Those two are my favorite Fire Emblem games, especially with the unique gameplay and difficulty that came with it.

I'd love to have a remake akin to the DS remakes of Marth's games since the Jugdral games deserve it.

Regardless I hope we get a more complex Fire Emblem after this past one.

I said it in another thread, but man, now's the time to bring back 4 now that the marriage system is so popular. Of course, it wouldn't be all happy-go-lucky like Awakening can be at some times.

Also, I just realized that Awakening has no recruitment theme. Weird.

Levyne

Banned
I now have access to both FE gba games. Aww yisss

It will be interesting to see how closely they stick to Awakening due to the sales boost. Probably pretty damn close at least for the next title before shaking things up again afterwards. I actually kind of enjoy seeing them play so differently in certain aspects despite the core gameplay being relatively unchanging.

Lunar15

I think they'll keep the artist and composer for Awakening. Pair Up will probably remain, I don't see the player avatar going away, and a lot of the other conveniences they added (speeding up battle scenes, etc.) will stick around as well.

It might be hard to continue on the marriage system, since the plot has to be incredibly tied to it. However, increased rewards for having supports will probably stick around. It's one of the series best and most defining features, yet sometimes they would obscure it so much. Bringing it closer to the forefront is overall a great thing.

Levyne

Banned
I always thought it was weird that FE GBA decided to have a ten chapter tutorial of sorts and still not really manage to explain supports very well. Yeah yeah, you can't support in the early chapters, but it feels like a weird omission.

Lunar15

I always thought it was weird that FE GBA decided to have a ten chapter tutorial of sorts and still not really manage to explain supports very well. Yeah yeah, you can't support in the early chapters, but it feels like a weird omission.

I honestly didn't even do any supports or know the system was even there first time I played FE7. Like, I kind of knew there was something about it, but the game just made no attempts to tell me to use it or even how to use it.

I definitely understood it better when I got around to playing PoR. Awakening is the best implementation so far.

Insaniac

So I have a question about Fire Emblem Awakening...

Does it severely limit you on money the way previous FEs did?

I was playing a hard playthrough of FE:SS and backed myself into a corner by trying to level up characters in the Tower, but ended up running out of money to replace my weapons, and was unable to progress any further in the story.

Now in FE:A, is this the same type of situation, or should I play knowing I have a little more financial freedom?

Also does this FE have missable items if I don't get them on the first pass?

Shun

I was playing a hard playthrough of FE:SS and backed myself into a corner by trying to level up characters in the Tower, but ended up running out of money to replace my weapons, and was unable to progress any further in the story.

Now in FE:A, is this the same type of situation, or should I play knowing I have a little more financial freedom?

Everything about Awakening is ridiculously easy imo, at least to those who are veterans to the series.

The "missables" are remedied through overpriced DLC, which I was suckered into buying, or are outclassed by forging Brave Weapons.

You pretty much have all the money in the world, especially if you abuse Armsthrift on your characters and maintain unbreakable weapons.

Bring back the magic triangle with anima/light/dark magic. There were too many ways to abuse FE:A's system.

Money is pretty easy to come by since you have many repeatable options. Skirmishes will always give you some money. You can even force them to happen by buying Reeking Boxes (though those get more expensive in Hard and up).

The DLC maps will also net you items you can sell (from the villages). Of course, there's a DLC map just for making money too. :p

CorvoSol

Man I need to branch out in Fire Emblem.

Just as soon as I'm done replaying Awakening. I have 7, 8 and Shadow Dragon. I beat 7 once, but I got the urge to do it again. Then I'll check out the other two.

Except man, Shadow Dragon's art is so bad compared to all the others I own. It reminds me of old western dungeon crawling RPGs like Eye of the Beholder . . . and not in a good way.

NeonZ

It might be hard to continue on the marriage system, since the plot has to be incredibly tied to it. However, increased rewards for having supports will probably stick around. It's one of the series best and most defining features, yet sometimes they would obscure it so much. Bringing it closer to the forefront is overall a great thing.

I thought the marriage system was pretty much "thrown in" in Awakening already. Lucina really doesn't have an important story role aside from one scene after her identity is revealed, and every other child is completely optional and have no roles at all in the main story.

The next game they could attempt to go for a main story that actually is tied to the marriage system in a big way, like FE4's was, with an actual timeskip for the 2nd generation, which would get their own time to become the story's protagonists.

Hi everyone. I got FE:A on July 1st 2014 and have played over 50 hours. :O (Which is alot for me.)

I've always wanted to get into FE but suck at Strategy games, but I tried again in awakening and got into it. Like an idiot, I chose Classic for my first playthrough, but aside from Miriel and that kid made, I decided to just restart the Chapter if I lose anyone and am now on Chapter 20. (I am grinding tho.)

Got Nowi and DLC Marth to their max levels with others closing in, if I change class can I still get more powerful? For example, can I actually change Nowi back to a level 1 Mankete and get even more powerful? The instruction manual made me think so but I'm not sure. Still dying even with maxed units, a testament to how much I suck lol.

Also got the Champions of Yore, Golden, and Summer packs and did them all except for Golden and Summer #3. Great DLC. I'm in love with this game even if I suck. Tok bad I have no more money. Will be overlevelled when I do other DLC lol. Maybe I'll do it on a future playthrough...

So...if I beat this, which game should I try next? I got both Shadow Dragon & Sacred Stones on 3DS. Think I'll go with SD since I wanna see Marth's and Tiki's origins after playing Awakening. I heard its bad tho, why? Unless the original NES game was bad, but I didn't get that impression from reading various posts.

I hope they get the other JP only FE games to NA sometime or another. Really interested in 4 after reading posts. When does anyone think they'll announce the next one? Tho it might be awhile due to the Crossover...

Also why does everyone count FE:A as FE13 when from what I've read (if I'm wrong then sorry,) people are counting the two DS remakes as numbered games. Why would yall do that? ?_?

Also sad that all the games are so expensive. Will have to wait awhile for the GC & Wii versions to come to a future VC. That will be a long time off...

FE:A is fantastic from what I've experienced and can't wait to see more of the series as I play! :)

Levyne

Banned
FE4 can be had for a reasonable price on Amazon. There's a 95% complete translation patch too. You can get Fire Emblem (GBA) for non-outrageous prices as well. The Tellius titles are another story.

Shadow Dragon a lot of people didn't care for the art style (at least compared to the GBA style), the story (well, it's an older game) and some weird design choices involving Gaiden chapters.

Lunar15

I thought the marriage system was pretty much "thrown in" in Awakening already. Lucina really doesn't have an important story role aside from one scene after her identity is revealed, and every other child is completely optional and have no roles at all in the main story.

The next game they could attempt to go for a main story that actually is tied to the marriage system in a big way, like FE4's was, with an actual timeskip for the 2nd generation, which would get their own time to become the story's protagonists.

I more just meant that you do actually have to do something in the plot that explains how the kids exist, whether it be time travel like in Awakening or a time skip like in FE4.

But yes, I do agree, it's poorly used and explained in FE:A. Lucina isn't a very important character, but nothing in the story really is. I could complain for days, but I definitely felt like they were going for a more carefree tone and just threw in everything to celebrate different parts of the series' history. I have faith that they'll get more focused moving forward.

All this Fire Emblem: Awakening love is awesome and all but I still feel like there needs to be another more traditional chapter to chapter, limited experience pool Fire Emblem. While they are at it, they could make an "Awakening 2" Fire Emblem game.

Anyone trying playing FE:A just going from chapter to chapter? The game encourages grinding and class changing so much I wonder if playing it like a more traditional FE game could be done on the higher difficulties.

NeonZ

Anyone trying playing FE:A just going from chapter to chapter? The game encourages grinding and class changing so much I wonder if playing it like a more traditional FE game could be done on the higher difficulties.

I played almost like that in my first playthrough (Hard/Classic). I did go through the Marth DLC, but just once to recruit him and then just stuck to the main story chapters, and it was perfectly doable.

In fact, with a more powerful party the main story chapters become a joke, and even, playing like that, Donnel, his child and the avatar were almost invincible by end game (DLC Marth too), although I still had problems in a few chapters.

I played and enjoyed Shadow Dragon. If you've got an itch for more Fire Emblem, Shadow Dragon will scratch it. However, it's a remake of the original NES game and they didn't really add a whole lot to it. There are no supports, and many of your characters will not have any dialogue outside of their recruitment and death lines. And most people don't like the art style.

I said it in another thread, but man, now's the time to bring back 4 now that the marriage system is so popular. Of course, it wouldn't be all happy-go-lucky like Awakening can be at some times.

Also, I just realized that Awakening has no recruitment theme. Weird.

No, it does. It's just unlike most other recruitment themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOdqZjOTMs

flohen95

Is Shadow Dragon that bad?

It is not bad per say, it's just a bit... dull compared to most other Fire Emblem games.

I actually wrote a Metacritic user review a while ago:

me said:
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. A game that is as Fire Emblem as you can get... if you are reading this in the 1990's. The game is a straight and faithful remake of the series first outing, "Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light", released for the Famicom in 1990. And that is where it's problems start: It is just as the game was in 1990. Sure, you have your Weapon Triangle now, sure, the graphics are a lot better than they were back then, but at the core, this is a early 90's game. If you are ok with that, then I cannot stress this enough: Buy this game. It is a good game all by itself, but it just fails in comparison to other Fire Emblem games. A lot of the features a Fire Emblem fan has gotten accustomed to are missing in this title. Character development is almost nonexistent, the story is incredibly linear and rather dull from today's perspective, and the beloved support conversations from the GameBoy Advance games are not here either, taking away the character's depth. Despite that, however, it is still quite enjoyable as a turn-based strategy game.
If you have ever played an other Fire Emblem, you should either be prepared to play something that feels pretty old, or you should want to dwelve into the franchises history. If you are interested in how it started, this is the way to go. If you look for a nice strategy game for the DS, this is the way to go. But if you think you get a high quality Fire Emblem with this game, you should probably stay away from it.

I still think that sums it up quite nicely. I've still liked it a lot when I played it, and it is better than the original. Basically a step up from the original (despite my wording in that quote), but a big step back from the GBA games. Definitely the worst FE released in the west, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Also kinda sad that based on the games (understandable) underperformance the sequel was never brought over. FE12 was actually a really good game: Lot's of dialogue added compared to the original, support conversations, etc. It had a lot more depth to it than Shadow Dragon (and the original Book 2 of Mystery of the Emblem, for that matter). The graphics were still a bit dull though.

RiggyRob

Is Shadow Dragon that bad?

It's not that bad, but it feels outdated - I couldn't believe the requirements for recruiting new characters were to let your existing characters die. Fuck that, no-one is left behind (apart from Jagen).

It felt weird when I played it, like I could tell it was a Fire Emblem game, but not similar to the ones I was accustomed to. Plus the artstyle is a little ech.

It's not that bad, but it feels outdated - I couldn't believe the requirements for recruiting new characters were to let your existing characters die. Fuck that, no-one is left behind (apart from Jagen).

It felt weird when I played it, like I could tell it was a Fire Emblem game, but not similar to the ones I was accustomed to. Plus the artstyle is a little ech.

That's horrible. What kind of requirement is that!?

RiggyRob

That's horrible. What kind of requirement is that!?

In fairness, they introduce it very early on - you can't progress past the first chapter(?) unless you send someone to be a decoy and die. I assume it was in the very first game, and Shadow Dragon just recreates it faithfully.

Still nonsense mind, although I guess it sort of makes Ironman runs a little less tougher (since characters you lose can be replaced).

In fairness, they introduce it very early on - you can't progress past the first chapter(?) unless you send someone to be a decoy and die. I assume it was in the very first game, and Shadow Dragon just recreates it faithfully.

Still nonsense mind, although I guess it sort of makes Ironman runs a little less tougher (since characters you lose can be replaced).

Nah, I don't think the whole kill someone off thing was in the original game.

It sounded more like a failsafe option if you were doing completely poorly in the game. The game even gave you generics if the number of characters you could deploy was less than the max number of characters deployable.

Its a good idea but it just meant for people who wanted to see everything and keep everyone alive (you know, most FE players) made it impossible to do that.

Top Bottom