• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

RiggyRob

Well, the new Fire Emblem has feet. That's a clear upgrade over Awakening.

Also a big earth golem thing with a coin-face. I want to hit it in its silly coin-face with a hammer.

I kind of want the avatar and support system from Awakening to return. That game was quite replayable thanks to that. When I beat it the first time, I immediately restarted it with a female avatar, so here's hoping.

When I saw that I thought it must have been SMT x FE, since it looked similar to an SMT demon, but it was a nice surprise seeing it was another 3DS game.

Day -[whatever number of days are left til I can preorder it]!

3d6d178daa.jpg

wait what's the middle number on the map tile display, avoid or something? (left and right are presumably defense and HP recovery as usual)

cause it looks like it's negative avoid, maybe I'm overthinking this

Golnei

The blond Lord-esque guy (apparently named some variation of Marx?) had an interesting line.

tumblr_ni6aahhsbp1u4e55io5_400.jpg

The translation I saw wrote it as "What in the world…it’s not possible that Father is in the wrong." Moral ambiguity? It's probably looking into it too much, but perhaps the fact they chose to put that in the trailer indicates they want to go in a slightly more involved direction this time; or maybe it'll just amount to another character executed as poorly as Validar.

Draxal

The blond Lord-esque guy (apparently named some variation of Marx?) had an interesting line.

The translation I saw wrote it as "What in the world…it’s not possible that Father is in the wrong." Moral ambiguity? It's probably looking into it too much, but perhaps the fact they chose to put that in the trailer indicates they want to go in a slightly more involved direction this time; or maybe it'll just amount to another character executed as poorly as Validar.

There's always a chance he'd be the Camus archetype.

You get less avoid cause you are standing in the river? Makes sense to me.
sure it makes sense, but FE4 is the only game to have done that so far

>_>

Levyne

Banned
As much as I rag on Awakening, I am still super excited for anything new in the series. Cool to know that IS has both Steam and FE in the pipeline.

Sorry, Advance Wars fans

Lunar15

Can we get real feet this time? Thanks.

They're in the trailer. Tarantino rejoice!

Also, yeah we're going to have that whole "Both sides are fighting for something!" trope, but that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than what Awakening gave us.

I love IS so much. They give us stuff we love and new stuff all the time. They're a real gem.

Tripon

I think Nintendo's EU twitter feed said this new FE is set in a whole new world so expect some shenanigans to get the Awakening crew back for DLC.

SOUNDS LIKE A TOTALLY BRAND NEW CHARACTER

Honestly, to me the only two FE games that really had even vaguely interesting attack animations were Seisen and Thracia. The GBA games just didn't do it for me.

I liked how flashy the GBA games were.

I really liked nicely the battles flowed in RD.

Awakening didn't really do much for me. Main problem was that everything was a lot of the same. Backflips or spins and twirls.

Tommy DJ

Haha yeah seriously. That's why I don't get a lot of the complaints thrown at this game already. How many times have you seen reused Mystery of the Emblem character backgrounds and plots near verbatim? Its almost expected that they reuse well worn archetypes and plot structures from past games at this point...and they definitely don't get any more interesting the next time you see them.

Rutger

Banned
Awakening didn't really do much for me. Main problem was that everything was a lot of the same. Backflips or spins and twirls.

I was happy the characters didn't move like robots for once.

But I shut off animations not long into a game unless I want to hear the battle music, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me.

CSX

So based on trailer, analysis on serenesforest and my personal guesses

- Western nation invades Eastern nation. Avatar is prince/princess of Eastern nation

- King of the Western nation is deemed evil/mysterious. However in typical FE fashion, there is something more sinister happening in the background aka giant ass dragon or maybe giant ass golem

- You be recruiting people from both nations. Main theme of the support conversations is the characters talking about the similarities and differences in their nations' cultures and societies and of course "We gotta make peace soon"

- Having "Japanese" themed weapons hopefully leads to having a whole 2nd set of interesting weapons with different stats and not just reskinned weapons we been using in every game

- And having this Eastern nation can lead to having different classes that are unique to each unit depending on which nation they are from!

- That screencap showing that swords are good against bows makes me think that the arrows just show the general advantage one unit will have in that battle and not this new weapon triangle saying that swords are good against bows.

- CAN I PLAY THIS GAME NOWWWWWW???!!!

You mean 1 post per week.

I hope we keep the West vs East theme for the entire game and not end up banding together in the end for a greater evil... Who am I kidding.

Well that did happen in Path of Radiance!
And then they did it in Radiant Dawn lol
All Fire Emblem plots are pretty samey from what I've seen, doubt they will deviate very far. Should be better then Awakening which was following the formula bare bones

As much as I rag on Awakening, I am still super excited for anything new in the series. Cool to know that IS has both Steam and FE in the pipeline.

I feel ya buddy.

While I hope this is going for the more traditional FE structure like GBA and GC games, I'm just still excited that there is new Fire Emblem game.

mdubs

Banned
So based on trailer, analysis on serenesforest and my personal guesses

- Western nation invades Eastern nation. Avatar is prince/princess of Eastern nation

- King of the Western nation is deemed evil/mysterious. However in typical FE fashion, there is something more sinister happening in the background aka giant ass dragon or maybe giant ass golem

- You be recruiting people from both nations. Main theme of the support conversations is the characters talking about the similarities and differences in their nations' cultures and societies and of course "We gotta make peace soon"

- Having "Japanese" themed weapons hopefully leads to having a whole 2nd set of interesting weapons with different stats and not just reskinned weapons we been using in every game

- And having this Eastern nation can lead to having different classes that are unique to each unit depending on which nation they are from!

- That screencap showing that swords are good against bows makes me think that the arrows just show the general advantage one unit will have in that battle and not this new weapon triangle saying that swords are good against bows.

- CAN I PLAY THIS GAME NOWWWWWW???!!!

More or less exactly what I thought watching the trailer. There is no way this game isn't going to be about trying to bring both sides together to fight some sort of ancient evil.

Golnei

No question that it's going to be covering some well-trodden ground, but I'm more interested in how it's going to be approached rather than the plot itself. I'd have few problems with a repeat of Shiharam, for instance.

I can already see a lot of the threads being filled with marriage/children system bickering.
Think I'll probably just stick to the OT and this thread.

For me, I'm less annoyed by the marriage/child system itself (FE4 is my favorite FE so I was hyped when they announced this) and more annoyed by how it seems like 75% of conversation concerning Awakening is about waifus and husbandos and best girls etc. There's always been a shipping/favorite character element in the FE fandom, but it never dominated the conversation quite as much as it seems to post Awakening. Persona 4's kind of given me the same vibes in that regard.Although I will say it seems to have mellowed out some recently.

I still haven't played Awakening yet so I shouldn't judge it and its effects on how people perceive Fire Emblem so harshly, and of course I am grateful for the fact that it essentially saved the series (meaning that these changes are likely the same things keeping it alive), but as a fan since 2005ish I can't help but see how things have changed since then with the latest title. I'll try to keep an open mind for whenever I do play Awakening, as well as for whatever additions or changes they do with this new game.

flohen95

For me, I'm less annoyed by the marriage/child system itself (FE4 is my favorite FE so I was hyped when they announced this) and more annoyed by how it seems like 75% of conversation concerning Awakening is about waifus and husbandos and best girls etc. There's always been a shipping/favorite character element in the FE fandom, but it never dominated the conversation quite as much as it seems to post Awakening. Persona 4's kind of given me the same vibes in that regard.Although I will say it seems to have mellowed out some recently.

I still haven't played Awakening yet so I shouldn't judge it and its effects on how people perceive Fire Emblem so harshly, and of course I am grateful for the fact that it essentially saved the series (meaning that these changes are likely the same things keeping it alive), but as a fan since 2005ish I can't help but see how things have changed since then with the latest title. I'll try to keep an open mind for whenever I do play Awakening, as well as for whatever additions or changes they do with this new game.

I feel you man. I feel the same way about Persona 4. But if you look for the right places, you still see a lot of discussion going on about everything other than that. It's not as prevalent as I thought it to be in the first place.

Also, I hope you get around to Awakening sooner rather than later - it's a very good game in my opinion. The biggest difference between it and the games before, I would say, is actually the art style (where we went from the comparatively plain and clean look to what we have now) which I do like, but I still prefer what we had in Radiant Dawn. Other than that, not much has changed. The world map is similar to what we had in Sacred Stones, marriage and pairing was a thing before this game (and I'm not soley talking about 4 here), it's just more prevalent throughout it. You may find the map design to be a bit lacking and there are only really two map objectives throughout the whole game, so the strategy might feel a bit more simplified to you, but that's pretty much it. It's still clearly Fire Emblem.

Busaiku

Yeah, I know it's the same style and artist, but I really wish they'd put more into making the characters not look like Fire Emblem Awakening characters.

I feel you man. I feel the same way about Persona 4. But if you look for the right places, you still see a lot of discussion going on about everything other than that. It's not as prevalent as I thought it to be in the first place.

Also, I hope you get around to Awakening sooner rather than later - it's a very good game in my opinion. The biggest difference between it and the games before, I would say, is actually the art style (where we went from the comparatively plain and clean look to what we have now) which I do like, but I still prefer what we had in Radiant Dawn. Other than that, not much has changed. The world map is similar to what we had in Sacred Stones, marriage and pairing was a thing before this game (and I'm not soley talking about 4 here), it's just more prevalent throughout it. You may find the map design to be a bit lacking and there are only really two map objectives throughout the whole game, so the strategy might feel a bit more simplified to you, but that's pretty much it. It's still clearly Fire Emblem.

You're right with that. Serenes Forest is a strong example of a place where there's a variety of topics for Fire Emblem, likely because it's a site that's been around since the GBA days, and the previous largest Fire Emblem community in the West (Sanctuary of Strategy) more or less shipped their remaining users to SF when the owner shut its doors. Random topics on /v/ really isn't the best way to judge the fandom of FE:A at the end of the day :p

It's gonna be tough getting to FE:A in the near future now that Monster Hunter 4 U is only a month away (A MONTH AWAY!!!!) and Trails in the Sky:SC isn't going to help things. But hopefully I can get to it before FE:if (working title) comes out.

Top Bottom