• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Chrom

I started replaying Awakening the other day. Just a casual run, having a lot of fun with it. The whole thing about Kellam still gets me, haha.

Hi, FE GAF. :) I'm planning to start Radiant Dawn soon. It's the only post-FE7 entry I've yet to play. I've heard it's difficult and the chapter structures are weird (like switching between brigades, I think?). What are your opinions on the gameplay? Any tips I should consider before I tackle it?

RiggyRob

Hi, FE GAF. :) I'm planning to start Radiant Dawn soon. It's the only post-FE7 entry I've yet to play. I've heard it's difficult and the chapter structures are weird (like switching between brigades, I think?). What are your opinions on the gameplay? Any tips I should consider before I tackle it?

Play Path of Radiance first.

RiggyRob

Cool, do it again - you're able to transfer stat boosts for every stat you maxed out for a particular character in Path of Radiance that exists in Radiant Dawn (the exception is Largo, so Calill takes his boosts as well).

You shouldn't find the gameplay too hard. There's a lot more varied missions, but the balance is totally destroyed between the Greil Mercenaries and the Dawn Brigade, as in Ike's group can steamroll levels but Micaiah's can struggle.

Cool, do it again - you're able to transfer stat boosts for every stat you maxed out for a particular character in Path of Radiance that exists in Radiant Dawn (the exception is Largo, so Calill takes his boosts as well).

You shouldn't find the gameplay too hard. There's a lot more varied missions, but the balance is totally destroyed between the Greil Mercenaries and the Dawn Brigade, as in Ike's group can steamroll levels but Micaiah's can struggle.
Thanks, will keep that in mind! Looking forward to the varied missions. Also, are Laguz worth using this time around? I pretty much ignored them in PoR because I don't like having them stand around half the time.

SkyOdin

Radiant Dawn can be tricky. The game is broken up into several different chapters, each of which follows a different team across the entire chapter (with a few exceptions in one part). This means that you don't have a whole lot of choice on who you use in most of the game's chapters.

As for the Laguz, as usual they vary wildly in usefulness. They made a lot of changes to them from Path of Radiance: now different species of Laguz gain and lose stamina at different rates. For example, Cats burn up their transformation gauge really quickly, but also recover it very quickly, while Tigers take longer to transform, but last longer while transformed. Under normal usage, this makes a few Laguz types, such as Hawks, very good, while others, such as Cats, not so good. However, if you abuse a lot of gauge recharge items, the Laguz with the large-stamina/long-recover set-up can be pretty useful. Since there are quite a few chapters where you don't have a lot of character choice, taking advantage of available Laguz can be important. Of course, towards the end of the game, you can get some really broken Laguz who can snap the game's difficulty curve in half.

Now, Radiance Dawn is the successor to Path of Radiance, so Cavaliers and Paladins are still really good thanks to their ability to move after attacking. However, there exist "indoor" maps now, where mounted units suffer significant penalties to their movement range. That, combined with a lot of fighting around ledges, means that cavalry won't be as dominant in Radiant Dawn compared to Path of Radiance.

Radiant Dawn becomes something truly epic towards the end though. I don't know if there is any stretch of any other Fire Emblem game quite like RD's final stretch. It starts breaking all of the rules you are used to in Fire Emblem, and becomes something really amazing.

Tripon

Radiant Dawn can be tricky. The game is broken up into several different chapters, each of which follows a different team across the entire chapter (with a few exceptions in one part). This means that you don't have a whole lot of choice on who you use in most of the game's chapters.

As for the Laguz, as usual they vary wildly in usefulness. They made a lot of changes to them from Path of Radiance: now different species of Laguz gain and lose stamina at different rates. For example, Cats burn up their transformation gauge really quickly, but also recover it very quickly, while Tigers take longer to transform, but last longer while transformed. Under normal usage, this makes a few Laguz types, such as Hawks, very good, while others, such as Cats, not so good. However, if you abuse a lot of gauge recharge items, the Laguz with the large-stamina/long-recover set-up can be pretty useful. Since there are quite a few chapters where you don't have a lot of character choice, taking advantage of available Laguz can be important. Of course, towards the end of the game, you can get some really broken Laguz who can snap the game's difficulty curve in half.

Now, Radiance Dawn is the successor to Path of Radiance, so Cavaliers and Paladins are still really good thanks to their ability to move after attacking. However, there exist "indoor" maps now, where mounted units suffer significant penalties to their movement range. That, combined with a lot of fighting around ledges, means that cavalry won't be as dominant in Radiant Dawn compared to Path of Radiance.

Radiant Dawn becomes something truly epic towards the end though. I don't know if there is any stretch of any other Fire Emblem game quite like RD's final stretch. It starts breaking all of the rules you are used to in Fire Emblem, and becomes something really amazing.
Man, you're making me remember how uneven the difficulty is in between chapters for RD.

"Remember all the struggling you were doing to just keep your units alive in the first two chapters? Lol forget that in chapter 3."

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys. I'm a new fan of the series. I played FE7 a while ago and I absolutely loved it. I am now playing FE6 and loving it as well, although the RNG percentages in this game are kind of weird (I get hit by 30% chance attacks all the time lol). Still, it's an awesome game.

mdubs

Banned
Hey guys. I'm a new fan of the series. I played FE7 a while ago and I absolutely loved it. I am now playing FE6 and loving it as well, although the RNG percentages in this game are kind of weird (I get hit by 30% chance attacks all the time lol). Still, it's an awesome game.

Path of Radiance should be your next stop. Or Sacred Stones

Yo FE Gaf, this place is probably heaven for me. I played every FE except the 1 to 3 (way to old for me), so I guess I'm a veteran

The Laguz sucked really IMO. Their growth rate are absolutely pathetic and their stats caps are lower than their King counterpart, they can't even attack untransformed (they can counter why not attack). You better be stick with the laguz King. I was hugely disappointed when I saw that
Kurthnaga was a inferior version of Deghinsea

Poney sucked too like you said.

And I agree with you, the very last part of Radiant Dawn is probably one the most epic moment in the series, while part 4 in itself is ridiculous. Part 1 was good but not really balanced (they should give you at least one more chapter to level up your character and make their growth rate way better). Part 2 was really refreshing and fun and Part 3 was top mega ultra ultimate tier, If I could replay this game by part only like FE7, I think I would do Part 3 a hundred times easily.

It's probably my favorite episode.

oh that's funny, you think getting hit by 30% hit rates is bad when the game is already rigging it in your favor, try playing FE1-5 where a 30% hit rate is actually a 30% chance to hit :p

Play Thracia 776 where there is a chance to miss a heal.

Thracia 776 on a blind playthrough is basically "oh, you got caught by this bullshit? too bad"
image.php

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
So I was winning Chapter 11A of FE6, when all of a sudden, three enemy warriors spawned IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING MAP and OHKO'd the dancer unit.

Fuck this game, it's dumb. That's just fucking cheap.

flohen95

So I was winning Chapter 11A of FE6, when all of a sudden, three enemy warriors spawned IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING MAP and OHKO'd the dancer unit.

Ah yes, the beauty of having reinforcements blindside you since the game doesn't announce them and they get to move on the turn they spawn

I agree, it's cheap. A lot of stuff in the earlier FE games is trial and error imho.

Rutger

Banned

No, you shouldn't have left your dancer near a spawn point. You'll learn how to deal with it, it's not too bad, it's like fog of war, but only around certain points on the map. Stairs, forts, caves, the edges of maps, when you get close to to boss, those can all be dangerous spots so plan accordingly.

I for one am glad enemy turn reinforcements have been brought back to the series. Reinforcements are such a non-issue when they show up just to stand there and let you do whatever you want.

I don't totally agree. These kinds of reinforcements can really help to be more careful but also they are sometimes really dumb and I think that FE6 falls in the second category.

StayDead

Play Thracia 776 where there is a chance to miss a heal.

Also play Gaiden where there's enemies that summon more enemies. This is completely RNG and reloading a save state allows you to fiddle with it, but one wrong move in that game and you're completely screwed.

I still can't beat one of the final missions with all the dragons so I've given up :/

Shengar

New pictures of that Lucina figma. It's awesome.

I thought Figma Lucina just disappeared from this
It gonna take another year before we can see the prototype of non-scale figure Cordelia aren't we? Figma Lucina is neat though, better than what I expected.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
No, you shouldn't have left your dancer near a spawn point. You'll learn how to deal with it, it's not too bad, it's like fog of war, but only around certain points on the map. Stairs, forts, caves, the edges of maps, when you get close to to boss, those can all be dangerous spots so plan accordingly.

I for one am glad enemy turn reinforcements have been brought back to the series. Reinforcements are such a non-issue when they show up just to stand there and let you do whatever you want.

It wasn't a "standard" spawn point. They spawned from a closed village/house right in the middle of the map. There was absolutely no way I could have known that units could spawn from there.

you know, Awakening should've had something similar to FE11/12's multiplayer

watch them pull a Gamefreak and never include this in any other game too lol

Chrom

you know, Awakening should've had something similar to FE11/12's multiplayer

watch them pull a Gamefreak and never include this in any other game too lol

I feel like they didn't do this in Awakening due to the open-ended nature of the game. I think I can kind of see why they didn't add a competitive multiplayer mode.

That said, I would be all for FE returning to that style of multiplayer.

I feel like they didn't do this in Awakening due to the open-ended nature of the game. I think I can kind of see why they didn't add a competitive multiplayer mode.

That said, I would be all for FE returning to that style of multiplayer.

but how else will we be able to settle which sets of pairings are really the best?

:p

double post but fuck it, it's been 3 days since the last one anyway

Is it possible to skip recruiting Cordelia altogether by 2-turning chapter 7?

Chrom

double post but fuck it, it's been 3 days since the last one anyway

Is it possible to skip recruiting Cordelia altogether by 2-turning chapter 7?

That's a good question. I'd love to see this tested.

I mean, since you already have DLC access before then, you could grind Sumia or someone and have them sweep up the map pretty effortlessly.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So Kent just "died" cause I forgot to heal him in lyn's chapter(when you get a pegasus knigh and a archer) and I was making such good progress and almost beat it, I know I dont lose out on anything cept something about a story end but I also know he gets free experience, fuck me.

foxuzamaki

Restarted the chapter and had better results than last time with florina leveling up, everything turned out milouse.

Golnei

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are getting official soundtrack releases next year.

This certainly complements the idea I've been entertaining that Intelligent Systems might remake the two games in the future, heh.

I actually think this means the opposite is more likely - if any significant effort were being made to update or remake the games, I doubt they'd be reprinting the original soundtrack. If this indicates anything, it's a straight port.

And sell remixed soundtrack right?

I hope they get those up eventually as well, it'd be nice to actually own this version of the Divine Dragon theme.

Firemind

So Kent just "died" cause I forgot to heal him in lyn's chapter(when you get a pegasus knigh and a archer) and I was making such good progress and almost beat it, I know I dont lose out on anything cept something about a story end but I also know he gets free experience, fuck me.

I just finished this chapter (purchased this on a whim) and these are Sain's stats:

Oh my. Rest got absolute chaff doe. I ain't even mad.

Should I attempt a no reset run? y/n Never did attempt one before for some reason.

prepromotes can carry FE7 for the most part so whatever, go for it if you want

also something I was thinking of, would you like it if a future game used something similar to Thracia's stat caps (all units have universal caps at 20, obviously this number would probably be raised for a future game, but no more class caps)?

edit: oh wait hold on, let me post a better plot for Chapter 14 of FE6:

At any other time, the scorching heat, barren landscape, and ferocious sandstorms would have tested the resolve of even the most battle-hardened warriors, but despite the harsh environment, a cheerful mood permeated the camp of Roy's Lycia Alliance Army. Though many would have preferred to spend the holiday season in a more peaceful place, the spirit of the season had infected every member of the army with a preternatural optimism.
Lilina awoke to the sound of energetic conversation - not that it would have taken much to wake her in the first place. Racked by anxiety, she had been unable to fall asleep the night before, and it took a second for her to remember why she had been so anxious in the first place: today was the date of the gift exchange.
"Oh, no, I couldn't think of a present for Roy... I hope he likes the Silver Card I got... It can be used anywhere to buy items at half price!"
Lilina stepped out of her tent to investigate the ongoing discussion outside. Half of the camp was up earlier than usual, every person in eager anticipation of the gifts they will receive. Lilina turned her head and overheard Tate and Cecilia chattering nearby.
"General Cecilia, with whom were you assigned to exchange gifts?"
"I'm exchanging gifts with Milady. Don't tell her, but I hope she likes the pair of Boots that I got for her... They're super stylish! They look great on ladies in battle."

A faint blush crept across Cecilia's face.
"What about you, Tate?"
"Oh, I was assigned to Father Saul... That creepy lecher always hits on the pretty girls, but he never talks to me. I considered putting him in his place, but I decided to get him something useful instead."
"What did you get him?"
"... A Warp staff."

Cecilia's eyes grew wide with amazement. She had always wanted a Warp staff since she was a little girl, but could never find one.
A hush fell across the camp as Roy walked over to address the army. The mood of eager anticipation quickly changed to bewilderment, and then disappointment, as the members saw not a joyful grin on Roy's face as expected, but instead a pained grimace.
"I'm sorry to inform you..."
Roy paused for a second.
"I'm sorry to inform all of you that the sandstorm last night blew away the tent in which all of the gifts for the gift exchange were being kept. Given the current state of affairs... The gift exchange will be cancelled."
Silence. Roy turned to walk away, but Lilina suddenly found herself exclaiming loudly.
"No! We can't cancel the gift exchange! We've already put so much effort into getting the gifts! And... We were all looking forward to this! Roy, we have to get those items back!"
A wave of nods spread out from the epicenter on which Lilina stood as a sound of mumbled agreement grew to a faint roar.
"I must object to this! It is dangerous out there! We don't know what lurks in the sandstor--"
"Shut up, old man. You can't die, anyway"

Merlinus shrinked against the multitude of glares pointed in his direction. Roy, sensing the wishes of his audience, spoke decisively.
"If that is the wish of everyone here... Then that is what we shall do! Lycia Alliance Army, move out!"

source

Chrom

Why would anyone take the time to write that.

Regarding having stat caps like in FE3/5, I don't know if I can say I'd be for it. I thought it was a good decision to diversify units better with unique caps.

Golnei

If the next game had a world map setup and a postgame that required capped units, it'd be an awful idea. It might be able to work in a game with limited EXP, but I doubt the series will go in that direction again.

foxuzamaki

I didnt think I'd get responded to for some reason(mostly cause the thread was dead as dinosaurs) but im gonna play some more fire emblem tonight because of it.

foxuzamaki

I do have to say tho, of the some GBA games I bought on VC, fire emblem transitioned the worse, even with smoothening on, whenever they show a portrait picture of say lyn getting her sword or her group of comrades together before they set off on their journey, it still looks terribly pixaleted and doesnt translate well.

I wouldnt mind a fire emblem 7 remake for WiiU

RiggyRob

I do have to say tho, of the some GBA games I bought on VC, fire emblem transitioned the worse, even with smoothening on, whenever they show a portrait picture of say lyn getting her sword or her group of comrades together before they set off on their journey, it still looks terribly pixaleted and doesnt translate well.

I wouldnt mind a fire emblem 7 remake for WiiU

There's not really much point in remaking a sprite-based game, the 3D models in the Tellius Saga would benefit more from it.

Top Bottom