• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

so, personally I think Sigurd follows the Jeigan archetype the best, he's godlike from the start but then he completely stops being useful after the halfway point of FE4

discuss

so, personally I think Sigurd follows the Jeigan archetype the best, he's godlike from the start but then he completely stops being useful after the halfway point of FE4

discuss

he's more extreme than other Jeigans cause his usability comes to a screeching halt midway though the game unlike others where they slowly start getting outclassed ~_~

Sölf

discuss

Isn't he more like an Oifey then, even more then Oifey himself, simply because of his amazing stats and usefulness?

I think Arden is more of a Jeigan than Sigurd. He is pretty tough and useful, but stops being useful quite fast, compared to most other units you get.

Sölf;152028233 said:
Isn't he more like an Oifey then, even more then Oifey himself, simply because of his amazing stats and usefulness?

I think Arden is more of a Jeigan than Sigurd. He is pretty tough and useful, but stops being useful quite fast, compared to most other units you get.

It's ok, it took me a moment to get the joke too.

L95

I concur, if Oifey can be the Oifey even if he's only playable for half the game, Sigurd is the first half's Oifey :B

Draxal

Sölf;152147129 said:
Oh, I understood it, but going with it, I still think Sigurd would fit into the Oifey archetype instead of the Jeigan archetype.

He is, but I'm one that really don't consider the Oifey archetype a real archetype since it didn't originate in FE1 and is pretty much a subset of the Jeigan archetype.

But ... then again I consider the Ayra/Ira and Shannan archetypes to be valid ..so I don't know.

For the sake of discussion, list of my favorite archetypes in order.

1. Ogma/Oguma archetype - the good hero archetype.
2. Navarre/Navarl achetype - the brooding swordmaster archetype.
3. Abel/Kain archetype - the red/green cavaliers.
4. Camus archetype - the sympathetic villain.
5. Est archetype - the last unit that starts off weak but has really good growths
6.. Jeigan - the promoted paladin/great knights exp hog archetype

Man http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Archetype

I forgot how many archetypes there are, and they don't even count the Ayra/Shannan ones.

And I"m really wondering how Amiibos will interact with Fire Emblem If. Unlock a stage or character? As I'm pretty sure outrealms wills be involved with every new Fire Emblem as it's the easiest way to handle dlc, I'd be fine with either.

real talk: Jeigan isn't even that bad, if you want to you can keep him just as viable as the rest of your party because lolFE1statboosters, whereas Oifey is a chump that gets passed up by Celice and friends

Chrom

Anyone here actually interested in going to that 25th anniversary concert? I know a guy who's interested because he'll happen to be around the area by then.

haha, it's so funny seeing FE12 Lunatic generals with more speed than defense due to how the enemy stat bonuses don't give defense/resistance

Chrom

haha, it's so funny seeing FE12 Lunatic generals with more speed than defense due to how the enemy stat bonuses don't give defense/resistance

You planning on playing any other FE games this year? I recently started considering revisiting FE1 sometime. Not sure if I will though.

You planning on playing any other FE games this year? I recently started considering revisiting FE1 sometime. Not sure if I will though.

playing PoR+RD again

also I'm assuming it's impossible to kill all the swordmasters in Hot-Spring Scramble on turn 1? I'm playing through Awakening DLC to see how many can be 1-turned lol

Etria

So, having been a fan of Ike starting from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I finally played through Path of Radiance on Hard as a FE newcomer.

Following the Greil Mercenaries on their journey to reunite Elincia with the Crimean throne while fighting against Daein under the influence of the dastardly Ashnard, I was thrown into a richly captured world with such vibrant characters, and awesome gameplay. I loved the laguz tribes and their various backstories, and the multitudes of characters that joined the group as I progressed.

Learning about the battle system, the advantages and disadvantages to each weapon and type of magic, was quite enjoyable. The positioning of units was far more important than in other SRPGs I've played, such as FFT. Many times, I watched as a unit fell to poor placement. (Unfortunately, sometimes enemy crits also contributed.) Needless to say, I resetted multiple times, and finished the game without losing any units.

Immediately afterwards, I started playing a copy of Radiant Dawn on Normal that I'd purchased before, which I had yet to finish. While it doesn't captivate me like PoR did, it does tie some loose threads from the previous game that I was wondering about
(such as Soren's mark on his face - he's Branded like I suspected when Micaiah was revealed to be one as well; and I didn't guess that Zelgius was also the Black Knight).
It also tries for a more epic scope of storytelling, which meant that for some reason, I just didn't feel for the characters as much as when it was mainly focused on Ike's group.

There were some changes that I was unused to, like the limited support, which I felt to be a step back.

However, I'm so psyched to play through more FEs when time permits! :D Thinking about FE:A as my next one.

I just regret that I've never tried any of the FE games before now. Wish I could've been born in an older generation and experienced them as they came out :p

speaking of other Awakening stuff, does anyone actually know the enemy stats+skills in Double Duel? I googled it and got nothing, which doesn't surprise me given that 99% of people who own the game have probably never touched it (including me lol)

Chrom

playing PoR+RD again

also I'm assuming it's impossible to kill all the swordmasters in Hot-Spring Scramble on turn 1? I'm playing through Awakening DLC to see how many can be 1-turned lol

I have no clue, honestly. It's been a while since I played that map, but I suppose it should theoretically possible if you have the ideal range plus Galeforce.

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

speaking of other Awakening stuff, does anyone actually know the enemy stats+skills in Double Duel? I googled it and got nothing, which doesn't surprise me given that 99% of people who own the game have probably never touched it (including me lol)

I don't know this, but I'd like to point out that I actually have played through the majority of the Double Duel battle sets with a colleague shortly after the game came out.

Wow, so many people in this topic that are declaring Thracia 776 to be the hardest Nintendo game. I'm surprised that this many people even played it on NeoGAF.

I will say that it's one of the hardest in my eyes too, if not the hardest.

Thracia's weird in that it's probably the hardest Fire Emblem on a blind playthrough, but one of the easiest when you actually know what you're doing

Im reminded of how people on serenesforest.net often 'meh' about Thracia 776's, saying that its difficulty being overrated. I agree that most of the difficulty is in tricks and figuring out how to get past them, but I think there's worth in a game that wants you to solve its puzzle.

Serenes has most of the most hardcore FE players on the net who have probably done speedruns, draftruns, etc. for the games. It's sometimes easy to forget what you went through on your first playthrough when you just finished your 4th.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lost Levels is a piece of cake! (Because my hands know every single button press to make from doing them 5 million times as a kid)

The same is to be said of Fire Emblem 5. It's one of the most brutal turn based games I have ever played going in blind.

Sölf

I still have to play FE 5 beyond the very first chapter. Even FE 4 is pretty hard if you don't know what to expect (and because divine weapons are just broken). I had much fun playing through it, but boy did I have to reload often some times.

Even if you have access to it, it's still a pain as the enemies are partially randomised and you can't view their skills unless they activate.

But yeah, it's probably too niche for anybody to figure out... except maybe me, if I had time XD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My friend forces me to do it every time he makes a new save. If you have characters ready to do the final DLC you'll blow them away. If you have well trained kids you'll blow them away.

Sölf;153604550 said:
I still have to play FE 5 beyond the very first chapter. Even FE 4 is pretty hard if you don't know what to expect (and because divine weapons are just broken). I had much fun playing through it, but boy did I have to reload often some times.

FE5 actually feels mostly conventional in the first few chapters, except chapter 2x because fog of war doesnt just obscure the enemies, but the whole enviroment outside of your vision. But once you get to chapter 5 that's when things start getting really crazy.

L95

I guess I've played through FE5 2 times, my first playthrough I was kinda screwed(my better units were fatigued) on the final chapter. I probably could've beat it if I savestate abused enough lol

I hear the final boss of FE5 is a joke. Actually I hear that once you get Ced (assuming you pick him over Cyas), the whole game gets much easier. Which is fitting, since it's frigging Ced.

I hear the final boss of FE5 is a joke. Actually I hear that once you get Ced (assuming you pick him over Cyas), the whole game gets much easier. Which is fitting, since it's frigging Ced.

the last 3-4 chapters are easy with or without Ced (or in the case of 24x, still bullshit) because by that point it's already endgame and all your units are already gods lol

Chrom

I might be remembering wrong, but I do believe FE5's final boss is honestly not even spectacular stats-wise. It's really a shame.

I guess I've played through FE5 2 times, my first playthrough I was kinda screwed(my better units were fatigued) on the final chapter. I probably could've beat it if I savestate abused enough lol

Did you just recently rank up to full member status? If so, congrats.

Ezalc

Question guys, is there any place that sells a cartridge with a translated rom of FE6? I've always wanted to own one.

L95

I must've bugged something out on my first playthrough, as Sety/Ced never appeared... ;-;

He showed up fine on my second playthrough, so idk what happened.

The final chapter of FE5 is a bit more than just a boss, IIRC, there are 6 bosses you need to beat, then have 6 units stand on the tiles the bosses were on then beat the real final boss, who is indeed a wimp.

Question guys, is there any place that sells a cartridge with a translated rom of FE6? I've always wanted to own one.

I don't know any sites personally, but if you do find one, make sure it's using the new translation. (Among fixing up the script, they actually got a decent hacker to edit the game intro so the text is translated, among other things like the level up screen having 3 characters for stats (LUK instead of LK) instead of two.)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I bought a copy off Retro Game Quest, the only vendor I could find that offered the game. Old translation there. I've still got to play it properly, but the game runs and saves and really looks like an original GBA game.

I'm playing Fire Emblem Gaiden right now and I feel a bit unsecure as to what the game expects the player to do wrt optional fights. I'm still early in the game but enemies seem extremely strong for this early in the game. There are grinding opportunities in form of optional levels that can be played repeatedly, but I don't know what the game expects the player to do in order to get the right balance. Usually I just play all Fire Emblems without any grinding, but Gaiden seems to "want" me to grind. What's the right dosage? Can the game realistically be played through without grinding?

Chrom

I'm playing Fire Emblem Gaiden right now and I feel a bit unsecure as to what the game expects the player to do wrt optional fights. I'm still early in the game but enemies seem extremely strong for this early in the game. There are grinding opportunities in form of optional levels that can be played repeatedly, but I don't know what the game expects the player to do in order to get the right balance. Usually I just play all Fire Emblems without any grinding, but Gaiden seems to "want" me to grind. What's the right dosage? Can the game realistically be played through without grinding?

I got the impression that the game encouraged you to grind too, but I don't know whether it's realistic to beat the game without doing it or not. I remember that there's a Dracoshield that can be dropped by a special enemy in the final map of Chapter 1, but he's so powerful that it felt to me like you had to grind if you wanted it.

NeonZ

I bought a copy off Retro Game Quest, the only vendor I could find that offered the game. Old translation there. I've still got to play it properly, but the game runs and saves and really looks like an original GBA game.

I think the only way to beat Gaiden without grinding is to abuse summoner enemies for experience, but that's basically grinding anyway.

Yoshi

I got the impression that the game encouraged you to grind too, but I don't know whether it's realistic to beat the game without doing it or not. I remember that there's a Dracoshield that can be dropped by a special enemy in the final map of Chapter 1, but he's so powerful that it felt to me like you had to grind if you wanted it.

While I don't like grinding, I'll do it if needed, but the important question still is: What amount of grinding is the right one to get a well-balanced difficulty level? I really hate that, if the game just didn't have any opportunity to grind it would be way simpler to determine how to play the game :(.
I think the only way to beat Gaiden without grinding is to abuse summoner enemies for experience, but that's basically grinding anyway.
Great :/. You also do not happen to have a good rule of thump how much to grind in order to keep the game strategically interesting without making it near-impossible or all too luck-based (of course, in a game with random-based hit-rates and criticals a game gets beatable rather quickly if you are fine with trying a million times)?

L95

That's one of those 'boss preview' fights, you're obviously not supposed to fight him, you'd have to grind your units to midgame levels (Well, just Alm plus Silk high enough to learn warp, I guess). He still drops the dragon shield when you're supposed to kill him later. EDIT: Apparently he doesn't have the dragonshield when you fight him later, never mind. But like I said, the grinding you would need to beat him would put Alm so ahead he'd probably solo the game with a healer anyway >.>

In general, you probably should grind a bit. Play 'easy' mode, all it does is double exp gain, and Gaiden has pitiful exp output.

About the exact level you should grind to.... idk.
I do recommend promoting the moment a unit hits promotion level. There are no promotion bonuses in this game, promoting just brings the unit up to the promoted classes bases, and growths are overall pretty bad in FE2.

Yoshi

Play 'easy' mode, all it does is double exp gain, and Gaiden has pitiful exp output.
What's easy mode? The game did not offer me different difficulties.

About the exact level you should grind to.... idk.
I do recommend promoting the moment a unit hits promotion level. There are no promotion bonuses in this game, promoting just brings the unit up to the promoted classes bases, and growths are overall pretty bad in FE2.
Wow, that#s the first time I hear such a recommendation for a Fire Emblem, don't I just lose stat upgrades this way, because I just "throw away" ~15 level ups?

Wow, that#s the first time I hear such a recommendation for a Fire Emblem, don't I just lose stat upgrades this way, because I just "throw away" ~15 level ups?

FE4

and also generally promoting at 20 isn't optimal to begin with, outside of FE9/10 where you auto-promote on hitting level 21

Chrom

You can start a new game in easy mode if you hold down Start and Select when you select New Game. Everyone gains double experience points and I believe more items are dropped, but that's really it as far as I know. Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) has something like this too, dubbed elite mode.

Gaiden's like Awakening in that you can level up and reclass indefinitely, but you never lose any stats in the process. There is virtually zero reason for you to stay in a base class.

Sorry, theprodigy, what do you want to tell me with "FE4"?
in FE4 your level cap is 30, and promoting doesn't reset levels, so you might as well promote as soon as you hit 20 (the earliest point you can promote), because there's literally no reason not to
You can start a new game in easy mode if you hold down Start and Select when you select New Game. Everyone gains double experience points and I believe more items are dropped, but that's really it as far as I know. Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) has something like this too, dubbed elite mode.

I thought that was FE5? or is it actually both

Yoshi

Hmm, so realistically, I will spend a lot of time grinding in normal mode, so that it is better to restart, or doesn't that make a huge difference? I have completed the first six battles and did a bit of grinding for my flying unit and the mage (which both were basically useless otherwise).

L95

Like I said, everyone's growths in FE2 are so terrible the stat advantage you get is not worth the time investment to get them to 20/20 due to universal low exp gain.

FE2 Easy mode

Gaiden's like Awakening in that you can level up and reclass indefinitely, but you never lose any stats in the process. There is virtually zero reason for you to stay in a base class.

You can't reclass indefinitely in FE2 outside of one special case. Dread Fighter can 'promote' to Villager to loop around forever, or take another class path. This lets someone like Deen become a mage lol.

Top Bottom