• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

leroidys

Went back and finished Awakening so that I'd have it wrapped up before STEAM comes out.

Man, you guys weren't kidding. The game only gets worse as it progresses. The last ~5 fights are so braindead it's painful.

I'm more surprised that people keep them on. I've turned them off in every FE game, even the GBA ones, which people seem to really like for some reason. Personally, I find animations terribly repetitive and a waste of time.

I understand how people can get tired of them, but watching my units fight for their lives never gets old for me, even in the NES set. I suppose if I was a grinder in Fire Emblem then it could do me in, but I haven't gotten awakening, barely did grinding in FE8, and only Arena grinded once in other games (not counting FE4) so it never got to me.

Sölf

I am probably the only person who only turns them off while either grinding excessively (like, 5x Golden Gaffe etc) or after dieing repeatedly and getting annoyed because it takes ages to get to the same point. But other then that, animations all the way!

Nemaides

Sölf;149486129 said:
I am probably the only person who only turns them off while either grinding excessively (like, 5x Golden Gaffe etc) or after dieing repeatedly and getting annoyed because it takes ages to get to the same point. But other then that, animations all the way!

I also turn the animations off if I'm doing a second or third playthrough. If it's my first time playing the game I only turn them off in the cases you mentioned. It's painful to repeat a whole map just because a nasty unit decided to die at the last moment.

StayDead

I usually leave them on for a bit until I hit the point of exhaustion and turn them off.

That's about the same as me. If I get a new unit I'll shove them on to see what the animation is like for them, then turn them off again if I've got to that point.

Lunar15

Playing RD again, I realized what Awakening's story lacked: Squabbling nobles! It's just not an FE story without random dukes and senators ruining everything 100% of the time.

It's hilarious to me how every plot point in RD is literally: "Oh my god, these nobles suck so much." There's a senator or noble behind basically everything. Major Spoiler:
Lehran would have been better off just murdering all of the senators. Coming up with a ridiculous "let's make everyone fight so they all die!" is kiiinda stupid. All that political influence and he can't just keep the senate from being a bunch of spoiled brats. Instead uses it to ignite conflict that further proves his point.

I also think it's kind of hilarious how Radiant Dawn gives an entire chapter to Nephenee and Brom. An entire chapter.

Rutger

Banned
and that's another reason why Radiant Dawn is the best, no other game would do that!

Technically, FE7 Hector mode gives an entire chapter to Hector and Mathew.

Not that I'd consider that a good thing, maps with a very low number of playable characters aren't that fun.

Technically, FE7 Hector mode gives an entire chapter to Hector and Mathew.

Not that I'd consider that a good thing, maps with a very low number of playable characters aren't that fun.

Hector is a lord, that isn't groundbreaking at all

and even beyond that, Lucia and Geoffrey also get maps they lead in (and even Elincia/Tibarn, despite being more important, still aren't lords)

Quick question, Taguels....Panne in particular. Is it worth it to turn her into a different class and when does she stop leveling? She is at level 26 right now D:

maxes out at level 30, you really should've reclassed her to Wyvern Rider ASAP but since you're already that high up I'd wait until hitting level 30 then going to Wyvern Lord

Fevaweva

Quick question, Taguels....Panne in particular. Is it worth it to turn her into a different class and when does she stop leveling? She is at level 26 right now D:

Yeah, Taguels aren't really amazing because of their lack of range and limited variety of weapons. Reclass her and don't look back.

Rutger

Banned

I don't know, I think Hector going from about one chapter of screen time in FE6 to a major character with his own story mode in FE7 is pretty notable.

I also wasn't entirely serious about it being comparable. The same can't really happen without splitting up our army, which I for one am very glad was a RD only thing.

Fevaweva

and even beyond that, Lucia and Geoffrey also get maps they lead in (and even Elincia/Tibarn, despite being more important, still aren't lords)

maxes out at level 30, you really should've reclassed her to Wyvern Rider ASAP but since you're already that high up I'd wait until hitting level 30 then going to Wyvern Lord

Yeah, Taguels aren't really amazing because of their lack of range and limited variety of weapons. Reclass her and don't look back.

Ok, I will do it asap. I was just thinking that if I do reclass her as a Wyvern Rider she is weak to like 4 different things: Arrows, Pegasusi (?), Wyverns AND horses. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I will do it asap. I was just thinking that if I do reclass her as a Wyvern Rider she is weak to like 4 different things: Arrows, Pegasusi (?), Wyverns AND horses. Thanks for the help!

"Only" three things: flying, dragon and horse/beast.

Dragon and horse-slaying weapons are rarely held by enemies though; you should be fine if you scout the enemy's weaponry.

Turok_TTZ

nothing like passing the time after getting your first ban from neogaf like starting a lunatic+ run in awakening...

reading a few posts back... in what world is Roy useless in FE6? Roy was solid for me as my elite trio of Roy, Rutger and Dyeck cleaned up map after map. Are those claiming such the same that claim sophia is a waste of time raising? If you cant raise sophia, ellen, or lilina for that matter, you're playing the game horribly wrong.

I enjoyed FE6 out of all the gba FE games the most. Too bad my copy of it is long lost now. What a shame... I don't have a gba to play it on either. i will never stop regretting selling off my ds phat.

Rutger

Banned
nothing like passing the time after getting your first ban from neogaf like starting a lunatic+ run in awakening...

reading a few posts back... in what world is Roy useless in FE6? Roy was solid for me as my elite trio of Roy, Rutger and Dyeck cleaned up map after map. Are those claiming such the same that claim sophia is a waste of time raising? If you cant raise sophia, ellen, or lilina for that matter, you're playing the game horribly wrong.

I enjoyed FE6 out of all the gba FE games the most. Too bad my copy of it is long lost now. What a shame... I don't have a gba to play it on either. i will never stop regretting selling off my ds phat.

Maybe you were really lucky with level ups?
Or maybe Normal Mode is a lot more forgiving than I remember.

But Roy is as bad in FE6 as he is in Melee. Obviously there's the late promotion, but his stats generally aren't going to let him do much. Compared to many other lords in the series, it's a struggle just to keep him alive from map to map, leaving him to typically take on passive roles(something I actually like, but whatever).

Also, it's not that people can't raise Sophia, Ellen, or Lilina, but a question of why should I. They're all more work than their counterparts, without any greater reward. The only reason to use any of them would be if I want a harder game, or I just really like the character.

And what is this "playing the game horribly wrong" nonsense? So long as one doesn't get a gameover, who cares how they play the game. Who we choose to use in our army, whether we want to grind it out in the arena or not, and how we work with permadeath are all things for the player to decide, and no choice made on things like those can be called "wrong", otherwise we would have never had the choice in the first place.

Tommy DJ

Have you played FE6 Hard Mode? For reference these are the mercenaries found in Chapter 16:

9j2QAok.jpg

Fun fact: Roy needs to be around Level 18 in order to not get doubled by this guy. I don't believe you if you're saying Roy has any significant combat contributions in FE6 Hard Mode. The enemies hit way too hard, fast, or have too much HP and defense for Roy to hurt with his low strength and often weapon triangle disadvantage.

Have you played FE6 Hard Mode? For reference these are the mercenaries found in Chapter 16:

9j2QAok.jpg

Fun fact: Roy needs to be around Level 18 in order to not get doubled by this guy. I don't believe you if you're saying Roy has any significant combat contributions in FE6 Hard Mode. The enemies hit way too hard, fast, or have too much HP and defense for Roy to hurt with his low strength and often weapon triangle disadvantage.

you only need 30 attack and 21 AS to ORKO those chumps, so easy
if you're Perceval

Turok_TTZ

its too easy doing normal in FE6 so I always play it on hard when i had the game. while it's true roy cant double that merc, he can totally take hits from them.

Now I am reminded of how easy the enemies were... If I had one complaint of FE6, it was that imo, hard mode should have been normal mode or they should have added a maniac/lunatic mode for that game. best story of the gba games but man was it easy.

as for level ups, well I am very lucky when it comes to roy and sophia. its usually ellen, lance, cecilia i have problems with (I usually pick out who I'm gonna go endgame with early). dont get me started on cecilia. mage general of etruria who is a Valkyrie with the most basest of stats? what a waste. clarine would make for better Valkyrie.

Always liked Karel. good enough to tag along if levels ups for certain punks haven't been kind to me even in hard. Fa is the hardest for me. mostly because its hard to justify leveling fa up when you have limited use of dragonstone. not worth trouble... (never stops me from trying though)

also, fuck lunatic+. fuck the bs counter and hawkeye. i can live with luna+, i can live with pavise+/aegis+. I can even live with pass. but counter and hawkeye? fuck off.

not struggling in lunatic+, but god damn when i actually do resets. infuriating.

hey Aveyn Knight, have you figured out how to edit growth rates in FE12 yet :p

Yeah, but I don't really want to explain it >___<

Here's one topic where I posted my notes on the matter: Link here

Basically the growth rates are naturally ciphered and, without getting rid of the cipher, you basically have to adapt to the cipher to get the numbers you want.

It's not that bad for player growths because you can take advantage of their enemy growth rates being all zero to figure out the cipher pattern.

But for class growths, you're on your own as most classes have non-zero growths for players and enemies. Here's one tip, if it helps: look for the Dummy class if there is one. Dunno if it's the same in FE12, but in FE13, Dummy has zeroes for player and enemy growths.

its too easy doing normal in FE6 so I always play it on hard when i had the game. while it's true roy cant double that merc, he can totally take hits from them.

Now I am reminded of how easy the enemies were... If I had one complaint of FE6, it was that imo, hard mode should have been normal mode or they should have added a maniac/lunatic mode for that game. best story of the gba games but man was it easy.
Huh? FE6 is significantly harder than the other GBA games...

Tommy DJ

I'm almost convinced you haven't played Hard Mode or have a poor memory of FE6.

The problem here isn't that Roy can't double that mercenary. The problem is that he is nearly always doubled by that mercenary.

Another fun fact: that mercenary has a killing edge and does 25 damage per hit. Roy needs to be Level 19 or higher in order to survive a single round against that mercenary.

I'm almost convinced you haven't played Hard Mode or have a poor memory of FE6.

The problem here isn't that Roy can't double that mercenary. The problem is that he is nearly always doubled by that mercenary.

Another fun fact: that mercenary has a killing edge and does 25 damage per hit. Roy needs to be Level 19 or higher in order to survive a single round against that mercenary.

hey now, it's actually level 18, because 13.8 speed rounded up is 14 which avoids getting doubled ;)

course there's always the chance he gets crit and dies LOL

Sölf

Radiant Dawn IIRC

I think that is the closest as it gets, but then again, Radiant Dawn has no "real" support dialogues like all other games. It's more or less just a buff, but you don't get to know anything new about the characters if they support each other.

Sölf;150650045 said:
I think that is the closest as it gets, but then again, Radiant Dawn has no "real" support dialogues like all other games. It's more or less just a buff, but you don't get to know anything new about the characters if they support each other.

I wish they would make support conversations for every match in a future game. Would be a ton of work but damn that would be awesome.

NeonZ

I could only see that happening, aside from a really small cast, if most conversations were like the parent/child ones in Awakening, where most of the script is reused and you just get some tweaks based on the character. I don't know how the conversations would be divided though. Maybe each character would have a certain number of conversations and they'd be triggered by order, maybe with some divisions based on gender and classes.

Radiant Dawn's system kind of annoyed me not only due to the lack of conversations, but also because each character had at best one support pairing that was acknowledged by the ending. I don't get why writing some extra ending blurbs was apparently so hard, or even just generic paired endings, considering how they had those generic 4 line conversations.

honestly had they gone through with the plan of giving certain A supports actual, well, support conversations in Radiant Dawn, it probably would've been pretty good

Busaiku

Yeah, and it has the 2014 trademark.
Just came with instructions for electronic manual, didn't even have a Club Nintendo code.

Busaiku

The only manual I can find on eBay is $25 for a ragged thing...
I wonder if I can get my cousin to give me his...

I just like having manuals.

Busaiku

I just remembered the thing that we need back most in Fire Emblem if, after feat.

Sword beams.
No more of this sword throwing garbage.

NeonZ

I don't get why sword throwing was even a thing. It's an animation only used for Legendary weapons. Even if we assume that it was made for the Amatsu and then reused for the Ragnel, it still doesn't really make much sense for the Amatsu. I guess there's also the chance that they might have actually had throwing knives that were removed from the final game and then they just recycled those animations...

Tommy DJ

Am I glad that I remembered to repair that Wolf Beil and Rapier during Victory or Death.

yoHXzcN.jpg

(5 star assets rank is 847,000)

Here's hoping they bring back a similar ranking system in the new Fire Emblem game because it provides a surprisingly involving experience that no other SRPG really has.

There were three pretty impressive figures announcement for Fire Emblem:

Cordelia, yay!

anyway, totally canon Awakening pairings

ChromxSumia
VaikexLissa
FrederickxMaribelle
VirionxCherche
KellamxSully
StahlxMiriel
RickenxPanne
GaiusxTharja
GregorxNowi
LibraxCordelia
HenryxOlivia

LaurentxLucina
OwainxKjelle
InigoxCynthia
BradyxSevera
GeromexNah
YarnexNoire

forever alone status: Robin (and by proxy, Morgan), Lon'qu (lmao), Donnel (ha, stupid villager!)

lol j/k

Top Bottom