• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You don't need to grind in any FE with enough restarting. Though IIRC Lunatic + can literally put you in unwindable situations early on due to random skill assignment to enemies....

I really wonder what random events and possibly unwinnable scenarios (depending on luck, not on strategy) have to do with difficulty :/.

L95

I really wonder what random events and possibly unwinnable scenarios (depending on luck, not on strategy) have to do with difficulty :/.

I said it was due to skills enemies are randomly assigned. There are skills like hawkeye, that give the enemy 100% hit chance, always, or Vantage+ in which even when you attack the enemy they get to attack first all the time. Those skills don't exist in lower difficulties. If enough enemies get these skills when you're too low of a level it's pretty much impossible. (Which is why these types of skills should never be assigned randomly...)

But like I said, these are Lunatic + only skills, you'll never encounter them otherwise, aside from one of the DLC maps.

Yoshi

I said it was due to skills enemies are randomly assigned. There are skills like hawkeye, that give the enemy 100% hit chance, always, or Vantage+ in which even when you attack the enemy they get to attack first all the time. Those skills don't exist in lower difficulties. If enough enemies get these skills when you're too low of a level it's pretty much impossible. (Which is why these types of skills should never be assigned randomly...)

But like I said, these are Lunatic + only skills, you'll never encounter them otherwise, aside from one of the DLC maps.

Yeah, I understood what you said, but I cannot understand why Intelligent Systems designed the "higher difficulty" like that. If anything, the higher difficulty should be less based on chance in order to more tightly design the challenges.

L95

Ah, sorry.

Yeah, I don't really get it. Though I think IS did quite a few questionable things with Awakening but you'll get there when you get there and I don't want to taint any perceptions :B

I have played Awakening already when it released and I don't plan on playing Lunatic +.

-facepalm- sorry, I thought you were playing them in order, but you mentioned playing Awakening earlier I think.

Yoshi

Ah, sorry.

Yeah, I don't really get it. Though I think IS did quite a few questionable things with Awakening but you'll get there when you get there and I don't want to taint any perceptions :B
I have played Awakening already when it released and I don't plan on playing Lunatic +.

So I'm playing FE:A on Hard and haven't played an FE game since the original US release on GBA. How hard does hard get? I've gotten a lot of less-than-stellar level ups with several characters (+skill or +skill +res :\), is min/maxing important at this difficulty? Also Chapter 3 took me about 10 tries to get through without losing someone, should I restart on an easier level? Chapter 4 I just beat on my first try, though.

NeonZ

So I'm playing FE:A on Hard and haven't played an FE game since the original US release on GBA. How hard does hard get? I've gotten a lot of less-than-stellar level ups with several characters (+skill or +skill +res :\), is min/maxing important at this difficulty? Also Chapter 3 took me about 10 tries to get through without losing someone, should I restart on an easier level? Chapter 4 I just beat on my first try, though.

Just continue playing. In a worst case scenario you could level up characters outside of the main story, but you really shouldn't need to do that on hard. Awakening's growth rates are generally very high, so you don't need to worry about reseting for that - well, at least not outside of Lunatic's first few chapters.

Just continue playing. In a worst case scenario you could level up characters outside of the main story, but you really shouldn't need to do that on hard. Awakening's growth rates are generally very high, so you don't need to worry about reseting for that - well, at least not outside of Lunatic's first few chapters.

Awesome! I'll stick with it then, thanks!

Yoshi

Oh man, I've reached chapter 4 (of five, right?) in Fire Emblem Gaiden and the game demands another round of grinding. I'm really getting sick of the thief's cave...

Yoshi

Yes, I'm sure, but thanks for the advice :). Mummies should do well ^^.

Yoshi

Chapter 4 starts at the Water Gates by the way, maybe you put it a bit further up the map ^^?

why do I get the feeling that you do not actually need to grind in that game, beyond the waves that occasionally spawn on the map that are essentially forced

also, I hope you are promoting everyone ASAP, it's not like anyone's gonna get a bunch of stats with those shitty growths anyway

L95

Yeah.

Oh, and yeah, chapter 5 is the last one. I consider it to be a shorter chapter.
It's Alm's group only until the very end, and there aren't any new world map portions, you enter Rigel castle's basement/dungeon thing
. (I don't know how much you care about spoilers but spoiler'd because spoilers, yes.

Yoshi

why do I get the feeling that you do not actually need to grind in that game, beyond the waves that occasionally spawn on the map that are essentially forced

also, I hope you are promoting everyone ASAP, it's not like anyone's gonna get a bunch of stats with those shitty growths anyway

No, I've not been promoting asap, I just play on until I get to a point where my units are to weak to really damage the enemies and then go back to thief's cave, leveling a select few units and promoting them. However, due to the witches it's now quite uncomfortable to have super-weak characters on the party. I'd love to just not take them with me. Also, I'm quite impatient wrt grinding, which probably increases my complaining to levels people usually would find inappropiate for the amount that is really needed.

No, I've not been promoting asap, I just play on until I get to a point where my units are to weak to really damage the enemies and then go back to thief's cave, leveling a select few units and promoting them. However, due to the witches it's now quite uncomfortable to have super-weak characters on the party. I'd love to just not take them with me. Also, I'm quite impatient wrt grinding, which probably increases my complaining to levels people usually would find inappropiate for the amount that is really needed.

argh you're just making the game harder on yourself that way

Yoshi

Well, I'm done with Fire Emblem Gaiden now. Overall, the game had some nice ideas, particularly dropping the limitation on number of item uses and the two-team-concept, overall balancing brings the game down so much though that from my perspective, it's the weakest of all Fire Emblem games. Due to its uncommon nature I'd still recommend playing it if you are a Fire Emblem fan.

I've still got two Japan-only games laying around: Fire Emblem Binding Blade and the second DS Fire Emblem. Which one should I play first (I still have some time left though, first I'll complete Chrono Trigger)?

Well, I'm done with Fire Emblem Gaiden now. Overall, the game had some nice ideas, particularly dropping the limitation on number of item uses and the two-team-concept, overall balancing brings the game down so much though that from my perspective, it's the weakest of all Fire Emblem games. Due to its uncommon nature I'd still recommend playing it if you are a Fire Emblem fan.

I've still got two Japan-only games laying around: Fire Emblem Binding Blade and the second DS Fire Emblem. Which one should I play first (I still have some time left though, first I'll complete Chrono Trigger)?

If you're going to play both eventually, Binding Blade.

Otherwise I'd go with New Mystery of the Emblem.

Yoshi

I'm definitely playing both, I've paid for both afterall ;). Also I plan on playing all Japan-only Fire Emblems this year: 1 & 2 down, 6 & 12 upcoming, 3, 4 and 5 in the future.

Tommy DJ

Yeah, I understood what you said, but I cannot understand why Intelligent Systems designed the "higher difficulty" like that. If anything, the higher difficulty should be less based on chance in order to more tightly design the challenges.

Intelligent Designs likes to implement really stupid game design in the most difficult difficulties. To be fair, its not really meant to be fair or all that fun. Its clearly a masochistic difficulty for players who find the game normally too easy.

Despite this, if you've planned out how you aim to tackle the game mode in advance, the whole randomness aspect is manageable in my opinion. It just means you have to power game from the get go (eg. use tonics, promote units early to get rallies, Panne is actually good).

That's really the thing about the more difficult Fire Emblem game modes. It becomes a game of accounting and management basically. Like, if you're playing Hector Hard Mode and not save scumming, I don't think Cog of Destiny can be completed reliably without Pure Waters...which you have to go out of your way to buy 8 chapters earlier.

The whole unavoidable bullshit issue is generally limited to specific maps in the early game. The only two on the top of my head are Shadow Dragon's Chapter 1 and Awakening's Chapter 2.

Just finished watching a playthrough of FE9 and 10 on Youtube.

So everything that happened in both games was the result of
one dude's failed suicide attempt?

FE goods that will be sold during Comiket Special at end of this month
20150304_0328_2img.jpg
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/fet_info.html
I want all of them :(

Aubergine

Neo Member
FE goods that will be sold during Comiket Special at end of this month

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/fet_info.html
I want all of them :(

I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a decent way of acquiring these through means of importing. I understand it's at a convention, so the probability is probably low on that option.

I do hope they sell enough there to make it worthwhile to produce more and make it more readily available!

Chrom

I notice the soundtrack CD is said to have 18 songs, but there are only 13 or so games to choose from. Maybe they'll include the rare rendition of the theme from BS Fire Emblem?

I notice the soundtrack CD is said to have 18 songs, but there are only 13 or so games to choose from. Maybe they'll include the rare rendition of the theme from BS Fire Emblem?

That hadn't even occurred to me.

Maybe they'll have the Radiant Dawn E3 version too?

....Radiant Dawn has leadership stars? Damn, I've played RD through 3 times and never noticed this.

I'm gonna go feel stupid in a corner now.

It also explains why chapter 1-F is such a pain. You have a party with 0 leadership stars vs a party with the leader that has 3.

Because Micaiah is awful.
you're awful
....Radiant Dawn has leadership stars? Damn, I've played RD through 3 times and never noticed this.

I'm gonna go feel stupid in a corner now.
yup, out of the characters that actually count as leaders in a map, Micaiah has 0 (why), Elincia has 3, Nephenee has 0 (lmao), Lucia has 2, Geoffrey has 3, Ike has 3, and Tibarn has 4

meanwhile Caineghis' 5 stars go to waste

Chrom

That hadn't even occurred to me.

Maybe they'll have the Radiant Dawn E3 version too?

That would be welcome!

I just noticed the fine print regarding the soundtrack. It seems to say that Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening aren't included, huh.

That would be welcome!

I just noticed the fine print regarding the soundtrack. It seems to say that Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening aren't included, huh.

But on the other hand, that means we know for sure that Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 ARE being included. Sounds like an overall win for me ;D.

I'll admit here that only a couple of PoR songs really stuck out to me, far less than in most of the prior games. Awakening seems to have a great soundtrack from what I've heard though, and I haven't personally played RD.

prateeko

Quick questioning about awakening by someone who is new to the series. As fas as master and second seals go, if I accidentally use a master seal on somebody, can I use the second seal on them (once at level 10) to take them back to the base class they were before I master sealed them, essentially giving myself an infinite loop if I really wanted one?

RiggyRob

Quick questioning about awakening by someone who is new to the series. As fas as master and second seals go, if I accidentally use a master seal on somebody, can I use the second seal on them (once at level 10) to take them back to the base class they were before I master sealed them, essentially giving myself an infinite loop if I really wanted one?

Yep, you can do it right away, no need to wait til the promoted class's level 10. It's a way of giving yourself more level ups.

Say you have a level 19 Myrmidon, and you use a Master Seal to promote it to Swordmaster by accident. You could use a Second Seal on it immediately to change it back to a level 1 Myrmidon, effectively giving yourself another 19 possible level ups.

prateeko

Yep, you can do it right away, no need to wait til the promoted class's level 10. It's a way of giving yourself more level ups.

Say you have a level 19 Myrmidon, and you use a Master Seal to promote it to Swordmaster by accident. You could use a Second Seal on it immediately to change it back to a level 1 Myrmidon, effectively giving yourself another 19 possible level ups.

Awesome. I master sealed people before I really knew what the game was about and wasn't sure if I was totally screwed. So basically this is a way to keep leveling up and pick up skills and stats from other classes (but not the ability to keep using their weapons), right?

oh yeah, so apparently FE12 also has rankings like FE4-7, but nobody really knows how they work?

They're too easy to get the best rank in, unlike the earlier ones. I guess it's nice that they exist...

For reference, "Tactics" (the only rank that isn't self-explanatory) rates how many characters you've recruited.

Chrom

FE12 having rankings is actually news to me. I don't recall coming across any resource acknowledging their existence. I wouldn't have known unless I got around to playing it myself.

Top Bottom