• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Chrom

Hmm, so realistically, I will spend a lot of time grinding in normal mode, so that it is better to restart, or doesn't that make a huge difference? I have completed the first six battles and did a bit of grinding for my flying unit and the mage (which both were basically useless otherwise).

Personally, I think you should tough it out and finish it as it is for bragging rights. If you really want to finish the game more quickly though, I'd say you should consider restarting.

Chrom

You can't reclass indefinitely in FE2 outside of one special case. Dread Fighter can 'promote' to Villager to loop around forever, or take another class path. This lets someone like Deen become a mage lol.

Really, that's how I always thought it worked. I guess that says something about how I played the game since I really liked Dread Fighter, haha.

L95

One of the first things you should do when playing FE2 is set the text speed to maximum speed.

Completely random, but I happened to remember it. Because the default speed is so slow XD

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Personally, I think you should tough it out and finish it as it is for bragging rights. If you really want to finish the game more quickly though, I'd say you should consider restarting.
No, I don't want to finish it as quickly as possible, it would just be annoying if at some point I couldn't progress without hours of mindless grinding. I want to play a strategy rpg and think about battle tactics, not press buttons without any thought put into it.

One of the first things you should do when playing FE2 is set the text speed to maximum speed.

Completely random, but I happened to remember it. Because the default speed is so slow XD
The first thing I do in all games is turn off animations (where possible) and up the text speed :).

Yoshi

Then I'll try playing through Gaiden as it is. By the way, since there are probably many experienced Fire Emblem fans here, I have three more questions for my further acquisitions:
(1) Is the English translation for Fire Emblem 3 completely functional? As in, can in complete the game, understanding everything? I'm asking this, because I'm still waiting on buying repros for Fire Emblem 3-5 in English, but it would be annoying to buy a repro that's not really playable or crashes.
(2) Is Tear Ring Saga worth it for someone who likes Fire Emblem?
(3) While I do have a modded PS1 where I could use both, the original disc and a fan translation copy (of course, I'll buy the original disc if I play the game - it isn't too expensive anyway and I'm a collector of games I like), I thought about putting the game on PSP and playing it there, because I actually love being able to play on a train or while travelling, but does the game run well with the PSP emulator?

Chrom

Then I'll try playing through Gaiden as it is. By the way, since there are probably many experienced Fire Emblem fans here, I have three more questions for my further acquisitions:
(1) Is the English translation for Fire Emblem 3 completely functional? As in, can in complete the game, understanding everything? I'm asking this, because I'm still waiting on buying repros for Fire Emblem 3-5 in English, but it would be annoying to buy a repro that's not really playable or crashes.
(2) Is Tear Ring Saga worth it for someone who likes Fire Emblem?
(3) While I do have a modded PS1 where I could use both, the original disc and a fan translation copy (of course, I'll buy the original disc if I play the game - it isn't too expensive anyway and I'm a collector of games I like), I thought about putting the game on PSP and playing it there, because I actually love being able to play on a train or while travelling, but does the game run well with the PSP emulator?

Yes, FE3 is perfectly playable with its English patch.

I haven't played TRS but I imagine it is worthwhile. No idea about emulating it though.

L95

I've played TRS, its an alright game, but honestly, current translation is atrocious. It's playable outside of one boss fight that freezes the game(get around this by removing the patch for a bit). Glitches aren't the only issue, the translation is great for the first ten chapters, but it went to hell after that when it became an open source translation. It's a mess, and the skill/item/character names are all over the place. It's good enough to understand the story, barely.

Yoshi

Is there maybe an older version of the patch that only translates the menus so that it is completely playable, but without knowing the story? I think I don't necessarily need the story of that one.

L95

The thing is, that was the second patch they released, the first patch was a 'full' translation, but even more buggy/engrishy. If there's a menu only patch, I haven't seen it. (I wouldn't be surprised if there is one, but I haven't seen or heard of one)

Yoshi

The first one cannot be completed either? Engrish is fine by me for TRS (not for Fire Emblem).

L95

Both of them have the boss freezing glitch.

...But on some personal research, it looks like attacking him with some characters(different weapons? something lol it's kinda random) prevents the freeze. (I assume different boss quotes or something.)

I actually wasn't aware of this.

kaitain19

Confession time: up until a few days ago I've never played any Fire Emblem games.

My experiences with strategy RPGs are sparse. In fact, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was the last one I've really got into. Fire Emblem has never fallen under my radar, until Super Smash Brothers made me aware of its existence. But even then, I've never considered it but a side note in Nintendo's history.

But then SSB4 came along, and with it the Fire emblem series was brought to spotlight with the addition of two newcomers. Another breakthrough came on the January 2015's Nintendo Direct, with the announcement of a new Fire Emblem game, as the opener no less.

That moment made me realize that Fire Emblem is no longer a minor entity within Nintendo's roster.

Thus, I've decided to purchase Awakening, after careful consideration regarding my expenses. Even though I've only played for only a few days, let me tell you this:

I'm really loving it.

Yoshi

Thus, I've decided to purchase Awakening, after careful consideration regarding my expenses. Even though I've only played for only a few days, let me tell you this:

I'm really loving it.

Welcome. Prepare for not being able to consider your expenses anymore :D.

you know, everyone says to play Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn

I disagree, I think it's better if you go into Radiant Dawn first, without any pre-established expectations of characters

(don't do this for your very first Fire Emblem though, only if you've already played one)

L95

I actually played Radiant Dawn first and it was basically a long line of "who the hell is this" It felt a lot less weird when PoR gave me context.
(I didn't play RD as my first FE)

You could maybe get away with playing Thracia before Geneology of the Holy War (besides it spoiling much of Geneology of course). I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it would kill too much of the Thracia experience.

You could maybe get away with playing Thracia before Geneology of the Holy War (besides it spoiling much of Geneology of course). I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it would kill too much of the Thracia experience.

well yeah, you could do that too, Thracia is largely even more disconnected from Genealogy than Radiant Dawn to Path of Radiance gameplay-wise, as most characters don't overlap

it's also even worse for someone's first Fire Emblem

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RD is a direct sequel to PoR though, and builds on it mechanically.

In fact sometimes I get tripped up playing PoR because I expect certain RD mechanics to be there when they are not.

kaitain19

So I have a couple of questiions regarding Awakening here, I hope this is the right place to ask:
  1. How important is it to level up all the characters? So far I haven't used Donnel much, and judging by his skill am I correct to assume that he'll get better in the long run?
  2. I currently have 1 Master Seal and 2 Second Seals. Since my Chrom is level 10 now, what should I do?
  3. I'm in chapter 10 now and I have a Reeking Box. Where should I use this if I want to get some Bullions?
  4. Also, is the Avatar supposed to be overpowered? Mine has single-handedly defeated four enemies in a row with less than half of his HP (He dodged every single attack). I'm not saying that this is a huge problem, it's just that I'm afraid that he's hogging all the EXP.

Sölf

So I have a couple of questiions regarding Awakening here, I hope this is the right place to ask:
  1. How important is it to level up all the characters? So far I haven't used Donnel much, and judging by his skill am I correct to assume that he'll get better in the long run?
  2. I currently have 1 Master Seal and 2 Second Seals. Since my Chrom is level 10 now, what should I do?
  3. I'm in chapter 10 now and I have a Reeking Box. Where should I use this if I want to get some Bullions?
  4. Also, is the Avatar supposed to be overpowered? Mine has single-handedly defeated four enemies in a row with less than half of his HP (He dodged every single attack). I'm not saying that this is a huge problem, it's just that I'm afraid that he's hogging all the EXP.

1.) You get so many characters you can't level all of them up. Decide on a small team, maybe a few backup members, and that will be enough for a normal playthrough.

2.) Depends on the difficulty. I am one who prefers to level characters to level 20 before promoting. Second seals are not that important so early in the game.

3.) Depending on how many enemies are there, you will get 1 or 2 small bullions everytime (the earlier missions only give 1 small bullion, the later ones with more enemies give you 2). Also, the boss will drop an item each time. The difficulty of the enemies depends on where you use it.

4.) The Avatar is pretty strong, but every character can turn out like this. If you fear he will take away too much exp just let other character get the kills or use him not so aggressively.

Chrom

It seems like no one has claimed it, but I'm planning to volunteering for Fire Emblem: If

Is that alright?

I personally have no objections and appreciate your interest. However...

Is there a release date for that already?

I don't believe so, just a summer release window is known for the Japanese version right now. Please enlighten me if I'm mistaken, but this is a bit of an issue, yeah? If memory serves, actual release dates are required for one to officially claim an OT of a game, otherwise it's considered to be too early.

Shun

Do you need help with banners and graphics?

That would be most appreciated.

I thought it would be fine since people have volunteered things from Kingdom Hearts 3 to Xenoblade X.

In the mean time, I'll gather as much information and chara portraits as possible until release. Since I plan on doing both JP and INT release, I guess there is no problem delaying the JP OT a bit if I need more portraits and then having everything set for the INT release.

I hope second time's the charm and this game is vastly superior to Awakening. Please meet my Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776 biases. Even if it ends up being as meh as Awakening, I'm probably gonna spend over 70 bucks on DLC again.

Chrom

There should be some FE stuff in the latest Nintendo Dream, but I'm not sure what it is about. Won't get my copy until mid March.

I think it's just about the 25th anniversary. I saw images of it yesterday and I didn't notice anything interesting pertaining to the new game.

Chrom

I decided to take up that idea of replaying FE1, and I've been enjoying it again. It's a run where my friends pick my characters for me, so it's kind of like a draft. The roster for this run is currently:

Marth
Caeda
Cain
Abel
Wrys
Ogma
Castor
Darros
Merric
Maria
Minerva
Palla
Tiki

I think I'm set!

Yoshi

I've continued playing Fire Emblem Gaiden and I must say, while I really love the two team concept, forcing you to change your overall strategy every once in a while, I'm supremely annoyed by the grinding without any clue where to grind to in order to get to the level the game is balanced against. I'm now close to wrapping up chapter 3 and one moment I was not even able to advance to the next level, because two Paladin-extra-enemies which were basically unbeatable for me (doing only 1-2 damage per hit and getting major damage by them) were blocking my way, after leveling far enough that those two annoying enemies were no big problem anymore the remaining normal levels in the chapter became a piece of cake. Angel's ring, when used extensively (as in for every level up), seems to be too "strong". I hate this grinding bs so much, I really don't know what Intelligent Systems was thinking there, in particular considering the game is nice otherwise.

At least there are no levels like that horribly boring "50 rounds of reinforcments" and that equally boring "35 rounds of reinforcements" level from the first game. Will I have to endure additional grinding in FE3-5 or did they come to their senses there already? Also: Will the 50 / 35 rounds of reinforcements levels still have so many rounds of reinforcements in FE3?

L95

Gaiden is literally the only game in the series where you need to grind.
I guess the you could count Awakening Lunatic +

Yoshi

Gaiden is literally the only game in the series where you need to grind.
I guess the you could count Awakening Lunatic +

Happy to hear that, I really wonder what they were thinking, wasn't it obvious to them that grinding is (a) boring as fuck (b) destroying the core gameplay of their game?

L95

You don't need to grind in Lunatic+ lol

You don't need to grind in any FE with enough restarting. Though IIRC Lunatic + can literally put you in unwindable situations early on due to random skill assignment to enemies....

Happy to hear that, I really wonder what they were thinking, wasn't it obvious to them that grinding is (a) boring as fuck (b) destroying the core gameplay of their game?

The series generally makes grinding a bit more out of the way to do. Usually you just get the risky arena, though there are ways to grind that weren't entirely intended I imagine. (In FE4, for example you can abuse some types of bosses to spawn reinforcements infinitely) FE2 was where they tried a bunch of new stuff then abandoned it. (Interestingly, a lot of FE2 stuff ended up being slowly re-introduced since... lol)

Draxal

Different era when Nintendo was more experimental but those experiments backfired more of than they didn't.

Top Bottom