• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

RiggyRob

That was something I did like about PoR and RD: The final bosses weren't dragons.

'Goldoa will not move'
The entire Goldoan army proceeds to fight you to prevent you from battling Ashera.

I did like the final boss fight in Radiant Dawn, but it is kind of Gary Stu-ish that
Ike has to deliver the final blow instead of Micaiah, even though it does make sense in the wider context.

Lunar15

'Goldoa will not move'
The entire Goldoan army proceeds to fight you to prevent you from battling Ashera.

I did like the final boss fight in Radiant Dawn, but it is kind of Gary Stu-ish that
Ike has to deliver the final blow instead of Micaiah, even though it does make sense in the wider context.

They ain't the final boss though!

Also, yeah, it was Gary Stu-ish. I guess you could look at it like them combining their talents.
Sure, Ike lands the blow, but it's nothing without Micaiah's ability to channel Yune's power into his sword.

Golnei

They ain't the final boss though!

Well, Rajaion was technically part of FE9's final boss...

But I do agree that it'd be nice for them to move away from that mould for the games' major antagonists - I'd love it if 'if' wasn't going to drop its plot in the final act to focus on the inevitable supernatural threat, but there's no way that will happen. Having the avatar (and possibly that dancer) be the only living manaketes in the game would make the cries of the self-insert ruining the plot louder than ever, but I'd prefer it if it meant keeping the climax on a more human scale.

Sölf

I've played through Awakening. First FE game but apparently it has very little to nadda to do with anything ever.

Well, most "universes" only have 1-2 games in it. FE 1+3, 4+5, 6+7, 9+10. "Basically", 2, 8 and 13 (Awakening) are stand alones, even though some play in the same world as others, but they don't really have a connection.

So yeah, play Radiance first, just for the story, as Radiant Dawn plays a few years after Path of Radiance.

But I do agree that it'd be nice for them to move away from that mould for the games' major antagonists - I'd love it if 'if' wasn't going to drop its plot in the final act to focus on the inevitable supernatural threat, but there's no way that will happen. Having the avatar (and possibly that dancer) be the only living manaketes in the game would make the cries of the self-insert ruining the plot louder than ever, but I'd prefer it if it meant keeping the climax on a more human scale.

you know they're gonna pull some lame "but here's the REAL enemy this whole time, guys!" twist towards the end lol

RiggyRob

A Manakete Dancer would be very interesting - I wonder if the song she sings in the trailer to calm the lake surface is some kind of galdr?

NeonZ

you know they're gonna pull some lame "but here's the REAL enemy this whole time, guys!" twist towards the end lol

I think there's a chance they won't do that since then it gives more identity to the DLC path. It's very likely going to be the two armies united, so unifying them in the other paths too would make it kind of pointless.

jnWake

I recently started playing FE7... My first FE game! I'm loving it so far. A shame I only own a Wii U so I can't try any other FE games for now...

I'm on the final chapter, had to restart since Lyn died haha (I somehow didn't notice she was in the range of
Lloyd's morph
). My team is (all promoted):
Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Athos, Nils, Oswin, Canas, Pent, Rath, Serra, Priscilla, Fiora. Hector, Oswin, Pent and Canas are beasts

I plan on doing Hector mode then to try some of the characters I didn't use much like Raven, Florina, Lucius, Dart and others.

Seda

Hector's Mode is the real FE7.

It's largely the same, but there are 2 more normal missions, 2 more secret missions, a couple story elements fleshed out, and Hector is the better lord anyway. Better music too!

FE7 spoiler
I'm going to assume that we aren't counting Ninian and Nils for this? I suppose they were only half dragons, and it was only plot relevant unless their ring abilities were supposed to be due to their bloodline.

Poor Eliwood is the definitive main character of FE7, but everyone whose played more than once prefers Hector Mode.

FE7 spoiler
I'm going to assume that we aren't counting Ninian and Nils for this? I suppose they were only half dragons, and it was only plot relevant unless their ring abilities were supposed to be due to their bloodline.

Poor Eliwood is the definitive main character of FE7, but everyone whose played more than once prefers Hector Mode.

manakete dancer as in someone that can actually fight as a manakete lol

jnWake

It's largely the same, but there are 2 more normal missions, 2 more secret missions, a couple story elements fleshed out, and Hector is the better lord anyway. Better music too!

Better music? Interesting.

It's a shame that getting one of the secret missions is a pain (Nils to level 7? That's crazy).

Junahu

That was something I did like about PoR and RD: The final bosses weren't dragons.

I quite enjoyed FE7's
Generic-Dragon. It's literally just an ordinary dragon that wandered through an open door. It's not trying to start any crap or end the world, it just saw a door and walked in with a couple of its mates, and now it's the final boss because why not?

Thud

Sacred Stones is also for Wii U (EU).

Hector Hard Mode is the way to go. Eliwood is a great character, but a terrible unit in general. Roy is more or less the reverse of Eliwood.

Kishuna chapters are pretty hard. I still haven't done them all. Getting Nils to lvl 7 is the least of your problems.

Sacred Stones is also for Wii U (EU).

Hector Hard Mode is the way to go. Eliwood is a great character, but a terrible unit in general. Roy is more or less the reverse of Eliwood.

Kishuna chapters are pretty hard. I still haven't done them all. Getting Nils to lvl 7 is the least of your problems.

???

Roy is terrible character, terrible unit, how is that the reverse

and Eliwood's "terribleness" is overexaggerated

Indeed, the fanbase has more or less agreed that Roy is the worst lord in terms of usability. Eliwood just seems terrible in comparison to his more specialized peers Hector and Lyn.

Seda

So everybody gives their constitution rings to Lyn right?

Last year I purchased a used Fire Emblem GBA cart (I loaned my original to my brother, who is now hooked on the series and wouldn't give it back :( ) . The cart I got had the additional bonus items unlocked, which was pretty cool. A couple high use iron weapons and stat items.

Eliwood>Lyn

Lyn is so overrated

noope

Draxal

Last year I purchased a used Fire Emblem GBA cart (I loaned my original to my brother, who is now hooked on the series and wouldn't give it back :( ) . The cart I got had the additional bonus items unlocked, which was pretty cool. A couple high use iron weapons and stat items.

Last time I played was such a long time ago, but I gave them to Eliwood since Durandal weighs so much. Big thing about Roy is that he's Fire Emblem's original "waifu" magnet.

TCG is listed on amazon jp for those who are interested. Might want to wait for amiami or other sites since amazon don't ship it outside japan. There's 2 starter decks btw
51HdkZTu3WL.jpg
51-MTq-yB5L.jpg

I always felt like Lyn did very well with her role as a Myrmidon Lord. Her biggest flaw was how terrible she was with her Sol Katti in the endgame.

Then again, I still have yet to play either of the Hard Modes, and I only did Hector Mode with the Draft Run where Lyn was not one of my party members, so I don't exactly have the best judgement points.

I always felt like Lyn did very well with her role as a Myrmidon Lord. Her biggest flaw was how terrible she was with her Sol Katti in the endgame.

Then again, I still have yet to play either of the Hard Modes, and I only did Hector Mode with the Draft Run where Lyn was not one of my party members, so I don't exactly have the best judgement points.

no, her biggest flaw is that she's about as durable as wet tissue paper, and WTD against a majority of enemies doesn't help

and unlike Eliwood, there's no payoff to actually training her

Seda

speak for yourself, I played through the game many times last year (it's my goto travel game) and she was a basically total baller each time. In fact I kinda had to force myself to stop abusing her amazingness

;p

mdubs

Banned

Plus
Farina
, the best pegasus knight. The only thing I wish I could change about Hector mode is having to wait to for
his late story promotion

jnWake

So I just finished my first playthrough. Rank A in Lyn's Mode and Rank B in Eliwood Mode. Funds was my worst rank haha, the hell.

I found Eliwood quite useful and actually had him kill
Nergal (after Canas left him with like 2 HP haha)

I'll do Lyn Hard Mode and Hector Mode now. Not sure if I'll try Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard. My backlog is too big for that! But, then again, they'd let me try many different characters. It's painful to have so many options sometimes...

Thud

Indeed, the fanbase has more or less agreed that Roy is the worst lord in terms of usability. Eliwood just seems terrible in comparison to his more specialized peers Hector and Lyn.

He's quite useable in the beginning as opposed to Eliwood. Don't know how it plans out later. I know he promotes pretty late in the game, which will probably make him useless. But now he's kicking butt left and right, so I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm just lucky. I definitely don't dislike him as much as in SSBM.

Well I was playing some FE7 next to FE6 as well. Raced through Lyn's Normal Mode and I'm gonna start Eliwood soon. Played this game quite some times, but I'm always up for suggestions on units. It feels like I always leave some characters out of the loop.

RiggyRob

And the Angelic Robe that Matthew finds, it's always a worthy investment - it's surprising how much durability you give her just by her HP jumping from 19 to 26.

I always find that there's more emotion to Lyn and her story rather than Eliwood's, especially since you actually play as her when regaining her kingdom.

And the Angelic Robe that Matthew finds, it's always a worthy investment - it's surprising how much durability you give her just by her HP jumping from 19 to 26.

I always find that there's more emotion to Lyn and her story rather than Eliwood's, especially since you actually play as her when regaining her kingdom.

Mind elaborating? Are you referring to playing as Mark the Tactician in the main modes? Because you do so in Lyn mode as well.

what, this is absurd

if Angelic Robe+Energy Drop are going anywhere, it's to Florina

RiggyRob

Mind elaborating? Are you referring to playing as Mark the Tactician in the main modes? Because you do so in Lyn mode as well.

I mean that you have to spend 10 chapters in Lyn's story where she meets and recruits all of the Caelin army, and since she's a Sacaen nomad she deals with the elitist attitude of Marquess Araphen and her struggle against Lundgren too - it feels more down to Earth, like using Ike in PoR/RD, so Lyn's more likeable than Eliwood.

what, this is absurd

if Angelic Robe+Energy Drop are going anywhere, it's to Florina

Lyn's required, Florina isn't, plus I always seem to get Strength-screwed with Florina.

Hikami

Just got through Lyn's story in FE7, thought it was pretty easy though..

Is there some kind of difficulty spike later?

Thud

I mean that you have to spend 10 chapters in Lyn's story where she meets and recruits all of the Caelin army, and since she's a Sacaen nomad she deals with the elitist attitude of Marquess Araphen and her struggle against Lundgren too - it feels more down to Earth, like using Ike in PoR/RD, so Lyn's more likeable than Eliwood.

I can get into this. However Ike is more of a badass like Hector. Simple and rough but a good heart. Lyn's more the kind of character you can't seem to dislike, much like Elincia.

This game will get much harder, but it's really doable. The main difference is you're playing for keeps (permadeath on) and intensity of battles is higher (more units).

Lyn's required, Florina isn't, plus I always seem to get Strength-screwed with Florina.

who cares? every map she's required she can safely hide in a corner

Seda

The game isn't difficult in general on the normal modes. But Lyn's mode is nothing compared to the later parts even then. It's basically like the opening credits.

I wonder if how much preference people often have with the "Lyndis's Legion" members in the maim game is because because of the boost they gain from her campaign. In my draft run (I reference it so often because it was the last time I played through FE7), I chose Fiora and realized that it was the first time I really used her instead of Florina. I think I prefer her when they start near each other with levels (which in a run without Lyn mode, they do). She's more balanced while still having Peggy Knight stats.

Rutger

Banned
I use Lyn because she's a Swordmaster, I don't remember her ever being outstanding in any of my playthroughs though.

A shame she just barely missed out on that lovely +30 crit. :/

Edit: or any crit bonus it seems, it's been a while since I last played FE7, haha.

mdubs

Banned

Nope, as long as you level your characters well you won't have any problems later on.

Also, I suppose now is as good a time as any to bring up my major quibble with (PoR Spoilers) Ike's fight with
The Black Knight near the end of PoR. This seems to be a fight determined purely by luck of activating Aether within the turn limit even if Ike is maxed out in Str, Skl, Spd and Def. Especially since the designers placed it at the end of a long chapter, it would have been more fair considering the player can do pretty much everything right and still lose the fight and Nasir in the process. Thankfully I still won the first time, but I wouldn't have liked to have had to replay the entire chapter for another chance at winning the fight

Reset

Well Roy with his final weapon is a lot better than Eliwood with the Durandal....

Well Roy with his final weapon is a lot better than Eliwood with the Durandal....

Yes, but the final weapon represents one portion of the game, the endgame. When a person considers whose a better character from a stat perspective, you can't just look at the endgame, you have to look at the entire game. I do understand that Roy's Sword of Seals is supposed to be one of the best Lord Ultimate weapons in the game, while the Durandal is definitely one of the worst.

and nobody cares, because Roy gets it for all of 4 chapters, the first and most difficult of which he just promoted and can't hit much for effective damage

and even then FE7 Durandal is better than Lol Katti

and nobody cares, because Roy gets it for all of 4 chapters, the first and most difficult of which he just promoted and can't hit much for effective damage

and even then FE7 Durandal is better than Lol Katti

Now now theprodigy. I know you don't care for Lyn's skills, but just remember, it's not 2005 anymore. Lyn isn't everyone's waifu like she used to be. It's OK.
:p

Top Bottom