• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Shun

I find it hilarious that people are shitting on the art style but are ignoring the GOOD changes they made from ugh Awakening.

Enemies get pair up too. My main gripe with Awakening's balance was fixed (hopefully) with this.

Bigger and dynamic maps.

Bring back buffs and debuffs.

I know I was down earlier but looking back at the direct, I'm more optimistic.

Hopefully they do shit right so it's AT LEAST FE 9/10 and if it's FE4/5/12 god tier good, dayummmmmm

I find it hilarious that people are shitting on the art style but are ignoring the GOOD changes they made from ugh Awakening.

Enemies get pair up too. My main gripe with Awakening's balance was fixed (hopefully) with this.

Bigger and dynamic maps.

Hopefully they do shit right so it's AT LEAST FE 9/10 and if it's FE4/5/12 god tier good, dayummmmmm

this isn't nearly as good as you think it is, it's probably going to either be totally pointless on the enemy or turn every single battle into an RNG clusterfuck

"ok I'm going to nuke you right now-*dual guard x2*"

Shun

this isn't nearly as good as you think it is, it's probably going to either be totally pointless on the enemy or turn every single battle into an RNG clusterfuck

It's a step above the fucking Musou one man army game that was FE:A.

At least it gives them a stats buff to make up for your broken stats.

We won't deal with Brave Sword/Lance 4x hit bullshit again if the AI isn't a total idiot.

Draxal

Dual Guard and Strike are probably getting nerfed pretty hard core. I just think ... people are being way too premature on judging this game before it even comes out.

Golnei

FEif also disappointed me. TeamBlack is better if only because fuck Japan's westerners are warmongers bullshit.

EDIT: Also, unfortunately this confirms avatars again. Ugh jesus wish they'd stop with this.

I'm kind of afraid the Hoshido side will lean too heavily on a white-washed fantasy of Japanese imperialism; but they'll probably be justified as an enemy force on the Nohr campaign in some way.

Also, seeing as 'if' has two separate Lord characters in addition to the avatar, I don't find it that offensive - if they insist on a bland viewpoint character, they might as well give us the option of altering their appearance and sex to make things a little more interesting. Not having skintone options for this avatar would be inexcusable, though.

Shun

I just want Sakebi/Rally back.

Buff/Debuff system was the best and only good thing to come out of Awakening's battle system.

Bigger and dynamic maps.

I'm happy for this. One thing I didn't like about Awakening was how boring some of the maps were and the enemies felt like they were just placed around the map evenly.

4c2af23182.png
RIP wallet
will probably cancel Amazon JP bonus order for single cart version

Ezalc

I fully blame Awakening's bullshit for this art shitshow we have to put up with. The worst part of it is they took both the worst art of FE and anything related to SMT, so Devil Survivor, and put it into one game with the crossover. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm kind of afraid the Hoshido side will lean too heavily on a white-washed fantasy of Japanese imperialism; but they'll probably be justified as an enemy force on the Nohr campaign in some way.

Also, seeing as 'if' has two separate Lord characters in addition to the avatar, I don't find it that offensive - if they insist on a bland viewpoint character, they might as well give us the option of altering their appearance and sex to make things a little more interesting. Not having skintone options for this avatar would be inexcusable, though.

I'm just pissed since it's always this way. I mean, Japan suffered some shit during war times but let's not pretend that they didn't commit some fucking atrocities too. Always making the westerners the aggressors is irritating. Ironically enough the westerners in awakening were eastern themed which was weird, probably only time I can remember something like that.

The problem is having an avatar be such a crucial role at all. Robin was boring as hell, the one in FE7 was barely there which made it easy to just ignore his existence, we can't do that here. We need to have this generic catch all protag because of this avatar crap which almost certainly guarantees the story will be crap again. He'll end up some broken ass unit again too.

Shun

MyUnit Chris in FE12 was decent.

Katarina got wrecked by FE12 MyUnit. I felt so bad when that happened though.

Bigger and dynamic maps.

The enemy may have pair-up but their stat gains or dual strike/guard % will not be impressive until the very end of the game, and those bonuses will pale in comparison to your army's pair up bonuses. Personally, i'd rather have rescue and shove back.

Shun

The enemy may have pair-up but their stat gains or dual strike/guard % will not be impressive until the very end of the game, and those bonuses will pale in comparison to your army's pair up bonuses. Personally, i'd rather have rescue and shove back.

We can make that conclusion once the direct or screens show us the bottom screen and stats so we can calculate how good or bad of a thing it is.

It may also scale according to difficulty, though it depends on how they balance the difficulties.

Personally I wish they would have removed pair up entirely, but this is the next best thing. Assuming that dual strike/guard has been nerfed, it fixes the speed imbalance and it prevents most characters from One shot Gale Force the entire map with a Celica's Gale or Brave Sword.

Also Chris was pretty decent, that was his whole gimmick. He was the equivalent of Ramza in Final Fantasy Tactics but with a little less development and wasn't branded a heretic. His supports weren't terrible.

You can only do so much in regards to a silent protagonist and Chris is definitely not a mediocre silent protagonist imo.

Bigger and dynamic maps.

Where is the bigger maps, buff and the debuff part ? Can't find it, I'm not really great at spotting details

I don't think there will be any dual guard / attacks for the enemy. Just think about lunatic mode where everyone could die in one hit and every blow you deal to the enemy is important. It would be frustating as hell !

Shun

Where is the bigger maps, buff and the debuff part ? Can't find it, I'm not really great at spotting details

I don't think there will be any dual guard / attacks for the enemy. Just think about lunatic mode where everyone could die in one hit and every blow you deal to the enemy is important. It would be frustating as hell !

I meant I want Buff/Debuff back.

Bigger Dynamic maps can be seen in the trailer.

You can interact and change the terrain to create or block a path which creates another dynamic in the game. The maps also seem to be bigger and more varied than the ones in Awakening from what we see in Fire Emblem if Trailer.

Considering how most FE sequels are usually MUCH better or as good as the previous game, FE12>>>Shadow Dragon, FE4=FE5, FE7>>>>FE6, etc. We can assume Fire Emblem if, will be a better game compared to Awakening.

If isn't a direct sequel to Awakening, but it heavily borrows elements and so that's why we can make that comparison between the two.

Considering how most FE sequels are usually MUCH better or as good as the previous game, FE12>>>Shadow Dragon, FE4=FE5, FE7>>>>FE6, etc. We can assume Fire Emblem if, will be a better game compared to Awakening.
It's funny that you say when FE14 resembles some of the weakest sequels and entries in the series (FE8 and FE2). :D Though I kind of like Ephraim's Hard Mode.

http://serenesforest.net/2015/04/01/fire-emblem-official-site-snippets/#more-25442

Fire Emblem if Hoshido

A story focusing on protecting your Hoshidan birthplace and royal relatives from the Nohrian invasion. Outside the main story, you can earn experience and funds and freely develop your characters; perfect for those who enjoy freedom.

Fire Emblem if Nohr

In this story, you work with the Nohrian royal family to battle the internal conflicts within Nohr itself. Compared to Hoshido, the difficulty is higher, with limited opportunities to earn experience and funds.

looks like Hoshido confirmed casual mode

What I really want is there to be a lot of characters you recruit by talking to them mid-battle. Awakening had almost none of that (Tharja was the only hostile you had to recruit, I think. Gaius was neutral) and if this is going to be a Pokemon-like split thing I'd prefer it was like Ephraim and Eirika route where you have a small, exclusive posse and then the majority of characters are obtainable both ways, much like Pokemon.

Really the notion of "Awakening 2" is fine if they just fix Awakening's problems.

Rutger

Banned
Possibly no world map is is cool, but will hardly make a difference. I can ignore the world map like I ignore arenas.

Hopefully there's more to Nohr path's difficulty.

What I really want is there to be a lot of characters you recruit by talking to them mid-battle. Awakening had almost none of that (Tharja was the only hostile you had to recruit, I think. Gaius was neutral) and if this is going to be a Pokemon-like split thing I'd prefer it was like Ephraim and Eirika route where you have a small, exclusive posse and then the majority of characters are obtainable both ways, much like Pokemon.

neutrals recruited by talking: Kellam, Libra, Anna, Say'ri, most of the kids, Yen'fay
enemies recruited by talking: Gaius, Tharja, Cynthia, Gangrel, Yarne (on 2/3 paths)

meh, that was the least of Awakening's problems

neutrals recruited by talking: Kellam, Libra, Anna, Say'ri, most of the kids, Yen'fay
enemies recruited by talking: Gaius, Tharja, Cynthia, Gangrel, Yarne (on 2/3 paths)

Didn't think of the kids. And I agree, I think the worst problem was the mission variety all being "Rout the enemy, defeat the leader"

Lunar15

If Nhor version really does have a no-world map mode with more traditional FE gameplay, that makes this whole concept infinitely more appealing.

That said, the whole two version/DLC concept is gross. Really bums me out.

Reset

Nah the problem was that you could have recruited all the characters with Chrom only. In the older FE games you needed to have different members in your party to recruit someone.

Busaiku

The worst thing about a 2016 release is that once again, we'll have no say on DLC.
Referring to the popularity poll DLC that Japan got for Awakening.

I mean at least they got it right with Owain and Lucina, but everyone else was suspect.

Ezalc

The worst thing about a 2016 release is that once again, we'll have no say on DLC.
Referring to the popularity poll DLC that Japan got for Awakening.

I mean at least they got it right with Owain and Lucina, but everyone else was suspect.

They chose lucina, of course the rest is horrid. Out of curiosity though what were the others. Nephenee and Lewyn might save it though, but I doubt it being Japan and all.

Busaiku

They chose lucina, of course the rest is horrid. Out of curiosity though what were the others. Nephenee and Lewyn might save it though, but I doubt it being Japan and all.
Chrom and Gaius for adult males.
Tharja nad Cordelia for adult females.

Owain and Inigo for child males.
Lucina and Severa for child females.

Chrom

Friends... Today has been a good day. I'm really happy with all of the news we got and am very excited for the future of Fire Emblem.

flohen95

Friends... Today has been a good day. I'm really happy with all of the news we got and am very excited for the future of Fire Emblem.

Amen.

I mean, there are so many thoughts in my head right now.

I still have no fucking clue what to make of the crossover. The trailer left me pretty much feeling like the early 2013 teaser: Clueless, but excited. I'm inclined to not think about it too much, too. I'm easily pleased when it comes to Japanese games and I pretty much know that I'll like it anyway. But man have I no idea what's going on.

And as for if - the two version thing is a bit pointless, but from everything said in both western directs, including very clear stuff like "The new Fire Emblem game for Nintendo 3DS is planned for a 2016 release in Europe" from Shibata, I'm inclined to believe that the west will be getting a combined version (or only one, who knows). But 2016 is still far away, so anything could happen.
I still don't like the artstyle. It's not bad, but I'm still not used to Fire Emblem looking like this. Maybe I never will be. But that won't stop me from enjoying the game. Awakening became one of my favourite games when it came out (and I'm not even really sure why), so I have no doubt that I will very much enjoy the new one. Heck, so far there isn't a Fire Emblem game that I didn't like, and pretty much all of them I'd consider to be part of my "All time greats" list. Fire Emblem (as a series) is what really sparked my passion in JRPGs, in retro gaming and in Japanese games in general, and I'm excited to see what to future holds.

But still I'm left confused and happy at the same time. It's weird, and I think the best thing for me to do is not to think too hard about stuff or read up on the games and suck up all the information I get, but just wait until we're close to release, when the information we'll have is cohesive, precise and easy to understand. I just don't like speculating, I guess.

well if there's anything positive to potentially come out of the multiple versions, it's that we might actually find out what caused Awakening to sell

one way or another, some talking point is getting killed off

Top Bottom