• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Lunar15

I think Roy is creating enough salt for the FE/Smash community as it is.

I'm fine with Roy, but it's kind of boring. Ike's in though, so I'm thoroughly satisfied when it comes to FE characters. Everything else is just a bonus. I never thought I'd say it, but I think FE is a little overrepresented in smash right now. Sakurai's such a fanboy.

I think Ryu is way more boring, though.

Ezalc

To be fair, neither of those three would be any different than your normal Fire Emblem swordsmen/Marth clone.

Leaf might be different if they give him the Light Brand so he'll have some range/won't be another Marth clone.

We'll probably never see Sigurd since they aren't going to bring his horse in.

They should introduce Micaiah
for something new.

You complain about Roy and then offer up an even worse character? What.

Anyway, the dumb thing about Sakurai is him just completely ignoring the fact that basically all promoted lords can use more than one weapon. Look most of them got their iconic swords, yeah alright, but a lot of them can use lances. We still don't have any real character that uses a weapon like that in smash for some reason so why not give it to a character that can use it or something like an axe with Ike to give them a bit of a differential? Also, make the weapons that have ranged attacks in their own games be able to do it in smash too. Shit ain't hard man.

Golnei

Imagine if they use the dlc art omg.

Maybe that's why Tharja's trophy was removed...

I think Ryu is way more boring, though.

Ryu doesn't seem that interesting in a SSB context, I agree - he's definitely an iconic character, but other characters already overlap significantly with him in both aesthetics and moveset. Street Fighter
and Phoenix Wright
music on Megaman's stage would be welcome additions, though - if so much miscellaneous Namco errata (excluding Xenosaga for some reason) can make it into the game, other Sega and Capcom franchises definitely have a pretext for representation.

Despite that, I'd still rather have him than a third version of Marth.

We'll probably never see Sigurd since they aren't going to bring his horse in.

Alternatively:
tumblr_nma4mfsgcu1rc3rdjo2_1280.png

Anyway, the dumb thing about Sakurai is him just completely ignoring the fact that basically all promoted lords can use more than one weapon. Look most of them got their iconic swords, yeah alright, but a lot of them can use lances. We still don't have any real character that uses a weapon like that in smash for some reason so why not give it to a character that can use it or something like an axe with Ike to give them a bit of a differential? Also, make the weapons that have ranged attacks in their own games be able to do it in smash too. Shit ain't hard man.

Lucina can get a pass on being unable to use lances and bows due to the circumstances of her inclusion; but Ike really should have gotten a few axe moves. Especially with the focus on customs in the current games, having some of them use the ranged projectile version of Aether or replace Ragnell with Urvan would have been viable ways to represent more of his abilities while not 'compromising Sakurai's vision', as with his deliberate exclusion of projectiles from Brawl Ike.

Ezalc

where on earth was I complaining about Roy, lol

My bad, guess I confused you for somebody else.

Micaiah still sucks though.

All this time I search for Sigurd fanart and then I have to see that picture. Jesus my eyes.

It sucks that it feels like Sakurai really halfasses some characters at times while gives others a lot of attention.

NeonZ

To be fair, neither of those three would be any different than your normal Fire Emblem swordsmen/Marth clone.

They could easily get a different moveset, even if limited to swords. If they had been added in Melee though, they'd be a Marth clone, since that was the only possibility to add another FE character at that point. And, without "fire", they'd stand out visually much less than Roy.

Golnei

They could easily get a different moveset, even if limited to swords. If they had been added in Melee though, they'd be a Marth clone, since that was the only possibility to add another FE character at that point. And, without "fire", they'd stand out visually much less than Roy.

In hindsight, I wonder if it'd have been better to take the Ganondorf route for a clone FE character in Melee - the fire effect would be lost, but being considerably larger with a distinct silhouette could have made them a more distinguishable character purely from a visual perspective. If using a lance with Marth's animations and hitboxes could have been made to work, FE3 Hardin might have been an interesting choice if depicted in his Emperor class.

Sölf

I just want to be able to play as the Black Knight at some point in time. ;_;

But yeah, I would like to get other weapon types for FE chars. Eprhaim with a lance, Hector with an axe, maybe a bow user or even Micaiah because she is a mage (but now we got Robin for that). If there would be another sword user I would like it to be a Myrmidon which plays fater like Marth. But except for Lyn there is no lord that would fit this playstyle, unless I forgot someone.

Thud

Kinda depends on what they want to do with Roy. Never liked the way he played in melee, but the design was pretty cool.

Lunar15

The solution to all of our problems is Fighter Emblem. There would be a fighter for nearly every class, and then just model swaps so that a bunch of characters can be represented without having to make new movesets.

Do it, Nintendo.

Shun

Fire Emblem Musou solves all said problems

Fire Emblem Awakening is already your Musou game, just throw one of the Sorcerer child units on the map and watch them 1-Man army the rest of the game.

Arc System Works please do a Guilty Gear Xrd Engine type 2D fighting game for Fire Emblem.

You did good shit with Persona and we're getting #FE from Atlus.

Only Arc System Works can do the series aesthetic justice...

Ike air combos like Ragna and Sol. Hnggggg.

Rutger

Banned
Air dashes and double jumps in a FE fighting game would be odd.
Not that Arcsys couldn't make a game without those. I'd love to see a 2D FE fighting game, and wouldn't mind seeing them give it a shot since the odds of me enjoying it would be pretty high.

Shun

If not Arc System Works, it's French Bread. I don't think anyone else can make it play well while look like Fire Emblem.

I have a cart, that I later found out to be a pirated one :c, of FE8 but I have yet to play it. I thought Ephraim was a cavalier?
He starts as a Lord that plays like a Soldier (foot unit with a Lance). When he promotes he gets a Horse, but still only uses a Lance.

CorvoSol

Playing Fire Emblem 7 again.

Hooray it's Lyn! Lyn's cool Eliwood! Look she's already level 20!

Boo it's Ninian. Dump that trashy ho, Eliwood. She's shit.

-game continues to make Eliwood fret about Ninian.-

Dammit Eliwood, this is why Hector is everybody's favorite.

Playing Fire Emblem 7 again.

Hooray it's Lyn! Lyn's cool Eliwood! Look she's already level 20!

Boo it's Ninian. Dump that trashy ho, Eliwood. She's shit.

-game continues to make Eliwood fret about Ninian.-

Dammit Eliwood, this is why Hector is everybody's favorite.

Hector and Lyn had better chemistry even before Hector mode, not to mention you can still go for LynxEliwood. Give the guy some slack :(

Nbz

The solution to all of our problems is Fighter Emblem. There would be a fighter for nearly every class, and then just model swaps so that a bunch of characters can be represented without having to make new movesets.

Do it, Nintendo.

I have been wanting a Fire Emblem fighting game for aaaaages. I often imagine it in a Soul Calibur style, which I think would be pretty amazing

Rutger

Banned
I have been wanting a Fire Emblem fighting game for aaaaages. I often imagine it in a Soul Calibur style, which I think would be pretty amazing

It needs to be 2D though.

Just imagine, at the start of the match we see a classic FE map in the standard top down look with the two characters next to each other, it then zooms in to the battle like it normally does and we get to play out the battle scene ourselves.

More importantly though, I don't really think the way Soul Calibur plays is really a good fit for FE. Everyone always seems to be really close to each other whenever I watch it, and I'd expect characters to be moving/jumping around a lot more in a FE fighting game. 2D fighting games are better for projectile based characters too, which would be a must in a FE fighting game.

But that's just me. I'm already biased towards 2D fighting games, and I don't expect a FE fighting game to actually happen anytime soon, so it doesn't matter much anyways.

CorvoSol

Hector and Lyn had better chemistry even before Hector mode, not to mention you can still go for LynxEliwood. Give the guy some slack :(

I just hate the way the game is like, shameless about how it wants you to hook Eliwood and Ninian up. Screw Ninian. All she does is cry the whole game. Lyn, on the other hand, runs out in front of the army and gains 4 levels a fucking turn because ain't nobody stops the Lyn train.

Ezalc

I just hate the way the game is like, shameless about how it wants you to hook Eliwood and Ninian up. Screw Ninian. All she does is cry the whole game. Lyn, on the other hand, runs out in front of the army and gains 4 levels a fucking turn because ain't nobody stops the Lyn train.

It's that way to explain why Roy is such a crap lord, can't have him be Lyn's son and be that awful.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What made you dislike Lyn so much you'd pair her with Eliwood over Hector? Hector is a primal force of nature, Eliwood is whinge personified.

I honestly don't remember much negative thoughts about Eliwoods character unless you count being a Goody-two-shoes as a negative. Are you referring to his push to find his father?

CorvoSol

It's that way to explain why Roy is such a crap lord, can't have him be Lyn's son and be that awful.

Fair enough. I can see Ninian having crap kids.

What made you dislike Lyn so much you'd pair her with Eliwood over Hector? Hector is a primal force of nature, Eliwood is whinge personified.

I liked Eliwood's intro more, I guess. There's always pretending she goes looking for Mark at the end and wanders into FEA

Rutger

Banned
Roy leading the pack. As he should be.

The most capable lord. Managed to pull of a flawless victory in one of the most uphill battles in the series, I trust him leading everyone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh god, been playi8ng FE7 today, I quick saved just before taking on a boss from when they introduce balista, I decided I wanted to use my monk, why not, started off the attack, did incredible damage, armored knight attacks, 1HKO, shiiiit, quick load and gave lyn the armor slayer after finding out slain cant use it, wasent a challenge at alll. thank god for quick save, I know the friends in lyn's section dont "die" but I rather not, plus I know theres a benefit to keeping them all "alive" until the end of her section.

Tommy DJ

Oh god, been playi8ng FE7 today, I quick saved just before taking on a boss from when they introduce balista, I decided I wanted to use my monk, why not, started off the attack, did incredible damage, armored knight attacks, 1HKO, shiiiit, quick load and gave lyn the armor slayer after finding out slain cant use it, wasent a challenge at alll. thank god for quick save, I know the friends in lyn's section dont "die" but I rather not, plus I know theres a benefit to keeping them all "alive" until the end of her section.

Don't worry too much about it. If you haven't got more than two levels on certain units, you don't really lose anything by keeping them alive. I don't think its really a spoiler but
in the case of Rath, its actually beneficial to kill him off because he's too high level to get any real exp in Lyn's story and killing him off has him reappear with a higher level and B rank in bows rather than his Lyn's story C rank.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi just completed a resetless Lunatic+ Fire Emblem Awakening run in a little over 10 hours. No grinding, DLC, Bonus Box, etc. Here is Part 1.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Don't worry too much about it. If you haven't got more than two levels on certain units, you don't really lose anything by keeping them alive. I don't think its really a spoiler but
in the case of Rath, its actually beneficial to kill him off because he's too high level to get any real exp in Lyn's story and killing him off has him reappear with a higher level and B rank in bows rather than his Lyn's story C rank.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi just completed a resetless Lunatic+ Fire Emblem Awakening run in a little over 10 hours. No grinding, DLC, Bonus Box, etc. Here is Part 1.

Rath has been doing a good job not getting himself killed tho...altho that might be because of my own strategizing.

CorvoSol

I like getting new characters in 7 but I almost never use them. Like I just pick 1 archer and stick with them for most of the game and so on.

Thud

I like getting new characters in 7 but I almost never use them. Like I just pick 1 archer and stick with them for most of the game and so on.

I like to change it sometimes. But yeah I usually stick with one per kind. For this playtrough I used Rebecca as an archer and didn't bother using Rath and Wil.

CorvoSol

I like to change it sometimes. But yeah I usually stick with one per kind. For this playtrough I used Rebecca as an archer and didn't bother using Rath and Wil.

Horse or not, I never use Rath cuz I don't want him mucking up whatever Support I'm trying to build for Lyn.

Top Bottom