• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Losing a member in fire emblem must be up there with one of the best reactions gamers could have, its like your heart sinks and you get total shock on your face, especially if they get 1HKO.

Losing a member in fire emblem must be up there with one of the best reactions gamers could have, its like your heart sinks and you get total shock on your face, especially if they get 1HKO.

Come young foxuzamaki. Join the Iron Run side. Know your true emotions. Let those victories and failures be permanently etched onto your heart.

mediuth.gif

Busaiku

New 3DS doesn't affect game speeds at all.
It just decreases boot/exit times for the games.

Unless they specifically do an update for it, like in the case of Codename S.T.E.A.M..

I feel like I should do something Fire Emblem related for the 25th anniversery. If not now, maybe after I finish with Megami Tensei 1. Maybe I'll try to redo my Iron Man Run of Fire Emblem 1, or do it for Fire Emblem 3 Book 1. MAYBE FE11 but I'd have to obtain
or "obtain"
a copy of that.

Fire Emblem 1 Iron Man was fun but the inventory system in that game...god, shoot me. 4 items and no trading, only giving. And you can only give 1 item at a time. The reason my iron man ended was because Navarre died with the Mercurius Sword (which btw only Marth can use in FE1)

EDIT: Just to be sure, how far up can you reasonably go in the difficulty settings before reclassing units in FE11 and 12 becomes pretty much required instead of "a fun new feature?"

Chrom

I'm still doing my FE1 run. Currently on Chapter 19.

Fun fact: Est won't show up in Chapter 18 if Minerva dies before then. I learned that the hard way, so no Mercurius for me. I might be mistaken, but I believe Shadow Dragon removed that recruitment clause.

I'm still doing my FE1 run. Currently on Chapter 19.

Fun fact: Est won't show up in Chapter 18 if Minerva dies before then. I learned that the hard way, so no Mercurius for me. I might be mistaken, but I believe Shadow Dragon removed that recruitment clause.

How do you plan to tackle Camus? I'm gonna be honest, he and his always terrified me whenever I go for The War of Shadows story line with FE1 or 3. Not only did he scare me out of finishing my Iron Man run, but he also made me take forever to finish my 1st complete play-through of FE3 Book 1. His Black Knight army is also pretty awful with their Silver Swords and Lances. Let's not forget that in FE1 there's no real weapon triangle, and Silver Swords beat Silver Lances in pretty much every single way. It's a major slog.

LOL At the Lucina waifu thread getting locked. Can't say I'm surprised...or annoyed :p

Chrom

How do you plan to tackle Camus? I'm gonna be honest, he and his always terrified me whenever I go for The War of Shadows story line with FE1 or 3. Not only did he scare me out of finishing my Iron Man run, but he also made me take forever to finish my 1st complete play-through of FE3 Book 1. His Black Knight army is also pretty awful with their Silver Swords and Lances. Let's not forget that in FE1 there's no real weapon triangle, and Silver Swords beat Silver Lances in pretty much every single way. It's a major slog.

LOL At the Lucina waifu thread getting locked. Can't say I'm surprised...or annoyed :p

The Camus and Michalis maps are definitely the two I'm looking forward to the least... Currently the playmakers of my team are Cain and Abel (and Xane, I guess), but by the time I reach the former map, Merric and Palla (or Caeda) could definitely contribute a lot thanks to promotion items that'll be used by then. There also happens to be an armory that sells Ridersbanes on the map, which will probably help a lot if I happen to run out of any on hand. Marth himself could easily sweep many of the enemies on his own, but I know he can't solo it all and he capped his level several chapters ago; I'd rather have that experience actually go somewhere. I'm not too bummed over losing Mercurius.

And yeah, I hadn't noticed that thread until you mentioned it. That was something.

jnWake

I like to change it sometimes. But yeah I usually stick with one per kind. For this playtrough I used Rebecca as an archer and didn't bother using Rath and Wil.

Rebecca is so good. I've been using her through Hector Mode and I believe she's my highest leveled character (I'm in Cog of Destiny). There are so many ballistas in Hector Mode haha and since she's so fast she can even do 2x with ballista.

I promoted Priscilla a bit earlier too and she's a killing machine with magic. Serra's nice with light magic too but Priscilla has been wrecking everything, totally outclassed Erk.

Also, the Lucius x Serra support is godly, although I'm going for Sain x Serra, which is also hilarious.

By the way, GameXplain's Derrick is doing some sort of let's play through FE7 and it's hilarious, exciting and infuriating. I recommend it if you can be patient with someone who's clearly very new at the game.

Thud

Rebecca is so good. I've been using her through Hector Mode and I believe she's my highest leveled character (I'm in Cog of Destiny). There are so many ballistas in Hector Mode haha and since she's so fast she can even do 2x with ballista.

I promoted Priscilla a bit earlier too and she's a killing machine with magic. Serra's nice with light magic too but Priscilla has been wrecking everything, totally outclassed Erk.

Also, the Lucius x Serra support is godly, although I'm going for Sain x Serra, which is also hilarious.

By the way, GameXplain's Derrick is doing some sort of let's play through FE7 and it's hilarious, exciting and infuriating. I recommend it if you can be patient with someone who's clearly very new at the game.

I finished a couple of minutes ago. Some characters got bad RNG like Matthew, Priscilla and Lyn. Rebecca, Canas, Lowen, Oswin,Hector and Florina were wrecking. Eliwood was okay, I had to pour stat bonus items on him. Normal is way too easy overall, but I enjoyed going through the whole game again.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Might check out how bad derrick is doing then.

Josephl64

Pretty bad haha, but it's fun.

I have flashbacks of Etika playing Awakening and losing both
Sumia and Cordelia right away as soon as he got them

Derrick is definitely entertaining and frustrating to watch at the same time.

Anyways, I've played through every FE game, but never dabbled with the community or met other people who were into anything besides awakening...so what's an Iron Man run? Just soloing the game with one character?

I don't think the community at large calls it Ironman, but I borrowed the name from Xcom. It's basically a no reset run. Dead people stay dead. Hence why I said your victories and defeats mean more to you. I personally think all fans of the series should try it at least once with a game.

I have flashbacks of Etika playing Awakening and losing both
Sumia and Cordelia right away as soon as he got them

Derrick is definitely entertaining and frustrating to watch at the same time.

Anyways, I've played through every FE game, but never dabbled with the community or met other people who were into anything besides awakening...so what's an Iron Man run? Just soloing the game with one character?

no, that's called a speedrun

TAS 20 move Leif for MVP
I don't think the community at large calls it Ironman, but I borrowed the name from Xcom. It's basically a no reset run. Dead people stay dead. Hence why I said your victories and defeats mean more to you. I personally think all fans of the series should try it at least once with a game.
I think most of the community does call it an ironman or something like that now

jnWake

No reset and blind for max suffering. I couldn't do it in FE7. I couldn't stand losing Serra in the Erik chapter (didn't expect him to attack me), but I later accepted Marcus and Heath dying (I savescummed in another chapter though haha).

Josephl64

no, that's called a speedrun

TAS 20 move Leif for MVP

I think most of the community does call it an ironman or something like that now

Thanks for the info, I guess I've done this before. I'm trying to play all the games starting from the original 3 ways before moving onto the next.

The standard reset if somebody dies run, continue on if somebody dies, and if somebody dies count it as a game over and start the game from the beginning.

Thanks for the info, I guess I've done this before. I'm trying to play all the games starting from the original 3 ways before moving onto the next.

The standard reset if somebody dies run, continue on if somebody dies, and if somebody dies count it as a game over and start the game from the beginning.

You're a dedicated man than I am. Good luck, would love to hear about the highlights.

Oh hey, a Fire Emblem community. I guess I'll post in here every now and then.

I've been watching Derrick's stream the last few Sundays and I have to say, it's really interesting seeing how a FE newbie tackles the game. It's been full of unexpected (Uhai will move if damaged!) and facepalm worthy moments (How does one lose Dart after TWO turns...) It's definitely been entertaining lol.

So another idea I had was to do an Iron Man run of Book 1 and 2 of FE3 together. So for instance if Gordon dies in Book 1, I can't use him in Book 2 because of course he didn't survive through the war.

I'd probably still count an Aum Staff usage as a survival since its purpose is to revive the dead, so I could use it to give a 2nd chance to a fallen warrior for Book 2.

Draxal

Which was added for the Western release (the animations for Lyn wielding the Sol Katti).

Hmmm...

Well she's not 15 anymore ... I guess .. I'm just happy that it wasn't in the Japanese release.

keep complaining about waifus breh

you guys got the game you deserve

+1.

This fetishization has always been there since I joined the fandom, from Ayra in FE4, Lyn in FE7, Mia/Neph in 9/10 (though not nearly as bad as the others) and now Lucina/Tharja.

I love how Nintendo isn't afraid to fiddle with the games during localisation.

I think my favourite change was adding 5-ish battle maps for Shadow Dragon's multiplayer mode. If you thought the multiplayer wasn't that great, you should feel bad for the Japanese fans who only got the one tiny battle map.

But at least they got all the other maps in the sequel, which we never got D:

Rutger

Banned

I think my favourite change was adding 5-ish battle maps for Shadow Dragon's multiplayer mode. If you thought the multiplayer wasn't that great, you should feel bad for the Japanese fans who only got the one tiny battle map.

But at least they got all the other maps in the sequel, which we never got D:

Removing FE9 maniac mode was enough to make me hope they never think of changing up the gameplay in any way during localization again.

I did not know that about Shadow Dragon though, that's pretty cool.

Chrom

For FE Awakening the Japanese version offered a mute option for the Avatar, which completely altered the script for the game to accommodate the silent protagonist. But for the localized release they just got rid of that; probably to cut the work, heh. I've been wondering if that will happen again for FE if.

NeonZ

Awakening lost the silent protagonist voice option and compatibility of spotpass characters with the streetpass teams due to localization changes. They also removed one voice for each gender.

For FE Awakening the Japanese version offered a mute option for the Avatar, which completely altered the script for the game to accommodate the silent protagonist. But for the localized release they just got rid of that; probably to cut the work, heh. I've been wondering if that will happen again for FE if.

Awakening lost the silent protagonist voice option and compatibility of spotpass characters with the streetpass teams due to localization changes. They also removed one voice for each gender.

Yeah, that sucked. Worse was when they cut the extended script from Radiant Dawn, probably to save time as well.

Unlike Awakening's mute option, which was cute, the extended script helped to flesh out some characters and explain some bits of the story.

Radiant Dawn medium-major spoilers:
The prison interrogation scene at the end of Part 2 Endgame was roughly twice as long in the extended version and really explained how the Crimean rebellion occurred.

Also, it was heavily implied that Yune was the one who blessed the Black Knight's (and presumably Ashnard's) black armour--something many fans can't seem to find a valid explanation for.

On the plus side, the localised version did add numerous scenes for the Dawn Brigade, who sorely needed development time.

Chrom

If anyone out there owns a Japanese Wii U or 3DS, every Fire Emblem game available is going on sale on the eShop at 25% off starting next week. It's been posted about on Fire Emblem World here.

Chrom

Yusuke Kozaki was practicing his sketching earlier today. He decided to work on various FE characters and posted them all on Twitter. You can see what he drew here.

Bonus! He drew Seliph the other day too.

Josephl64

If anyone out there owns a Japanese Wii U or 3DS, every Fire Emblem game available is going on sale on the eShop at 25% off starting next week. It's been posted about on Fire Emblem World here.

Thanks, I'll see what they have for 3DS. I don't have a Wii U yet or else I would grab the Wii U games...unless there's a way for me to get them added to my account regardless

Top Bottom