• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

So I'm playing Fire Emblem Awakening and... I'm curious why certain characters don't have support conversations. The obvious ones being the SpotPass ones (
Emmeryn doesn't have ANY support with Chrom and/or Lissa? Really?
) or the more mundane ones, like Nowi and Tiki (I know Nah has supports with Tiki, but it just seems strange Nowi doesn't).

L95

I guess because they didn't write them.

They tried to make up for the lack of nonromatic supports in the scramble sets of dlc, I guess.

chumby

Neo Member
If I want to block reinforcements from entering the map in Shadow Dragon, do I have to leave one person on each spawn point? That's what I've been doing, but I played a map yesterday where I had 3 of 4 spawn points covered for a while, and it seems the 4th spawn point didn't spawn anyone.

So I'm playing Fire Emblem Awakening and... I'm curious why certain characters don't have support conversations. The obvious ones being the SpotPass ones (
Emmeryn doesn't have ANY support with Chrom and/or Lissa? Really?
) or the more mundane ones, like Nowi and Tiki (I know Nah has supports with Tiki, but it just seems strange Nowi doesn't).

The Spotpass characters all got shafted with supports. They can only support with the Avatar and
even Yen'fay can't support with Say'ri, I mean come on.
I don't even mind the supports in Awakening but they really were wasted potential for the most part.

L95

If I want to block reinforcements from entering the map in Shadow Dragon, do I have to leave one person on each spawn point? That's what I've been doing, but I played a map yesterday where I had 3 of 4 spawn points covered for a while, and it seems the 4th spawn point didn't spawn anyone.

I would assume they just stopped spawning. But yeah when they are spawning just have a unit wait on the spot. (Heck, if the enemy unit doesn't move from the spawn point it stops spawning as well.)

c-murph

You guys all seem like experts.

I paired up and currently grinding Nowi with Gaius.

I'm thinking:

Nah (Manakete) - Dragonstone+
Limit Break DLC
Sol
Lifetaker
Vantage
Galeforce

Nowi passing down Lifetaker
Gaius passing down Sol

Suggestions, comments, criticisms?

I'm thinking:

Limit Break DLC
Sol
Lifetaker
Vantage
Galeforce

Gaius passing down Sol

Personally, I never use Lifetaker and Sol because it sounded redundant and I never really needed Lifetaker around. Try putting on some Breakers I love them.

I'm thinking:

Limit Break DLC
Sol
Lifetaker
Vantage
Galeforce

Gaius passing down Sol

since this is postgame, have Gaius pass down some male-exclusive skill instead, Nah can pick Sol up later on her own

Any advice on planning for a Lunatic playthrough? I would do a Casual runthrough, but I might as well rip the band-aid off and do it as Classic just to say I've done it.

For example: what's a good Morgan build? A common one I see is Donnel x Nowi > Nah > Morgan. If, hypothetically, I wanted to do this, what would be the best asset/flaw to pick when creating MyUnit?

Actually children on lunatic aren't really great since they are only level 10 (even with great best stats, they still hinder you), you should focus only on Morgan and Lucina and maybe two others. You should focus on making 3 or 4 pairings of super units.

The best characters on lunatic are in my opinion My Unit (def + skill / luck - is great), Chrom with his personnal weapons, Cordelia and Lon'qu as combats units. Anna, Lissa, Libra and Olivia as supports units. They are others great combats units but most of them needs a second skill to be really efficient (I especially think of Palne which becomes a goddess once reclassed to Wyvern Knight, Stahl and Miriel are also good)

And also, Lunatic prevents grinding (without DLC) by making enemies on map extremely strong, so get ready to buy a lot of stats boosters to compensate.

Last thing, normally, your units will get a A-rank on their first weapon type very quickly (Chrom always gets A rank on swords on chapter 9 at worst), so the weapons you obtain by spotpass are really useful mid game but this is the easier part of the game. You should keep them after chapter 16 where all enemies are all promoted and boss are way stronger.

Actually children on lunatic aren't really great since they are only level 10 (even with great best stats, they still hinder you), you should focus only on Morgan and Lucina and maybe two others. You should focus on making 3 or 4 pairings of super units.

The best characters on lunatic are in my opinion My Unit (def + skill / luck - is great), Chrom with his personnal weapons, Cordelia and Lon'qu as combats units. Anna, Lissa, Libra and Olivia as supports units. They are others great combats units but most of them needs a second skill to be really efficient (I especially think of Palne which becomes a goddess once reclassed to Wyvern Knight, Stahl and Miriel are also good)

eh...Chrom's only decent as a pairup bot, and there's no way Lon'qu is ever good

Sumia, Cordelia, Panne (reclasses to Wyvern Rider) are good fliers, Miriel is a surprisingly decent mage...if you need one, Robin is obviously OP, any of their kids will probably be decent by proxy

eh...Chrom's only decent as a pairup bot, and there's no way Lon'qu is ever good

Sumia, Cordelia, Panne (reclasses to Wyvern Rider) are good fliers, Miriel is a surprisingly decent mage...if you need one, Robin is obviously OP, any of their kids will probably be decent by proxy

The only problem with chrom is that he doesn't have ranged attack until reclassement and / or promotion. He can get a lot of xp from the first chapters (but I prefer to give MU a lot of exp on prologue so he / she can solo chapter 1), if you distribute exp properly he should deal with ennemies properly after chapter 3 (the armor knights are almost free xp for him), all the next chapters are great for him since there are always a bunch of units that are weaks to his weapon. Especially chapter 9 where there are a lot of wyvern knights.

Lon'qu is frail first but his base speed is so high that he can double almost everyone. He needs a little help from the killing but once his strength and HP are enough after some levels he becomes extremely reliable. And there are also the fact that early game is basically a axe feast. I remember on chapter 9 I just put Lon'qu on the top of the map, waiting for reinforcements. I admit that he needs some support but that's worth it. Actually every characters not named Robin needs support to be efficient.

(KnightBuster If you could get Tiki that would be great too, Say'ri X Tiki is pretty good endgame since Tiki and Say'ri base stats on Lunatic are absolutely crazy, but her paralogue is nightmare)

(Has anyone found a decent Lunatic (or even +) playthrough without DLC grinding on youtube or anywhere else ? There a lots for FE12 and it's quite interesting to see but nobody seems to have uploaded something for FE13)

Tommy DJ

I posted a successful Lunatic+ playthrough with zero resets a few posts back. Here is Part 1. Spoilers: FeRobin + Chrom solo the game. Its also like 10 hours long because it has no resets and the guy basically has to spend minutes counting cards sometimes since its a no reset run.

The only two things you need to know in Lunatic are that the women are generally better than the men. They either come with crazy good base stats, good growths, good classes, or provide some sort of utility from the get go. The only one that is kind of bad is Maribelle because she's made of paper and Lissa will have more magic and Healtouch by then. Also, you need to know which classes give which pair up bonuses. This is really more important in the early game, since Virion's +2 def pair up bonus resulting from his archer class lets Miriel survive archer hits in Chapter 3 from memory, but you can make the game more consistent if you build pairs around this knowledge.

I can sperge about Lunatic but it isn't really needed. Lunatic isn't actually as difficult as most people claim it to be if you have good knowledge of Awakening's game mechanics...they're floating around Serenes Forest. There's only a few things you need to remember when playing Lunatic:
  • Magic is overpowered.
  • Support ranks are one of the most important things in Lunatic. Remember that certain unit pairings, like Gregor with Nowi, have much faster support growths than others.
  • You need to bench units that fall behind in growths/levels. If Stahl can't get enough speed to survive against enemy sword users, you need to bench him ASAP.
As far as assets go, I personally think +speed is better than +def as it makes clearing Chapter 2, the main troublesome map in the game, extremely reliable. +speed Robin only needs 3 levels in speed, and a Chrom pair-up, to double every enemy on the map from memory. A C support rank with Chrom also nets a decently reliable dual strike rate, letting Robin one-round Barbarians.

I agree that Chrom is only really good as a hard support. With a S rank support, he dual strikes enough that he doesn't need to be in the lead. The classes has has, Lord and Paladin, give some of the best early, mid, and late game pair up bonuses. Shit, Paladin even gives +1 movement to the lead unit. Again, its not like being in the lead is beneficial for him since dual strike practically gives Chrom as 1-2 range Falchion/Rapier that ignores Pavise.

Aizo

Banned
So I imagine someone mentioned this before, but I just got home from being out of town for about 10 days, and I saw there was a Fire Emblem sale on the Japanese eShop. I picked up some older FE games I've never played (Gaiden, Thracia, Genealogy, but not Shadow Dragon or Mystery because I will get them on DS one day...)

This made me wonder why Binding Blade isn't on there, because I have not played it, either. Any ideas? I've played FE7 before, so I'd really like to play 6 one day...

Also, are these old ones gonna kick my ass? I only played the first battle in Gaiden, but I'm worried about it being tricky later due to its age.

Josephl64

So I imagine someone mentioned this before, but I just got home from being out of town for about 10 days, and I saw there was a Fire Emblem sale on the Japanese eShop. I picked up some older FE games I've never played (Gaiden, Thracia, Genealogy, but not Shadow Dragon or Mystery because I will get them on DS one day...)

This made me wonder why Binding Blade isn't on there, because I have not played it, either. Any ideas? I've played FE7 before, so I'd really like to play 6 one day...

Also, are these old ones gonna kick my ass? I only played the first battle in Gaiden, but I'm worried about it being tricky later due to its age.

I wouldn't say age would be what would make the older ones destroy you, but Geneaology and Thracia are the 2 hardest ones and coincidentially my faves. Thracia was just designed to be difficult. I'd say if you have enough patience to plan out your moves that they're very doable on your first try at them.

Best of luck to you.

Chrom

There isn't a known reason as to why FE6 isn't on the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan. It should theoretically have no issue with being released but to me it seems to be a very deliberate choice to not make it available at this time. The only observation I've made about it is that it was exclusively released in Japan and Nintendo appears to be very reserved about releasing any Game Boy Advance games that are only available in Japanese. Considering the Super Smash Bros. rumor about Roy, perhaps FE6 has been held in limbo for the sake of marketing? They kind of did that in the past with Duck Hunt and The Mysterious Murasame Castle, I believe. Ultimately, I would be very surprised if FE6 doesn't get re-released eventually. I think it's a good game worth playing.

As for the rest of the old games, they may be old and a bit less welcoming than, say, Awakening, but I think all of them are very fun and can still be adequately enjoyed. FE4 and FE5 are definitely above the others difficulty-wise, but I think they're not too bad, or at least the former...

I posted a successful Lunatic+ playthrough with zero resets a few posts back. Here is Part 1. Spoilers: FeRobin + Chrom solo the game. Its also like 10 hours long because it has no resets and the guy basically has to spend minutes counting cards sometimes since its a no reset run.

This is amazing, thanks

(He's even RNG screwed with MU for her magic stat and he still managed to beat chapter 1 and 2, I know how it can be infuriating)

Started on my first ever Lunatic playthrough. ... It gives you no quarter. Chapter 1 was okay, but I can't get past 2 without someone dying (and I am deadset against that). Guess it's time to look at a guide.

Tommy DJ

Robin and Chrom can walk one space at a time through water tiles. Since you have four units in total in the prologue, you can kite non-Mage units indefinitely. This also lets you power level Robin by chipping away at units indefinitely.

This is also useful in Chapter 2.

Ah. I restarted and used that to level Robin to 5. Got to Chapter 3 now, and it's not really all that bad. Frederick + Kellam's Javelin takes care of most of the enemies on the lower ends. I just need to hope I don't get crit'd... again. That happened on a couple of my runs of these maps.

Golnei

It's great to see confirmation of more varied objectives, but I'm really not looking forward to playing the Hoshido campaign if they're not incorporating any of those changes in design - it can still be streamlined and allow for grinding while having more than two types of map. I'm also interested to see what approach the third route will take if Nohr and Hoshido have such disparate design philosophies - perhaps it'll enable grinding and a world map, but utilise Nohr's greater amount of map and objective variation?

I had to change teams after reading that

tumblr_nmzum5jrWR1u4xtp8o1_r1_1280.png

Rutger

Banned
I don't really care much about defend or escape maps returning, since the reality of those maps is that I'll rout them anyways. Still nice to see them back though.

I'm really glad to hear that maps with turn limits will be returning though, since that will actually change things up. Hopefully fog of war is back too.

I'll play through all paths, but Nohr is looking superior in every way. I'm a little disappointed to hear the third path's difficulty will be between the two.

I don't really care much about defend or escape maps returning, since the reality of those maps is that I'll rout them anyways. Still nice to see them back though.

I'm really glad to hear that maps with turn limits will be returning though, since that will actually change things up. Hopefully fog of war is back too.

I'll play through all paths, but Nohr is looking superior in every way. I'm a little disappointed to hear the third path's difficulty will be between the two.
casuals love routing non-rout maps, true :p

I don't really like defense maps without an alternate condition, cause you reach the point where everything is dead and you're sitting around killing the few reinforcements spawning
What if they bring back escape chapters from FE5?

with the "if unit doesn't escape they're captured" feature?

people would riot lol

Josephl64

I feel like if it's done well then it shouldn't be possible to rout everyone, but maybe that's just me.

I would be thrilled.

L95

Ideally they'll make the defend maps hard enough you actually have to defend instead of attack, but I'm not expecting much.

I actually like the idea of losing the units that don't escape, and you can rescue them later, but the game should warn you thoroughly, (FE5 does warn the player, but I think the translation muddled said warning....)

defense maps always end up one of three ways:

1. if you can end it early, you do so (duh)
2. turtle up (cue pic of Hector sitting on the throne alone)
3. rout the enemy

and I'm not really sure how you can break out of that unless you make a version of Radiant Dawn 3-13 without a kill boss alt condition, but even there you can just camp the ledges

Josephl64

Imagine a breaking through the lines scenario where there's no boss so it can't end early and there's infinite respawning enemies so you can't rout to win...that would be interesting if they designed it right somehow

Rutger

Banned
casuals love routing non-rout maps, true :p
Haha, what?
There's not really any strategic value in not routing the enemy when possible, why pass up all that exp?

That's one reason why BEXP was so good, rewarding us for a lower turn count was a much better incentive for not just trying to kill everything than an end game rank or bragging rights.

defense maps always end up one of three ways:

1. if you can end it early, you do so (duh)
2. turtle up (cue pic of Hector sitting on the throne alone)
3. rout the enemy

and I'm not really sure how you can break out of that unless you make a version of Radiant Dawn 3-13 without a kill boss alt condition, but even there you can just camp the ledges

Pretty much. It's a good thing defense maps are not all that common, a game would be pretty dull if we had to play through too many of them. There's just not a whole lot to them.

Haha, what?
There's not really any strategic value in not routing the enemy when possible, why pass up all that exp?

That's one reason why BEXP was so good, rewarding us for a lower turn count was a much better incentive for not just trying to kill everything than an end game rank or bragging rights.

Pretty much. It's a good thing defense maps are not all that common, a game would be pretty dull if we had to play through too many of them. There's just not a whole lot to them.

Something something PLAY IRONMAN something!! BOOOO!!

I'll convert someone one day, I just need to keep trying!

Imagine a breaking through the lines scenario where there's no boss so it can't end early and there's infinite respawning enemies so you can't rout to win...that would be interesting if they designed it right somehow

They'll need to balance it someway to not turn it into a grinding map :p

Top Bottom