• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

NeonZ

That's what I surmised as well. The site was due for catching up on the newer infomation from last month.

I'm still kind of salty over Lucina being the DLC character from the Awakening deck despite Chrom being the cover character, haha.

It's technically Masked Lucina. Chrom doesn't have a convenient 2nd identity to become a card game bonus.

So, I finished RD on Easy and I'm currently going through Normal (on part 3 atm), and though I enjoyed the game overall, I felt like the maps weren't as interesting as PoR, for some reason. Part 1 seemed incredibly difficult compared to the rest of the game, while the rest felt really easy, perhaps too easy, largely due to Haar. Having so many ally reinforcements also took the pacing out of the game, since I spent a lot of time just watching Laguz or whatever hack away at the enemy slowly. I wish the game had a skip function like in Awakening.

What do you guys think about the maps in RD?

So, I finished RD on Easy and I'm currently going through Normal (on part 3 atm), and though I enjoyed the game overall, I felt like the maps weren't as interesting as PoR, for some reason. Part 1 seemed incredibly difficult compared to the rest of the game, while the rest felt really easy, perhaps too easy, largely due to Haar. Having so many ally reinforcements also took the pacing out of the game, since I spent a lot of time just watching Laguz or whatever hack away at the enemy slowly. I wish the game had a skip function like in Awakening.

What do you guys think about the maps in RD?

your complaint is that it's too easy...but then all of PoR is a joke difficulty wise outside of Maniac Mode?

your complaint is that it's too easy...but then all of PoR is a joke difficulty wise outside of Maniac Mode?

Well, that's one of my complaints. I just can't figure out why I feel like RD's maps are just less fun than PoR's maps, even though both aren't terribly difficult outside of RD's part 1. Maybe it's because PoR's mechanics felt newer to me, since I played it before RD. I'd have to go back and play PoR again if I wanted to compare maps.

Sölf

No one forces you to use the easy mode. I definitly won't use them. The "Dragon Pulse" sounds interesting. Regarding durability, eh. Depends on how they structure the game. In most other games, you rarely even use the strong weapons because they break. If either weapons or funds aren't available unlimitedly I see no problem with the removed durability.

Chrom

I guess I'll be the first to mention that the lack of weapon usage in Fire Emblem Gaiden wasn't so bad in my opinion. In fact, I found the game to be more challenging than FE1.

Rutger

Banned
Fan Favorite FE4 doesn't have weapon durability either.
Well, weapons can still break, but it's little more than a slap on the wrist for being careless. Keeping your good weapons repaired isn't difficult from what I've played.

I would certainly rather they keep weapon durability, I think it adds something interesting to the game, and my time with FE4 has shown that giving someone an unlimited hero weapon might be worth being concerned about. Still, weapon durability is usually easy to work around anyways, so it might not be a big loss.

Phoenix mode is funny. Maybe they wanted to appeal to fans of FE4 without breaking the game by adding the ability to make permanent saves at the start of any turn again.

I weary to the idea of no limited usage...but I suppose if Intelligent Systems properly balances the game around this then it can work. I think it'd be best if they made higher class weapons rarer, or emphasized on the differences between a weaker weapon vs a stronger one. Or they need to give tons of stronger weapons to the enemies.

Either way, it CAN work, but there's tons of ways for it to be fucked up. I won't lose hope quite yet though.

Well, weapons can still break, but it's little more than a slap on the wrist for being careless. Keeping your good weapons repaired isn't difficult from what I've played.

I would certainly rather they keep weapon durability, I think it adds something interesting to the game, and my time with FE4 has shown that giving someone an unlimited hero weapon might be worth being concerned about. Still, weapon durability is usually easy to work around anyways, so it might not be a big loss.

Phoenix mode is funny. Maybe they wanted to appeal to fans of FE4 without breaking the game by adding the ability to make permanent saves at the start of any turn again.

FE4 is an example of how it may not work so well, despite also adoring it. Granted, the crazy power of the Holy Weapons wasn't helping matters.

I'm fine with Phoenix mode because it's a mode. As long as the game is balanced around the normal settings, adding things to make it easier doesn't bother me.

Ok I have been trying to play Fire Emblem: Awakening for two years (it was the game I picked up my 3DS with) and I feel like I am playing the game wrong.

I enter battles, team up characters, and try to attack. Get through two rounds and then all the enemies kill a character and I reset. It takes me days to get through a story battle, most of the characters that show up via streetpass are massively over leveled. I tried summoning a low level spot pass person (the little sister from radiant dawn) and that helped but I used a ton of weapon uses and didn't seem to gain enough levels.

like I said I just feel like I am playing it wrong. Maybe I should reset and play through the game on the mode where you don't have permadeath. I want to enjoy the gameplay and I have heard nothing but good things about the story.

Ok I have been trying to play Fire Emblem: Awakening for two years (it was the game I picked up my 3DS with) and I feel like I am playing the game wrong.

I enter battles, team up characters, and try to attack. Get through two rounds and then all the enemies kill a character and I reset. It takes me days to get through a story battle, most of the characters that show up via streetpass are massively over leveled. I tried summoning a low level spot pass person (the little sister from radiant dawn) and that helped but I used a ton of weapon uses and didn't seem to gain enough levels.

like I said I just feel like I am playing it wrong. Maybe I should reset and play through the game on the mode where you don't have permadeath. I want to enjoy the gameplay and I have heard nothing but good things about the story.

For reference, is FE:A the only Fire Emblem you've played?

Weapons with less uses left were cheaper to buy so for some weapons you could keep their uses deliberately low so other party members could more easily afford it. The sleep sword is a prime example, fairly expensive, low uses (the main crime of FE4 is rarely having things not have 50 uses). For cheesing the arena the sleep sword can be an automatic win if you brute force the RNG. hit opponent, watch them sleep, back out of arena (or stay in if you're going to break the thing instead, generally do that on round 7) and switch weapons (rather than yield fight) and finish them off (as the sleep status remains).

For reference, is FE:A the only Fire Emblem you've played?

Yes and No, I have played other fire Emblems before ( i owned the Gamecube and Wii games at one time, and I own the DS remake) however, I have never finished any game before. The same things keep happening. I get so stressed out on losing characters that I just give up.

I almost want to restart, but I want to see if others have any tips on how to mitigate these issues. Is there some gameplay mechanic that I am missing?

NeonZ

Yes and No, I have played other fire Emblems before ( i owned the Gamecube and Wii games at one time, and I own the DS remake) however, I have never finished any game before. The same things keep happening. I get so stressed out on losing characters that I just give up.

Are you trying to level up your entire army? Focus on a core group of 10 or so characters. Also, you're using the pair up function, right? Not only placing the units beside each other, actually make them join together and occupy the same square.

wait, is lack of weapon durability casual/phoenix mode only or what?

I guess I'll be the first to mention that the lack of weapon usage in Fire Emblem Gaiden wasn't so bad in my opinion. In fact, I found the game to be more challenging than FE1.

Gaiden's item system also works completely differently from the rest of the series

Well considering how awful Awakening was balanced I'm not super hopeful removing durability would be a good design decision

So many people complaining that they never used the Strong weapons...how is that the games fault, lol

Are you trying to level up your entire army? Focus on a core group of 10 or so characters. Also, you're using the pair up function, right? Not only placing the units beside each other, actually make them join together and occupy the same square.

I am still early in the game, Chrom and Robin seem to be alright, along with the OP cavalier character. but the rest of my team just seams to be overrun. Even when I pair them they just get decimated. and they rarely attack at the same time so only one character gets EXP.

For reference, the last characters I recruited are the troubadour and mage (forgot their names).

Should I buy the DLC for EXP and Gold? would that even help?

Well considering how awful Awakening was balanced I'm not super hopeful removing durability would be a good design decision

So many people complaining that they never used the Strong weapons...how is that the games fault, lol

like I said in the other thread, it's the same mentality behind hoarding elixirs and other items

Levyne

Banned
for some reason I get irrationally annoyed when I hear people say "I hoard everything and then never use it lol" and then blame the game. I'm glad I've never really had a hoarding problem that sounds very unfun

for some reason I get irrationally annoyed when I hear people say "I hoard everything and then never use it lol" and then blame the game. I'm glad I've never really had a hoarding problem that sounds very unfun

especially funny when you know many of these same people complain about "dumbed down AAA games"

also there's this unconfirmed thing:
This particular detail hasn’t been confirmed, but it seems the blue-haired songstress, Aqua, may be in a similar but reverse position as the Avatar. According to reports, she is the princess of Nohr taken prisoner by Hoshido. If you recall, the Avatar is the prince/princess of Hoshido raised by Nohr.

3 settings for difficulty, 3 different routes, 3 different settings regarding death, 3 sets of 3 save files

Half Life 3 confirmed

Tommy DJ

I don't think I've ever encountered a durability issue with regards to weapons. The bigger problem with the Fire Emblem games is that the balance goes way out of the window by mid-game in most cases if you have even a remote idea what you're doing.

In fact, Fire Emblem isn't really a particularly solid series when it comes to well thought out balance decisions. Doesn't mean its not fun but certain games like FE4 are just really, really, really bad when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

If FE14 is a more conscious attempt to deal with Fire Emblem balance issues, good for them.

Reset

I am still early in the game, Chrom and Robin seem to be alright, along with the OP cavalier character. but the rest of my team just seams to be overrun. Even when I pair them they just get decimated. and they rarely attack at the same time so only one character gets EXP.

For reference, the last characters I recruited are the troubadour and mage (forgot their names).

Should I buy the DLC for EXP and Gold? would that even help?

Well in the EXP map the enemies don't attack you unless you hit them first but they can't touch you at all if you're using a ranged weapon. It's basically free experience so it's fine if you want to level up the rest of your team.
But I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you're playing on Lunatic or higher difficulty because it kinda ruins the game.

I don't think I've ever encountered a durability issue with regards to weapons. The bigger problem with the Fire Emblem games is that the balance goes way out of the window by mid-game in most cases if you have even a remote idea what you're doing.

In fact, Fire Emblem isn't really a particularly solid series when it comes to well thought out balance decisions. Doesn't mean its not fun but certain games like FE4 are just really, really, really bad when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

If FE14 is a more conscious attempt to deal with Fire Emblem balance issues, good for them.

you keep saying this, but do you honestly even believe that

Tommy DJ

you keep saying this, but do you honestly even believe that

The Fire Emblem series have their host of poor gameplay mechanics. I feel that weapon durability is one of these things that just don't mean a whole lot and is actually sort of tedious.

A problem is that most Fire Emblem games hand you good weapons on a platter come mid-game. Ignoring specialty staves, this series tendency to do this trivializes weapon uses unless you're OCD like me and must have a even number of uses. People talk about resource and item management but I don't think I've ever seriously done this in any Fire Emblem game except for a ranked run of Hector Hard Mode? Really, its more of an annoyance rather than anything actually strategic (a lot of Fire Emblem is sort of like this but that's a different topic).

Now, I'm expecting them to do something stupid like the Veteran skill again but I do actually honestly expect them to do something in response to any decision to remove the durability requirement. Seriously speaking, FE13's problems is not related to an oversimplification of game mechanics (though removal of the rescue mechanic blows) but rather it enables everything negative about existing Fire Emblem mechanics. Same goes for the Bonus Exp system in the Tellius series. Like I said, assuming they account for unlimited uses in some capacity, I seriously doubt anyone will seriously miss it.

Thracia 776 did pretty good with weapon balance for the 6 chapters (+ gaiden) that I played. Thanks to the fact that weapons are expensive to buy and are generally stolen from captured units, you were very often on a weapon crunch, and balancing using weapons to get out of tight spots with not overusing the good stuff for later was a real aspect of the game.

At least as far as I played. I believe I heard the balance gets pretty shitty later on, especially if you decide to have Ced/Sety and his LOLsety (Holsety/Forseti) tome join you near the end.

ok, pretty much every single one of those people arguing about making the game more accessible are massive hypocrites, considering they've argued against one or all of Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, or any other relatively minor game changing things to appeal to a wider audience

jnWake

I'm not a long time FE fan (in fact, I've just played FE7 haha), but I don't see the weapon durability thing as that much of an issue. If they limit the amount of strong weapons or make them harder to get, then it'll be fine.

In fact, just thinking about stuff like Bolting being unlimited is scary (not sure if those spells still exist in newer games though).

Seda

I don't mind weapon durability. I like the extra resource management, but I'm open to seeing how they balance normal and high-tier weaponry.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I don't mind weapon durability. I like the extra resource management, but I'm open to seeing how they balance normal and high-tier weaponry.

Yeah thats what Im wondering about too and what I had always seen the durability system as to prevent the player from roflstomping the enemy just by using the better weapons. Also duckroll mentioned the other point of making a "false economy" to ensure money keeps being used.

I liked the extra layer of strategy to decide if I wanted to use the standard equipment and have the chance of not killing my target or using the more rare one but using up its durability.

Thud

Enemy ballista with infinite uses could be fun.
Return of berserk, sleep and silence staves would be nice.
Upgrading weapons in the armory, so you have to choose if you want to use an iron sword or rather upgrade to a steel sword for a fair bit of money.

So yes, there are some cool stuff you could do without weapon durability. However considering the direction Awakening took, I'm still not convinced it will be for the best.

basically I think this comes down to whether you actually trust IS or not

and I think for a decent number of people the answer to that is "hell no"

Levyne

Banned
Remember when an IS developed game was an insta-buy?

Now it's more like "yeah it will probably still be mostly good but eeeh"

Draxal

basically I think this comes down to whether you actually trust IS or not

and I think for a decent number of people the answer to that is "hell no"

Vocal minority is always a vocal minority, but at least there's Kaga's game to sate the old school desire.

edit. This came off a little harsher than I meant, but I really don't think the majority of the player base cares one way or the other about durability (I don't like the change personally, I think something like armsthrift should have been kept for those players or at least have the option of making it a toggle.

Vocal minority is always a vocal minority, but at least there's Kaga's game to sate the old school desire.

edit. This came off a little harsher than I meant, but I really don't think the majority of the player base cares one way or the other about durability (I don't like the change personally, I think something like armsthrift should have been kept for those players or at least have the option of making it a toggle.

time for Kaga to make a kickstarter like so many other devs?
lol

L95

Looking at Kamui's ponytail option makes me want to make an Ishtar look-alike :B

I wonder when the official site will update with this stuff...

Looking at Kamui's ponytail option makes me want to make an Ishtar look-alike :B

I wonder when the official site will update with this stuff...

you sure do like your purple hair girls

also Aqua's stats aren't even bad for being level 1?

(it would be nice if they could put a maniac mode in between hard and lunatic)

L95

Yeah, Aqua's stats feel a little touch high for a level 1.

With the Famitsu stuff, I hope we get an update on the official site soonish. (I mostly want artwork/portraits....)

L95

I was just looking at the FEif's MU creation page again, the hair color number goes up to 27, that's higher than in Awakening isn't it? I think Awakening had just 20.

Top Bottom