• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

bonercop

It pretty much just feels like at random.

A lot of the translated names in Awakening for the Streetpass characters just felt like eh, we can change it cause we feel like it.

yeah, i don't feel like the "localization, not translation!!!" excuse holds much water in this context.

Draxal

of course not

but just wait for the Camilla amiibos! Kappa

I think it's most likely going to be IR and not fates now. Bundle IR with Chrom and Caeda watch sales triple what they would be normally, as non wii u owners would buy in. Have them unlock skins in IR and the characters in Fates and bam, just like they're doing with Chibi Robo.

I've given up hope on Fate amiibos.

Is it just me or are a lot of the localization changes just "cut off and/or modify part of name" rather than actual changes

edit: not that IS had the guts to do it to begin with, but RIP any hopes for same-sex marriages

bonercop

Is it just me or are a lot of the localization changes just "cut off and/or modify part of name" rather than actual changes

they do that for the japanese names to make them easier to remember for a western audience. that's fine, imo, altho sometimes i think translators underestimate people's ability to put up with foreign names.

Draxal

These are freaking awful. Good lord.

These actually work well. Subaki=Tsubaki is just a different form of romanization. With Suzukaze and Kazehana I'm wondering if it's a text box size issue, or they think the two of them will confuse the western audience.

yami4ct

These actually work well. Subaki=Tsubaki is just a different form of romanization. With Suzukaze and Kazehana I'm wondering if it's a text box size issue, or they think the two of them will confuse the western audience.

Given the fact the Hoshido version is all Japanese based anyway, I can't see them wanting to avoid overly Japanese names. It fits with the world design. I have a feeling text box issues are far more likely.

eh, not really

the first character in his name is literally tsu (ツ) not su (ス)

it'll be pronounced completely different too since you are dropping the t sound in the first character

it looks to me that they fear kids have no idea how to say a tsu sound ~_~

can't have the characters based on Japan having too Japanese sounding names

Draxal

eh, not really

the first character in his name is literally tsu (ツ) not su (ス)

it'll be pronounced completely different too since you are dropping the t sound in the first character

it looks to me that they fear kids have no idea how to say a tsu sound ~_~

can't have the characters based on Japan having too Japanese sounding names

Fair enough I'm not going to claim I'm an expert. I've just seen in the past where, they're pretty liberal with o and ou, z and d being used in different translations, I assumed it was something like that.

Draxal

Do we still have to spoiler it, or can we talk about the newly released elephant in the room, because I'm pretty mad about. :/

Well we talked about it and we were mad about it, and we spoiler tagged just in case. But a mod said he was wondering why we spoiler tagged it.

Fair enough I'm not going to claim I'm an expert. I've just seen in the past where, they're pretty liberal with o and ou, z and d being used in different translations, I assumed it was something like that.

o and ou are generally for style reasons

nothing big just makes it look less weird I guess

tsubaki/subaki's case just looks like they are dropping letters for no reason

Do we still have to spoiler it, or can we talk about the newly released elephant in the room, because I'm pretty mad about. :/

which elephant

there's like a bunch of things to be mad about for this game lol

which elephant

there's like a bunch of things to be mad about for this game lol
The one that's spoiler tagged, but will surely be common knowledge in the next 24 hours.

If it's truly going be the strict parameters that some places are claiming, I'm going to be extremely upset.

yami4ct

Why do they even need to change names.
It's 2015.

I would actually love a big documentary or series of posts about the localization of a game like this. I would love to learn about why changes like this are made, the technical problems involved in localization, etc. I doubt Nintendo would allow something that in depth, though. XSEED has done some cool stuff like that. I hope they continue.

Why do they even need to change names.
It's 2015.
So Cherche and Tharja were fine, but they need to chop the T of Tsubaki??? And cut Kazehana's name in half? It boggles my mind. These are really ridiculous changes.

And I still want to fume about the other thing, but I'm hoping it's just an assumption based on limited info. The game comes out soon in Japan so we'll have to wait and see but if it's true, then my respect for Nintendo has dropped considerably.

CSX

So Cherche and Tharja were fine, but they need to chop the T of Tsubaki??? And cut Kazehana's name in half? It boggles my mind. These are really ridiculous changes.

And I still want to fume about the other thing, but I'm hoping it's just an assumption based on limited info. The game comes out soon in Japan so we'll have to wait and see but if it's true, then my respect for Nintendo has dropped considerably.

That one extra character space due to "subaki" be saving localization editors' lives :p

That one extra character space due to "subaki" be saving localization editors' lives :p
Those two bother me the most. The other name changes are silly, but whatever, I can live with them, but Subaki and Hana are purely because they're worried people won't be able to easily pronounce the names, and that's just ludicrous.

I sincerely hope they change them back, because I think those are just completely awful decisions.

Aizo

Banned
All these name changes are going to give us all a headache when the OT opens. I won't know the English names, and a bunch of people won't know the Japanese names. Nobody will know whom anyone is talking about.

Ezalc

Guys I think I asked this before and nobody replied, is there any secure way to try and buy a translated FE4/5/6 cartridge? I mean I know they'd be bootlegs but still I'd like to understand what's going on.

Well, you are slightly proving their point, as I've seen multiple people misspell Kazahana as Kazehana.

(I'm not trying to come off as an ass here ;-;)
It's less that I can't pronounce it rather that I spelt it wrong. Once I am exposed to it more it wouldn't be a problem.

Still a silly change.

PK Gaming

What other thing?

Aizo

Banned
Recent news spoiler (hardly a spoiler as it's a news headline now on Siliconera)...
I saw someone comment on siliconera that perhaps the third route would have the children be playable. Unlikely that they wouldn't be playable before then, but that would be an awesome way to avoid time travel.

Recent news spoiler (hardly a spoiler as it's a news headline now on Siliconera)...
I saw someone comment on siliconera that perhaps the third route would have the children be playable. Unlikely that they wouldn't be playable before then, but that would be an awesome way to avoid time travel.

I like that idea.

But it does sound like the Future Past DLC where only then the kids are suddenly story important

and this is also a DLC route too..

Golnei

ok... another name change for western.
Aqua -> Azura
Tsubaki -> Subaki (lol)

Subaki is idiotic, but Azura is just misguided. They had to change Aqua to something that sounded better in English, but just chose poorly. A shame that they chose that, out of the vast array of water-based two-syllable names available.

It'd be hilarious if it turned out that they were advertising DLC so early, on top of the existing reservations people have about the distribution model.

The other thing.

(Check Serenes Forest for details, it's their top story.)

Is this about the children being determined by the father?
Given the way the system works,
one parent would have to have generic supports. It'll still be awkward, but what's the alternative - not having children? IS can't let Conception 3 compete with them in the lucrative 'reproductive futurism that illuminates the world RPG' market.

Busaiku

Wait, if
children are determined by fathers this time, then through each playthrough, you'll always be short 1 child. Since Jacob's only in the female Corrin game, right?

bonercop

azura sounds like what you'd name a deviantart OC recolor( do not steal)

actually, now that you mention it, yeah what the fuck. there goes that excuse.

NeonZ

The children are clearly playable in the main two routes. The articles talk about how they appear after getting a S support, and shows screens of children and parents together (the 2nd scan shows that young mage from Hoshido too, alongside his daughter).

Now, maybe the DLC route will be actually focused on them and won't tie them joining the party to S supports, rather than story progression, but they certainly aren't only in that 3rd route.

Wait, if
children are determined by fathers this time, then through each playthrough, you'll always be short 1 child. Since Jacob's only in the female Corrin game, right?

I'm pretty sure he's in both, but just has a minor role in the male Corrin campaign, while Felicia also is the default My Castle helper. Jacob has been shown in map screens alongside the male avatar.

It could be a Jacob gained from streetpass, but so far they seem to be avoiding things like random sideways class changes and extra streetpass units in the videos, so I don't think that's it. Serenes' forest also has a menu translation which shows that you can change your My Castle helper, so presumably both will be available otherwise that option would be pointless (or there'd need to be even more helpers introduced later, which seems odd).

Subaki is idiotic, but Azura is just misguided. They had to change Aqua to something that sounded better in English, but just chose poorly. A shame that they chose that, out of the vast array of water-based two-syllable names available.

It'd be hilarious if it turned out that they were advertising DLC so early, on top of the existing reservations people have about the distribution model.

Is this about the children being determined by the father?
Given the way the system works,
one parent would have to have generic supports. It'll still be awkward, but what's the alternative - not having children? IS can't let Conception 3 compete with them in the lucrative 'reproductive futurism that illuminates the world RPG' market.
The alternative was the way Awakening did it in which the mothers determined the children.

Golnei

azura sounds like what you'd name a deviantart OC recolor( do not steal)

Apparently, there are at least 10 unique Azura the Hedgehogs at this very moment. Is that more or less than the expected amount?

The alternative was the way Awakening did it in which the mothers determined the children.

I mean an alternative to not having one parent's interactions be generic - the fathers in Awakening, or the mothers in Fates. Writing unique supports for every possible combination would be far too much to ask for, but hopefully they're able to edit the generic conversations to provide a little bit more individuality than in Awakening.

Apparently, there are at least 10 unique Azura the Hedgehogs at this very moment. Is that more or less than the expected amount?

I mean an alternative to not having one parent's interactions be generic - the fathers in Awakening, or the mothers in Fates. Writing unique supports for every possible combination would be far too much to ask for, but hopefully they're able to edit the generic conversations a little bit more than in Awakening.
Oh yeah that's true then. And agreed, I understand why there's generic conversations but a bit more variety would be appreciated.

Weebos

Banned
Man, the backlash against the
return of children
has been weird for me.

I've been a huge fan of the series since FE7 came to North America and I think Awakening is the best game in the series. This by itself makes me feel like a weird alien among Fire Emblem faithful.

But I also love
the children system and time travel stories.
I feel like some bizarre outsider in every Fire Emblem discussion on the internet. Like, I get why people don't like these things, I'm just surprised at how different the enfranchised Fire Emblem community feels from me, or say the people who started with Awakening.

I don't know, Fire Emblem discussions have been a strange place for me these past 24 hours.

Top Bottom