• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

I honestly don't see any thing wrong with it other than the lack of ability of making certain name jokes.

Cordelia is "Tiamo" and Cherche is "Serge"

yeah you lose the communist jokes, but now you can try to pretend you're the announcer for Smash 4 every time you read his lines!

lol

PK Gaming

Marx to Xander? :/

I honestly don't see any thing wrong with it other than the lack of ability of making certain name jokes.

!?

!

latest

So following the pattern we should totally expect a character to be named Willow in the sequel.

Each game is 28 chapters.

They are referring to it as two separate games. Confirmed enough for me.

OH MY GOD SHE GOT ELISE KILLED IN THE FIRST CHAPTER

Golnei

Jacob = Joker.
Silas = Cyrus
Effie = Elfie
Arthur = Harold

Generally a lot more natural, but Xander was still not the best choice for Marx, it sounds completely off. If only Marcus hadn't already been used...

Also, did they get to Luna? I was interested in what they could choose to keep the connection to Severa in the English version - Angra could work, but it's sort of clunky; even if it would go with the mythic theme of Odin's name.

Draxal

Generally a lot more natural, but Xander was still not the best choice for Marx, it sounds completely off. If only Marcus hadn't already been used...

Also, did they get to Luna? I was interested in what they could choose to keep the connection to Severa in the English version - Angra could work, but it's sort of clunky; even if it would go with the mythic theme of Odin's name.

Nah, just six characters (Corrin, Felicia, Elfie, Silas, Arthur, Elise).

Jacob = Joker.
Silas = Cyrus
Effie = Elfie
Arthur = Harold
wut

Cyrus and Harold did not need name changes, it makes no sense. Also, I still HATE the name Xander for Marx. I can understand if they don't think Marx is appropriate (though that's silly) but to change it to Xander? That dude is not a Xander.

L95

Okay, I'm not sure where else to mention this, but Nintendo Dream...

FATES SPOILERS:

Children seem to be coming back? Though it does say marriage combinations are more limited but, oh boy.

Draxal

Okay, I'm not sure where else to mention this, but Nintendo Dream...

FATES SPOILERS:

Children seem to be coming back? Though it does say marriage combinations are more limited but, oh boy.

Is it just for the main character, or is multiple children?

!

Edit.

Saw that Orochi has a child so it's more than just the avatar having a child. I guess we'll get Gaius and Cordelia expies as well

Chrom

This isn't going to go over well with some, haha.

I don't mind it, personally. It wouldn't have bothered me if it didn't return though.

Golnei

Is it just for the main character, or is multiple children?

!

Edit.

Saw that Orochi has a child so it's more than just the avatar having a child. I guess we'll get Gaius and Cordelia expies as well

This really doesn't bode well for the game's plot - Awakening had to contort itself enough to
fit the gimmick in, and making time travel
a mainstay of the series seems incredibly limiting.

So are we allowed to keep the bloodline pure or not.

I'm glad FE14 is doing such a good job of keeping up the series' traditions.

Draxal

This really doesn't bode well for the game's plot - Awakening had to contort itself enough to
fit the gimmick in, and making time travel
a mainstay of the series seems incredibly limiting.

I posted the same exact response in the Fates thread in gaming, I'm thinking the story will be weak again.

Seda

Right, my main qualms with the marriage emphasis is that time travel is boring and it makes the supports boring

and also will make the official thread more of a pain to participate in

wtzgU.gif

NeonZ

I really think (FE Fates spoilers)
the kids here
might not be related to the main plot at all.

According to the magazine description, they pop up after S ranking supports, and this includes the main characters' child, Kanna. She also has an odd quote about fighting in the "outer world" with the avatar.

The only blank in the promoted main cast is that blue haired maid, there's no space for a "Marth" is Chrom's daughter from the future! deal.

Considering that quote and the lack of a 2nd gen representation among the main cast, I think it's very likely these kids are complete side content and their existence has no impact in the main plot.

the kids here

According to the magazine description, they pop up after S ranking supports, and this includes the main characters' child, Kanna. She also has an odd quote about fighting in the "outer world" with the avatar.

The only blank in the promoted main cast is that blue haired maid, there's no space for a "Marth" is Chrom's daughter from the future! deal.

Considering that quote and the lack of a 2nd gen representation among the main cast, I think it's very likely these kids are complete side content and their existence has no impact in the main plot.

so basically just like Awakening! which is fairly disappointing

NeonZ

In Awakening, due to Lucina being a main character, time travel still was important in the main story, even if the other 2nd generation kids had no screentime in the story scenes.

In IF/Fates,
it's possible that they and the time or dimension travel plot will be entirely limited to the paralogues/gaidens, with no main story presence, considering the lack of any 2nd gen characters in the advertised main cast and the mechanic for getting them.

Golnei

the kids here

According to the magazine description, they pop up after S ranking supports, and this includes the main characters' child, Kanna. She also has an odd quote about finally going to the "outer world" with the avatar.

Not including any of
the kids or explicit time travel
in the plot would be a much less offensive direction. I'd still prefer it if they left the mechanic out entirely, but keeping it as optional side stuff for future games isn't that objectionable -
it still limits the characterisation of some of the cast and guarantees cut-and-pasted supports
, but it seems popular enough - and more importantly, helps
fuel waifu wars and eugenics arguments, as well as making same-sex couples impossible for the rest of the series
; which is the real victory here. I can't wait to see
Elise give birth to Priam

Draxal

Not including any of
the kids or explicit time travel
in the plot would be a much less offensive direction. I'd still prefer it if they left the mechanic out entirely, but keeping it as optional side stuff for future games isn't that objectionable -
it still limits the characterisation of some of the cast and guarantees cut-and-pasted supports
, but it seems popular enough - and more importantly, helps
fuel waifu wars and eugenics arguments, as well as making same-sex couples impossible for the rest of the series
; which is the real victory here. I can't wait to see
Elise give birth to Priam

I'm spoilering just to be on the safe side.

My issues is having the kids be concurrent with the main cast, the kids worked perfectly in FE4, marriage was their in fe7 (karla/bartre, Eliwood-roys mom, and hell the self insert marriage was there as well with tactician/lyn heavily implied. i'm fine with marriage, I'm fine with kids, I'm not fine with time traveling shenanigans)

Draxal

On the Wii U Fire Emblem.

I found it very weird that they choose Chrom and Caeda instead of say Marth and Caeda.

But then I realized all of those characters don't have Amiibos ...

Chrom might finally get his Chrom amiibo.

Sölf

I'm spoilering just to be on the safe side.

My issues is having the kids be concurrent with the main cast, the kids worked perfectly in FE4, marriage was their in fe7 (karla/bartre, Eliwood-roys mom, and hell the self insert marriage was there as well with tactician/lyn heavily implied. i'm fine with marriage, I'm fine with kids, I'm not fine with time traveling shenanigans)

This. So much this. At least not again please.

But hey, maybe the third story DLC just takes place 20 years in the future! I would prefer that so much over "alternate reality" and "timetravel".

Xenoflare

For something completely unrelated, what is the source of your avatar? It seems so familiar to me but I can't recall what's he from.

Excuse me for my curiosity :p

On topic I don't know if I'll like
more time travel

bonercop

Maybe the children appearing won't involve time travel. It's a long stretch, but it could be the case.

it just begs the question, what's the point of these name changes? It's not like they're changing a ridiculous, made up name that doesn't work outside of japanese(reflete). Harold is perfectly normal fitting for the character in that setting. And it's actually quite clever given his gimmick could reference the real life "Harold the unfortunate".

yami4ct

Since I pretty much have given up on truly caring about a FE plot again, I'll speak purely about the mechanical level.
I love the kids. They are a fantastic mechanic that lets me customize my squad in a bunch of ways. I don't care how they get there, as long as they can somehow replicate the flexibility of that mechanic, I'm good.

Xenoflare

Maybe the children appearing won't involve time travel. It's a long stretch, but it could be the case.

it just begs the question, what's the point of these name changes? It's not like they're changing a ridiculous, made up name that doesn't work outside of japanese(reflete). Harold is perfectly normal fitting for the character in that setting. And it's actually quite clever given his gimmick could reference the real life "Harold the unfortunate".

Oh I was specifically talking about Marx/Xander.

Having Harold changed is just weird. It's a proper English name and there is already an Authur in FE no?

For something completely unrelated, what is the source of your avatar? It seems so familiar to me but I can't recall what's he from.

Excuse me for my curiosity :p

On topic I don't know if I'll like
more time travel

THE iDOLM@STER: SideM :p

It pretty much just feels like at random.

A lot of the translated names in Awakening for the Streetpass characters just felt like eh, we can change it cause we feel like it.

Oh I was specifically talking about Marx/Xander.

Having Harold changed is just weird. It's a proper English name and there is already an Authur in FE no?

Yeah, him

Gave the same name in Awakening too.

Top Bottom