• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Draxal

Man, the backlash against the
return of children
has been weird for me.

I've been a huge fan of the series since FE7 came to North America and I think Awakening is the best game in the series. This by itself makes me feel like a weird alien among Fire Emblem faithful.

But I also love
the children system and time travel stories.
I feel like some bizarre outsider in every Fire Emblem discussion on the internet. Like, I get why people don't like these things, I'm just surprised at how different the enfranchised Fire Emblem community feels from me, or say the people who started with Awakening.

I don't know, Fire Emblem discussions have been a strange place for me these past 24 hours.

I'm also, an older player (who started with 4 right before 6 was released) I think Awakening is reallly really good, but I think its just needs a little bit more polish. I thought the Valm part of the game was shoehorned in and rushed, and they clearly needed to give bonuses for pair up a revamp.

I do think the
time travel
is where I really diverge with you. I just think its silly.

acting like veterans are the only ones that dislike the child mechanic returning is incredibly disingenuous

there are plenty of people who either started with Awakening or have it as their favorite game anyway that don't like it returning regardless, especially considering how you can still have the marriage system without attaching kids to it

edit: also this

I don't mind them returning.

I just won't like it if it uses the kinda half ass implementation they had in Awakening in the overall plot which is probably what will happen again.

Weebos

Banned
I do think the
time travel
is where I really diverge with you. I just think its silly.

Yeah, a lot of people feel that way, and not just in Fire Emblem.

acting like veterans are the only ones that dislike the child mechanic returning is incredibly disingenuous

there are plenty of people who either started with Awakening or have it as their favorite game anyway that don't like it returning regardless, especially considering how you can still have the marriage system without attaching kids to it

Of course veterans aren't the only people upset with the revelation, in my experience it has been mostly veterans though, at least they have been the most vocal.

I don't mind them returning.

I just won't like it if it uses the kinda half ass implementation they had in Awakening in the overall plot which is probably what will happen again.

NeonZ

The issue is that the children mechanic was one of the biggest points of unit customization in Awakening, and they really didn't announce anything to replace it at all. That kind of customization doesn't add much to a closed campaign like Nohr, but if Hoshido didn't have it, it'd be pretty much just a crippled Awakening in that sense.

Edit: Personally, I hope the main story doesn't acknowledge them at all, and they're basically left as extra content for paralogues and My Castle, with no Lucina equivalent suddenly getting introduced halfway through to represent them in the main plot. Awakening at least had zombies dropping from sky portals alongside "Marth" fairly early. It seems like any such twist here would feel even more out of place. Kanna's quote about fighting in the "outer/external world" (or even "other world") also implies that multiple worlds or Outrealms would be involved with the children's presence. That could completely derail the main story if they attempt to make the child plot part of it.

Josephl64

I don't mind kids, afterall they were really well done in FE4. That being said, as long as they're not a detriment to the story I say they're fine.

jzbluz

I wanted platonic endings between characters back, and the children mechanic most likely means romantic S ranks only. At least the children seem to be completely separate from the main story (hopefully), and not implemented half-assed into the story like Awakening.

Btw, didn't we agreed not to bring spoilers about if/Fates to the community thread?

I wanted platonic endings between characters back, and the children mechanic most likely means romantic S ranks only. At least the children seem to be completely separate from the main story (hopefully), and not implemented half-assed into the story like Awakening.

Btw, didn't we agreed not to bring spoilers about if/Fates to the community thread?
Hopefully we'll stick more to this when the game gets an import thread.

PK Gaming

Gonna be honest, i'm pretty apathetic to
children being back.
The biggest concern I have with it is that it'll more or less guarantee that
S-rank's between same sex characters won't happen

:<

Golnei

The biggest concern I have with it is that it'll more or less guarantee that
S-rank's between same sex characters won't happen

Given the magical contrivances used to
shoehorn the children into the main setting
of both games, nothing explicitly
prevents same-sex S-ranks from working like any other
- especially if, as in Awakening, there are a significant
number of possible pairings in Fates which don't produce children
. The
child system
provides an excuse, but it's really a side-effect of their reluctance to ever explicitly confirm anything other than
heterosexuality in text
, an entirely separate problem which they hopefully can see the benefit of resolving.

NeonZ

There are some images from Dengeki Nintendo,
the information about S supports and children is all part of the My Castle section of the magazine. It's also said that the "My Castle" is in a separate world from the Nohr/Hoshido conflict. So, it seems more and more likely that the children are irrelevant storywise this time.

It does make me wonder about Kanna's quote regarding the "Outer World" though. Are they somehow going to be born and go through accelerated aging in the My Castle? That'd be kind of creepy.

I guess it's also possible that they're picked up from random Outrealms though, which could lead to some varied scenarios for their paralogues.

I don't like that in Awakening, you don't really know who can pair up without a guide

But you do? The support list shows all possible supports as soon as they join your team. Even before that you have some silhouettes so you know if someone has a very limited support selection.

L95

I don't like that in Awakening, you don't really know who can pair up without a guide

Every game since FE7 has had a menu where you can see a units possible supports(though unrecruited units are greyed out until you recruit them). (in games that had supports, anyway)

the information about S supports and children is all part of the My Castle section of the magazine. It's also said that the "My Castle" is in a separate world from the Nohr/Hoshido conflict. So, it seems more and more likely that the children are irrelevant storywise this time.

It does make me wonder about Kanna's quote regarding the "Outer World" though. Are they somehow going to be born and go through accelerated aging in the My Castle? That'd be kind of creepy.

I guess it's also possible that they're picked up from random Outrealms though, which could lead to some varied scenarios for their paralogues.

Interesting. Does the fact that "My Castle" is completely separate means you can get all the supports from the characters you can't recruit based off the path you are on?

Would make the whole split path thing just a little more bearable if I can get the ones I want from the other side and still have them act as a character

Shengar

I guess the route of children unit implementation like what we had in FE4 is too difficult to employ son IS resort to time and dimensional travel bullcrap again.

Anyway, the total chapter is crazy, 50 chapters combiner without the shared chapter and third route.

PK Gaming

CH7NGcPUwAAPIeg.png

Blood is thicker than water, but water runs deeper.

Xenoflare

As I said before, I cannot give up Camilla's Sawashiro Miyuki Wyvern Magic Knight getup.
dat body

Also from the treehouse gamplay stream I can conclude Leo is the best
brofu, trying to cover our dumb protagonist's ass[/SPOILER

I'm just kinda paranoid everyone except Elise are prepromotes, while I understand that not all prepromos are bad but hopefully that doesn''t mean we won't be using them as much instead it's just the game's way of compensating the lack of Free Battles for Nohr.

Tommy DJ

Of course veterans aren't the only people upset with the revelation, in my experience it has been mostly veterans though, at least they have been the most vocal.

Some will whine about anything but children as a mechanic is sort of bad. I don't think it really impacts the game a whole lot and it didn't, only Lucina is important and the other children are basically irrelevant. But its still extremely poorly implemented in Awakening.

The one implemented in FE4 is kinda alright if only because of how the game is structured. Awakening's implementation is terrible. Ignoring the poor story justification (like it literally doesn't go anywhere except for Lucina), the S rank dependency, stat inheritance, and huge differences in map difficulty mean that some children are just better than others assuming a conventional playthrough.

The inheritance mechanic doesn't work a whole lot due to the random nature of Fire Emblem and how Fire Emblem works in general. The thing with Fire Emblem is that the best units are often those with really good base stats + growths or those with really good base stats + average/bad growths. With how Awakening implemented children, they're optional growth units that are terrible if the parent isn't swole enough to pass down some really nice bases...meaning children like Morgan, Kjelle, and Yarne will generally be inherently better than a lot of other children.

If I were really, really cynical, I'd guess the whole purpose of the children is to sell grinding + "post-game" DLC as all of it is pretty much geared towards min-maxing skills and combinations. With FE:IF, I think its hard to argue that this is the case since it does sort of seem shoehorned in again and we have the split version elephant in the room which seems to be a wholly financial decision.

Busaiku

Aren't Xander and Camilla blood siblings.
EDIT - Oh, that's what the caption's about.
EDIT 2 - Oh, that's Corrin and Leo as kids.

bonercop

something i just thought of: maybe the wyvern knight Crimson on that showed up in that trailer of my castle is just somebody's kid, like Joker or Gunther? that would explain why a nohr-looking character shows up in the hoshido side.

Hmm, seems like it's own section to me.

Support convos are in that section too and we know those aren't exclusive to My Castle.

I'm definitely looking at Dengeki.

NeonZ

Hmm, seems like it's own section to me.

The title header is different from the beginning of the other bigger sections. The last one like it is My Castle's.

Support convos are in that section too and we know those aren't exclusive to My Castle.

I know that there's a support menu in the pre-battle screen like in Awakening, but wouldn't they take place in the My Castle? I don't think you'll see support conversations in the middle of battles.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Poor pics from the TCG Livestream

The only way to play the TCG
xtZdRKe.png

mdlySZa.png

s1OA5wX.png

aPXhXK3.png

pdCuqkP.png

qXJxvNw.png

They were feverishly unwrapping lots of packs to get seiyuu-signed cards to give away
IBBp3H9.png
They also showed the first card of the if expansion with just the official Corrin art

just saying but some years from now, I would totally buy at whatever price an artbook for the TCG
cause it would be so much cheaper than buying booster boxes

Draxal

Shun has been preparing it, I believe. Future discussion about the game should go there.

I imagine it'll go up on Wednesday? Up to him unless something else happens.

Should go up tomorrow (if based in da Americas), day before but It's JST so obviously earlier than a standard north/south american release.

Top Bottom