• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

r/fireemblem really was kind of a hot mess during FEif's initial rollout. Stuff like this is why I stopped posting there for a while.

The poll may be biased due to the low turnout, but
Ike
really was a great character. They were the winner...weren't they?
We don't know the total amount of votes cast, just the ones for the top 10, and considering how many characters the series has, it might of been a much larger sample. Regardless, the correct person won IMO. :)

MSMrRound

AHHHHHHHH YOU GUYS. AHHHHHHH.

CJuwvARUEAASaub.jpg

Just drew this around 1:30AM. I don't think I'm going to sleep anytime soon.

Draxal

How many boxes did you get (I just see both Kamuis) in this and the earlier box?

It's kinda weird that I pulled the same SR as you did from the first box(Marth (not signed), Gaius, Cordelia, and Owain).

And Grats!

alvis.exe

Lucky!

I got the regular version of that one. Love the art so much <3

I ended up missing like... 11 cards after opening up the entire box. Kind of considered grabbing another box but I think I'll just buy what I need online. Really annoyed that I didn't get the Cordelia, Lucina, or Tharja SR cards considering those seem to be going for the most online :/

Lunar15

Ike's great. I love him, but I also don't really know why I love him. His dialogue isn't particularly noteworthy and he's kinda dry in RD.

That said, I just think he's really cool? I dunno, can't describe it.

Draxal

Ike's great. I love him, but I also don't really know why I love him. His dialogue isn't particularly noteworthy and he's kinda dry in RD.

Honestly, most fire emblem characters are utterly boring (that's why people like Owain from Awakening stand out), he just looks like Guts from Berzerk/Arnold Conan instead of the waify lords we've had in the past. I mean I always like the bad ass 2 handed sword handed types over the kid like lords in the past (hence the Ogma is my favorite archetype).

I still think the Fujoshi fanbase pushed him to to the top on this one though.

Lucky!

I got the regular version of that one. Love the art so much <3

I ended up missing like... 11 cards after opening up the entire box. Kind of considered grabbing another box but I think I'll just buy what I need online. Really annoyed that I didn't get the Cordelia, Lucina, or Tharja SR cards considering those seem to be going for the most online :/

Think you can only get 4 srs per box.

Ike stands out from a lot of the other protagonists. He's not of noble birth, but gains recognition for his actions. He's able to persuade others despite not always being very tactful. His character arc involves getting stronger and
avenging his father,
which sounds generic, but it's well-handled. He's just this cool, no-nonsense guy who you genuinely care about, and he's got some great lines to boot. But most importantly, I think he feels like he's closer to the center of the story in his games, particularly in Path of Radiance.

... I guess being an incredibly OP unit helps, too. But I'm glad that he won. He'd probably be even more popular if his games actually sold well, since I'm pretty sure they didn't.

alvis.exe

Think you can only get 4 srs per box.

Yeah I know. But considering Tharja, Lucina, and Cordelia SR's are going for like 1500-2000 yen online vs like 500-800 for Camus, Ogma, Gaius, and Navarre... it would have been much easier on my wallet in the long run if I had pulled even just one of those three instead haha.

Well at least Marth is going for like 1000+ I think so it could have been worse.

Ike is good. I think PoR is the only game that I have characters I like because they are good characters and not because I like their design/they are strong/they have good convos

MSMrRound

How many boxes did you get

I brought two boxes.

Apparently my colleagues seem to have the same hit rate as me e.g one signed card out of two boxes.

Total count...is about 5 signed cards out of 10 boxes in all.

My boss might be bringing in more boxes sometime later this week though...so I'll probably go for single pack draws etc.

Weird bit of stuff: most of us found our signed cards on the right side of the box, usually the 4 packs that's closer to the bottom. E.g my Marth SR+ card was sixth pack on the right. Hmm...worth experimenting on?

Draxal

I brought two boxes.

Apparently my colleagues seem to have the same hit rate as me e.g one signed card out of two boxes.

Total count...is about 5 signed cards out of 10 boxes in all.

My boss might be bringing in more boxes sometime later this week though...so I'll probably go for single pack draws etc.

Weird bit of stuff: most of us found our signed cards on the right side of the box, usually the 4 packs that's closer to the bottom. E.g my Marth SR+ card was sixth pack on the right. Hmm...worth experimenting on?

I'm pretty sure one of the blogs has mentioned that one side had all the sr's as well. I'm trying to remember where I saw that.

MSMrRound

I'm pretty sure one of the blogs has mentioned that one side had all the sr's as well. I'm trying to remember where I saw that.

Probably articles mentioning the pre-release livestream for Cipher?

Think they mentioned during the show, they got most of the rare cards from the left side instead.

L95

I just got my cards, and I opened the left side first, that was the side with my SRs.

No Camus tho ;-;

Draxal

I just got my cards, and I opened the left side first, that was the side with my SRs.

No Camus tho ;-;

I guess we should post our r,R+, SR, SR+ and signed pulls.

R: Sumia, Olivia, Nowi, Lissa, Lon'Qu, Inigo, Cherche, F Robin, Kain, Able, Merric
R+: Est,
SR: Marth, Owain, Corderlia, Gaius
SR+:
Signed

That was my box.

L95

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with this R+/SR/SR+ stuff lol

Bottom left of the card, its after the card number.

(R: Olivia, F Robin, Nowi, Lissa, Lon'qu, Sumia, Linda, Inigo, Cherche, Cain, Abel)
--
R+: Minerva
SR: Chrom, Lucina, Ogma (omg this card is so epic), Tharja (very large breasts...)
SR+:None
Signed:None

Oh, and I got the Male Kamui promotional card.

(I also have the exclusive Marth card that came with the Fates LE, it's a very pretty card...)

I'm considering buying another booster box....

Draxal

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with this R+/SR/SR+ stuff lol

Rares are foil cards. (12 in a 16 pack box)
Super Rares are foil cards that are rarer than the others. (4 in a 16 pack box)

R+ are gold stamped Rare cards (like the card MsMrRound posted earlier without the signature).
SR+ are gold stamped Super Rare cards

Draxal

Bottom left of the card, its after the card number.

(R: Olivia, F Robin, Nowi, Lissa, Lon'qu, Sumia, Linda, Inigo, Cherche, Cain, Abel)
--
R+: Minerva
SR: Chrom, Lucina, Ogma (omg this card is so epic), Tharja (very large breasts...)
SR+:None
Signed:None

Oh, and I got the Male Kamui promotional card.

(I also have the exclusive Marth card that came with the Fates LE, it's a very pretty card...)

I'm considering buying another booster box....

You also got the promo Lucina card as well from that!

I'm really kicking myself in the but for not preordering the lmiited edition back in the day looking at the scalped prices as well.

I'd probably just buy singles instead of another box at this point (not going to buy any really ... just wanted the dlc).

Mr. RPG

There really needs to be more soundtracks and merchandise of the classic Fire Emblem games.

All they seem to focus on anymore is Awakening. :(

Golnei

Bearded Ikes, for some reason.

I just want a FE6/7 remaster or remake.

I'd rather 2 or 4 receive remakes first; with the GBA, DS and GC/Wii games being released via Virtual Console or its replacement - for the GBA games, there's not much they could do to enhance them graphically short of ditching sprites altogether, and that's not really an appealing prospect for anything but 11/12. Though there's potential for notable improvement with remastered music...

And while they've stated that they didn't want to focus on remakes to the detriment of new games, the series' growing prominence might be enough to justify an outsourced update; or even just an original translation for the games with no official one.

There really needs to be more soundtracks and merchandise of the classic Fire Emblem games.

All they seem to focus on anymore is Awakening. :(

At least the anniversary concert should cover most of the series. Merchandising would be a little more difficult to justify outside of the card game - it's probably a much safer bet to make $150 statues of characters from recent titles with proven appeal rather than decades-old bombs.

Draxal

I'd like to see the Tellius saga using the 3ds engine (but using the narrative style of those games instead of the 3ds ones).

Although, FE6/7 would work so well in a multigeneration game and you even have the tactician in the game already (Marc).

At least the anniversary concert should cover most of the series. Merchandising would be a little more difficult to justify outside of the card game - it's probably a much safer bet to make $150 statues of characters from recent titles with proven appeal rather than decades-old bombs.

The shipping aspects of the 3ds games makes potent merchandising tools for otaku.

HES BEAUTIFUL

I think the most compelling thing about Ike is that he comes from humble origins but ends up a legendary hero by virtue of his achievements. Also, it was admirable that he accepted and respected people that would ordinarily be rejected from human society. Also, the fact he's super practical and kind of a smart mouth led to some really funny moments. I think it also helped that he was surrounded by such a great crew in PoR for him to interact with.

Anyway, after seeing the list, I would have to say that my personal top 10 lords and main characters would be quite a bit different, but it has Lyn and Hector on it so I can't complain. It's just that I like Eliwood a lot and prefer Eirika to Ephraim, that's all...

I'm pretty pleased to see Marth at number 2. The Archanea saga is like comfort food to me; its gameplay and lore is simple but satisfying even if most of the characters are bare bones. Adaptations like the OVA and the FE1 manga are nothing really special, but I still enjoy them a lot. A theme that tends to pop up in FE1/3 adaptations concerning Marth's character is the conflict that exists between his role as a leader and a soldier and his natural gentleness, and I just really enjoy that concept. Also, versions like the OVA and the DS remakes shows that he also seems to have a silly side, or at least a sense of humour.

Jinjo

As someone who hasn't been keeping up with FE news lately, what are these cards everyone is talking about (and do they have a special purpose?)? They look so cool. Also, where can I get them?

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding the digital version of Fates.

I get that I choose a side, and have to stick with that. But what happens if I eventually want to play the other side? If it was physical, I would just buy both versions, but will the eShop even allow me to download the same game twice?

Anyone know how this is handled on eshop?

Draxal

As someone who hasn't been keeping up with FE news lately, what are these cards everyone is talking about (and do they have a special purpose?)? They look so cool. Also, where can I get them?

The cards are from the card game that released around the same that If/Fates was released in Japan. You can get them from AmiAmi or Amazon.

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding the digital version of Fates.

I get that I choose a side, and have to stick with that. But what happens if I eventually want to play the other side? If it was physical, I would just buy both versions, but will the eShop even allow me to download the same game twice?

Anyone know how this is handled on eshop?

There's option to buy the other side and the third parth in the main menu.

Lunar15

On Ike: Yeah, Soren and Titania were fun foils to each other and I think they helped Ike stand out more. And yes, the Berserk parallels are pretty obvious: You have a mercenary crew lead by a tough guy with a big sword, a brooding, effeminate man who is a tactical genius, and a strong-willed female knight.

It's funny, it's true that the Awakening cast is a little more fleshed out and vibrant than past casts, but there's something in the slightly subdued tone of the past games that makes my brain fill in their stories a little more. That's not necessarily good writing, though. You have characters in PoR, like say, Nephenee, who I love a lot but aren't particularly interesting character wise, nor are their support convos particularly noteworthy. And I definitely don't want to shit on Awakening's cast. Owain is definitely in my top ten.

Also, I really liked Chrom. I kind of expected him to be lame, but I liked his character overall. I think he's my third favorite lord, behind Ike and Hector.

Bearded Ikes, for some reason.

That one in the top right is basically just Isaac from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Let's be real though, if he ever got a beard, he'd go full Hector:

latest

Draxal

I'm just wondering how many multiverses they're going to go.

Right now it's

Shadow Dragon = Red
Awakening = Blue
Hoshido = White
Nohr = Black.

What would Elibe/Tellius/Magvel (this is probably going to be last on the list)/Jugdral would be? And will Gaiden be thrown under Achanea/Shadow Dragon?

Top Bottom