• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Alucrid

Banned
I'm trying to preorder a copy of If, but I can't seem to find information about the different versions. I know that Birthright is more like Awakenings in terms of it's combat system, which I like, but does that lock you into where you start? I guess slight starting story spoilers:
As in, if I go with Birthright I can still choose to stay with the Hoshino (assuming that's where you start) or I can betray them and side with the Nohr?
This two copy thing seems dumb...

GSR

I'm trying to preorder a copy of If, but I can't seem to find information about the different versions. I know that Birthright is more like Awakenings in terms of it's combat system, which I like, but does that lock you into where you start? I guess slight starting story spoilers:
As in, if I go with Birthright I can still choose to stay with the Hoshino (assuming that's where you start) or I can betray them and side with the Nohr?
This two copy thing seems dumb...

If you buy the physical version, you are locked into whichever version you buy.

If you buy the digital version, you can choose once you reach the decision point, but after that you are locked into whatever you chose, even if you start a new game or erase your data.

In any event, you can buy the other two campaigns as DLC and select them freely after that.

Alucrid

Banned
If you buy the physical version, you are locked into whichever version you buy.

If you buy the digital version, you can choose once you reach the decision point, but after that you are locked into whatever you chose, even if you start a new game or erase your data.

In any event, you can buy the other two campaigns as DLC and select them freely after that.

Ah okay, thanks. I think I was listening to someone with the digital version which is why I thought everyone had that choice.

GSR

Ah okay, thanks. I think I was listening to someone with the digital version which is why I thought everyone had that choice.

There was also the special edition in Japan which came with both standard campaigns and a free download of the third campaign, but I don't think there's been any equivalent announced for that in NA/Europe. So maybe they had that?

NeonZ

I'm trying to preorder a copy of If, but I can't seem to find information about the different versions. I know that Birthright is more like Awakenings in terms of it's combat system, which I like, but does that lock you into where you start?

It's not the combat system that changes, it's the progression system. In Birthright/Byakuya, you can go to endless optional battles like in Awakening. In Conquest/Anya, they're limited to preset ones, and you also don't gain experience from battling against other players' castles online. The grinding DLC does still work with Conquest though. Conquest also has maps with more complex design and objectives than Birthright/Byakuya, which is mostly "rout the enemies" maps like Awakening.

Draxal

New Sleeves for Oct 30.

Shamelessly stolen from SF.

20150907005315d6f.jpg

such a weird mix of female characters

love interests?
plot important characters?

though at least this explains where Erikia went on the first sleeve

oh cipher stream is 12th... surprised it's on Saturday not Friday lol
Stolen from Reddit.

I love this pic.

stop stealing everything.... j/k :p
besides, it's a scan from staff book (can't remember its name) sold during special comiket earlier this year, so I guess it ain't allowed here(?)
might be wrong though if that rule is only for magazine scans....

L95

Yeah, it's a scan from the staff book, so maybe remove that? I have the book myself and there's some neat art in it.

Draxal

oh cipher stream is 12th... surprised it's on Saturday not Friday lol

stop stealing everything.... j/k :p
besides, it's a scan from staff book (can't remember its name) sold during special comiket earlier this year, so I guess it ain't allowed here(?)
might be wrong though if that rule is only for magazine scans....

Good point. Beleted.

rofl, the images now show up on this shitty bus wifi but it didn't on 4G or my home internet

That seems even less likely - a mobile title would probably be mainly targeted for domestic audiences, and STEAM did even worse in Japan than the rest of the world. It'd be more plausible for a the inevitable mobile spinoff to use either recycled assets from the games and art from Cipher; or a unified chibi style like the various FF mobile games.

let's be real here: STEAM's artstyle is terrible for any market

Golnei

I could see it being used for a mobile title if IS ever crosses that bridge.

That seems even less likely - a mobile title would probably be mainly targeted for domestic audiences, and STEAM did even worse in Japan than the rest of the world. It'd be more plausible for a the inevitable mobile spinoff to use either recycled assets from the games and art from Cipher; or a unified chibi style like the various FF mobile games.

a card based game (with multiple versions of art) will probably be more likely for a FE mobile game

would be funny/sadistic if they kept the once kill, lost forever rule since that would drive people mad if a 5 star unit dies lol

Golnei

let's be real here: STEAM's artstyle is terrible for any market

It really was. Sad to think that the game would have done so much better - even internationally - if the characters were all replaced with generic lolis.

would be funny/sadistic if they kept the once kill, lost forever rule since that would drive people mad if a 5 star unit dies lol

Though that would have a negative effect on player retention. Maybe they'd only be lost forever if you don't use microtransactions to revive them immediately afterwards?

a card based game (with multiple versions of art) will probably be more likely for a FE mobile game

a card game would be interesting...inb4 it has more microtransactions than any other Nintendo mobile game

Draxal

Ayup, I think the current TCG art assets and any other art assets like a theoretical Code Name Steam style Fire Emblem art would be used in this game.

NeonZ

It really was. Sad to think that the game would have done so much better - even internationally - if the characters were all replaced with generic lolis.

Codename Steam had a loli though,
Dorothy
. People just don't care about that art style, and the pre-path slow enemy turn also likely didn't help.

Golnei

Codename Steam had a loli though,
Dorothy
. People just don't care about that art style, and the pre-path slow enemy turn also likely didn't help.

A change in artstyle would be necessary to make them generic lolis. Even Dorothy wasn't able to reach her true potential due to the confines of the game's art direction - and regardless, she was still only one character in a sea of unlikeable caricatures.

Man, inventory management in the first Fire Emblem is a nightmare lol.

I'm still digging the game because I love the Fire Emblem formula so much (on chapter 18 now); it's cool to see how well they stuck the landing even with the very first game, but shuffling stuff around is a real pain in this one.

L95

Man, inventory management in the first Fire Emblem is a nightmare lol.

Yes, holy shit, I played FE1 for the first time a few months ago, and that 'trade' system is... just... Ugh. You can't actually trade items lmao, and can only give one at a time.

Yes, holy shit, I played FE1 for the first time a few months ago, and that 'trade' system is... just... Ugh. You can't actually trade items lmao, and can only give one at a time.

Well, you can at least give more than one item at a time (although it's slightly clunky) but yeah, it's rough. Way better than Gaiden at least; that game's maps are a total disaster zone.

L95

Well, you can at least give more than one item at a time (although it's slightly clunky) but yeah, it's rough. Way better than Gaiden at least; that game's maps are a total disaster zone.

I think the reason I was thinking one at a time was half the time I wanted to trade was when someone only had one slot in their inventory.

...Hey, at least Gaiden actually lets you exchange items between units. Though that kinda had to, as a unit can only carry one thing anyway,

Draxal

what, I am very surprised at Joker over Camilla

edit: and also both of Odin's quotes being from guys, though this may just be picking out quotes selectively so whatever

and haha all 4 Nohrian royals in top 6

Nintendo dream had a couple of polls (I think I Don't read moon language I just wanted the lucina card) in their latest mag with Elise and Leon doing very well as well.

Q14 Favorite Class?

1 – True Bow (451

:D :D :D :D

Looking at the results ... kids are here to stay ... Which I hate. And goddamn alot of people played on normal.

Nintendo dream had a couple of polls (I think I Don't read moon language I just wanted the lucina card) in their latest mag with Elise and Leon doing very well as well.

:D :D :D :D

Looking at the results ... kids are here to stay ... Which I hate.

which issue of nintendo dream?

just because:

Takumi-493, Leon-475 (18 points)
Marx-396, Ryoma-195 (201 points)
Camilla-285, Hinoka-<176 (dunno if results past #10 are displayed) (109+ points)
Elise-246, Sakura-<176 (see Hinoka) (70+ points)

Draxal

just because:

Takumi-493, Leon-475 (18 points)
Marx-396, Ryoma-195 (201 points)
Camilla-285, Hinoka-<176 (dunno if results past #10 are displayed) (109+ points)
Elise-246, Sakura-<176 (see Hinoka) (70+ points)

You weren't kidding about Japan going super casual btw, Everything in that poll supports that.

Top Bottom