• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

what's the point of talking about a 9/10 remake

we should all look forward to 4/5 remakes instead of course

(btw, fe4's 20th anniversary is coming up next year!)

Draxal

In Awakening and IF? Yeah, I'm that way. But in POR/RD? I wouldn't want an avatar and I think throwing in some child based fan service could be pretty funny.

Mainly because adding an Avatar changes the story in a potentially lame way while adding children doesn't change anything except for allowing a potential prologue.

Also, why the hell would you change Soren? His banter is pretty great and he's one of the more memorable characters.

I mean, I don't think avatarizing really changes anything, Robin pretty much has a set personality as does Kamui, you really don't RP them at all, you only get to choose a video game partner for them and that's it.

Reason I choose Soren is that male Robin was pretty much the Soren of that game (Chrom's/Ike's best buddy for life and son of the big bad of that game like Kamui was) ... and making light of the Ike/Soren shippers, as I was never serious in the first place.

what's the point of talking about a 9/10 remake

we should all look forward to 4/5 remakes instead of course

(btw, fe4's 20th anniversary is coming up next year!)

I don't want a 4/5 remake without Kaga on the staff, I think most of the fe9/10 people are still around so I don't mind that remake as much.

NeonZ

Soren will be Robinized or Krisized in the remake.

If they were going to add an avatar, it'd be a separate new character, not Soren or anyone else converted into an avatar. I don't think it'd change the story much either. You'd get some extra chapters focused on the avatar, but the story of any later games, especially the Tellius ones, is already too big to be changed for the avatar like that. The avatar would probably get some generic lines alongside other members and many extra base events and supports, but I don't think we'd see the main story suddenly spinning around him.

Regarding the 2nd gen, it's kind of funny. A child system seemed like an impossible idea for remakes even after Awakening, but with how Fates handled things, now it seems like they could easily add children to any past games.

Draxal

If they were going to add an avatar, it'd be a separate new character, not Soren or anyone else converted into an avatar. I don't think it'd change the story much either. You'd get some extra chapters focused on the avatar, but the story of any later games, especially the Tellius ones, is already too big to be changed for the avatar like that. The avatar would probably get some generic lines alongside other members and many extra base events and supports, but I don't think we'd see the main story suddenly spinning around him.

Regarding the 2nd gen, it's kind of funny. A child system seemed like an impossible idea for remakes even after Awakening, but with how Fates handled things, now it seems like they could easily add children to any past games.

I was just continuing Golnei's joke.

Golnei

I can't believe it took me a whole year to make the connection, assuming it was intentional. If it was, Sakurai really is a rabid fan...

tumblr_nwhnh7quWN1s7ktlno2_1280.jpg

ike_and_palutena__by_sonicromance15-d8azcls.jpg

the gender split for the voters lol:

Otome Emblem is upon us. I assume Takumi has to get a statuette like Tharja's now.

Golnei

Ugh, it had to be Takumi that gets the most attention. Any of the other male siblings would of been preferable.

I actually think he's one of the better-designed ones, especially in terms of the outfit. Just going by aesthetics, I'd put him above Leon and roughly equal with Marx - Ryouma's faceguard and hair kind of put me off. A long braid like Titania's would look so much better.

Draxal

I actually think he's one of the better-designed ones, especially in terms of the outfit. Just going by aesthetics, I'd put him above Leon and roughly equal with Marx - Ryouma's faceguard and hair kind of put me off. A long braid like Titania's would look so much better.

I think Leon and Marx's steal each others votes.

Anyway, going to keep on voting Harold/Oboro.

I don't mind Takumi's design (not really my thing, but it's nice) it's more his personality that irks me. This may change in the English version, but I'm not a fan of what I've read regarding him so far. (I do understand why he's so popular though, it's just a trope I'm generally not attracted to.)

Currently I'm of the following opinion...
Marx > Ryouma >>> Leon > Takumi

I am impressed that all the brothers are consistently placing in the top ten of these polls compared to the sisters. I do hope that means we will see more merch focusing on the male characters to match what the females currently receive.

Aesthetically, Fates probably has the largest number of attractive male characters, at least in my opinion, (probably only matched by Radiant Dawn) so it makes sense to see such a large shift towards male character popularity. I think one reason they've been so successful in rebuilding the series is this shift in focus.

Draxal

I don't mind Takumi's design (not really my thing, but it's nice) it's more his personality that irks me. This may change in the English version, but I'm not a fan of what I've read regarding him so far. (I do understand why he's so popular though, it's just a trope I'm generally not attracted to.)

Currently I'm of the following opinion...
Marx > Ryouma >>> Leon > Takumi

I am impressed that all the brothers are consistently placing in the top ten of these polls compared to the sisters. I do hope that means we will see more merch focusing on the male characters to match what the females currently receive.

Aesthetically, Fates probably has the largest number of attractive male characters, at least in my opinion, (probably only matched by Radiant Dawn) so now is good time to see such a large shift towards male character popularity. I think one reason they've been so successful in rebuilding the series is this shift in focus.

The avatar shift is the big thing imho, fire emblem always had a decent sized female player base, but I think it's exploded now with the self insert character. I mean look at that gender ratio of the Nintendo Dream poll.

yay another FE IF popularity poll, this time from Nintendo Dream

the gender split for the voters lol:

lol, I should get this issue

pleased that best child got voted best child here lol

Ophelia's the best child.

Golnei

That makes sense, I hadn't really looked into his characterisation since I didn't want to completely spoil the game before it came out in English; but I can imagine a few fairly unfortunate tropes he could conceivably exhibit from the little I've seen.

The avatar shift is the big thing imho, fire emblem always had a decent sized female player base, but I think it's exploded now with the self insert character. I mean look at that gender ratio of the Nintendo Dream poll.

Would that have started in earnest with FE12; or was it the specific nature of Awakening and its supports/child system that sent the fanbase spiraling into otome hell?

Draxal

That makes sense, I hadn't really looked into his characterisation since I didn't want to completely spoil the game before it came out in English; but I can imagine a few fairly unfortunate tropes he could conceivably fall into from the little I've seen.

Would that have started in earnest with FE12; or was it the specific nature of Awakening and its supports/child system that sent the fanbase spiraling into otome hell?

FE12 just couldn't get rid of the stench of FE11 and the graphics were still pretty ugly. The supports are beyond huge as well, iirc Kris couldn't get married in that game unlike in Awakening/Fates. I actually liked Shirow's art in Fe11/12, but I think Kozaki is also a reason as well, even though some people may hate hi....art director's armor direction.

Also, I think IS (and Atlus in this case) as become very aware of their fanbase as we actually now have a fujoshi character and a genuine american weeb insert.

Golnei

Also, I think IS (and Atlus in this case) as become very aware of their fanbase as we actually now have a fujoshi character and a genuine american weeb insert.

In the first case, I hope 'becoming aware of their fanbase' leads to them reconsidering their stance on same-sex relationships in future games - Eponine and Soleil's gimmicks, as well as the less-than-nuanced portrayal of Zero and Syalla; seem to suggest that while they went far enough to allow same-sex relationships in some form, they still view them as a quirky gimmick or weird niche fanservice; on the same level as being able to marry your little sister-but-not-really-a-sister. Though because of that, while the support, avatar and child systems seem like guarantees for all future entries in the series; I could easily see them dropping actual same-sex relationships; even if they'll make sure to keep pandering to fujoshi with deliberately placed subtext which won't be realised.

In the first case, I hope 'becoming aware of their fanbase' leads to them reconsidering their stance on same-sex relationships in future games - Eponine and Soleil's gimmicks, as well as the less-than-nuanced portrayal of Zero and Syalla; seem to suggest that while they went far enough to allow same-sex relationships in some form, they still view them as a quirky gimmick or weird niche fanservice; on the same level as being able to marry your little sister-but-not-really-a-sister. Though because of that, while the support, avatar and child systems seem like guarantees for all future entries in the series; I could easily see them dropping actual same-sex relationships; even if they'll make sure to keep pandering to fujoshi with deliberately placed subtext which won't be realised.
The same sex relationships definitely do need a lot of refining. The amount of hoop jumping and sacrifices you have to make just to initiate them is pretty ridiculous. I do think though that they'll continue to improve upon this feature as opposed to scaling it back in the next entry. NoA making that press release about it indicates to me that they are aware that this is going to be something that is closely watched. And Zero seems to be proving to be a popular character so that's a good sign as well. They just need to broke away from the unfortunate tropes and stereotypes they're still dragging around, but I imagine even with Fates, the North American version will partial rectify this. (Hopefully with actual gameplay alterations as well, because locking out the child characters for same sex relationships while providing no alternate content to compensate is dumb.)

no please vote for Flannel or Deere or Shinonome or Odin
I gave Shinonome and Odin some votes.

I'm spreading my votes between Fuuga, Asura, Shinonome, Odin, Benoit, Harold, Saizou, Zero, Ryouma and Marx.

lol no

little siblings>older siblings across the board
Big bros for life. The sisters are on a case by case basis.

Xander/Marx is easily the best male sibling.
Yep. Ryouma is a pretty close second though for me. I really love both their designs.

Big bros for life. The sisters are on a case by case basis.

Marx acts so fucking stupid in the game's plot though

also the jerk kills Elise so he's never going anywhere on my list

edit: Golnei, you should probably be more careful with where you place your sarcasm in other threads

Not really a fan of the idea of remaking FE4 or FE5. Both are pretty unique games that I think would lose something really important in the process of being modernized, and I don't want a MU inserted into either game. I really just hope 15 and beyond continue to be original works, especially if they keep going with 2-3 games per continent.

Gah, the wait for Fates is killing me so badly. I'm surprised I've remained as spoiler free as I have, don't want to wait another 3-4 months at the minimum.

hmmmmm, sounds interesting

I'm guessing this will be the 25th anniversary book for the series?

hopefully it'll be as good as the 20th anniversary artbook~

don't think this is a full artbook though, considering they put interviews etc in it. and it seems to heavily focus on awakening & fates

Yay, that's my Christmas present sorted.

Just need a Birthday present now (early November).

Anyway, I'm nearing the end of the Hoshido campaign now. Huh, I noticed a pretty interesting throwback, although I was reading in a hurry and I dunno if I read it properly.

One of the later chapters takes place in the Black Dragon Fort. The characters mention how the fort is built from the corpse of the Black Dragon King or something and hint that the Black Dragons were also Earth Dragons.

For those unaware, the Black Dragons appeared in Tellius (Deghinsea and Kurthnaga) and the Earth Dragons in Archanea (Medeus etc.).

The characters even said that the Black Dragons ruled over the other dragons, just like in Tellius.

That really made me wonder how Fates is connected to the other games...

hey guys should we tell Aveyn Knight how Sakura did compared to every other royal in the Nintendo Dream poll

LOL. With the gender split, I'm not really surprised. Plus, I seem to recall Nintendo Dream is kind of lower tier.

I'll wait and see how the official results are before anything else.

I've totally forgotten to vote recently.

LOL. With the gender split, I'm not really surprised. Plus, I seem to recall Nintendo Dream is kind of lower tier.

I'll wait and see how the official results are before anything else.

I've totally forgotten to vote recently.

Why would a heavy female sample cause Sakura's position to change that much? Although I find it funny how Camilla and Odin slid a bunch compared to the Famitsu poll
lol at some guys claiming Odin would be a hit with the ladies ayyy

Why would a heavy female sample cause Sakura's position to change that much? Although I find it funny how Camilla and Odin slid a bunch compared to the Famitsu poll
lol at some guys claiming Odin would be a hit with the ladies ayyy

girls want a well dressed man it seems!

So, since Treehouse has historically made gameplay changes to Fire Emblem games, do you expect them to do so this time, and if so, what do you think will be changed?

NeonZ

So, since Treehouse has historically made gameplay changes to Fire Emblem games, do you expect them to do so this time, and if so, what do you think will be changed?

I think we could see a lot of tweaks to the stats in the IK route, since it seems like IS didn't put any thought into balancing that. I kind of hope Owain, Inigo and Severa get some stat boosts in Nohr too, but that seems unlikely.

NeonZ

Really? Which games have they worked on?

Did they do Path of Radiance?

They pretty much localized all FE games aside from Shadow Dragon and Awakening, which were by 8-4.

Path of Radiance's tweaks were rather negative though - basically removing the highest difficulty. Radiant Dawn gave some boosts to the Dawn Brigade's starting levels and stats, also added those personal weapons that they get in the 3rd part, alongside the new base conversations where they get them. It did remove all extra dialogue that you got by playing on hard and lunatic (normal and hard) though.

It's extremely unlikely, but it'd be nice if they could add full functionality to the Amiibo characters. Outside of skinship, they basically just need more text data to be as fully featured as the main cast. I guess IS didn't finish them in order to avoid overshadowing the new characters, but I don't think NoA would have the same interest to promote the new cast, since there isn't FE character merchandising outside of Japan, aside from the Amiibo themselves.

Probably just something small, like permanently enabling Phoenix Mode.

That was a terrible joke, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Bye bye face touching.

...I guess this is technically also a gameplay change...

They pretty much localized all FE games aside from Shadow Dragon and Awakening, which were by 8-4.

Path of Radiance's tweaks were rather negative though - basically removing the highest difficulty. Radiant Dawn gave some boosts to the Dawn Brigade's starting levels and stats, also added those personal weapons that they get in the 3rd part, alongside the new base conversations where they get them.
oh wait, Shadow Dragon was also done by 8-4? no wonder that's the game with the least amount of changes after Awakening

nerf bows cause we can't be having archer emblem here

of course remove all the stuff people are up in arms over cause good lord this historically incest friendly, never marketed to kids in the first place is supposed to be wholesome and family friendly now

Reset

I hope they remove it ... it's pretty disturbing actually, and i'm one of the bigger fans of awakening/fates here.

If they remove it, it'll be easier for me to recommend the game to other people if it's any good haha

But if they don't, no one will know I bought this game. :| Anyway I'll be ignoring the feature unless it speeds up support ranks or something.

L95

Head rubbing will probably be gutted. When it comes to boingy bits or asses in swimsuits who knows

The thing is, there's barely anything to it in the first place <.<

I don't care for that kinda bs, had like 1/2 an expectation, and I was still like... "that's it?"

I was hoping to be able to throw cupcakes at them, at least...

Josephl64

I kind of like it despite how pointless it was...never really used it much, but at least I imported it in case I ever do feel like using it.

To me it's such a pointless thing that I hardly even care about it. I am far more interested in what the map design, mission objectives and gameplay elements etc are like and if they improved from Awakening. That doesn't mean I want them to remove it though.

GSR

To me it's such a pointless thing that I hardly even care about it. I am far more interested in what the map design, mission objectives and gameplay elements etc are like and if they improved from Awakening. That doesn't mean I want them to remove it though.

They did at least on Nohr, though I admit I only got a bit into Nohr before I put the game down. Maybe I just don't have it in me for Nohr/Hard/Classic these days.

The facerubbing thing is still just skeevy in my book, though. At least it's totally optional.

L95

I'd say map design and mission objectives is quite a bit better than Awakening, if that reassures you. (TBH, Awakening isn't a very high bar, though. But Fates brought a bunch of little things that's kinda hard to describe without being really specific and I'm lazy. Dragon Vein does a decent bit of interesting things though.)

nerf bows cause we can't be having archer emblem here

of course remove all the stuff people are up in arms over cause good lord this historically incest friendly, never marketed to kids in the first place is supposed to be wholesome and family friendly now
both parts of this post are
, besides bow units will always have a ceiling of mid-high tier unless they actually have real 1-range
The thing is, there's barely anything to it in the first place <.<

I don't care for that kinda bs, had like 1/2 an expectation, and I was still like... "that's it?"

I was hoping to be able to throw cupcakes at them, at least...

???

There's basically no point to Fates without facerubbing. The improvements the Nohr route seems to have over Awakening are nice enough, but if I can't pet my imouto; the game is pointless. At least they'll probably still let you marry Elise in the English version - taking that out (or saddling it with the 'Companions' tag) yet leaving Kamui and Zero's blasphemous barren union in the game would erase the last remnants of my faith on NoA.

That was terrible, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Top Bottom