• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Maxios

I finally beat Awakening for the first time last night. I was playing on Hard with permadeath enabled, and that final battle was just a giant bloodbath. I didn't have a lot of units left to begin with, and by the time I finished the battle I was left with only four characters.

Draxal

Yeah, that is what I hear. Anybody have numbers for PoR and RD? The only one I could find for PoR was 400k.

Japanese numbers only.

20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 498.000
28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 146.026 / 246.719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 100.357 / 156.413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 73.337 / 171.924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 147.704 / 252.309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 147.045 / 250.592
19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 262.399 / 469.485
26/06/15 [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom - 353.201 / NEW

Note that Fates/If was first week only. PoR/RD did bad, but they didn't do awful awful (series was on a downward trend), it's just awakening and if sold incredibly well. If was buoyed by people buying two copies of the game as well (either the collector's edition or two normal copies).

Reset

I remember reading that PoR was the best selling Fire Emblem game in the West before Awakening was released.
Was that a lie? :|

Lunar15

I guess PoR did a bit better than imagined, but for two games, RD+POR didn't do very well overall.

In terms of popularity, it's usually 7>9>10>8>11 for everything pre-awakening.

Draxal

I guess PoR did a bit better than imagined, but for two games, RD+POR didn't do very well overall.

In terms of popularity, it's usually 7>9>10>8>11 for everything pre-awakening.

Honestly I see it as 7 = 9 >>>>>>> 10 >8 >>>>>>>>>> 11. There's alot love for both 7 and 9 on gaf.

Lunar15

You guys need to look beyond GAF.

For example, on r/fireemblem, it's 7=10>9>8>>>11.

I was more going by what gets talked about, not everyone's favorites. I just feel like I hear more about PoR than I do about RD. The people who love RD love RD and are super loud about it, moreso than the PoR guys.

Either way, it's all pointless. We're in awakening's realm now, for better or worse.

it also gives you a greater appreciation for FE12
lol
I was more going by what gets talked about, not everyone's favorites. I just feel like I hear more about PoR than I do about RD. The people who love RD love RD and are super loud about it, moreso than the PoR guys.

Either way, it's all pointless. We're in awakening's realm now, for better or worse.
As more games like Awakening/Fates get released, they'll continue splitting support from each other far more than they'll peel off support from the older games, so eventually the older ones will get out of their shadow.

That is, unless the fanbase immediately abandons all but the newest game, like certain parts of the Smash community, which might actually be happening here...

Josephl64

I don't know if there's a FE I actually dislike, I do enjoy some way more than others though

For the record I do like PoR...

Caeda Emblem(original and remake) is tied with FE4 for my fave FE...I have odd tastes

PK Gaming

Hahahaha. Before Awakening came out, I was basically the ultimate RD stan. I was obsessed with that game. Anytime anyone tried to shortchange or somehow imply it was step down from PoR (though I know realize it was in certain areas) I came out swinging.

Ahhh.... good times.

Hahahaha. Before Awakening came out, I was basically the ultimate RD stan. I was obsessed with that game. Anytime anyone tried to shortchange or somehow imply it was step down from PoR (though I know realize it was in certain areas) I came out swinging.

Ahhh.... good times.

What happened after Awakening came out? Don't tell me you became an Awakening stan :p

pretty sure you had some real tough competition for "ultimate RD stan" too

edit: 420th post in this thread!

Draxal

I don't know if there's a FE I actually dislike, I do enjoy some way more than others though

For the record I do like PoR...

Caeda Emblem(original and remake) is tied with FE4 for my fave FE...I have odd tastes

Which remake.
I think there's a couple of brave souls who played the original here

Honestly, my fav game is still 4 least favorite is 11. One game I wish I could do a redo of is PoR, as I no longer have my copy of the game.

Josephl64

Which remake.
I think there's a couple of brave souls who played the original here

Honestly, my fav game is still 4 least favorite is 11. One game I wish I could do a redo of is PoR, as I no longer have my copy of the game.

I was thinking the DS one but...

I do prefer the original. I know...but Shiida wrecking without a weapon triangle was great. Alas, it's not like she needed any help. Also thought how the priests leveled was improved later on, but it was fun seeing how broken it was when you can max somebody in 1-2 stages.

PK Gaming

What happened after Awakening came out? Don't tell me you became an Awakening stan :p

pretty sure you had some real tough competition for "ultimate RD stan" too

edit: 420th post in this thread!

Not so much a stan, but Awakening is definitely my current favorite Fire Emblem in the franchise.

RD will always have a special place in my heart. Chilling on sereneforest and participating in weekly discussion threads about character viability and what not was something I really enjoyed doing.

Lunar15

lol

As more games like Awakening/Fates get released, they'll continue splitting support from each other far more than they'll peel off support from the older games, so eventually the older ones will get out of their shadow.

That is, unless the fanbase immediately abandons all but the newest game, like certain parts of the Smash community, which might actually be happening here...

Gotta be honest, I'm not really interested in Fates. We'll see what happens come next year, I guess.

Fun fact: I played 7 when it came out and enjoyed it, but it never really grabbed me. I skipped 8 and didn't end up playing 9 until two years after it came out. I wasn't really interested in it at the time.

On the plus side, I played RD right after finishing PoR, and I think that makes RD a much better game. I enjoy it more than most of my friends.

Draxal

New sleeves are up on Ami Ami.

CGM-9052.jpg

CGM-9050.jpg

CGM-9049.jpg

CGM-9051.jpg

Also, the strategy guide is also up for the second set.

Golnei

Mist is looking appropriately uguu. I hope Cipher increases the visibility of the Tellius characters enough for a FE9 remake to not be an entirely impossible proposition - even if that would mean certain aspects would have to be modernised; like the armour design, lack of interaction minigames and DLC maps, absence of an avatar and child system, and the curious omission of Ike and Mist's S-rank-equivalent support.

I'm not entirely sure how her legs are supposed to attach to the rest of her body. Can she use them like rotors to achieve flight?

Draxal

Mist is looking appropriately uguu. I hope Cipher increases the visibility of the Tellius characters enough for a FE9 remake to not be an entirely impossible proposition - even if that would mean certain aspects would have to be modernised; like the armour design, lack of interaction minigames and DLC maps, absence of an avatar and child system, and the curious omission of Ike and Mist's S-rank-equivalent support.

Soren will be Robinized or Krisized in the remake.

Lunar15

It'd be kind of funny if they did a remake of 9/10 and added an extra prologue where you could have offspring of certain pairs. I think that be an interesting way to light up interest in the remake.

I would strongly prefer if they did not add an avatar system. Everything else I'm fine with.

I doubt they'd ever do a remake though.

Draxal

It'd be kind of funny if they did a remake of 9/10 and added an extra prologue where you could have offspring of certain pairs. I think that be an interesting way to light up interest in the remake.

I would strongly prefer if they did not add an avatar system. Everything else I'm fine with.

I doubt they'd ever do a remake though.

I'm the other way around, I don't mind the avatar system, but not a fan of the child system.

Golnei

Soren will be Robinized or Krisized in the remake.

Losing his personality would be a shame, but at least it'd give him the chance of having true support options. Allowing a female Soren to S-support with Ike would also be a good way to compromise between fans' stubborn insistence on creating a romantic relationship between the characters in the original game; and the obvious heterosexuality of their canonical counterparts. It'd also let them give Priam a cameo via time travel. The original child characters would also be a great way to expand the game and make it fresh for both new and old players - I can't wait to see what Heather's kid would look like.

Lunar15

I'm the other way around, I don't mind the avatar system, but not a fan of the child system.

In Awakening and IF? Yeah, I'm that way. But in POR/RD? I wouldn't want an avatar and I think throwing in some child based fan service could be pretty funny.

Mainly because adding an Avatar changes the story in a potentially lame way while adding children doesn't change anything except for allowing a potential prologue.

Also, why the hell would you change Soren? His banter is pretty great and he's one of the more memorable characters.

Top Bottom