• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
YrZqDPn.jpg

Almost wept for joy. This been a long time coming. No five star pull since Minerva

1upsuper

So I've been, uh, avoiding spending any SP whatsoever the entire time I've been playing this game across several accounts. Are you intended to unlock every skill at some point, or will you need to pick some to ignore? I tend to let skill points accrue in every game I play because I'm indecisive.

Mupod

So I've been, uh, avoiding spending any SP whatsoever the entire time I've been playing this game across several accounts. Are you intended to unlock every skill at some point, or will you need to pick some to ignore? I tend to let skill points accrue in every game I play because I'm indecisive.

wut. Most of my maxed out characters have like 400-500 extra lying around and it keeps going up. Even Lyn who needs an insane amount of SP for Galeforce.

Firemind

The dilemma I have with Olivia is whether I should merge excess ones with my current *4 Olivia for immediate value or wait for merging *5 for the long, long run. I imagine merging 5*s is a real cost and by then Olivia isn't going to cut it anymore.

Anastasis

How do I make sure some of my units show up side by side more often than not in the beginning of a map?

I was looking at my IVs and I think it would be good for my -spd Takumi to stay close to Eirika for her speed boost.

Thanks!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've never run into a situation where I didn't eventually have enough SP to buy every skill available for a character.

Usually I have a bunch left over by the time that character hits 40.

Jawmuncher

I need help with chapter 9. The one with all the heavies. I think it's Chparer 9 mission 2. My team can't seem to handles heavies at all. What is their weakness?

Cerium

I need help with chapter 9. The one with all the heavies. I think it's Chparer 9 mission 2. My team can't seem to handles heavies at all. What is their weakness?

Magic damage, as in mages or dragons.

There are also specific units with weapons good against armor; Florina and Hana come to mind.

I got tired of that level so I used a Light's Blessing to finish it.

I assume the feburary quests will be replaced with similar ones for march, at minimum (queue more complaints about how they're stretching the game out with quests and not real content whatever that means).

Hey if those quests include 20+ orbs or lots of feathers then I'm ok with it. Hopefully we get a new paralouge too.

Jawmuncher

Magic damage, as in mages or dragons.

There are also specific units with weapons good against armor; Florina and Hana come to mind.

I got tired of that level so I used a Light's Blessing to finish it.

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up. Might end up just doing that if things don't work out.

Moonlight

Banned
I assume the feburary quests will be replaced with similar ones for march, at minimum (queue more complaints about how they're stretching the game out with quests and not real content whatever that means).
Since you're still hung up on this I'll try to break this down for you.

- Quests rely on tacking on additional conditions to existing content. Piggybacking new things you want people to do to stay engaged in your game by reusing old content and going 'ok, do this but with one hand tied behind your back' is a) obvious recycling and b) does not make people familiar with the genre confident about your planning.
- They're exhaustible, and the resources they give you aren't well utilized by the game and therefore for anything less than orbs and feathers, you're not really incentivized to complete them at all.

Add all the quests you want. No one is mad that there's quests. Quests are a great supplementary method of extending your game. If your game lacks hooks and a consistent stream of new and different content to play than your output is failing by the standards of every other successful gacha game. No one is judging FEH by any unreasonable standard for the genre and market it competes in.

I don't think it needs to be repeated so often that in the game's current state, there is no reason to go back and do quests, do the training stratum, do almost anything other than Arena, because the game has such poor feedback for what you do. Wow, I got 20 whole great badges from that quest. Guess I'll stow them away with the hundreds of other ones I have and will never use because the ratio of badges to feathers in promotions are so bizarrely skewed. I'm sure you could go 'well just play it to kill time and have fun' and sure, I guess, but these games are not supposed to be time-wasters you don't really invest in. Or rather, a game like that is not going to make money or keep a large group of people invested (and putting money into) over a long period of time.

If March comes and we get a brand new slew of quests asking us to complete story missions except now you've got to use x and y with z with very little accompanying it than yes, you can expect people to complain about a lack of real content because there's still a massive shortage of real content. And yes, their complaints are totally valid.

It's like arguing that massive droughts of content in MMOs are okay because, hey, there's all this game already, why don't you just level an alt instead of complaining there's nothing to do once you've maxed everything out on your first character.

Totakeke

So if we assume all skills are transferable then what's left of characters are their stats and the distribution of stats, their unit types, and their colors.

I've compiled the stats of characters without weapon stats and stats they gain from skills on this spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a6_OSGOFlA8mi8nXFn182SmzZCzvyXAk-oVEcx8DheI/edit#gid=0

So you can see that for the most part characters have pretty defined total stats. Archers go from 147-149, Armors go from 168-169, Dagger users go from 147-148, Mages go from 147-149, Fliers go from 156-168, and even a large group of units such as Melee only go from 155-158. Main exceptions are dragons and some calvary units like Jagen and Gunter. I wouldn't put any stock into the stats of healers because I couldn't tell whether the max stats were based on the weaker or stronger weapon.

So as long they don't break the underlying formula behind this, more interesting characters would be characters with unique skills and also the ones with atypical stat distributions for their unit types. Like Draug, Gwen, and Sheena all have 30 base attack, compared to 36 of Hector and 40 of Effie. The last two are definitely far more useful than the former three.

Dee Dee

Like Draug, Gwen, and Sheena all have 30 base attack...

So, here's the thing. I played Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and I remember Draug being a Mirage there. And now I read this here and think, hm, who's Draug, have I seen him yet in Fire Emblem Heroes... and I google him and find out, that, once again, German localisation just went too freaking far.

Anyway, they named him Edrag in German, because it's "Garde" backwards, which is a passable translation of "Guard". I get it. Haha. Funny. Oh boy.

Why they named Robin "Daraen", I will never understand though. Every freaking time the announcer in Smash calls him that I cringe.

Why do I always pick to play games in my own language - makes it very hard to talk about them in others.

Someone suggested I use my lvl 15 Olivia with her dance in Arena, because her level is low you are slotted someone with a lower level party as well.

My party now wrecks

Gotchaye

So if we assume all skills are transferable then what's left of characters are their stats and the distribution of stats, their unit types, and their colors.

I've compiled the stats of characters without weapon stats and stats they gain from skills on this spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a6_OSGOFlA8mi8nXFn182SmzZCzvyXAk-oVEcx8DheI/edit#gid=0

So you can see that for the most part characters have pretty defined total stats. Archers go from 147-149, Armors go from 168-169, Dagger users go from 147-148, Mages go from 147-149, Fliers go from 156-168, and even a large group of units such as Melee only go from 155-158. Main exceptions are dragons and some calvary units like Jagen and Gunter. I wouldn't put any stock into the stats of healers because I couldn't tell whether the max stats were based on the weaker or stronger weapon.

So as long they don't break the underlying formula behind this, more interesting characters would be characters with unique skills and also the ones with atypical stat distributions for their unit types. Like Draug, Gwen, and Sheena all have 30 base attack, compared to 36 of Hector and 40 of Effie. The last two are definitely far more useful than the former three.

Hinata should be 151, I think.
Also it's "cavalry".

But yeah, my guess is that you can probably merge any or perhaps just same-color characters, and you can learn any skill the merged hero knows with some restrictions, such as that you can't learn a new weapon type (plausibly weapons would just be totally excluded) and probably you can't learn Dance. Only being able to merge characters of the same class or same color and class seems too restrictive. So for massive whales it's all about stat distributions, and other people are mostly interested in heroes who develop good skills at 4* to merge into heroes with good 5* weapons.

Heals on non-healers would also be problematic. Rehabilitate as just an extra ability a hero has would be pretty bad. This is the sort of thing that makes me think the obvious thing to do is restrict inheritance to same-class heroes, but that really hurts Armored and Dragon heroes. And if it's just same-class without any color restriction you probably need to do something to prevent people from taking off-color breaker skills, because of course lancebreaker is least useful on a green.

Totakeke

Hinata should be 151, I think.
Also it's "cavalry".

Heh, fixed the spelling, thanks. Hinata was eyebrow raising for me when I first calculated him at 151, but I think gamepress is wrong at 47/44/24/39/21. Gamewith has different stats at 47/47/27/39/21. The latter definitely seem far more reasonable.

Gotchaye

Heh, fixed the spelling, thanks. Hinata was eyebrow raising for me when I first calculated him at 151, but I think gamepress is wrong at 47/44/24/39/21. Gamewith has different stats at 47/47/27/39/21. The latter definitely seem far more reasonable.

That would certainly make more sense and put him in line with Bartre for final stats.

If March comes and we get a brand new slew of quests asking us to complete story missions except now you've got to use x and y with z with very little accompanying it than yes, you can expect people to complain about a lack of real content because there's still a massive shortage of real content. And yes, their complaints are totally valid.

It's like arguing that massive droughts of content in MMOs are okay because, hey, there's all this game already, why don't you just level an alt instead of complaining there's nothing to do once you've maxed everything out on your first character.

The game isn't designed to have you repeating content, (beyond quest challenges) and the levels are never going to be more than a short 10 minute distraction before you're done with them for the week. It's just how the game has been designed. If that's unacceptable, there are plenty of other gachas and this one will die out, if not, it isn't a problem.

1upsuper

The dark truth that nobody wants to admit: 3DS supports are by and large much better than the old supports (PoR/RD base conversations aside).

I have tried to figure out how much actually changed between the Japanese original and US localization but given the amount of hyperbole surrounding that whole thing it's really hard to actually pin down how many conversations were drastically changed. My guess is not a tremendous amount were actually drastically changed.

Cerium

The dark truth that nobody wants to admit: 3DS supports are by and large much better than the old supports (PoR/RD base conversations aside).
Awakening had amazing supports but Fates was hamstrung by the shitty central narrative.

In Awakening the child parent dynamics were really brilliant and sometimes deep if you cared to look, what with the blighted future and the parents whose alternate selves had already failed their kids. The emotional baggage there and the way the game explored it in the support conversations might be my favorite part of Awakening. It's a twist on the time travel genre that I've not quite seen anywhere else. Fates has none of that.

PK Gaming

Awakening had amazing supports but Fates was hamstrung by the shitty central narrative.

In Awakening the child parent dynamics were really brilliant and sometimes deep if you cared to look, what with the blighted future and the parents whose alternate selves had already failed their kids. The emotional baggage there and the way the game explored it in the support conversations might be my favorite part of Awakening. It's a twist on the time travel genre that I've not quite seen anywhere else. Fates has none of that.

The child supports make up such a small portion of the overall supports and are largely boilerplate, so I don't really consider them to be the highlight of either game. (Though a lot of them are godlike in Awakening). The 1st gen supports in both Awakening and Fates are amazing, though.

EDIT:

I have tried to figure out how much actually changed between the Japanese original and US localization but given the amount of hyperbole surrounding that whole thing it's really hard to actually pin down how many conversations were drastically changed. My guess is not a tremendous amount were actually drastically changed.

Here's the pastebin of the original supports

Quite a bit of them were changed. Nearly all for the better

Moonlight

Banned
Awakening and Fates have basically the same amount of good supports. Every FE has the same amount of good supports which is to say, a minority of them. You only see more filler or whatever in both of those games because both Awakening and Fates have massive support libraries and at that amount of text, not all of them will be winners.

The game isn't designed to have you repeating content, (beyond quest challenges) and the levels are never going to be more than a short 10 minute distraction before you're done with them for the week. It's just how the game has been designed. If that's unacceptable, there are plenty of other gachas and this one will die out, if not, it isn't a problem.
If the game isn't designed around repeating content yet having you do it constantly to keep people interested, the game is going to massively contract. I'm not saying this to be negative, this is a simple reality of the market.

I don't understand your argument anyways, lol. If they keep going in an unsustainable direction it'll die, so just keep doing it because maybe it won't and the problems don't exist anymore? What? The game can easily support repeatable, rewarding content. Tacking on quests to do questlines you can finish inside of a single stamina bar for rewards you barely care about are not that.

PK Gaming

Thank you for this, and I'm glad to hear you say the changes were positive. I get a bit nervous when localization teams take liberties with translations, but sometimes you do get improvements.

Off the top of my head, the royals are collectively better (Takumi has more personality in the NA version, Camilla is 50000x better, Elise is less childish/obnoxious, etc), Soleil is less of a bad joke, Male Corrin is less of a creep (see his JP support with Forrest), Azura is less of a plank of wood, etc. Treehouse tweaked a ton, and nearly all for the better imo. Fates has a bad story, but the game genuinely has a good script in its supports and personality to match.

SOMEBODY didn't read Miriel's supports.

Miriel's supports are amazing though?!

Quixzlizx

Just got a 4358 from a perfect run.

I basically have my +atk Ephraim off to the side most of the time because I'm afraid he'll get doubled and destroyed by anything other than swords, but boy does he obliterate red melee units. I just one-hit Young Tiki with him.

1upsuper

Off the top of my head, the royals are collectively better (Takumi has more personality in the NA version, Camilla is 50000x better, Elise is less childish/obnoxious, etc), Soleil is less of a bad joke,
Male Corrin is less of a creep (see his JP support with Forrest)
, Azura is less of a plank of wood, etc. Treehouse tweaked a ton, and nearly all for the better imo. Fates has a bad story, but the game genuinely has a good script in its supports and personality to match.

Miriel's supports are amazing though?!

Wow, that was...really something. Yikes. Also, for some reason, lots of the links in that JPN support pastebin are password protected.

Jims

Done with Arena for the week. Had 3800 (rank ~50k) and decided to do another round.

This group is really susceptible to Takumi, naturally, causing me to forfeit at least one unit every time he appears. Luckily, got 7 straight Advanced opponents without him and pulled off a no-death run. Subaki baits/kills all the Red lords first and Seliph/Camilla cleans up.

I really want to find a defensive Blue, though. The Takumi thing is a problem. I have Female Corrin, but she isn't great for that role of getting rid of Red lords (like Lucina). I think Effie could be ideal, although her low movement speed might hinder her ability to bait the red units first. Would love to summon an Effie next round. My only other 4* Blues are Catria, Robin, and Donnell. Maybe Sharena is the answer?

Quixzlizx

Done with Arena for the week. Had 3800 (rank ~50k) and decided to do another round.

This group is really susceptible to Takumi, naturally, causing me to forfeit at least one unit every time he appears. Luckily, got 7 straight Advanced opponents without him and pulled off a no-death run. Subaki baits/kills all the Red lords first and Seliph/Camilla cleans up.

I really want to find a defensive Blue, though. The Takumi thing is a problem. I have Female Corrin, but she isn't great for that role of getting rid of Red lords (like Lucina). I think Effie could be ideal, although her low movement speed might hinder her ability to bait the red units first. Would love to summon an Effie next round. My only other 4* Blues are Catria, Robin, and Donnell. Maybe Sharena is the answer?

Robin sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

ggx2ac

Is it possible to use say Olivia and Azura to constantly refresh each other in a turn?

You can't as someone else mentioned.

I was going to say, "even if you could, what's the point? They'd finish moving after dancing."

Then I realised what could occur.

3 dancers + Takumi.

Takumi moves forward and kills someone. Dancer dances to him and he moves forward and kills another. Then the dancer that hasn't moved moves to the first one and uses Dance. The first dancer moves again and refreshes Takumi and he kills another person. Then the third dancer moves to the second dancer, refresh, second dancer moves to first dancer, refresh, first dancer moves to Takumi, refresh, Takumi kills last unit.

Stage cleared in one turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom