• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

neoanarch

I switched to Greasemonkey years ago and I've been happy ever since. All my scripts are working fine.

Greasemonkey was the worst addon for hangups, memory leaks and generally breaking firefox for a while. I switched to Scriptish and most of my issues with Firefox stopped. But its been a bit since an update.

Fixed this for you. Aurora is best Firefox. Nightly is a little too unstable even for my liking. Nightly is only for the manliest men.

I use Aurora on one of my machines, its great but the frequent updates can get irritating.

Firefox 20.0.1 is now available. It fixes an issue some people were having with an unresponsive/dysfunctional URL bar while using roaming mode in Windows Server.

Firefox’s Australis theme may have disastrous consquences for users who customize the browser

The new Australis theme has been looming around the heads of the Firefox community for a very long time. Most of what we - that is the public - know about the theme is that it will modify how Firefox looks as it will replace the current default theme when it is released. What many Firefox users may not be aware of though is that Australis is more than just a theme replacement as it will affect the way we customize the browser.

It has not been made clear up until now what this really means and while nothing has been set to stone yet, according to Mozilla, some of the proposed changes will affect many users of the browser. Here is a list of (proposed) changes to customization options as discussed on Bugzilla:

• The Add-ons toolbar (former status bar) will be removed. Mozilla plans to move all add-on icons formerly displayed in the bar in the main navigational toolbar instead (just like Chrome does).
  • Custom toolbars will be removed. Icons displayed in those toolbars will be moved to the main navigational toolbar as well.
  • The back, forward, reload and stop buttons as well as the url bar will be placed at the beginning of the main toolbar. They can no longer be moved to another location.
  • Items can no longer be placed in the menu toolbar. All items that have been placed there - by add-ons for instance - will be moved to the navigational toolbar instead.
  • Small icons will no longer be supported.
  • Third party toolbars such as Ask, AVG, Babylon or Norton will remain untouched.
  • The tabstrip's customization area is limited to one area on the side of the tabs closest to the menu button. All items displayed in the tabstrip will be displayed there.

firefox-australis-660x422.jpg

MrBig

Why are those UI/UX changes being made? Why copy the limited customization, visual style, and functionality almost directly from chrome? Those are absolutely not things that firefox needs done to it.

Rootbeer

Banned
xmarks does not work with anything newer than 21.0 beta so be warned. they've been working on a version to work with 22 and 23 (both in testing phase) for weeks

Link

The Autumn Wind
Speaking of themes, since the update to 20, themes don't work when I'm in private mode. Anyone else having this issue?

Tenumi

Banned
I've been using Firefox since it was called Firebird. I tried Chrome for a long while but it never was very responsive on any of the computers I ran it on. Unfortunately, that UI to me brings back bad memories of those times with Chrome.

Gaf is looking like ass and I can't post from Waterfox right now. I'm on Chrome for the moment.

I deleted the cache and clean up the history, I'm drawing blanks now.

Edit: Nevermind it was the Adblock that someone enable itself again in the site.

Pooya

yikes, if I wanted chrome, I'd use chrome. mozilla is so dumb >_< all those things are why I use FF over chrome, fully customizable UI. specially addon bar, if that's out, I'm out :| they're even ripping off the ugly chrome tabs

if they want to increase the page space by removing it, they can just auto hide it, I have it like that with an script right now, works great.

Madtown_

yikes, if I wanted chrome, I'd use chrome. mozilla is so dumb >_< all those things are why I use FF over chrome, fully customizable UI. specially addon bar, if that's out, I'm out :| they're even ripping off the ugly chrome tabs

if they want to increase the page space by removing it, they can just auto hide it, I have it like that with an script right now, works great.

I've never really understood this mindset with Firefox. Chrome is chrome, can't be customized whatsover. But Firefox, there's themes that significantly change the UI, extensions that significantly change the browser, and none of that is being taken out. Just the defaults will be different, which 90% of people probably prefer or don't care about (I'm assuming they've done their research)

Pooya

because using some more addons to bring back things they removed, would make things slower, possibly breaking with each new version and not working like they should and a lot of headaches ?

ksdixon

With the Australis UI changes, will we still be allowed to have a Bookmarks Toolbar? That toolbar currently has small icons on it, and is unaffected by the 'use small icons' tickbox in the customize toolbars menu.

I plan to keep most addon-related buttons there like I do currently.

ffafw.png

Izick

With the Australis UI changes, will we still be allowed to have a Bookmarks Toolbar? That toolbar currently has small icons on it, and is unaffected by the 'use small icons' tickbox in the customize toolbars menu.

I plan to keep most addon-related buttons there like I do currently.

ffafw.png

Since the URL bar doesn't seem to be changing, I wouldn't expect them to remove it or even change it. Of course nobody knows for sure, but it just doesn't seem like something they'd remove or change since that part of the UI isn't really all that different between now and what Australis looks like.

Joni

Awful new download manager. Close your window, downloads stop without warning. At least in the old version you had a seperate pane so you'd see that your downloads aren't finished.

Awful new download manager. Close your window, downloads stop without warning. At least in the old version you had a seperate pane so you'd see that your downloads aren't finished.

Then just restore the old download manager by typing about:config in the address bar and setting browser.download.useToolkitUI to true.

I switched back from Chrome to FF last week and just gone back to Chrome. FF's inability to actually load pages for no apparent reason being the main reason. I can open a new tab and either get a white screen and nothing in the URL or just endless loading.

Chrome has it's problems, but at least it works as a browser.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wish they would just introduce an addon panel, similar to the way that the download panel works.

You'd click on it, and all your little addon icons would be there. I think that would make the whole thing less cluttered and be a good compromise.

Izick

I wonder when (or if) Australis is going to hit the Linux builds? I miss back when I had Windows I could try the cutting-edge stuff in Firefox/Chrome, but now since I use Linux (cause I'm to po' for Winodws after my first HDD crashed) I'm always days, weeks, or months behind.

Madtown_

I wonder when (or if) Australis is going to hit the Linux builds? I miss back when I had Windows I could try the cutting-edge stuff in Firefox/Chrome, but now since I use Linux (cause I'm to po' for Winodws after my first HDD crashed) I'm always days, weeks, or months behind.
There is a nightly ppa for Firefox, and I've installed the ux branch before but I'm not sure of any ppa

Blackhead

Redarse
Ouch, the only good change is removing that awful add-on toolbar.

No more small icons? That giant back button in normal size icon view is atrocious! Sounds like they just want to be like Chrome and that's not a path I'd like to see it go for UI design and such.

I use the addon bar for everything (I hide the navigation bar and stick the address field in the addon bar). I don't have a problem with Mozilla improving the Firefox UI but breaking the user's ability to customize that UI is a dick move. I've kept faith with Firefox all these years because it allows the most personalized experience. I wouldn't trade that for a shiny new default theme.

From Mozilla:
Maker Party 2013 will be the second annual distributed party Mozilla has thrown focused on Web education and digital literacy. Last year, Mozilla's Summer Code Party included more than 700 community-led events, with more than 10,000 participants across 80 countries. And just like last year, you can join from anywhere — school, an internet cafe or even your own kitchen table.

Mozillians are part of a growing global community of makers, and this year we're proud to be expanding our reach and joining even more people around the world who feel the same way.

That's why this year's party isn't just about learning to code, it's about celebrating the huge range of learning, making and creating the Web makes possible.

And this year, as part of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation's Summer of Connected Learning, we're joined by dynamic start-ups, non-profits, institutions, and tech companies, including Black Girls Code, California Academcy of Sciences, DIY.org, Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana, Intel, NYC Department of Education, the Sesame Workshop and Make Things Do Stuff.

Together, we'll be engaging more than 500,000 people to learn and make things thanks to the Web.
sign-up

Firefox 21 is now available. It's not up on Mozilla's FTP, but if you check for updates within the browser's updater, it will download and install FF21.

Top Bottom