• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Fuck. The solution seems to be fucking random each "upgrade" Wait for the many "my shit is broke" threads to pop up on the support page. =(

Just out of curiousity, have you already disabled protected mode for flash? I've posted it in here before and it worked for some people but not others.

Not sure. I've been though so much crap with this I forget what I have or have not done.

How to?

To disable Protected Mode, add the following line to your mms.cfg file and save it (you can open the file in notepad):

ProtectedMode=0

The file should be located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

To disable Protected Mode, add the following line to your mms.cfg file and save it (you can open the file in notepad):

ProtectedMode=0

The file should be located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

Thanks! Hopefully this will make a difference. =)

Just wanted to remind everyone that, barring a delay, the final version of Firefox 20 should be hitting Mozilla's FTP site sometime today with a rollout on the main page tomorrow.

This is a big update, finally adding the ability to open a private browsing window without closing your normal window. Also, the Download Manager is getting overhauled.

jediyoshi

New download is pretty nifty. Putting an 'open containing folder' button right on the entries is smart.

jP36Oob.jpg

Makes me sad chrome hasn't found an as elegant solution

Woah, Firefox 20 is amazing.

Chrome has now been rendered absolutely useless to me now that Firefox added standalone private browser sessions. That was the only feature that Chrome had that I wanted.

New download tab thing is great too.

MrBig

New download is pretty nifty. Putting an 'open containing folder' button right on the entries is smart.

jP36Oob.jpg

Makes me sad chrome hasn't found an as elegant solution

Still pales in the utility/ease of use of Download Status Bar. I've always despised the way mozilla obfuscates downloads in a separate window and now behind a drop down.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Solid update. Getting closer and closer to feature parity if not better than Chrome as of late. Mozilla has definitely stepped their game up over these last few releases with stuff like private browsing per tab and the new java script engine.

Is there a way to disable the browser's PDF viewer? It's still way too buggy and slow to be useful. I'd prefer if my PDFs just opened outside of the browser in Foxit Reader as before.

magawolaz

I have noticed kind of a 'problem' in the last couple versions of Firefox that made me go back to Firefox 17... let's see if I can describe it accurately.

Let's take this thread: I clicked this icon
thread_new.gif
, and it brought me to post #910

Then I read every post and reached the bottom of the page; now if I hit the refresh button, Firefox 17 refresh the page and it keeps me around the last post I read... While Firefox 18-19-20 they all refresh the page but they also bring me back to post #910.

It drives me crazy when I want to refresh a hot topic to see new posts, especially on the gaming side where threads move fast, because I need to scroll down again and I don't remember where are the new posts (first world problems, lol)

Is there a way to fix this? I have no problem staying on Firefox 17, but I wouldn't mind the new features :)
Thanks

I have noticed kind of a 'problem' in the last couple versions of Firefox that made me go back to Firefox 17... let's see if I can describe it accurately.

Let's take this thread: I clicked this icon
thread_new.gif
, and it brought me to post #910

Then I read every post and reached the bottom of the page; now if I hit the refresh button, Firefox 17 refresh the page and it keeps me around the last post I read... While Firefox 18-19-20 they all refresh the page but they also bring me back to post #910.

It drives me crazy when I want to refresh a hot topic to see new posts, especially on the gaming side where threads move fast, because I need to scroll down again and I don't remember where are the new posts (first world problems, lol)

Is there a way to fix this? I have no problem staying on Firefox 17, but I wouldn't mind the new features :)
Thanks
It's been driving some of us crazy in this thread and others too, I don't know of any fix, and it's really annoying. Only thing I know is that it behaves normally in the nightly version.

jediyoshi

Still pales in the utility/ease of use of Download Status Bar. I've always despised the way mozilla obfuscates downloads in a separate window and now behind a drop down.

It's still behind a separate window, they're just displayed on both now. Specifically hate the idea of a toolbar for downloads, same reason I dislike it on chrome. Listing entries like that out on a horizontal display is so space inefficient, I prefer my UI as sparse as possible

Road

It's been driving some of us crazy in this thread and others too, I don't know of any fix, and it's really annoying. Only thing I know is that it behaves normally in the nightly version.

When you brought it up, I took it to Mozilla and they fixed it. (Somehow it spent 3 months without nobody complaining about it...)

It's on version 22+ only, though (Aurora is 22 now and Nightly is 23; Firefox will only be 22 on Jun 25).

When you brought it up, I took it to Mozilla and they fixed it. (Somehow it spent 3 months without nobody complaining about it...)

It's on version 22+ only, though (Aurora is 22 now and Nightly is 23; Firefox will only be 22 on Jun 25).
Great news, thanks

Sagitario

Some people did complain. Glad it's getting fixed.

Sagitario

Firefox Mobile still doesn't save the tabs/session when switching or minimizing it.
Well, it save a few tabs.
This was [apparently] fixed in the previous update, but after a few days the problem came back. Mobile 20.0 didn't fix it and tabs keep getting reset :\

hirokazu

Well now they're just doing it the way Safari does it. Which is a big step up from having a separate window at least. I like my Download Status Bar, but I may stop using it in favour of this.

What other significant changes have there been? Also, how much longer before they finally remove the separate search bar by default?

Updated to FF20, now I'm getting 1 sec freezes every 20 secs. I don't think it has anything to do with my sessionrestore because I have that set to 2mins instead of 20 seconds.

Sylver

Banned
New update is a pile of shit.
New download manager is ugly and slow.
When you put a large number of files to download you can easly kill the program. Virus check is painful (16GB RAM) I'm downloading 10 +3GB videos right now, when one of them ends and starts the virus check program freezes again and then you can lost the current downloads.
I hope will be another update pretty soon.
Some sites they first load and then show them, if you open some tabs at the same time (easy if you open link in a new tab...) firefox freezes for some mileseconds, it's kind of annoying. Seems a beta not a final product.

Sylver

Banned
People still use Firefox's d/l mgr? I just use downthemall So much easer.

I have downthemall extension installed too but I usually download from my premium account directly from firefox dl (was more useful 'til now). For multiple accounts downloads then jdownloader is better.
I only use dta+anti-container in pr0n picture sites XD.

jediyoshi

New update is a pile of shit.
New download manager is ugly and slow.
When you put a large number of files to download you can easly kill the program. Virus check is painful (16GB RAM) I'm downloading 10 +3GB videos right now, when one of them ends and starts the virus check program freezes again and then you can lost the current downloads.
I hope will be another update pretty soon.
Some sites they first load and then show them, if you open some tabs at the same time (easy if you open link in a new tab...) firefox freezes for some mileseconds, it's kind of annoying. Seems a beta not a final product.

Is it just ugly or ugly relative to its last iteration? Because either observation is delightfully hilarious

Sylver

Banned
Is it just ugly or ugly relative to its last iteration? Because either observation is delightfully hilarious

Well I think it was better when downloads got its own window. Now when you go show all downloads it's in the same window where Bookmarks, Tags, History are. It's odd so the program is loading more info every time. When you update for the first time you will get All your download history from the beginning with Firefox is your download there or not even you have deleted it. Downloads are integrated they're not independent now, they show "push" notification, these makes all work slowly.

I like the new download manager in that it's not another window to manage. Honestly something I think Safari got right in one of the last few iterations.

The current look to the download window could be tweaked though. Way to glossy and generally heavy/blech to me.

IceCold

I don't know if it's Firefox 20 that did this but the right click menu is fuckin huge now with random crap like play, pause, show controls, show statistics, add to dictionary, save video as, etc. When I click on them nothing happens, even those I normally use like Open link in new tab.

IceCold

I don't know if it's Firefox 20 that did this but the right click menu is fuckin huge now with random crap like play, pause, show controls, show statistics, add to dictionary, save video as, etc. When I click on them nothing happens, even those I normally use like Open link in new tab.

Looks like it's an actual bug guys: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1165058

Disabling firebug worked but created another problem....

Now when I right click in most places the context menu is blank.

Goddammit.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I remember that I once installed a XUL version of Firebug and it caused that. Make sure you don't have it installed.

I think I had to do a reset after that. Then I imported my extensions and stuff after.

Top Bottom