• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Pooya

It certainly was not for me. Even a few hours ago it had some message saying, "We're not ready to certify Firefox 21 just yet! Sorry!"

you have to browse the ftp site and go to releases from there, if you go to the release/21 page directly you'll see that message :p

you have to browse the ftp site and go to releases from there, if you go to the release/21 page directly you'll see that message :p

I was definitely on the FTP site.

At the root of "ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/21.0/" is where it had that message.

Is there an advantage to grabbing it from the FTP instead of just doing the auto-update? I usually just let it update itself but didn't know if there are any drawbacks

Vert boil

Only one minor problem with the new version so far.

Clicking on mp3 files will load them directly into the built in player instead of opening the save menu like it did in previous versions. Right click and selecting DownloadThemAll works normally so it's only a minor inconvenience.

Tried all of the obvious things but nothings worked so far. The strange thing is every other media file brings up the save menu like normal.

May as well post this as it came up in my searches for a solution,

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2704649

They seemed to have apparently disabled by default a previously used plugin location.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins

In about:config changing plugins.load_appdir_plugins to true will let firefox see the old directory.

Road

Only one minor problem with the new version so far.

Clicking on mp3 files will load them directly into the built in player instead of opening the save menu like it did in previous versions. Right click and selecting DownloadThemAll works normally so it's only a minor inconvenience.

Tried all of the obvious things but nothings worked so far. The strange thing is every other media file brings up the save menu like normal.

In about:config, setting "media.windows-media-foundation.enabled" to false will disable the native Firefox player for the proprietary media files (mp3, mp4, I think aac too).

They really should add them media files to the application choices, though, like we have for pdf, for instance.

Vert boil

In about:config, setting "media.windows-media-foundation.enabled" to false will disable the native Firefox player for the proprietary media files (mp3, mp4, I think aac too).

They really should add them media files to the application choices, though, like we have for pdf, for instance.

Nice, cheers. That solved the problem but another popped up but I squelched it.

Not sure if they were set this way before (they didn't appear this way when I looked earlier) but all of the media types were set to quicktime and it spat up an error when clicking on an mp3 (it wanted the software but I only have the dll's on my system). Switched them over to Save File in the options and it's working again.

xoxo

is there a script/ add-on /whatever for firefox where i can have the same tab key features like in chrome.
it raises my productivity enormously, because i don't have to select the site first. instead i just write youtube (for example) in the adress bar, press the tab key and i can write the word which i want to be searched.
screenshot2013-05-15apwjsh.png

is there a script/ add-on /whatever for firefox where i can have the same tab key features like in chrome.
it raises my productivity enormously, because i don't have to select the site first. instead i just write youtube (for example) in the adress bar, press the tab key and i can write the word which i want to be searched.
screenshot2013-05-15apwjsh.png

Yes, there's a native feature for that, you don't even need an add-on:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-search-from-address-bar

Teppic

Then just restore the old download manager by typing about:config in the address bar and setting browser.download.useToolkitUI to true.
Thank you! The new download manager really sucks.

Thanks for this too!

So many sucky new features.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not much added in this release, but I gotta admit the Firefox Health Report is rather cool. Definitely some really useful info in there!

inm8num2

Hmm, my Adblock Plus isn't blocking ads on sites I have set for blocking. I haven't changed any settings anywhere, and the icon is active in my plugin tray. But, it's simply not working. Tried restarting FF to no avail.

Pegasos123

back then i and a buddy had issues with firefox and windows 8 ... firefox caused PC freezing then we switched to chrome.

was this issue known and was it fixed?

anyway i switched back to windows 7 :p

Dany

Banned
My bretheren, I have switched back to firefox because chrome is shit.

Also nightly has stopped working for me? Just crashes upon boot.

inm8num2

Hmm, my Adblock Plus isn't blocking ads on sites I have set for blocking. I haven't changed any settings anywhere, and the icon is active in my plugin tray. But, it's simply not working. Tried restarting FF to no avail.

Is anyone else having this issue? It's strange and I can't seem to figure out the cause. Google search brings up little to nothing.

I tested ABP in Chrome and it worked fine.

edit - updated my filter subscription and I think that did the trick

Australis is almost here!

The project that has been guiding Mozilla’s exploration of what a modern browser should look like is Australis (because Mozilla apparently likes to name projects after star systems) and the fruits of this project will soon find their way into the Firefox release channels, starting with Nightly once it hits version 25 soon. After that, it will make its way through the usual release channels, though Nightingale told me that the team may hold it back from the stable channel a bit longer to ensure that everything works smoothly.

Lima

Yeah, that is strange. I hate having to install an extension to get rid of that search bar.

The fuck?

You just right click anywhere in the top bar of the browser and use customize option and drag and drop the search bar out if you don't want it.

I went back from Chrome to Firefox because I wanted more extensions and Chrome's behaviour (e.g. with CTRL + F or with tabs) is a little odd.

When will they finally fix/change Firefox Sync? It's the worst syncing service I've ever used.

Madtown_

I did that before but it doesn't seem to search as nicely as omnibar

the fuck
You can set up keywords with no extensions necessary. For example, 'a <query>' to search amazon, 't <query>' for twitter, and so on. The weird thing about it was that I had to use the search box to set them up, though maybe there is a way to do it without it.

FYC

Banned
Everything is permanently zoomed in. The toolbar / address bar / shortcut icons / history window... All of that is bloated. Every new page is zoomed in by default until I zoom out manually. I have no idea what I did.

Couldn't find any help on google without telling me to use addons. I'm sure I don't need one considering I don't have any outside of downloadhelper installed, so how did I do this in the first place? Surely I can revert it. Help please :(

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You can always try to restart with addons disabled (Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled). I'm not sure what else could be it.

Im_Special

Firefox now scales with Windows own display scaling options which may render text larger on high resolution displays, so if you are using an add-on such as NoSquint you can either now uninstall that memory hog or adjust it.

This Firefox update is amazing BTW.

Just updated to 22.

Wow, it seems like they've somehow improved the web rendering speed even more.

Heavier pages now fly even faster.

GAF, which was already made quicker thanks to the recent update is even smoother now.

Im_Special

Yeah, the integration of asm.js makes JavaScript code execute a lot faster now and WebGL rendering performance has been improved, and even memory usage was Improved more so now when rendering images. This coupled with the changes to the back-end for plugins in such makes this a pretty nice update.

Pooya

updated to 22. Omnibar seems to have problems? address bar looks very big with it...
Any other addon that can change search engine from addressbar like it?

I'm not a fan of how everything is zoomed in now. Is twitch.tv working for you guys? It stopped working as soon as the update went live. The streams just won't load, same with the chat.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a faulty module.

Bah, I'm still having the issue where the flash plug-in is causing firefox to hang when loading certain sites. I did every fix I saw on their support forums - add a 'protected mode' line to the cfg, downgrade flash player - but no success.

I guess I gotta wait for a flash update rather than a firefox one.

Top Bottom