• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

I'm guessing Firefox 24 has been working great for people here who have been using it? After I downloaded the update, I kept getting lots of crashes, so I had to switch browsers. I don't have the faintest idea as to why I kept getting crashes. I have used Firefox 23, and previous vesions as well, and I only experienced a few crashes here and there, but with Firefox 24 I just kept on getting crashes left and right. Within 5 minutes of installing Firefox 24 I got my first crash, which was strange to me. I thought it was just my laptop giving me problems, but the desktop computer we have did the same thing when I upgraded it to Firefox 24 as well. I uninstalled the browser completely on both computers, reinstalled fresh versions, and the crashes were still happening. I scanned both computers, both seem to be fine, and Chrome works like it should too. I only had 3 add-ons on Firefox, two of which were installed by my internet security software, and another add-on that a lot of people use. Flash was also updated to its latest version. I'm going to give Firefox another chance with the future 25 release, but as of now I'm staying away from it. Does anyone here know what causes crashes in Firefox?

neoism

What do you guys run? I'm on Aurora(26) and running at least 25 addons and everything works.

I only have like 8 addons but I posted a few weeks ago in this thread I updated to 23 and it just fucked up windows... I think it was mostly from a virus but it only started once 23 was installed... after reinstalling win 7 and a running a bunch of virus softwares like hitman 64 bit and malwarebytes.. it works great now... but 23 made Firefox run like shit, that and my whole computer was insanely slow.... but thankfully it works great now... I still cant install SP1 though... I've tried for like 2 years ever since it was released but the few dozen times I tried it would just go to 99% installed and then fuck up... I even had the iso with SP1 already in the download but my key is only for non SP1.. My hard-drive is old though over 4 years.. I had like 300+gb of stuff I thought I lost but I backed it up, I really dont want to get Win 8 other then that it works like before...
But I will probably have to though am getting a new computer in a month or so with an SSD and win 8 will probably be the best chose because Microsoft will not sale win 7 keys anymore

neoism

This sounds more like an issue with your Windows copy and other stuff than Firefox.

well yeah the SP1 one stuff I'm sure, its a genuine copy and all that.. but the slowness and shittiness and firefox happen like minutes after I upgraded to FF23... but it slowed down everything not just my FF... Its not my HD either did a bunch of tests in cmd and defraged, and what not.. I wouldn't mine to do a complete reformat but I'm not smart enough to get all the right drivers or where to look for them... you now for the sound card the internet, etc.... It is funny though after the install I put my key in and it didn't work.. I had to do that call in thing where you have to tell them like a bunch of numbers and then they give you numbers to put in.. It said it was genuine.. I do really need another new computer... its been a great machine got it in 09 for like 1600 the card had just came out...
2.7 i5
8gb ram
played over 2000 + hours of gaming and lol the time on gaf and the net...<3
for next gen I will definitely need a new card.. only had to replace one back cooler fan.. the gpu fan is still kicking knock on wood. I got the machine on Ibuypower.com with win 7 already installed

Orayn

My forum tabs on NeoGAF are blurry in FF, but not Chrome.

4Iq1c.png

Anyone know what's up with this?

Madtown_

Just tried out Firefox mobile on Android again. Had previously tried it out maybe 3-4 months ago, did not like it at all.

Huge improvement, and now my goto until proven otherwise. It's a lot snappier, I like the UI and it doesn't seem to be a resource hog.

Schrade

Just tried out Firefox mobile on Android again. Had previously tried it out maybe 3-4 months ago, did not like it at all.

Huge improvement, and now my goto until proven otherwise. It's a lot snappier, I like the UI and it doesn't seem to be a resource hog.

It's all I use for web browsing on my Nexus 7. Startup time can be a bit slow, though. I do know they're working on that. I'm using the beta, btw.

Just can't beat Firefox's GIF handling :)

Madtown_

It's all I use for web browsing on my Nexus 7. Startup time can be a bit slow, though. I do know they're working on that. I'm using the beta, btw.

Just can't beat Firefox's GIF handling :)
Yeah, I was shocked at how well it handled a few gifs. Along with sync, it doesn't get much better. Well done, Mozilla!

Road

Yeah, I was shocked at how well it handled a few gifs. Along with sync, it doesn't get much better. Well done, Mozilla!

It can get much better on phones. It has improved, but it's still slow as hell to fully load, and it eats RAM leading to it randomly closing (my phone is only 1GB, though), especially with extensions.

That said, I need my "awesome bar", extensions and Sync (since I use Fx everywhere else), so I use it anyway.

How does sync work? I never bothered to set it up.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-sync-take-your-bookmarks-and-tabs-with-you
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/sync/

=P

It works as intended (add-on syncing is obviously limited). BUT if you're gonna store passwords (regardless of Sync), make sure to always set up the master password on whichever Firefox you're using: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-master-password-protect-stored-logins

Madtown_

Does the master password still prompt you every time you start up Firefox? I remember that being a major annoyance for me 2 or so years ago when I last tried to use that feature.

Mozilla launches Get Australis: invites everyone to install the latest Firefox Australis version

The new Australis interface that Mozilla plans to ship in one of the future versions of the Firefox web browser is as controversial as it can get in the community. While some applaud Mozilla for the fresh modern look that it ships with, others dislike it because of its resemblance to Google Chrome's interface or because of the interface elements that Mozilla will change or remove from the browser in the process.

Things are not as dire as they seem, and this can be mostly attributed to Firefox's add-on support. Browser extensions are in the making that will restore features that were removed in Australis from the browser. While that is not the same as native features, it is the next best thing and probably the only hope of Firefox users who do not want to miss features that Mozilla removes from the browser.

Australis is still only available as a special UX build that is independently updated from all other browser channels that Mozilla makes available. It looks as if the deployment of Australis will get delayed, considering that the nightly version of the browser reached version 27 recently and that Australis was said to be launched way before that.

The Get Australis website aims to promote Australis to users of the browser. It enables interested users to download the latest Australis UX build to their system so that they can check it out and take it for a test ride.

Here it is on my computer. Which is Chrome? Which is Firefox?:

Mr_Zombie

Here it is on my computer. Which is Chrome? Which is Firefox?:

The one with prettier toolbar is Firefox ;)

EDIT: Ok, I've installed Australis and add-on bar has to return. All the icons I had in add-on bar were either moved to the main toolbar (3 additional icons) or were removed. Add-on bar was fine because it was pretty small and non-intrusive and yet you could put a shitton of icons there. There's no such place on toolbar for that - any additional icon will decrease the size of your searchbox and url bar. At least Mozilla should provide a place where you could hide all those add-on icons under one expanding menu.

EDIT2: I'm stupid. It seems you can place add-on icons in the option menu. It looks ugly there though, since most add-on icons are small and are resized for the panel.

New booksmark sidebar in the beta looks ugly, and moving the x button all the way to the right on the new find bar was also a stupid change.

Mozilla considers switching to a 9 week release schedule

When Mozilla announced that it would change the Firefox release model to one that it called Rapid Release Model, it was seen by part of the browser's user base to compete with the Google Chrome browser which outpaced Firefox release wide.

Not all users liked the new model with its new releases every six weeks, and the Extended Support Release (ESR) was introduced by Mozilla to give all who could not or did not want to keep up with an alternative.

The current release cycle has a length of 18 weeks from the first day a Nightly build is created to the day it is released as a stable build. Builds are kept for six weeks in the Nightly channel before they are moved to the Aurora channel where they stay another six weeks. The build is then moved to the Beta channel and after six weeks of staying there is released to the public as the new final version of Firefox.

It takes 18 weeks of development to create a new Firefox version, with new stable builds being released every six weeks to the public.

Mozilla is contemplating a change in the release schedule that won't have the same wide-ranging impact that the Rapid Release Model had. The idea is to stay true to the 18 week development cycle but change how long builds are kept in the different channels.

Jubern

Does anyone have a problem with scrolling? Since a bit earlier today, scrolling with the mouse wheel or the trackpad (MBA, so two-finger gesture) has randomly stopped working for me...
If I reboot Firefox it starts working again, but pretty quickly it does it again. Can't scroll anymore unless I click & drag the actual scroll button on the right side é_è

edit: After some testing, it looks like it happens when I want to use either the page forward or the page back gesture. The gesture doesn't work and after that no scrolling (not even with the USB mouse I have next to the Mac), no gesture. But only in Firefox, everything else is good.

Sagitario

Universal/shared Find Bar between all tabs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> individual per tap Find Bar

It's one of the things I hate the most about Chrome and it's now on Firefox. Freaking great :\

inm8num2

Got the update to 25. No problems so far, but I preferred the old search and history bar/pane. I liked switching between pages when looking for the same thing and not having to Ctrl-F each time.

Got the update to 25. No problems so far, but I preferred the old search and history bar/pane. I liked switching between pages when looking for the same thing and not having to Ctrl-F each time.
I think I'm done updating, its a downgrade in looks and functionality.

Universal/shared Find Bar between all tabs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> individual per tap Find Bar

It's one of the things I hate the most about Chrome and it's now on Firefox. Freaking great :\

You can restore the old behavior using this addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/findbar-tweak/

Arkanius

I've recently changed to Firefox (Nightly 28) and I find the scrolling performance very choppy on some websites (TheVerge.com for example)

Is the Nightly or it's just a problem on my end?

neoanarch

I've recently changed to Firefox (Nightly 28) and I find the scrolling performance very choppy on some websites (TheVerge.com for example)

Is the Nightly or it's just a problem on my end?

I'm getting choppy scrolling and page becomes distored.Turning off hardware accelaration fixed it.

Nice surprise with 26 and aac/mp3/h264 playback.I didn't realize that was coming so soon.

Vert boil

Anyone else using FireGesture and the last update completely borked it? The right click menu kept appearing after each gesture which caused tabs to close/go back to a previous page in rapid succession.

[exaggeration]It is literally impossible to browse without gestures,[/exaggeration] had to switch to another plugin.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone else using FireGesture and the last update completely borked it? The right click menu kept appearing after each gesture which caused tabs to close/go back to a previous page in rapid succession.

I've just updated it to 1.7.14 and using FF 25.0 I have (thankfully) no problems with the add-on.

[exaggeration]It is literally impossible to browse without gestures,[/exaggeration]

It's not an exaggeration. Very often, when I'm using someone else's computer, I find myself trying to use gestures to go back, refresh page, unclose tab or go to the top of the page. And then I'm frustrated that I have to use... buttons and menus like some kind of caveman. *shudders*

I probably asked this before but I recently rebooted my computer and did a clean install. However I noticed that some sites load awfully and become hard to navigate and lose function.

Sites ask to install the Flash plugin but when I tried this happens.

I can't even download the Windows Security Essential Antivirus because Microsoft site also loads badly. What can I do?

Don't worry if you can't see the pictures, they aren't any because Imgur doesn't work with the outdated flash plug in.

Edit: Managed to get pics up.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Looks like page styles are disabled.

View > Page Style > Basic Page Style.

If that's not it, then something blocking CSS.

Top Bottom